Tot You Are Crap

Mosha

For the past few weeks my day time connection has been bad, I called but no use. I get maybe 80k of my 512k at 2400baht a month and that is when it is not stalled for minutes at a time. It goes missing from 8am to 10PM like clock work. I v seen this before the problem is inside ToT but they just bin any complaint. Why not - nothing anyone can do to them.

I will reduce my service on Tuesday to 256k again and save a little. Check back with CAT and see if they fixed the CDMA not working here, but given the record I would not spend any money on a handset or contract. It is almost a guarantee it will stop working around here and you lose money. They are going to have to rent or loan any equipment, I don't need a draw full of useless crap.

CAT - ToT = Rock and hard place.

For the past few weeks my day time connection has been bad, I called but no use. I get maybe 80k of my 512k at 2400baht a month and that is when it is not stalled for minutes at a time. It goes missing from 8am to 10PM like clock work. I v seen this before the problem is inside ToT but they just bin any complaint. Why not - nothing anyone can do to them.

I will reduce my service on Tuesday to 256k again and save a little. Check back with CAT and see if they fixed the CDMA not working here, but given the record I would not spend any money on a handset or contract. It is almost a guarantee it will stop working around here and you lose money. They are going to have to rent or loan any equipment, I don't need a draw full of useless crap.

Not clear. Do you have TOT or CDMA or both?I have CDMA and it works well. We lost it 1 day ,due to a lightning strike. If you have a problem, just ring 1322.They are quite helpful. CDMA is far superior to landlines

• Like 1

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about all of this is that something can be done if they give two hoots.... its clear they don't.

While working in Mae Sot we had a local government player on side, any issues with anything and we gave him a call.

Our TOT was terrible one day so I gave this chappy a call. In less than 30 mins two TOT technicians were at our location, checking lines etc... checking everything. We never had internet problems again !

Last week, once again I reported to TOT that my connection was really slow and always had been. They told me to turn off the computer and modem for twenty minutes and they would reset something. There was a modest improvement to about 25% the supposed 2Mb I'm paying for. Called again and a "technician" came out and reported all was working fine. After his visit my connection started dropping every few minutes and when it was working I had "speeds" of 20.6 / 10.1 KB/sec according to TOT's speedtest. The ping was over 2000 ms.

I was worried that the fault lay with the cable connection provided by my condo, but figured 3BB couldn't be worse than this no matter what the cause.

So I went to 3BB and signed up for their 8Mb service at B888 a month. They said it would be about a week, but it was connected the following day. I ran TV's speedtest to Singapore just now and got 999.4 / 891 KB/sec.

Since I've had my TOT promotion for over a year they have no hold on me and I will be visiting their office to bid farewell on Monday !!!

PS: I just downloaded a 5.5 Mb podcast in under 6 seconds. I almost cried. :lol:

Edited by Suradit

Not clear. Do you have TOT or CDMA or both?I have CDMA and it works well. We lost it 1 day ,due to a lightning strike. If you have a problem, just ring 1322.They are quite helpful. CDMA is far superior to landlines

I agree with this i live in the mtn by doi tao and I have tried every service and catcom is the only won that would work, I did put up a pretty high tower, and get exceptable speed.

I have IpStar but that part works fine its the connection at ToT is turned down @ 8am everymorning and back around 10 if they don't forget about it, and my upload is always half the speedtest. We have seen this in the past - I have never had non weather related problem with IpStar itself and they can make this work when they choose to. CDMA does not work in our town and phone lines are ten years behind schedule. I am getting a weather related issue right now and have to shut down - lightening ! pull the plugs.

Date Not Working Working

16-Sep 06:00 08:30

16-Sep 10:45 10:49

16-Sep 10:54 11:00

16-Sep 11:01 11:02

16-Sep 10:04 11:10

16-Sep 11:11 11:17

16-Sep 11:18 11:20

16-Sep 11:21 11:24

16-Sep 11:25 11:32

16-Sep 11:33 11:37

16-Sep 11:39 11:41

16-Sep 11:42 11:58

16-Sep 12:02 12:08

16-Sep 12:10 12:12

I gave up logging at thay point, it became boring, suffice to say it was around 18:00 before I could reliably use it. The modem page gave this irritatingly unhelpful info

Your DSL connection is down. Verify that your SpeedTouch is correctly connected to your phone line. If the problem persists, check your documentation.

When I have called the Kra buri office. It's alway the same BS. Turn of your modem, turn it on.

