18 Year Old Moving To Thailand?

kevbomac05

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Prepare for a ragging mate.

You leave it till Post 93 to warn him? Some friend you are....

Some of the OPs on this forum should add the following health warning "I am hyper-sensitive, easily offended, and have a limited sense of humour" - fortunately this young man seems quite ... thick-skinned - tolerant - easy going.

Really, I would recommend taking the netbook, not the laptop

SC

I wonder if I should have asked for advice when I went travelling?

I'd not have listened, anyway...

Anytime.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just do it mate...if you don't you will blame your mum or ...for the rest of your life...especially if you end up stuck in some less than challenging lifestyle.

Of course you will f up big time "sometimes" but bet there are very few on TV or.. ( regardless of age or circumstance) that have not made some "mistakes" in their lives...especially in foreign parts ( no pun..lol)....

Good luck....

ever heard of "sliding doors" ?

If you need a couple ideas for lodging for your first few nights in the Bangkok area, PM (private message) me. I know of a couple places at an average of 300-500 baht ($10-$15 US), and most guests are young travelers where you can share info. (no, not Khao San Road area).

Hmmmmm, :ermm:

Seconded...with the best of intentions....sometime axe murdering member.....or worse! :ermm:

Yes, gents, there ARE places less luxurious than the 6-star palaces you normally are used to! whistling.gif I stay there every time on my trips to Bangkok and they are clean, safe, cool, and comfortable. Not everyone flies as high as the hi-so skeptics! laugh.gif

This story actually reminds me of one I am currently reading on a Swiss Forum about a young guy asking how much a day to eat, where to go, where to stay. This guy has a very low budget to enjoy his stay in Switzerland.

Some of the people that replied to him advised him to change his destination to Thailand!!!

edited - changed "survive" to enjoy his stay!!

Edited by Patsycat

Provided you have a visa from the Embassy in your home country

there is no problem in flying on a oneway ticket.

However, return tickets can cost the same as a one-way, sometimes less,

so give yourself the option to get out if things go wrong and you have little

or no money left.

On the visa side, try and get the double entry Tourist Visa.

This will allow you to stay for 60 days initially, then you

can do side trip to Malaysia/Cambodia/Laos, your choice,

and come back for another 60 days.

You will not be able to get a visa to stay long term unless you have a job

and as already said that is not an option open to you.

Beware of people who offer you free accommodation/drinks/food.

Read about the notorious Charles Sobhraj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sobhraj

No, there's definitely some "guud avise"- especially concerning the visa- but, of course, there's a few people who like to lay on the doom and gloom , while doing a pretty bad job of hiding their own jealousy of youth. I know plenty of young people who've travelled here, a lot with much more haphazard plans than the original poster, and they all had a great time. In fact there's a whole world of social contact and support that young people get from other young travellers. He'll be fine.

Unless "guud avise" is an exotic German term I'm not familiar with and means something different. wink.gif

Hey, man - I wish you a great and safe journey. Don't pack too much. You can buy clothes here for a dime. Treat the ladies good and don't be a fool with your money. I envy your gumption. Wish I would've had the balls to take the trip when I was your age. Hopefully you'll earn a masters degree in the school of life. But, please buy a roundtrip ticket. SE Asia isn't for everybody and you only need 1 laptop.

Chok dee

Presuming OP is not a Troll, I wonder if he expected 100+ posts, and all the aggression.

;)

whats aggressive . teling an i8 yearold he has a bad idea is guud avise.

Relax pal, I wasnt aiming at anyone particular.

:)

Just noticed it has been quite a few posts aimed at each other in this thread.

;)

For the record, I agree with you. See post # 25.

