Work Permit Or Marriage Visa

As mentioned the current regulations are 777/2551 which superseded the one the OP posted.

A quick google reveals the the regs posted by TheNoob do come from a forum sponsor (no names no pack drill) but the regs posted are the out of date ones which is a bit remiss of them.

Under the old regs as mentioned on the sponsor's site you can extend using your wife's income. I used to but haven't been able to do that since the new regs came in. That's at 2 different immigration offices.

Since you used to be able to do that... use wife's income... ain't you able to continue doing it then? I've been told that you stay under that old law then. Or is it again wrong info given to me?

Unfortunately they wouldn't "grandfather" in this situation.

( Sorry lopburi beat me to it )

Edited by mca

And if it is an American lady married to a Thai man does it stay the same?

In this case the Lady does not need any income or savings.

The Thai Husband has to show that he can support her but the money levels are a lot lower. :bah:

Wow, so Thailand is sexist and stuck in the 1800s.

The Immigration Laws discriminate against Thai Women.

But that is a whole different discussion that has come up many times before. :realangry:

Legal Office 1 replied:

1.You can use the Thai bank account with 400,000 baht in your name only.

2. You can use the monthly income of 40,000 baht in your name only.

3. You can use a combination of both and must be in your name.

The above information is wrong.

It has to be Income OR Bank Balance.

It CANNOT be a combination of the two.

Funny...(but frustrating) just checked both emails and both insinuate the same.

Either 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account/or a monthly income of at least 40,000 Baht per month. It is also possible to show a combination of both money in a bank account and monthly income, providing that the total amount equates to at least 400,000 Baht.

And if it is an American lady married to a Thai man does it stay the same?

In this case the Lady does not need any income or savings.

The Thai Husband has to show that he can support her but the money levels are a lot lower. :bah:

Wow, so Thailand is sexist and stuck in the 1800s.

No that's a very unfair remark you try getting your wife to the UK don't know about USA.

Thailand is a cheap haven for many people who have work hard all there lives and get the privilege to stay here on retirement.

If they made it easy in Thailand here for anyone to stay without proper visa's I reckon you would get all sort of unwanted rabble here.

If you have not got the money to stay it is up to you to do something about it because your young I take it , do what many

of my young friend do go back to your country work for 3 or 6months or until you have enough money and then apply for the appropriate visa's to return.

As mentioned it's an either or situation. From the regulations.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

OP. I feel your frustration. I really do. But I can assure you that if what you'd been told by your contacts were true I and quite a few other members would have bloody done it. :D

As mentioned it's an either or situation. From the regulations.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

OP. I feel your frustration. I really do. But I can assure you that if what you'd been told by your contacts were true I and quite a few other members would have bloody done it. :D

Yes... when you read the order it's an either or.... I did it myself the either or way so... but I find it very frustrating not one but two legal advisors give exactly the same wrong info. What should one think than of such an office??

Some choice words come to mind...... :lol:

I'm not sucking up to them ( basically cos I don't know them from Adam) but you can trust the word of the Mods on this section of the forum as gold. And in the .001% where one of them is incorrect on a small detail another will be along shortly to put it straight.

I've followed their advice over the years and never put a foot wrong.

Some choice words come to mind...... :lol:

I'm not sucking up to them ( basically cos I don't know them from Adam) but you can trust the word of the Mods on this section of the forum as gold. And in the .001% where one of them is incorrect on a small detail another will be along shortly to put it straight.

I've followed their advice over the years and never put a foot wrong.

Thanks, good to know... i'll try to stay updated than trough this forum.

Just FYI: I got an email back from the office that sponsors here saying the following.

I have spoken with our visa staff an approximately one year ago there was a change in the regulations stating that the visa applicant can no longer use a combination of his finances and his wife's finances. The current rules is that the foreigner must have the money in his own Thai bank account, it cannot be a joint bank account. Alternatively, the foreigner can show proof of income of at least 40,000 Baht per month, as verified by their Embassy.

So they corrected themselves and I feel I should mention it than. Fair is Fair

Edited by TheNoob

Ok I have one more confirmation. If we have 400,000+ baht in a joint account will it enough for the visa in KL? Someone said earlier that it SHOULD be enough, but I don't want shoulds when I'm flying all the way there. Maybe I should transfer half it to my account in Canada and get a screenshot of my online bank statement printed out and bring both the joint account and mine.

I realize that a joint account isn't suffice for an extension in Thailand, but is it for the original visa in KL? If not, would a printout of a screenshot of my online bank statement be suffice?

Ok I have one more confirmation. If we have 400,000+ baht in a joint account will it enough for the visa in KL? Someone said earlier that it SHOULD be enough, but I don't want shoulds when I'm flying all the way there. Maybe I should transfer half it to my account in Canada and get a screenshot of my online bank statement printed out and bring both the joint account and mine.

I realize that a joint account isn't suffice for an extension in Thailand, but is it for the original visa in KL? If not, would a printout of a screenshot of my online bank statement be suffice?

But you have the money it seems so... is it a problem for you to put it all on your name than? Or is there a time issue involved?

Edited by TheNoob