Go to 192.168.1.1 Go to internet page type in username and password and connect. This wprks for like 2 minutes and then the same old crap starts. Now It went off at 14:00 or so and still it is giving me problems. If only another company would run a cable into the area

Well surprisingly even my 16Mb True is very slow today. With the Thai Visa speedtest to Bangkok I'm only getting 228ms/down 350kbps/up 410kbps.

I am getting under 1/32nd of the speed that I have paid for. I'll admit, since I bought the True connection this is the first time it has been particularly slow in over a month, but still - less than 3% of the actual service capacity is terribly bad.

I've had and still have Maxnet/3BB since 2006, which I might have well replaced with 2 Malee tin cans and some fishing wire.

I now have True, and this is the first time I've been disillusioned with it.

Bottom line, Thailand is a 3rd world country and definitely has a 3rd world internet infrastructure to go with it - although all the ISPs and networks like to pretend and posture as if they are the very best in the world. You're f*cked in Thailand - whichever way you turn IMO. Until this is fixed this country will continue to live in the veritable dark ages of telecommunications - something that now underpins all economically advanced nations' economies.... such a shame as it could progress at an exponential rate if things were made to work properly and self-serving money-grabbing bureaucrats and bureaucracy was eradicated from the scene.

Inherent corruption, poor materials and knowhow when installing lines, the reluctance to hire anyone other than incompetent Thais to do and oversee these jobs (you know they just pocket all the money for creating the network and make it half-arsed, have you seen the overground electricity here!?), very poor business practices (i.e. taking money and 100% failing to provide an acceptable level of service 100% of the time), absolutely no recourse for the customer to discuss and change things, staff on poor wages, uninformed/poorly taught robotic staff, incompetent line technicians, willingness to immediately pass the buck.... once all of these problems are eradicated from the ISPs/Telcos then there will be some headway. This is not going to happen ever! Face up to that now. It's never happened in Thai business, so it is never going to happen period. Either companies bleed their subscriber ship dry and lie to them constantly (as all ISPs currently do) or they do not survive in this landscape. We are simply the pawns in their game to getting ever richer and fatter - we have no voice.

No offence here, but an open letter on a forum for farangs is really utimately 100% ineffectual in its intended purpose and cause. I see what you're trying to do, but I really must ask - is there really any point. Sorry to be so defeatist, it's just from 5 or so years experience dealing with Thai businesses.

Equally so any emails that are sent to them are going to be 100% ineffectual. If they ever get them and the emails are not re-routed to Botswana due to them being unable to correctly build an infrastructure which is in line with the apparent modernity of the 'face' of the ISPs. Even if they do get it, it's not going to be read by the people is should be or is intended for, as it's in English. If it's in Thai it will 100% be discarded after the first sentence. You just know it will be.

There will be no changes set about by any actions we as farangs try - well not on a national or international level, definitely not. This is Thailand - the telco middle/dark ages.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 1

I'm on a TOT 4Mb plan which I've been on for approx 6 months. I'm in western Bangkok. The first 5.5 months have been really good...99.99% reliability and good speed. I also have a line with very good attenuation and SNR values...and full sync speed. But for the last two weeks I have experienced approx a half dozen instances of losing my IP/internet connection for approx 5 minutes. When I check my modem for Attenuation/SNR/Sync speed during these outages it shows good values/a solid connection to the DSLAM. But as mentioned I have no internet/IP address to the world. And I do use the Google Public DNS server as my secondary/backup DNS.

Tonight/Friday/17Sep I lost my internet/IP connection from about 9pm to 9:30pm. The longest I have been down with TOT. I know, some/many of you experience much more downtime. The modem internet light confirmed I had no IP/internet connection after resetting the modem a few times....and my VOIP phone didn't work either. When checking the modem's log it had bunches of connection errors reflecting a year 2000 date (10 years ago); after the internet connection came back it reflected a 17 Sep 2010 reconnect date. Since these error messages probably came from the TOT server, I expect a TOT internet server problem is occurring...they decided to go back 10 years in time.

Summary: for the last two weeks my TOT internet has had internet/IP connection problems and my guess is the problem is at the TOT server level versus a local line/DSLAM issue. My wife says maybe it's because of their promotions which are signing up more & more people, and overloading TOT's servers. She could be right....the wife is always right...just ask her (or them).

