Best Cheapest Way To Extend Retirement Visa

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I said somewhere above, If you use the 800K baht in the bank for 2 months method, there is no need whatsoever to have any contact with the US Embassy in Thailand; that contact is only in the case for affirmation of monthly 65K Baht income method.

1) TM7 form filled and signed with pasted photo

2) Copies of passport pertinent pages (picture page, original visa page, entry date page, stamped pages, etc)

3) Bank letter showing minimum balance of 800,000 baht at least 90 days prior to renewal application

4) Copies of bank passbook pages showing up-to-date entries for the last 90 days to show balance has not dropped below 800,000 baht

5) Fee of 1900 baht payable in cash

Also if you receive a pension you can get it paid into Thailand if 65000THB you do not need 800.000 in the bank but you will a notorised letter from your embassy to prove this, also what ever your pesion is the deposit in the bank will be pro rated, ie pension od 32, 500 you only 400.000 int the bank, all this information is available at any imm ofice,

Thanks for all the good advice. I think this first year to be on the safe side I will wire back the 800,000 before 3 months in another account. But I still want to see if the income method would suffice first.

I am a US citizen have investment portfolio etc. I can see how it can be a nightmare for some thai visa agent to pull out the income from various accounts, documents. After all interest is .025% on cash. I do get peatty reasonable pension but i think doesnt cover the amount. The rest is invested in bonds , munis etc. What kind of evidence do I need to bring? Perhaps letter from certiied accountant, or just try to dump all the papers on their desK???? They net value is pretty good . However if there some requirement I go to the embassy to have this documents checked from investment advior which I would dread wasting the whole day. Any advice what proof is easiest and aceptable outside income can I bring? Is there a paper from Social security office I could get for example?

BTW to the previous replier I used a lawyer cause i didnt have the time and was 1000$ fee plus 10,000Baht under table money else they would appartnatly hold the passport too long and I needed to get over to China. He also prepared all the documents for the non immigrant visa. the 1000$ was worth it to me but didnt appreciate the 10,000baht tea money

As this is your first year and you have a multi-entry visa, you can extend your existing visa by leaving the country(Thailand) just prior to the expiry date of your current visa and re- enter Thailand to get a further 12 months....as long as you re-enter prior to the current expiry date....just hop over the nearest border to where you are staying.After this extension you will have to carry out the actions mentioned on this subject by other posters

Can all clarify if the 800,000 has to be in a thai bank or can much larger sum in a USA 500,000usd bank/broker. I prefer rather than just let 800,000 sit uninvested in a thai bank. Bob

World wide bank HSBC pays interest on retirement deposit.

PS are you wanted by USA authority ?

Ableguy, if someone is using monthly income to quality for an extension of stay, either entirely or in part (along with bank deposits), the monthly income can be earned and deposited ANYWHERE... The monthly income doesn't have to be brought into Thailand in order to be counted as monthly income for immigration purposes.It just has to be certified by an income letter issued by the person's consulate in Thailand.

Any funds a person is using as bank deposits, however, do have to be deposited in a "bank in Thailand."

The requirements are not the same for those two different kinds of funds...

Thanks for all the good advice. I think this first year to be on the safe side I will wire back the 800,000 before 3 months in another account. But I still want to see if the income method would suffice first.

I am a US citizen have investment portfolio etc. I can see how it can be a nightmare for some thai visa agent to pull out the income from various accounts, documents. After all interest is .025% on cash. I do get peatty reasonable pension but i think doesnt cover the amount. The rest is invested in bonds , munis etc. What kind of evidence do I need to bring? Perhaps letter from certiied accountant, or just try to dump all the papers on their desK???? They net value is pretty good . However if there some requirement I go to the embassy to have this documents checked from investment advior which I would dread wasting the whole day. Any advice what proof is easiest and aceptable outside income can I bring? Is there a paper from Social security office I could get for example?

BTW to the previous replier I used a lawyer cause i didnt have the time and was 1000$ fee plus 10,000Baht under table money else they would appartnatly hold the passport too long and I needed to get over to China. He also prepared all the documents for the non immigrant visa. the 1000$ was worth it to me but didnt appreciate the 10,000baht tea money

Bob check out the requirements for Non Imm Investment Visa. It is far easier than retirement. (if you have funds)

Edited by asiawatcher

Why did you pay a lawyer for something which is quite simple ( only ONE requirement, 800.000 bath in the bank for the last 3 months) and requires only 10 minutes at immigration?

