Bangkok’s CentralWorld Reopens Today

webfact

Bangkok’s CentralWorld, reopens today

Bangkok’s CentralWorld, reopens today (28 September 2010) following a THB2,800 million (HK$560 million) reconstruction and renovation.

The giant 550,000 sqm CentralWorld complex reopens with 80% of its retail space open for business, with the remainder expected to be completed in December and connecting Zen Department Store re-opening in August 2011.

Among new designer fashion stores making their debut in Thailand are Fred Perry, Stardivarious, Footwork Noir, Daks, Techno Marine, Berskha and Glam Rock.

Thai designers gain their own zone; with labels such as Senada, Boudoir, Manchu’s, Kloset, Disaya, Olanor, Painkiller, Vickteerut, Jogema and Missile.

The ice-skating rink, developed at a cost of around THB 100 million (HK$25 million), is scheduled to open in November.

Another innovation is a ladies parking area, exclusively reserved for lady drivers with 200 parking spaces.

CentralWorld is one of the largest lifestyle shopping complexes in Southeast Asia, with 550,000 square metres of retail space. CentralWorld’s anchor stores include Zen Department Store, Isetan, SuperSports, Powerbuy, B2S, Central Food Hall and SF World Cinema as well as over 500 retail stores and over 100 restaurants. It also features the Centerpoint complex and 8,000 sqm outdoor activity area, CentralWorld Square.

Source: http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news10/289-CentralWorld.shtml

ASIATRAVELTIPS

-2010-09-28

footer_n.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news for Central world ...

Ladies parking ..... so if we count : parking of platinum card from citybank , parking for central gold car , parking for platinum K bank , parking for ladies , parking for special things ... ETC .......... what is left for normal lambda customers ? LOL

Just amazing they've got so much rebuilt/reopen already. In a western country the company would still be trying to get a construction/rebuild permit, tied up in court over claims/insurance, etc.

The now re-opened area was mainly damaged by smoke and basically just needed some cleaning and painting. The re-building of the demolished part (Zen) has not yet even started. It´s probably cheaper just to get back in business asap, than to wait for all insurance claims to be paid.

Welcome back Central World! I will definitely go there and spend my money, in order to show my support to the affected shops and my disgust for the red shirt movement!

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 2

There was a white spot burger in CentralWorld?

I tried the Mos burger, not really my thing. But next time I head to Bangkok I will be sure to stop by. Zen was my favorite part of that shopping center tho.

Just amazing they've got so much rebuilt/reopen already. In a western country the company would still be trying to get a construction/rebuild permit, tied up in court over claims/insurance, etc.

And other bothersome things like a valid post fire structural integrity determination.

• Like 1

In a Western country - or in China - it would never have been permitted to happen in the first place.

• Like 2

I can only say well done and as the police took down all the ID cards and numbers of the departing bus reds, perhaps the bill should be now issued, split evenly amongst all unless of course they would like to point out who was actually responsible. But a slap in the face for the reds an will make a more determined vote against them and their party at the next election. They are a blot on Thai sensibilities.

• Like 2

In a Western country - or in China - it would never have been permitted to happen in the first place.

It is not like if the Mandarin Oriental in Beijing burned to the ground because of illegal fireworks in February 2009, 2-month before opening, and 18 month later nothing has been done yet to demolish it or restore it whistling.gif.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/4579647/China-TV-admits-it-burned-down-new-HQ-with-illegal-fireworks-display.html

And it looks today as the day after it burned...

The now re-opened area was mainly damaged by smoke and basically just needed some cleaning and painting. The re-building of the demolished part (Zen) has not yet even started. It´s probably cheaper just to get back in business asap, than to wait for all insurance claims to be paid.

Welcome back Central World! I will definitely go there and spend my money, in order to show my support to the affected shops and my disgust for the red shirt movement!

please don't talk bad about the red's as they are part of the REAL elected Thai gov. thank you

• Like 2

and while theyre still up for a bit of work they can sort the rest of the city out, roads, pavements, condos, the lot!

no safety checks required, it was all just a bit dusty.

ice skating! theres at least 2 other rinks in the city, so what?

painted rust!

and a bit of frozen skate gel.

with some glitter!!

cant wait!

ef

I can only say well done and as the police took down all the ID cards and numbers of the departing bus reds, perhaps the bill should be now issued, split evenly amongst all unless of course they would like to point out who was actually responsible. But a slap in the face for the reds an will make a more determined vote against them and their party at the next election. They are a blot on Thai sensibilities.

Insurance pays. To try to collect from the reds who took the bus would be an exercise in futility. Also not good in the spirit of reconciliation.

I'm only wondering how the reconstruction and renovation between end of May and now managed to cost a THB 2,800 million ? Gold-plaited staircases, platinum loo's, a fire detection and protection system ?

Edited by rubl

Anyone know if the White Spot burger place has re opened?????

It did not re-open; other businesses in its location now. Too bad.

About 1/3 of that 80% space is still either boarded up or not ready to open yet. Many of the previous merchants did not survive the 6 month hiatus.

Incredible news. Love you, Thailand. Love Central World. Hope lovely Big C reopens soon.

Fact that such a huge and prestigious shopping mall has been mostly put back on its feet in a matter of four months is a poignant reminder also of how so very dependent the Thais are on the retail business for their living. The attack and ruin of a place of daily work and earnings for thousands of Thais was vicious and shameful. I hope Thais never ever repeat such mindless madness however angry or frustrated they might be. Get back to life, laughter and love. That looks best on you Thais.

i think it's laughable you compare thai construction and opening times to western... i don't know about your country, but in america they put up a building in a 1/10th or even 1/100th the time it takes the thai to put up a similar venue.

Yes let's hope the thing doesnt collapse when its found out its been rushed?

That might have something to do with who the (ultimate) owners are ... wink.gif

Thailand's fire-damaged CentralWorld complex opens Tuesday

gallery_327_1086_32369.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's CentralWorld shopping complex --the country's largest and the second largest in Southeast Asia-- reopened Tuesday for shoppers, some four months after it went up in flames on the last day of the April-May protests at Ratchaprasong.

According to Central Pattana (CPN) president and chief executive officer Kobchai Chirathivat, 80 per cent of the total area reopened, while the remaining areas will be back to business by the end of the year.

CentralWorld was set afire by disgruntled Red Shirt protesters after their leaders surrendered to police on May 19 after a half-day of violence and the military closing in on Ratchaprasong intersection where the demonstrators had encamped since early April.

Mr Kobchai said the reopening was to stimulate the economy in Ratchaprasong area after the economy there has continuously improved since the end of June.

Some 400 out of 600 shops are back to business and CPN has extended some financial assistance to business tenants. The total sales volume in the shopping complex until the end of this year is expected at around Bt100-200 million (US$3-6 million), the executive said.

CPN has also improved its security system to the level of international standard such as installing surveillance cameras at all corners, increasing the number of security officers, providing a system that connects government-related agencies, having smoke detectors in shops and equipping the escalator system with security detection for customers.

Mr Kobchai said the building's structure was approved by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Public Works Department and certified by the Thailand Engineering Institute.

Meanwhile, Zen Department Store, located on a wing of the CentralWorld which collapsed after eight consecutive hours of fire, is due to open in August next year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-09-28

Anyone know if the White Spot burger place has re opened?????

I went up there at 10am looking for it...it was gone or not re-opened. The food area itself was still half done and there was a lot of acrid smoke as someone seemed to have cranked up an oven with a plastic cover still on it. I hope White Spot comes back.