How Many People Apply For Perm. Residency Each Year?

Interesting how no more than 100 persons of any given nationality can apply for PR each year.

I have no idea how many people apply for it. More than 100, say, Americans?

If someone has for example, dual US / Irish nationality, born and raised in the US, perhaps it would be advantageous to apply using the Irish nationality? This would involve of course getting the non-immigrant visas in the Irish passport, etc.

If someone has dual nationalities, does picking the one with fewer applicants help? I guess it's just a matter of guesswork, unless > 100 people apply from certain nationalities, making it guaranteed that some applicants from certain nationalities must be turned down.

Do not believe any nationality has ever been exceeded and for the last 3 years there have not even been any approved that we know about. There are much more serious requirements than that 100 per year limiting most people - but if able to do I would highly advise those of younger age to try. On retirement it is virtually impossible for most. See the pinned thread on PR for more details.

Do not believe any nationality has ever been exceeded and for the last 3 years there have not even been any approved that we know about. There are much more serious requirements than that 100 per year limiting most people - but if able to do I would highly advise those of younger age to try. On retirement it is virtually impossible for most. See the pinned thread on PR for more details.

I am wondering if the idea that it is virtually impossible for a retiree to gain PR is actual fact. Have you heard this from a reliable source? If it is actually true, what do you suppose is the reason?

You mean no persons at all have been approved in the last 3 years??????

Holy cow.

I guess it doesnt much matter which passport I use then. Just asking now as I'm about to get my first non-immigrant visa for the 3-year thing. Wife/kid are thai.

You mean no persons at all have been approved in the last 3 years??????

Holy cow.

I guess it doesnt much matter which passport I use then. Just asking now as I'm about to get my first non-immigrant visa for the 3-year thing. Wife/kid are thai.

Actually, its nearer 4. I applied in December 2006, and have not heard anything for about 3 years. All applications are apparently 'stuck' somewhere in the interior ministry.

I've heard tell that the only 2 nationalities that reach their 100 maximum are India and China. SOunds reasonable, but no idea how true it is.

Read Camerata's excellent post at the top of the page for all the information you are ever going to need, and then some.

I am wondering if the idea that it is virtually impossible for a retiree to gain PR is actual fact. Have you heard this from a reliable source? If it is actually true, what do you suppose is the reason?

Yes it is actual fact.

Formal reason is that there is a requirement to have held appropriate visas, work permits with appropriate income tax payments for at least three years.Camerata's excellent confirmation is your guide.

I'm guessing an informal reason is a disinclination to extend PR to low grade retired blue collar or lower middle class types in harness to their Thai "wives" of dubious provenance.Let's face it these are not necessarily the Thai establishment's most favoured foreigners.A genuine retiree (that is someone who didn't have the necessary employment record in Thailand) with the right social background, education,financial resources and professional background wouldn't really need PR anyway.Only the most desperate foreign oldsters would want to spend the whole year in Thailand and those of the higher rank tend to come and go quite frequently.

Edited by jayboy

I doubt they give out 100 a year to say, Nigerians, or Moldovans, and since the majority applying are probably from a handful of countries they never have to give out more than 1,000 a year, which is perhaps the number of Thais applying for citizenship of another country every single week.

I've never met someone who has PR (though I have met one farang who was granted citizenship, he's was a former consul and has been here about 30 years and his father in law is a retired army general). Two people I know say it's all been approved but waiting on a desk somewhere for a signature (a fairly common excuse here).

It's like waiting for godot.

Based on retirement is indeed almost impossible. In case married to a Thai one could try it on that ground.

The limit is 100 persons a year per nationality.

Cost is 195,000 baht or 97,500 if based on marriage to a Thai. If I'm not mistaken you pay when approved, applying costs only about 7,500 baht.

Based on retirement is indeed almost impossible. In case married to a Thai one could try it on that ground.

Cost is 195,000 baht or 97,500 if based on marriage to a Thai. If I'm not mistaken you pay when approved, applying costs only about 7,500 baht.

Even if married to a Thai, a PR application based on retirement won't work.The rules are very clear and frankly it's misleading to suggest otherwise.

Another point is that the 100 persons figure is just what it suggests, an upper limit.Even in years when PR was relatively expeditious this figure or anything like it was never reached for Brits or Australians to my certain knowledge.It may have been for Chinese/Indians - I'm not sure.

Even if married to a Thai, a PR application based on retirement won't work.The rules are very clear and frankly it's misleading to suggest otherwise.

(...)

Read my post again. B)

(...)

Read my post again. B)

Read it again. I'm afraid it's still not the case that even applying under the Thai marriage category a retiree would be even theoretically eligible.

Chinese and Indian are the nationalities that frequently hit the 100 mark. I am not aware of any other nationality that does.

Thete were around 300 applications in total in 2006 and 2007, and I think this figure only includes successful applications (I am not sure).

Just some stats from immi. Why (almost) no applications have been signed after the 2005 successfulls is anybody's guess.