Edited by Pib

Date Not Working Working

16-Sep 06:00 08:30

16-Sep 10:45 10:49

16-Sep 10:54 11:00

16-Sep 11:01 11:02

16-Sep 10:04 11:10

16-Sep 11:11 11:17

16-Sep 11:18 11:20

16-Sep 11:21 11:24

16-Sep 11:25 11:32

16-Sep 11:33 11:37

16-Sep 11:39 11:41

16-Sep 11:42 11:58

16-Sep 12:02 12:08

16-Sep 12:10 12:12

I gave up logging at thay point, it became boring, suffice to say it was around 18:00 before I could reliably use it. The modem page gave this irritatingly unhelpful info

Your DSL connection is down. Verify that your SpeedTouch is correctly connected to your phone line. If the problem persists, check your documentation.

When I have called the Kra buri office. It's alway the same BS. Turn of your modem, turn it on.

Go to 192.168.1.1 Go to internet page type in username and password and connect. This wprks for like 2 minutes and then the same old crap starts. Now It went off at 14:00 or so and still it is giving me problems. If only another company would run a cable into the area

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be my computer.

I installed all the MS updates and didn't have a problem since.

Have you actually visited the TOT office to complain?

Many years ago I had problems, it was with Dialup, the line would drop

before the handshake had completed.

I went to the office and asked to speak to the manager.

I had to press the point, but they did take the matter on board

and put a Print Meter Checker on the line, giving details of every call,

number and duration. This showed the problem was real, and it was dealt with.

I also received a rebate for all the calls that had aborted.

Yes it is a very different problem, but it shows TOT can be responsive if you get in

at the right level. :thumbsup:

Yes I have a few numbers for local support and I have posted before that they will if you go though the motions make it work again. Problem is this time - that is failing to work. I had a guy on the line yesterday, but the weather rolled in and the time of day - so Monday its back to square one. 8pm I started getting 256 of my 512 so its a problem of overloading in Bangkok at the down link which explains speedtest:

Download Speed: 70 kbps (8.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 35 kbps (4.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I only had 256k for a long time because I would not even get that many days - then they offer 512 at only 200 baht more so I try it thinking when it does work over 256k I catch up. For a year and big surprise that worked almost all the time and better then the 256k ever did for the whole year - then the price went to 2200 plus vat and the service dropped the same day to the same thing I had before at the 256k price.

It is kind of a case of bait and switch which is why I am going the downgrade on Tuesday. This connection cost to much already and is only being used because they refuse to provide phone service to this community for the last ten years in spite of many requests. I would be in heaven with a working 1mb @ 900 baht a month- that would half what I will be paying for the 256k that doesn't work most the time .

Where's the Meat?.

What get's me is I am on 3MB at 590/month. The bills comes and they're offering 5MB at 590/Month. Syrely they jest. When I saked for 4MB. "Sorry some one else in Moo Ban have already. Cannot have." :lol:

Yes, I signed up for the 2MB promotion about 1 1/2 years ago. I don't think it ever exceeded 25% of that and, aside from losing the connection multiple times, most of the time it was operating at 5% to 10 % of what it was supposed to be. I've been complaining online, on the phone and in person ... always with a Thai friend to ensure smooth communications and to avoid me losing patience. "Technicians" have come etc. No change.

Then they wanted me to go for the 4 MB package, the maximum available where I live. I couldn't see getting hooked for another year.

I came to believe it was poor wiring within my condo building that was at least partly to blame.

Finally made the switch to 3BB. Using the same line in the condo building and from the wall socket to the modem. Now to Bangkok and London I'm getting these results:

post-109025-059877200 1284802273_thumb.j

post-109025-053894900 1284802292_thumb.j

Edited by Suradit

Tried on the other computer with latest Vista updates om. Just the same on there.

Just had a problem myself. DSL not connected.

Phoned TOT and 5 minuts later they call back and it's working again.

I'm in Pattaya on the 4mb service.

958117243.png

958118835.png

The in-country speed seems slow but outside is OK

Edited by PattayaParent

Tried on the other computer with latest Vista updates om. Just the same on there.

Just had a problem myself. DSL not connected.

Phoned TOT and 5 minuts later they call back and it's working again.

I'm in Pattaya on the 4mb service.

The in-country speed seems slow but outside is OK

Still working with no problems

Ahh ..the intuuurnet in Thailand:lol: . Well TOT is far from perfect but 3BB (aka Maxnet) is well a total joke. But hey, it's a lottery as to where you live ...and where I live Tot totally outstrips 3BB by a mile.

Good luck to you all and your endeavours to complain and get some modicom of justice for your ISP bill;)