Smoking In The Park

orish

I was with a friend at Chatuchak market the other day. On the way back to the skytrain, we took a shortcut through the park where she lit up a cigarette. A policeman called her over and pointed out to her that it was illegal to smoke in the park. She was obliged to pay 1,000 baht (without receiving a receipt in return).

We were both taken aback at this. Yes, there was a road sign (on another path) showing a crossed-out cigarette to denote no smoking. We also did subsequently notice a very small sign at the entrance to the park (where the metro comes out) that stated there was a 2,000 baht fine for smoking. So I suppose we should have known.

I don't think there were any signs where you enter the park on the market side, but the signs at the main entrance were already so small that we could have easily missed them. Next time I go to the market, I will have a closer look.

There were several things that disturbed me about this incident.

Firstly, the fact that smoking is banned in an open-air space. I personally dislike cigarette smoke intensely, but I don't see how smoking in the park is going to be at all discernible, especially when the air is already choking with car, bus, truck and tuk tuk fumes. It might make a bit more sense to fine people for dropping stubs on the ground. And it makes sense to ban smoking on trains, at the stations underground (perhaps not so much on the skytrain stations) or other indoor public spaces. But outdoors!?

Secondly, the fact that the signs were fairly obscure. If it is to be deemed illegal to smoke or drink or walk on the grass or whatever, in a place where one would not expect it, then I would suppose that huge signs would be put up to draw one's attention to the fact.

Finally, the fact that the policeman didn't issue a receipt or provide any information about an appeals process or a way to query the fine. Obviously the money went straight into his and his cronies' pockets.

Who would one contact to complain about this or at least have some influence in reducing this kind of activity? My friend was quite shaken by the experience, almost expecting to have to fill in forms, go to the police station and register her passport, etc. etc. Which is why she gladly gave the policeman the 1,000 baht, without making any fuss.

Or is this the price we have to pay for visiting or living in Thailand?

I was with a friend at Chatuchak market the other day. On the way back to the skytrain, we took a shortcut through the park where she lit up a cigarette. A policeman called her over and pointed out to her that it was illegal to smoke in the park. She was obliged to pay 1,000 baht (without receiving a receipt in return).

We were both taken aback at this. Yes, there was a road sign (on another path) showing a crossed-out cigarette to denote no smoking. We also did subsequently notice a very small sign at the entrance to the park (where the metro comes out) that stated there was a 2,000 baht fine for smoking. So I suppose we should have known.

I don't think there were any signs where you enter the park on the market side, but the signs at the main entrance were already so small that we could have easily missed them. Next time I go to the market, I will have a closer look.

There were several things that disturbed me about this incident.

Firstly, the fact that smoking is banned in an open-air space. I personally dislike cigarette smoke intensely, but I don't see how smoking in the park is going to be at all discernible, especially when the air is already choking with car, bus, truck and tuk tuk fumes. It might make a bit more sense to fine people for dropping stubs on the ground. And it makes sense to ban smoking on trains, at the stations underground (perhaps not so much on the skytrain stations) or other indoor public spaces. But outdoors!?

Secondly, the fact that the signs were fairly obscure. If it is to be deemed illegal to smoke or drink or walk on the grass or whatever, in a place where one would not expect it, then I would suppose that huge signs would be put up to draw one's attention to the fact.

Finally, the fact that the policeman didn't issue a receipt or provide any information about an appeals process or a way to query the fine. Obviously the money went straight into his and his cronies' pockets.

Who would one contact to complain about this or at least have some influence in reducing this kind of activity? My friend was quite shaken by the experience, almost expecting to have to fill in forms, go to the police station and register her passport, etc. etc. Which is why she gladly gave the policeman the 1,000 baht, without making any fuss.

Or is this the price we have to pay for visiting or living in Thailand?

