The Thai Government Could Be Destroyed By Corruption

webfact

The Government Could be Destroyed by Corruption

Even though the current government, especially Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, is being praised by the public for its honesty and proficiency, the only problem that could cause the electorate to lose faith in the current administration would be widespread corruption committed by the parties within the coalition. This is especially the case with the Bhumjai Thai Party, which is no longer restrained by public criticisms.

Since the current administration came to power almost two years ago, the coalition has been plagued with corruption scandals, especially among the ministers from the Bhumjai Thai Party. This includes the party's leader, Interior Minister Chaovarat Charnveerakul, who could not clearly absolve himself of allegations made against him during the previous censure debate by the Opposition.

Many Bhumjai Thai ministers have also been implicated in various corruption scandals involving major government expenditures such as the rice and agricultural product auction schemes initiated by the Commerce Ministry. Not to mention the Transport Ministry's atrocious 4,000 NGV bus leasing, various projects in Suvannabhumi Airport. The Bhumjai Thai's latest scandal is the dubious appointment of the new permanent-secretary of the Department of Provincial Administration. The Bureau of the Royal Household has even requested the government launch a probe into the appointment after the bureau received grievance petitions.

The Interior Minister is under the Bhumjai Thai's control and it has one of the highest number of corruption allegations ranging from unfair appointments of administrative officials to the cheating of civil service examinations. All of these have completely demoralized administrative officials in the government, not to mention many of the questionable pricy procurement programs within the ministry.

If the government's leader, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, is still allowing the coalition parties to commit corruption and practice cronyism without being checked, the current government would not be any different from the governments of then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. If this keeps up, the government's days are numbered. Therefore, under the ongoing crisis, the prime minister must demonstrate his leadership by putting a stop to Bhumjai Thai's arrogance. Abhisit must enforce the “9 Iron Rules” declared during the earlier stage of his administration. He must standby the national interests rather than the government's stability. The prime minister must be reminded that to rid the country of corruption is one of the government's primary policies announced when it first came to office.

Taken from Editorial Section, Naewna Newspaper, Page 3, September 21, 2010.

Translated and Rewritten by Kongkrai Maksrivorawan

Please note that the views expressed in our "Analysis" segment are translated from local newspaper articles and do not reflect the views of the Thai-ASEAN News Network.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-09-22

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

An example where corruption has brought down a country is the Philippines. A few decades ago it was leading East Asia, now it's lagging behind countries such as Thailand and Taiwan. Thailand does need to change or else it will find Vietnam as the new leader in South East Asia in another 10 years.

An example where corruption has brought down a country is the Philippines. A few decades ago it was leading East Asia, now it's lagging behind countries such as Thailand and Taiwan. Thailand does need to change or else it will find Vietnam as the new leader in South East Asia in another 10 years.

A few decades ago, the Philippines also had Ferdinand Marcos and a dictatorial regime with corruption was well-incorporated.

Thailand already tried that route before with Thaksin. It's still learning the pitfalls of that.

The Phillipines never came close to leading east or SE asia much less asia as a whole. Japan has always been far ahead as the leading economy in Asia. With S. Korea, Hong Kong (when it was independent), Taiwan, Singapore, etc.. following up.

Btw the "asian tigers" are considered developed countries and in an entirely different category than even Thailand.

The richest population in SE Asia per capita right now is Singapore by a huge margin.

Edited by wintermute

I am driving my car along the road, minding my own business, when suddenly a car comes out of a junction right in front of me. It was either hit him or hit a bus in another lane. I had put the brakes hard on. I also beeped my horn and flashed my lights at the guy for doing this. For the other guy this was a sign that he did wrong. He then followed me for the next 10 minutes, going in front of me then braking hard and general intimidation. I think this highlights a fact that Thais will never admit they are wrong and if you say they are wrong they will get angry and come back at you double. It is very hard.

It is very hard and while I can understand your frustration with the driving incident, it helps to remember that road rage occurs in other places, too.

Thankfully, here it's rare that it gets to this point:

• Like 1

Corruption in Bell, Calif

Here is some 'corruption' in the US,

yes it happens in farang land too, but look; they got caught and are going to jail.

Try to imagine a news story like TiT. times 10,000

with no free speech it aint gonna happen.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/corruption-bell-california-11694066

Edited by yellow1red1

From what I have read and heard , the Thai government is already a nonety , order of the day is to get all of the snouts into a group , then discuss(Argue about) who is to get what for how long , when all is resolved , back to the real job at hand .

Make multiple statements and plans for the betterment of ALL THAI and the country in general , so what is achieved ? Not enough to write the results on a soggy sheet of bum-wipe , as a goverment they are incompetant due to the fact most are scared of consequences if all appropriations are not distributed in an equitable fashion to all concerned , that is meant in a monetary manner , nothing to do with the countries welfare .