Why did you pay a lawyer for something which is quite simple ( only ONE requirement, 800.000 bath in the bank for the last 3 months) and requires only 10 minutes at immigration?

There is no holding of passport (the longest time would be Pattaya where they keep overnight) and at most places it is about a 20 minute process.

Cost 1,900 baht for one year extension of stay.

Cost 3,800 baht for matching one year multi re-entry permit or 1,000 baht single entry.

If you do not have initial non immigrant visa 2,000 baht for that.

Is that 3800 for the Reentry permit only or the total for the extension and reentry permit?

I dont want to deal (with) the American embassy in the least to invade my constitutional privacy... Well as we Americans also say ' No harm ... no foul."

However, the best embodiment of your 'constitutional privacy' in this case is not to seek an income statement from the US Embassy but just do the 800k aged for 2 months-in-the-bank routine and then you never have to set foot on US property or make any statement to the US Government in order to obtain your extension of stay in The Kingdom of Thailand

I doubt the 'invasion of privacy' has much to do with this but I personally abhor having to deal with any government agency for anything.

Prime example:

I needed a certified copy of my wife passport so I could apply for an ITIN for tax purposes. Easy right? Oh no. First I had to go to the foreign ministry so they could certify that it was an original document. (Nevermind that entire earth recognizes it as a valid document for travel). Then I had to take it back to the consulate so they could certify that the guy at the foreign ministry that certified the passport was in fact an individual that was certified to certify the document. All told: $100 USD

Go to US embassy or consulate, attest on their provided form that you have 800000 baht income per year, no proof needed, have them notarize the form, and you're covered.

Of course if you're lying about that, you will be committing two crimes, one lying to your embassy, and two lying to Thai immigration.

Can anyone confirm, please

Regarding to 800,000 in a Thai bank. Can the bank account be a fixed deposit account?

I have this sum in a 1 year fixed deposit account and assuming it is a qualifying account, then how do I update the bank book just before applying for retirement visa as there will be no change to anything and nothing to update until the i year maturity anniversary? Or will a copy of the bank book and letter from the bank be all that is required?

TIA

Twix, I believe if you read thru the various threads on the subject, you will find mixed reports on Immigration accepting or not accepting fixed deposit accounts. Some offices apparently do, others apparently do not. Or it may even come down to officer by officer.

Best path is to probably check with the particular Immigration office where you need to do your business. Or if it's one of the larger ones, search here on TV for the name of that office and fixed deposits, to see what their trend is.

In principal and by rule, there's no reason Immigration shouldn't accept it, since the money IS in a bank in Thailand, which is what the regulation says... But. YMMV....

Be aware, if you're qualifying based on bank deposit only, the money would have to be on deposit at least two months prior to your first extension of stay, or three months prior for all subsequent extensions of stay.

Can anyone confirm, please

Regarding to 800,000 in a Thai bank. Can the bank account be a fixed deposit account?

I have this sum in a 1 year fixed deposit account and assuming it is a qualifying account, then how do I update the bank book just before applying for retirement visa as there will be no change to anything and nothing to update until the i year maturity anniversary? Or will a copy of the bank book and letter from the bank be all that is required?

TIA

• Like 1

It's 1,900 baht fee for the one-year extension of stay...

And then, if you need or choose to get a re-entry permit (which generally is a smart idea), those are 1,000 for single entry and 3,800 baht for multiple (unlimited) entry during the year of your extension.

Cost 1,900 baht for one year extension of stay.

Cost 3,800 baht for matching one year multi re-entry permit or 1,000 baht single entry.

If you do not have initial non immigrant visa 2,000 baht for that.

Is that 3800 for the Reentry permit only or the total for the extension and reentry permit?

Answer WHY USE A LAWWYER???? First u need a non imigrant O or B visa to get going first which requires application in USA. Lawyer provided about 1 inch of documentation to send to a US consulate to get B visa., gave sent compnay finacial statements invitations and contacts etc. applications all. Then he openned an bank account for me before I even had an immigrant visa through a connection and and could wire 800K right away becasue i wasnt planning to comeback to thailand for a few months. The bank are technically not allowed to do that with tourist visa. Most banks wont do until u have the visa so its catrch 22. Then after 3 months I came back he got tme the retriement visa, retentry permit in one day. I would say was well worth the $1000 money. For me it was the best legal service I have ever had for the price. I have needed allot of lawyer in my day so I am sure.