Yes, sad but true. Still the regular "park bum" sits there with his sang som and cigarettes and no problem.... :o

I think the fine is 2000. If you want to do this by the law, insist a REAL ticket and pay 2000B. Better go to take care of this at the police station. In this case there wouldn't be any corruption, or maybe the cop will let you just walk out for free.

People in Thailand must learn to do things by the law!

This is Thailand, this is the law, like it or not.

You won't do it again.

Just like I won't drop another dog-end down a drain  :o

Give it up Crossy. You smell like a shIthouse.

Nah, shower twice a day, just smell like a freshly washed ashtray :D:D

Trying to give up, maybe smoking in tha park would be a good way, at 2 grand a pop I soon won't be able to afford a pack.....

Actually, I think the park ban is more to do with a litter problem than actual smoke, I got caught in Suk. soi 11 dropping the end of my cancer stick down a drain, 1000 Baht please!!!! Receipt, what receipt, such is life.

Edited by Crossy

I agree the legislation is over the top. The corruption isn't good either.

But for your own sake and the sake of the people who love you, quit smoking. I had to see a family member go before I realized myself. It is a crap drug, it steals your money, wreaks havoc with your health in the long term, makes you smell like a sewer and irritates people around you (although most people dont say anything). All this for a buzz only marginally stronger than a cup of coffee, and a bit of rebel cred. Not worth it, is it? Save the money and buy a motorcycle instead.

But for your own sake and the sake of the people who love you, quit smoking. I had to see a family member go before I realized myself. It is a crap drug, it steals your money, wreaks havoc with your health in the long term, makes you smell like a sewer and irritates people around you (although most people dont say anything). All this for a buzz only marginally stronger than a cup of coffee, and a bit of rebel cred. Not worth it, is it? Save the money and buy a motorcycle instead.

Heh, riding a moto in BKK, at least you'll die healthy......

Heh, riding a moto in BKK, at least you'll die healthy......

I doubt that matey you will die from carbon monoxide poisoning before anything else. :o

My experience of this happening was outside the emporium, i was with a friend of mine and our wives. We came out and lit up, we were walking down the street when my friend dropped his butt on the floor. Next thing he knew he was being collared by a guy on a bike. The bastard tried extorting 20k baht off him. We just started laughing at him as we were stood in front of a sign that said maximum fine was 2000. We insited that we go to the police station to sort this out, when he decided 2000 would be ok, i said fine as long as i got a receipt for it. Man he didnt look happy. :D

Edited by daleyboy

Forgot to mention on previous. On the spot fines are not legal in Thailand. Mean mandatory for anybody. You have the right to get the ticket and pay later.

Sure it's more easy/faster/cheaper to just go along with the corruption.

If you care for Thailand, or just social development in more free, democratic, sivilised and/or law abiding way. Then you must stand up to these thieves who pose as cops and go to the station if they choose so. Don't worry about criminal records or some.. that's nothing wrong your doing. Thats what many thais do too.

The only way to start to change the system that is eating up and preventing the developement of a country.

If you care for Thailand, or just social development in more free, democratic, sivilised and/or law abiding way. Then you must stand up to these thieves who pose as cops and go to the station if they choose so. Don't worry about criminal records or some.. that's nothing wrong your doing. Thats what many thais do too.

The only way to start to change the system that is eating up and preventing the developement of a country.

What?

Go to the station for having a fag :o in the park!

Say something like, if you can learn a little Thai, I have no money, I'm not a rich farang etc etc and say the most you can give them is 20-50 baht.

Don't be scared by them, like many tourists I have seen.

I was in the park a few years ago and saw the signs, looked around and saw others smoking.....but they were all sitting down.....so I did the same....no problems....but I made sure I didnt drop the butt on the ground.

Cop probably thought as you were walking through the park the girl would just drop the butt and got in early.

Nowadays, after a friend some years ago got done for dropping a butt in Saphan Khwai and fined 2000 with a receipt......I just flick the tip off with my thumbnail and hold the butt till I see a bin.... :o

What?