One way or another corruption has brought down every Thai government since I have been here iirc. Not many ended up in jail though and nothing ever changes

I see the PAD included no corruption as one of their 4 points for reconcilliation stating polticians must reform themselves. A tad hopeful.

'Buchholz' timestamp='1285135010' post='3899277']'t36ony' timestamp='1285134304' post='3899258']

I am driving my car along the road, minding my own business, when suddenly a car comes out of a junction right in front of me. It was either hit him or hit a bus in another lane. I had put the brakes hard on. I also beeped my horn and flashed my lights at the guy for doing this. For the other guy this was a sign that he did wrong. He then followed me for the next 10 minutes, going in front of me then braking hard and general intimidation. I think this highlights a fact that Thais will never admit they are wrong and if you say they are wrong they will get angry and come back at you double. It is very hard.

It is very hard and while I can understand your frustration with the driving incident, it helps to remember that road rage occurs in other places, too.

It is commendable that you notice road rage happens in other countries as well as Thailand , your last sentance is a stand out , the culprits rarely get apprehended and punished for thier inapropriate behavior AS IN OTHER COUNTRIES !!!!!!!!!

Shoot yourself in the foot ? Very Thai like I must say .

corruption is the worst crime in this world it has to be stopped if i went and took a one hundred bat note from a shop I would get locked up. then why do government officials get away with millions every day very easy to stop this and start again the death penalty for any corrupt act by government officials no exception low to high any thing at all ripping off a bag of cement to millions of bat that go by way of corruption the bag of cement that was not put in the mix for the runway screwed the runway not just one bag one in ten on the whole job thats millions of bags at 100. bt per bag .

public executions now we would soon run out of ministers mp's cops . government offices would be empty and we could start again.

• Like 2

PAD, the Politburo AGAINST Democracy, a fascist leaning organization that want to deny voting rights to the majority, blatantly claiming the "rural poor are too stupid to vote", who wants a Parliament that is 70% appointed, with only 30% Elected, with those elected only being voted on by the Elites, and who wants to kick all foreigners out of Thailand. Oh, yeah, that's a party I can really stand behind.

Sorry, but PAD and Reconciliation is a major oxymoron and should NEVER be used in the same sentence, paragraph, or book.

• Like 2

Corruption is kinda like a car engine...if well maintained and having a good muffler corruption makes little smoke and noise to draw attention....if not well maintained and having a bad muffler corruption gets smelly & noisy and gets a lot of public attention. Thai politics needs an overhaul, but it's going to take an extraordinary mechanic, probably a team of extraordinary mechanics, to do the job and the car will be in the shop for a while.

• Like 1

It is commendable that you notice road rage happens in other countries as well as Thailand , your last sentance is a stand out , the culprits rarely get apprehended and punished for thier inapropriate behavior AS IN OTHER COUNTRIES !!!!!!!!!

Actually, the reference was that what rarely happens here (perhaps it is different where you stay in Cambodia) is the face to face fist-fights like the one depicted in the video.

More commonly, what happens is as the poster described in the post earlier.

One way or another corruption has brought down every Thai government since I have been here iirc. Not many ended up in jail though and nothing ever changes

I see the PAD included no corruption as one of their 4 points for reconcilliation stating polticians must reform themselves. A tad hopeful.

Yes, it is and their points sound so much more reasonable and a positive way forward as opposed to the PTP/Reds points for reconciliation which revolve around forgiving Thaksin and returning his stolen money.

Even though the current government, especially Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, is being praised by the public for its honesty and proficiency,

Indeed, it is refreshing to have a PM openly endorse efforts to root out corruption within his cabinet quickly. It is so much better than the tribulations that occurred with the repeated corruption incidents uncovered in the Samak cabinet, for example, that was met with heel-dragging and obfuscation and delay after delay.

Even though the current government, especially Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, is being praised by the public for its honesty and proficiency,

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Have you ever tried to walk a tightrope spanned over a cage filled with hungry lions ? Give the man his due, I'd say :)

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

The topic went quickly from corruption to road rage, but the kid getting caught with that hard right hand in the video was worth it.

I heard about the Calif. thing too. The mayor was making twice as much as Obama. It happens everywhere. Here, the politics are so confusing, it's hard to get a grip on it. That's why they need a strong leader even if he's a thief himself. Philadelphia's slogan is "Corrupt but content." Meaning don't steal everything. Don't be a pig.

Yes, it is and their points sound so much more reasonable and a positive way forward as opposed to the PTP/Reds points for reconciliation which revolve around forgiving Thaksin and returning his stolen money.

For reconcilliation though all groups need to be included. The funny thing is that when the PAD started out they csampaigned against corruption and built a big following based on this. They then went into other more questionablae areas. It is good to see them get back to what was a reasonable demand. The other weird thing is that the reds stress accepting election outcomes but have also added some rather undemocratic stuff more recently. The fact though is that recognizing elections and dealing with corrupt elected polticians are not mutually exclusive indeed they are part of most democratic systems. The weirdiest thing of the lot in Thailand is that neither of the colour coded sets seem to be able to see or accept this.