"so im coming to Thailand on a one way ticket the 27th of September

i make a little money from the computer

what would you recommend for the rainy season

ill be traveling around all over and to other countries too

what backpack do you recommend

ill be staying in hostels so should i book online or is it best to bargian and go to the place and see the room and stuff?

never been out of the country from the united states

any advice would be appreciated?

also dont have a visa yet but i got the form any help on that would be great

"

You could live without a visa, assuming you have an American passport in your own name. DOn't quite see why you are "moving to thailand" - seems a little bit unambitous and limiting; why not spend 30 days here, move on somewhere else... ad nauseam until you decide where you want to settle down? The only thing is that it is often easier to get a visa in your home country, I believe. THat is certainly what a lot of bureaucrats expect you to do...Oh God, that reminds me of all the hassle with getting documents verified and ... anyway, I'm sure it will be fine.

Internet gambling is illegal in Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong (and further afield, Dubai) - I've not really lived anywhere else, so can't comment on other countries nearby, so since you've published your intent to go head to head with the long arm of the law, I'd suggest you might want to keep on your running shoes (or at least your 'made for walking' boots.

I wouldn't recommend booking accomodation until you found out where you were;

I think you'll be struggling to catch the end of the rainy season, and there's no point in worrying about next rainy season yet...

SC

I really can't imagine setting off with such a scant plan; I remember in my youth setting off, but I always knew where i was coming back to, even if I didn't know where i was going to...

I wonder why you want to "move to Thailand"?

That is a big step to take, without even knowing what the country is like..........

"moving to thailand" - seems a little bit unambitous and limiting; why not spend 30 days here, move on somewhere else...

ad nauseam until you decide where you want to settle down?

Now that is good advice.

If your motivation is what I suspect, then pack plenty of condoms,

the local ones tend to be rather small for westerners.

I wonder why you want to "move to Thailand"?

That is a big step to take, without even knowing what the country is like..........

"moving to thailand" - seems a little bit unambitous and limiting; why not spend 30 days here, move on somewhere else...

ad nauseam until you decide where you want to settle down?

Now that is good advice.

If your motivation is what I suspect, then pack plenty of condoms,

the local ones tend to be rather small for westerners.

are all westernerls giants:lol: :lol: :lol: . half the thai girls wont even service a westerners! not counting the bottmo 30 % who will do anything:lol: :lol:

Edited by mrdeedee

Lol.... 18 years old? I am trying to visualize this lad.

Moving to Thailand?

With a backpack?

A leaf in the wind I think. The most intelligent thing you came out with was coming on here to ask for advice, because you are obviously totally unprepared, as well as not sure of what you want to do. Are you just coming here to do a little backpacking?.. Or are you moving here? (To me)... moving here means, emigrating.

By international law, the company selling you the one way ticket, should be checking that you are eligible to gain entry to the destination country . It is my belief that they are not allowed to sell you such a ticket unless you have formally declared (or shown proof) that you have the ability to leave that country under the restrictions of that countries immigration laws.

Obviously you are coming here on a tourist visa, which you can get here when you arrive for 30 days. Beyond that, (and again I am trying to visualize) as an 18 year old fresh faced youth, trying to get your visa renewal may be a little tougher than you think, seeing as you make a little money.

I'm not trying to be critical, but saying this from experience. I was the same as you at 18 and I am now 45. I know, there is a big difference between the reception a middle aged farang can expect from a Thai immigration official and the reception you can expect. as a young kid. For starters, They don't bat an eyelid at the middle aged variety and always assume there are plenty of funds in tow. You however have a very good chance of being asked to produce proof of being able to support yourself.

Forget telling them about you making money online. This could land you in big trouble if you were to let slip that you maintain this from a PC in Thailand. They will class that as illegally working, and you will be in that immigration detention center before your feet touch the ground, (at worst) and ear-marked for deportation back home.

I think you need to do a lot more studying my friend . Come here for 30 days, then make up your mind... Carry credit cards, and have a printout of your most recent bank balance. DO NOT MENTION YOUR ONLINE DEALINGS!! If you are broke, don't come here on a one way (if you got one).

Always tell your parents when you will be back home.