The question my post was is how to renew without the need for legal help and tea money. It has basocally been answered I was just hoping not to let 800,000 sitting in an empty and risky Thai bank account forever. So no need to ask why use a lawyer again.

I'm 51 I will never see a dime of social security so I took care myself. I have well in my business. I live here casue I like it not casue its cheap. I'm in heavy industry and our governement has shipped all our jobs to china. Hence I am in China allot. Its not a great place live

Perhaps it is quite easy to sign an affidavit at conslate without all the proof. I hope someone can confirm this too from the poster., I hope.

I am not a fan of Glen Beck but the poster who seems unconcerned about our liberties I doubt is "REALLY" an American perhaps failed high school history. Likewise to the two who say I dont sound Ameriican???? Can u hear my accent here?

Is Thailand for me someone asks? I have been working on and off here of 12 years since the financial crisis of 1998 as doctoral engineer in Rayong and Chonburi and Bangkok. I was asked to try to clean up some of the mess in the industry. I speak Thai and I am quite sure what is for me. My kids are grown and whats in the US for me, golf or stroll the mall? I have a beautiful Thai/Chineese TGF. Mine and all of my collegues Jobs are now all in China so I must live in Asia due to our incompetent govenment. I mustquery the ask the poster "Are u sure Thailand fis right for u also??"

So please the 90% of sincere helpful people thankyou very very MUCH for the valuable info and the 10% clueless flamer old coots with worthless or nasty, negative, dimentive opinions rather than facts please look for another topic where your posts would be appreciated.

There's so many thing wrong with the statement below, that I can't even begin to correct all the info...

To anyone else reading here, the simple answer is... DON"T do as this individual has done...

PS - I worked a decade in U.S. higher education... I'm embarrassed :ph34r:.

Answer WHY USE A LAWWYER???? First u need a non imigrant O or B visa to get going first which requires application in USA. Lawyer provided about 1 inch of documentation to send to a US consulate to get B visa., gave sent compnay finacial statements invitations and contacts etc. applications all. Then he openned an bank account for me before I even had an immigrant visa through a connection and and could wire 800K right away becasue i wasnt planning to comeback to thailand for a few months. The bank are technically not allowed to do that with tourist visa. Most banks wont do until u have the visa so its catrch 22. Then after 3 months I came back he got tme the retriement visa, retentry permit in one day. I would say was well worth the $1000 money. For me it was the best legal service I have ever had for the price. I have needed allot of lawyer in my day so I am sure.

1. You could have obtained a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa in the US with less paperwork than you seem to have used and have not required to show any money in Thailand for 2 years. Cost would have been about 5,000 baht plus medical form and local police report.

2. You could have obtained a single entry non immigrant O visa in most countries by showing you were over age 50 and saying you checking retirement.

3. You could have entered on a tourist visa or even a visa exempt 30 day entry and converted to a non immigrant visa inside Thailand for 2,000 baht.

4. You could have obtained a bank account with any kind of entry if you checked a few places. Bangkok Bank official policy is to issue if you provide a reference or address verification.

5. Normal issue of a retirement extension of stay is less than 20 minutes (excluding any queue wait).

Not sure about Bangkok area but in Pattaya for 6 years I put in what I need to 1-2 days before & wait till i get my papers back & am able to withdraw. 2 years ago I didn't grab enough change to make it for the paperwork to clear & withdrew some funds a half an hour later no questions were asked.I am not saying it won't be a problem but I know a few Americans as well in Pattaya that only put the funds in a week before or less. May be different in BKK , but Jomtien is pretty relaxed. As long as the money is in the bank 800,000 baht or the affidavit of income & 60-80,000 baht is in the bank you should be good to go.

Application fee 1,900 Baht.

Multi Re Entry Permit 3,800 Baht.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Apply at Immigration within the final 30 days of your permission to stay.

Take passport. Letter from your bank if using the 800,000 method. Updated bank book showing the same balance.

Proof of address.