Recognize elections and deal with corrupt polticians to the full extent of the law whoever they are should be something anyone who beleives in demoracy shoudl be able to unite around. I wouldnt necessarily include any of the leaders of the colour coded groups as believing in democracy though

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Have you ever tried to walk a tightrope spanned over a cage filled with hungry lions ? Give the man his due, I'd say :)

I second that...my biggest concern is whether he will get to the otherside

yes it happens in farang land too, but look; they got caught and are going to jail.

Try to imagine a news story like TiT. times 10,000

http://abcnews.go.co...fornia-11694066

There is nothing in Thailand that will stop you reporting or reporting about something like this, so it's nothing to do with your so called "no free speech".

'Buchholz' timestamp='1285141678' post='3899547']

'dumball' timestamp='1285138896' post='3899454']

'Buchholz' timestamp='1285135010' post='3899277']

't36ony' timestamp='1285134304' post='3899258']

I am driving my car along the road, minding my own business, when suddenly a car comes out of a junction right in front of me. It was either hit him or hit a bus in another lane. I had put the brakes hard on. I also beeped my horn and flashed my lights at the guy for doing this. For the other guy this was a sign that he did wrong. He then followed me for the next 10 minutes, going in front of me then braking hard and general intimidation. I think this highlights a fact that Thais will never admit they are wrong and if you say they are wrong they will get angry and come back at you double. It is very hard. ]

Actually, the reference was that what rarely happens here (perhaps it is different where you stay in Cambodia) is the face to face fist-fights like the one depicted in the video.

I am aware of what your comment was actually directed at , and why , but I gave it a little 'Twist' to point out what does not happen and should , things are different here in Cambodia , drivers sometimes show impatience but I have not seen an incidence of pure road rage , in 5 years i have not personally seen any fisticuffs either .

To say that irate drivers only follow to agrivate is a misconception , how many times have I read here on TV where these irrational drivers chase , force to stop and either beat the other driver with an iron bar a la in pucket(?) or shoot him . How about the mentaly disturbed son of a wealthy family chased a bus who had 'Offended ' him , pulled across in front of the bus at a stop and killed some innocent person , what did he get as punishment for MURDER , as far as I am aware NADA . You are akin to the corrupt officials who hide things or distort instances to , AHEM , save some face , in your post , in defense of the country you can never even become a citizen of , and are only considered as a (J)guest .

You wonder why I chose to leave a beautifull country ? Partially because of insane behaviour by far too many of its citizens , anger seething beneeth the calm facade presented , only to erupt at a seconds notice , give it a little more time and I feel you will get the point .

I am aware of what your comment was actually directed at , and why , but I gave it a little 'Twist' to point out what does not happen and should , things are different here in Cambodia , drivers sometimes show impatience but I have not seen an incidence of pure road rage , in 5 years i have not personally seen any fisticuffs either .

To say that irate drivers only follow to agrivate is a misconception , how many times have I read here on TV where these irrational drivers chase , force to stop and either beat the other driver with an iron bar a la in pucket(?) or shoot him . How about the mentaly disturbed son of a wealthy family chased a bus who had 'Offended ' him , pulled across in front of the bus at a stop and killed some innocent person , what did he get as punishment for MURDER , as far as I am aware NADA . You are akin to the corrupt officials who hide things or distort instances to , AHEM , save some face , in your post , in defense of the country you can never even become a citizen of , and are only considered as a (J)guest .

I didn't distort anything. Face-to-face fighting from road rage is rare here. One famous case of a deranged elite doing it doesn't make it a common occurrence.

I can become a citizen of this country. There's a very big thread on this forum on that subject.

You wonder why I chose to leave a beautifull country ? Partially because of insane behaviour by far too many of its citizens , anger seething beneeth the calm facade presented , only to erupt at a seconds notice , give it a little more time and I feel you will get the point .

It's not happened in over a decade of traveling the length and breadth of this country.

If you chose to leave here because of your own self-perceived "seething anger" is probably a good thing for both yourself and Thailand and I'm happy for you in peaceful Cambodia. I would just wonder why you seemingly spend so much time on a discussion board of somewhere you don't live. I mean, it's up to you, of course, but I just have difficulty understanding the motivations and time dedication to a place you obviously don't like and no longer reside in. Do you post this much on Cambodian discussion forums?

Try to imagine a news story like TiT.  times 10,000

http://abcnews.go.co...fornia-11694066

There is nothing in Thailand that will stop you reporting or reporting about something like this, so it's nothing to do with your so called "no free speech".

You are quite right but then you leave yourself open to civil and criminal charges of slander or libel. AFAIK whatever is said or written is true is not a defence.