Best Beer In Thailand

TheWorldandI

What's the best I can get at a regular store (7-11, lotus, mama-pop, etc). I have tried Leo, Chang, Singha, Cheers, Heineken, what else am I missing?

Leo - gives me bubbles if not taken with ice. Puts me in party mood cant sleep, excited and anxious.

Chang - Quick and up to the task (drunk) but heavy head when I wake-up after sleep.

Singha - flows through the throat seamlessly, drains the wallet quite fast (100B at a local bar here).

Cheers - I liked the taste of cheers extra.

Heineken - pretty much like water.

What's your experience and what do you reckon is the best?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All pretty shitty. Beer Lao best choice. Dark then light.

Agree.:thumbsup: All Others are shyt compared to Beer Lao.:burp:

As I'm ignorant as someone who only recently moved to Bangkok, where can I get it from?

I haven't seen it in the local 7/11, Big C or Villa Market - but I'd love to try it.

Cheers.

All pretty shitty. Beer Lao best choice. Dark then light.

Agree.:thumbsup: All Others are shyt compared to Beer Lao.:burp:

As I'm ignorant as someone who only recently moved to Bangkok, where can I get it from?

I haven't seen it in the local 7/11, Big C or Villa Market - but I'd love to try it.

Cheers.

Makro?

I've pretty much tried them all, I was an avid Leo fanboy, but now..........................There's a new king of Thai beers for me.

500ml tins of Chang Draught is much better, when Leo is very cold its ok but I used to throw so much beer away, as it gets warmer Leo makes me feel sick when I drink it.

Chang Draught does not have that same effect, it stays drinkable somehow.

I have only seen the 500ml Cans in Family Mart, 39 Baht per can.

Well worth a try IMO. smile.gif

The G Beer Bar used to flog Amarit on draft but seems to have gone...bai nigh?.....

that was about the time Rod Stewart advertised Kloisters' class="bbc_url">@

The G Beer Bar used to flog Amarit on draft but seems to have gone...bai nigh?.....

that was about the time Rod Stewart advertised Kloisters :D:burp:

I drink Chang Draught by the bottle, or should l say by the case. For me, nothing comes near. 5% alc. so cool. :)

I'm with you on that TA,

when I go to Isaan I'm gonna have to buy quite a few cases of Chang Draft in fear I'll only be able to buy Leo again.

I've had the Bottles too, but to be honest, I prefer the cans, but its certainly a good beer in either can or bottle.

Seems not so easily available in the 500ml cans that I see only my local family marts, I will probably hit some beer shops soon, see if packs of 500ml cans are available, probably not, will have to settle for the small cans. jap.gif

that was about the time Rod Stewart advertised Kloisters' class="bbc_url">@

that was about the time Rod Stewart advertised Kloisters :D:burp:

post-93587-039051500 1285422039_thumb.jp

Thats going back a bit mate.....smile.gif

Anyone ever thought about starting a microbrewery in BKK?

and what would be the brand and taste?

Hmm...lot's of options...problem is you need a commercial thinking. I would go for five or six different brews. One or two ales, a pils and a lager. Then I would probably be stupid enough to satisfy my own taste and brew a porter. And, potentially I would make an attempt to brew an ale using crystal malt.

Good bye Singha.

Anyone ever thought about starting a microbrewery in BKK?

and what would be the brand and taste?

Hmm...lot's of options...problem is you need a commercial thinking. I would go for five or six different brews. One or two ales, a pils and a lager. Then I would probably be stupid enough to satisfy my own taste and brew a porter. And, potentially I would make an attempt to brew an ale using crystal malt.

Good bye Singha.

So difficult to please people, but, I reckon one cannot go wrong with a good Pilsner. It's the reliable, steady brew that has spunk.

Microbreweries in Thailand, now that's something I never understood why they never sprang up in large numbers. On Phuket, with all the Europeans, I would have expected a MB would succeeed especially near or in Patong.

Sometimes I feel like an IPA, but can't find a decent one. A nice refined blonde perhaps? No such luck. And I'm not even a big beer drinker now, or someone with a refined palate.

I suppose it is difficult to source quality hops and malt and the other right grains. All I know is that Porter is what nursing mothers and heavy set gals drink. :sorry:

I've had some Changs, but my local friends look at me with disdain, and go ewww, what a "low class" guy etc. Apparently Chang is to Thailand what Fosters is to OZ and Budweiser or Pabst is to the USA, or Labatt 50 is to Canada. Has anyone noticed that all the major brews around the world now are starting to taste the same? Perhaps it's because of all the M&As with Annheiser Busch Inbev and Molson/Miller/Coors controling most of the big nreweries now.

I remember my first Newcastle Brown Ale. Now that was a treat. I got some bottles in Patong last Christmas, but they were stale :(

Oh well, best of luck to the brave souls that start a MB.

Beer Chang l find the best l drink daught as a social drink 5% nice taste too.

My favourite is Beer Chang Classic 6.4% followed by some straight Sang Song 80% good if you want to numb the brain for a while.wet.gif

Edited by Kwasaki

Out of the Thai beers will generally go for Leo. Chang I find the taste disgusting, and Singha just doesn't agree with me, although I reckon that Phuket Beer is still the worst I have tasted here in Thailand, not sure if it is still around though?

Edited by mrtoad

Out of the Thai beers will generally go for Leo. Chang I find the taste disgusting, and Singha just doesn't agree with me, although I reckon that Phuket Beer is still the worst I have tasted here in Thailand, not sure if it is still around though?

Toad,

Try Chang Draught, it's good stuff. jap.gif

Toad,

:)

Yeah, have tried it - I have to agree that Chang Draught is not bad at all. I just don't see it around in places when I go out to drink - so generally stick with Leo, although when I am in Bangkok the choice is far greater.

Toad,

Yeah, have tried it - I have to agree that Chang Draught is not bad at all. I just don't see it around in places when I go out to drink - so generally stick with Leo, although when I am in Bangkok the choice is far greater.

You'll need a few beers tonight mate.

Torquay United 1 - 3 Macclesfield Town.

Toad,

You'll need a few beers tonight mate.

Torquay United 1 - 3 Macclesfield Town.

:lol: Thanks for reminding me. Not a good result that one. :(