"so im coming to Thailand on a one way ticket the 27th of September

i make a little money from the computer

what would you recommend for the rainy season

ill be traveling around all over and to other countries too

what backpack do you recommend

ill be staying in hostels so should i book online or is it best to bargian and go to the place and see the room and stuff?

never been out of the country from the united states

any advice would be appreciated?

also dont have a visa yet but i got the form any help on that would be great

"

You could live without a visa, assuming you have an American passport in your own name. DOn't quite see why you are "moving to thailand" - seems a little bit unambitous and limiting; why not spend 30 days here, move on somewhere else... ad nauseam until you decide where you want to settle down? The only thing is that it is often easier to get a visa in your home country, I believe. THat is certainly what a lot of bureaucrats expect you to do...Oh God, that reminds me of all the hassle with getting documents verified and ... anyway, I'm sure it will be fine.

Internet gambling is illegal in Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong (and further afield, Dubai) - I've not really lived anywhere else, so can't comment on other countries nearby, so since you've published your intent to go head to head with the long arm of the law, I'd suggest you might want to keep on your running shoes (or at least your 'made for walking' boots.

I wouldn't recommend booking accomodation until you found out where you were;

I think you'll be struggling to catch the end of the rainy season, and there's no point in worrying about next rainy season yet...

SC

I really can't imagine setting off with such a scant plan; I remember in my youth setting off, but I always knew where i was coming back to, even if I didn't know where i was going to...

thanks for the info

i say im moving to Thailand but basically just moving out of the states and ready for anything any place

so ill definitely check out all the countries i just hear Thailand is great and thats where the backpackers start so

about the money should i just carry my credit card on me and just carry only like a 1,000 baht cash on me or what?

backpackers posting here??????????????????????/:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just men taken advantage by issan winnim w 3rd grade edukations!

Well, how was he supposed to know that? When I moved to Thailand, I didn't know about the large number of older western men living here, and I certainly didn't know that Thai Visa was dominated by them! Imagine my disappointment when I found out. Lol. :D Without spending hours and hours reading through random posts, there's no way for a new poster to know what kind of people typically post on TV.

To the OP....another poster was right when he said that you may want to consider other websites that cater more toward the young backpacker crowd. They would probably be more helpful given your specific situation. Yes, I agree that you may have unrealistic expectations about your move to Thailand, and there's a decent chance that you might fail and have to turn around and go home. But isn't that kind of what being 18 is about? There's lots of people your age chasing "silly" dreams. Not everyone has to follow the same path in life (high school, university, job, save money, then move to Thailand). If it doesn't work out for you, fine, I'm sure you will have learned something from it.

I do agree that it would be wise to have insurance and reserve funds for a trip home in case it doesn't work out, but other than that, why not? When an older guy is considering moving to Thailand, they tend to get comments like "You will never know if you don't try." I don't see why you can't follow that advice too just because you are only 18. In a way, 18 might be a better time to travel and live here for a little while, because you're probably used to living on practically nothing, you're willing to sleep almost anywhere, and you can instantly make friends just from partying with the other young people touring Thailand for extended periods. Just be smart about things.

One tip: If you are short on cash, instead of staying in hostels/guesthouses, have you considered Couch Surfing? I have several friends in Thailand who have hosted, and some of their couch surfers spent months bopping around Thailand, staying with different people for free.

• 3 weeks later...

If you need a couple ideas for lodging for your first few nights in the Bangkok area, PM (private message) me. I know of a couple places at an average of 300-500 baht ($10-$15 US), and most guests are young travelers where you can share info. (no, not Khao San Road area).

Doubt he can even pay for a 300 baht a night fan room. lol.

I'd suggest he go to Cambodia. He can gamble all he wants, live in a $3/night shack, and play the guitar like the rest of the broke backpackers over there. He'd fit in quite nicely.

The airline will not allow you onboard the plane without an exit ticket as has been stated by many other contributors already. But if you obtain one, then you could register with a non-profit organization called couchsurfing.org which maintains a network of individuals who offer accommodation for free to travellers all over the world. See Couchsurfing FAQ