Can YOU ['Lite Beer'] please clarify a couple things? (this is what happens when 4 or 5 people chime in with their take on an issue and/or OP doesn't give enough accurate info to begin with which then causes speculation by others TRYING to help)

1.) One comment says: "Income must be documented via a confirming letter from the applicant's consulate in Thailand"

My understanding to-date: (American) citizens DO NOT *ALWAYS* need an "income verification letter" in *ALL* extension application cases from a consulate or embassy. When already in Thailand and applying in Thailand at a local immigration office, say like on a 90-day one-entry tourist visa (with intent to apply for retirement extension), when immigration asks for your monthly income amount you simply tell them what you pull in monthly whatever the income is from pension, stocks bonds, rental income whatever (i.e.; the honor system)...

Can YOU ['Lite Beer'] please clarify...?

2. ) Another part of this same thread and another comment I have never heard before "If the combo method is used, no seasoning (deposit ahead of your application time) is required"

Then another's comment says: "The other "retirement" requirements still must be observed and age over 50 is one of them but then no bank letters or passbook pages. "

In over a year of watching retirement visa threads (I can't possibly see them all) this is the first time I have heard no seasoning with combo method (frankly I don't believe this and hope I am wrong with apology in advance to who posted it) Always been my understanding that the Thai "bank money" DOES HAVE to be "seasoned" and we *DO* need certified bank letters confirming "seasoned money" a few days prior to application of retirement extension, seasoning for 60 days of the first application then 90 days each visa thereafter?

Please clarify comments of others? These are important facts that need clarity that could simplify the process tremendously to those looking to apply for retirement type extensions.

Thank you for your time and consideration

MaiThaiMai

:wai::jap::wai:

Edited by MaiThaiMai

1. If income is from outside Thailand you need the document from your Embassy as proof.

If from inside Thailand you need income tax payment records.

2. If using a combination of Income and Savings the ban deposit does not have to seasoned for 2/3 months.

The rule says.

You may get the odd Immigration Office that sees it differently but usually 2/3 months is not required.

1. If income is from outside Thailand you need the document from your Embassy as proof.

If from inside Thailand you need income tax payment records.

2. If using a combination of Income and Savings the ban deposit does not have to seasoned for 2/3 months.

The rule says.

You may get the odd Immigration Office that sees it differently but usually 2/3 months is not required.

Thank you kindly for clarity...this subject gets so easily misread or misconstrued over too many threads and time <grrr..>

:intheclub:

MaiThaiMai

:wai: :jap: :wai:

Edited by MaiThaiMai

2. If using a combination of Income and Savings the bank deposit does not have to seasoned for 2/3 months.

Just to be clear for the newcomers on this topic, the reference above is NOT two-thirds of a month...

But rather, having the funds on deposit in a Thai bank two months ahead for a person's first extension of stay application, and three months ahead for all subsequent extension of stay applications.

2. If using a combination of Income and Savings the bank deposit does not have to seasoned for 2/3 months.

Just to be clear for the newcomers on this topic, the reference above is NOT two-thirds of a month...

But rather, having the funds on deposit in a Thai bank two months ahead for a person's first extension of stay application, and three months ahead for all subsequent extension of stay applications.

G*d Dam*it - lol The way I read this response now you seem to have contradicted the answer I got and understood from Lite Beer that combo funds are NOT required to be seasoned per *OTHER* 2 *AND* 3 month extension requirements, respectively...

So JFC (: great initials btw ; ) shouldn't your statement read for the combo/seasoning issue more like: "But rather, having the funds on deposit in a Thai bank IS NOT REQUIRED, using the combo method, for two months ahead for a person's first extension of stay application, and three months ahead for all subsequent extension of stay applications."

A simple yes or no on my rewording for last a grasp at clarity posed please then I'm done with this thread and will deal with it one way or the other when I get there in a couple weeks. If I didn't have to get the 90-day one-entry visa to get there and establish a bank account to satisfy the 2-month "seasoning" rule (exception) because I will be using the combo method, then I just wasted 2000 baht on an unnecessary 90-day one-entry tourist visa, not the end of the world but a total waste is a total waste and cash in any currency is becoming more scarce by the day for many of us (and don't get me satrted on the exchange rates). :unsure:

Thank you for your time and consideration

MaiThaiMai

:wai: :jap: :wai:

There really has not been any contradiction.

If using combination method normally there is no requirement for the money to have been in account for any set period of time. The post in question was making reference that the time period when required was 2 or 3 months rather than two thirds of a month as it could have been read using the slash mark.

As for 2,000 baht is the cost to covert a tourist visa or visa exempt entry into a non immigrant visa entry (a requirement for extension of stay). You must be in country on a non immigrant visa entry in order to extend for retirement.