Tot Internet

baco

In general in the daytime my speed is okay but in the evening I never have connection.

if i check my wifi/modem router,A TP-link the diagnostics gives me the follwowing results:

Testing Ethernet LAN connection ...

PASS

>> Testing ADSL Synchronization .

PASS

>> Testing ATM OAM segment ping ...

PASS

>> Testing ATM OAM end to end ping ...

PASS

>> Testing ATM OAM F4 segment ping ...

FAIL

>> Testing ATM OAM F4 end to end ping ...

FAIL

>> Ping Primary Domain Name Server .

PASS

>> Ping www.yahoo.com ...

PASS

the 2 that fail is there anything I can do or do I have to call TOT?

I have connection and speed is okay even with the 2 that fail

Sounds like not enough internet circuit bandwidth/capacity in your local area as people/kids get home from work/school and start logging onto the internet. DSL is a shared setup, so more people online sharing the bandwidth loads down the circuits. I have the TOT 4Mb plan here in western Bangkok and don't have the problems you are having... my speed stays pretty good and constant throughout the day and night...I expect my local TOT internet circuits have enough bandwidth/capacity to handle large numbers of users. Just wish I could get a higher speed plan, but 4Mb is the fastest available to my moobaan.

Don't worry about the two ATM things that fail as that is a special protocol used for special internet connections...not normal connections like you use. They fail on my modem also.

Edited by Pib

The best "test" is to notice how long it takes a typical webpage to load with your browser open. If you get between 2 and 5 secs you are average on ASDL.

However congestion and line quality ( attentuation and SNR) will affect download speeds along with slow servers. Speed tests only show what you should be getting.

Your modem/router is rarely the problem if configured correctly. I have a D-Link DSL 504G.

okay thanx guys,

there is not a lot i cab do I understand, strange before I had 2 mb and no problems very stable and now they've upgraded me(I never asked for it) to that basic package S of 4mb and the problems began after a few weeks.

Have had massive connection problems for 2 years since moving in. After many visits TOT decided to change the router - even worse - so after another 3 months they changed it for a new 'Billion' one. Great connection ever since. I'm in the sticks too.

It won't work for everyone but do beware that TOT will palm off previously used routers from a pile in their office on you. I assume that some other poor sod is now struggling with my old ones.

Have had massive connection problems for 2 years since moving in. After many visits TOT decided to change the router - even worse - so after another 3 months they changed it for a new 'Billion' one. Great connection ever since. I'm in the sticks too.

It won't work for everyone but do beware that TOT will palm off previously used routers from a pile in their office on you. I assume that some other poor sod is now struggling with my old ones.

I bought in Januari a new router with wifi TP-link TD-W8901G.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure what kind of router you had and what the actual problem was but the performance of one router to another changes very little from what I have learned from different routers tested. Maybe your old router was broken.

15:41 local time, speedtest from Chiangmai to Bangkok with my 6 MB line:

1021641551.png

15:44 local time, speedtest from Chiangmai to New York *yawn*:

1021643439.png

I expect the Bangkok server with the high ping time was the ThaiVisa Bangkok server where the earlier test with low ping time was on the STS Group Bangkok server. The majority of the time I get poor speedtest.net results from the ThaiVisa Bangkok server and the majority of the time I get good results from the speedtest.net STS Group Bangkok server. And the ThaiVisa Bangkok server usually gives me very high ping times (but not always)....ping times like I testing against a site in the US or Europe....like up around 300ms...the routing must be going through too many relay servers....is getting delayed at relay server XYZ, etc. I'm on a TOT internet package.

Speedtest sometimes has different servers used per location available to run a speed test against....and all servers are not created equal. When running the test be sure to look for the name of the server/company hosting that particular test. The name will be displayed in the upper right hand corner of the test being run. And of course all ISP are not created equal...maybe TOT in it's DNS routing is causing the variation in speed and ping results between the two servers.

You may need to run the test several times by opening and closing the speedtest.net site to get either the ThaiVisa hosted or STS Group hosted server to run your test. And don't be surprised if you run the test several times in quick succession to get widely variable speed and ping times....some bad....some good. Speedtest results can be affected by so many factors. Making multiple tests during the day and night over several days, and just the overall feel of how fast your browsing/downloading is going is probably the best test of how good or poor your internet package is. Don't reley on just a few tests.

Edited by Pib

I expect the Bangkok server with the high ping time was the ThaiVisa Bangkok server where the earlier test with low ping time was on the STS Group Bangkok server. The majority of the time I get poor speedtest.net results from the ThaiVisa Bangkok server and the majority of the time I get good results from the speedtest.net STS Group Bangkok server. And the ThaiVisa Bangkok server usually gives me very high ping times (but not always)....

Mine's the opposite: STS = high, ThaiVisa = low ping. I haven't seen low pings on the STS Group Bangkok server for months now -- which is quite surprising since it used to fall within the 25ms~35ms range.

I always get good speedtest.net results from both servers.

Thai internet is so predictable--NOT!!! On a country-wide basis, I'm a firm believer that location, location, location (i.e., capability of local circuits) makes more of a difference than what ISP you're with. And please note that I'm always right 50% of the time...thank goodness for my lucky coin. :)