Go to the station for having a fag :o in the park!

Say something like, if you can learn a little Thai, I have no money, I'm not a rich farang etc etc and say the most you can give them is 20-50 baht.

Don't be scared by them, like many tourists I have seen.

What I meant was, that they might force you to the station , in rare cases, just on intension to wast your time, so you will make the better deal with them. I'm not suggesting to get in combat with these guys. It will be very unlikely too that they will shoot you in Chatuchak on open daylight, if you walk away. And they are very not likely interested to go to station just cos of that so....Usually they will just let you go..

If you don't like it, don't come to Thailand.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood.

People like you come to Thailand cos with money you can get away with anything???

My point was that I've never seen so many stupid laws like in Thailand, which are applied to some, not everybody. And usually not 'by the book'. They seem to exists only for monetary purposes. And many make no sense what so ever.. :o

My point was that I've never seen so many stupid laws like in Thailand, which are applied to some, not everybody. And usually not 'by the book'. They seem to exists only for monetary purposes. And many make no sense what so ever..

Thailand has his laws (maybe some very stupid to you), you don't like it? DON'T come to Thailand.

...I don't see how smoking in the park is going to be at all discernible, especially when the air is already choking with car, bus, truck and tuk tuk fumes. ...

I can smell cigarette smoke from 100 yards away. I did exactly that in Benjasiri Park - next to the Emporium, Sukhumvit Road - when I used to go there for some fresh air. And as an ex-smoker of about 20 years, I still hate the smell when I am expecting to smell fresh air. On the other hand, when I'm in a pub, I expect it, so it doesn't bother me. Very strange. :o

My point was that I've never seen so many stupid laws like in Thailand, which are applied to some, not everybody. And usually not 'by the book'. They seem to exists only for monetary purposes. And many make no sense what so ever..

Thailand has his laws (maybe some very stupid to you), you don't like it? DON'T come to Thailand.

We reach a very depatable issue here. The time.

I believe in evolution, developement, progress...

(sorry my spelling english is not my first languge)

Different people measure time in meny different means: by the sun, by the stars, by their crops, by their actions, by their watches ofcourse, and ofcourse by cigarettes etc..

I like Thailand. Thats why I come here. But like some famous thai author wrote; people who stay two days here love it the most, the others.. :D

Good the laws are all fine to you Dirk3.

RDN it's great you can give up. :D Good it's almost fine with you with the traffic. All us smokers are smoking in front of Emporium on the benches. Just can't give it up. :o I'm totally hooked on inhaling that smoke. Wonder what's the difference with BKK traffic. Which is worse? Sure I am wrong, noo need to tell me that. I'm just hooked. :D Yeah.

Edited by sonnyJ

:o:D

If you don't like it, don't come to Thailand.

Do you have any more pearls of wisdom such as the above? :o

Please share them with us. Drongo!

Ahh .. so he's a nong then... :D:D

BTW... what type of "smoking" are we talking about... :D

totster :D

Exactly. If I were smoking a pipe there wouldn't be any 'littering' problems. As all that goes in and comes out of my pipe is natural products... Is That illegal in the parks too?

What I meant was, that they might force you to the station , in rare cases, just on intension to wast your time, so you will make the better deal with them. I'm not suggesting to get in combat with these guys. It will be very unlikely too that they will shoot you in Chatuchak on open daylight, if you walk away. And they are very not likely interested to go to station just cos of that so....Usually they will just let you go..

Agree….you need to call their bluff. First play dumb to engender sympathy and then move on to say either: give me a ticket that I will pay later, or lets go to the station. Smile at all times and show a friendly and over-eager willingness to atone for your sins….legally.

Either way, it means more paper work for him and less time for him out on the beat trying it on silly punters. You’d be surprised how often a threat the figurative book being thrown at you turns into a simple stern warning of ‘don’t do that again’.