Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Opens First Thai Store In Bangkok

Rimmer

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Opens First Thai Store in Bangkok

Krispy Kreme Doughnut Inc has announced the opening of its first franchised-owned store in Thailand, with predictions of further expansion in the nation, reaching 20 stores by 2015.

Bangkok, the 28th of September 2010: The North California-based Company’s subsidiary Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation, through franchisee KDN Company Limited, has opened the store. Majority owned/controlled by Ms. Ausanee Mahagitsiri, who with her family own and operate one of Thailand’s largest conglomerates, PM Group.

PM Group own/control interests in various stainless steel, shipping, fast-food and packaged goods companies, while the Mahagitsiri family holds a near 50% stake in Nescafe (Thailand), owns a golf course and has close affiliations with the now defunct Thai Rak Thai political party to which former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was leader.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY? Is it for the American tourists who come here? Make them feel at home and get a good home cooked meal. This American food is killing people the world over so why do they want to turn Thais into over bloated and obese people like themselves. American food should be completely banned in Thailand it is not healthy and has already poluted every other country in the world. :bah:

• Like 2

Don't think Krispy Kreme lasted that long in Hong Kong. And by the way, whatever happened to Rotiboy in Siam Square?

There's already so many competing doughnut brands here, let's see how KK fares.

They are known to keep for over two weeks since the doughnuts are completely covered in sugar glaze. Plus, if you follow the 7-second microwave rule, a KK doughnut will taste about the same off the hot conveyor belt.

I love that photo of Miss KK in the post above.

WHY? Is it for the American tourists who come here? Make them feel at home and get a good home cooked meal. This American food is killing people the world over so why do they want to turn Thais into over bloated and obese people like themselves. American food should be completely banned in Thailand it is not healthy and has already poluted every other country in the world. :bah:

I am not sure the fascination for one of least tasty doughnut from US. I guess Thai people love new things. In a few weeks it will be just another doughnut and no more crowd I am sure

No one is forcing anyone to eat anything but look at the obesity in Chinese kids now and the 'rush' of junk food outlets there now. It was even written up in Time Magazine around 10 years ago - The Fattening of China - showing kids so bulky they could not even sit up without help.

Thailand has a fair share of fatty's too and they usually hang out or are mostly seen at junk food shops. America has a fascination in junk food and despite ducking and weaving they cannot avoid the issue - junk foods are weapons of mass destruction. A simple fast food franchise and one like this, and 20 years from now when the medical profession and public health - yet to be fully introduced - gets hammered by type II Mellitus diabetics, huge heart disease problems, cholesterol out of control and so on, then perhaps the small franchises who start all this, can be held to book. Like drugs, no-one forces the first mouthful but is is still addictive and the results are horrendous long term.

I would charge a medical tax now against future claims payable by the people through the franchisor - say 1% of gross, which would contribute long term to rectify or at least treat those they contribute in destroying, through the health system and it would be substantial. Thanks America, thanks Ray Crock RIP (McDonalds), thanks Col. Sanders RIP (Kentucky Fried Cat), etc... And so it continues.

bah.gif

• Like 2

Thai's are already starting to get fatter on a yearly basis. You can't walk around any shopping area without at least 5 fast food venues within 200 meters of you. It's bad for the kids, and celebs over here going to get their freebies, just encourage the kids to go and eat there.

Having said that what floor is it on?

do you really need big brother to tell you what to eat. How about letting people make their own choices and taking responsibility for their own lives. Pretty arrogant statement to suggest your better suited to make choices for people than they are...

the reply of an overweight american

• Like 2

No one is forcing anyone to eat anything but look at the obesity in Chinese kids now and the 'rush' of junk food outlets there now. It was even written up in Time Magazine around 10 years ago - The Fattening of China - showing kids so bulky they could not even sit up without help.

I think that even nowadays in cities like Beijing there is not as many outlets selling fast food, donuts, ice creams than in Bangkok (and even Bangkok back in 2000).

The article might have mentioned what I think is the main factor or kid obesity in China: The Little Emperor syndrome.

But I agree with you, nobody if forcing people to go and eat there, and nobody forces the parents to bring their kids there too...

You need not be eating ANYTHING American to be too fat.

This is just another choice of an occasional snack.

If it becomes an obsession, then it is individually dangerous.

But the likelihood is anyonegetting too fat on KK is likely

to be fat on some other sugar smothered delight either way.

All right!!!!!! I see the Thais have taste! You know it's not the doughnuts that really bother some expats here, it's the fact that American culture is being diffused here at the request of the Thais! Thais love all things American! KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks,Kraft Food,the list is endless! What a great endorsement!!!!:D

I see no prob that Thais love American food.

Even better for Bangkok to offer wide variety of food - Thai, Japanese, Chinese, American, Italian, French, Indian etc.

The more the better. And if any kind is doing so well thru the market, then congratulations. You have found Thais taste.

Whether it'll last long when hype is gone, that we'll just have to wait and see.

For me, I'm happy there's KK around the corner - I have more choice :)

Thai's love sweet bakery type products available in many, many bakery outlets, markets, etc., throughout the country. I've never seen such a variety of high calorie bakery products in all types of flavors like I've seen in Thailand. Krispy Kreme will probably do just fine in Thailand and their donuts will probably be considered low calorie compared to many Thai bakery products I've seen (and eaten).

Nice to see someone who believes in freedom of choice.

Before you go too wild about unhealthy American food, keep in mind the amount of Thai food that is deep friend, and worse yet the frequency of the use of palm oil in Thai cooking.

This is scary, an American company that can spell doughnut, they lost the plot on the other two words though.

:cheesy:

The trouble with thinking about all this sweet, fattening food is... you start thinking about what you used to eat every week and haven't had for nearly a decade!

Mmmm.. cream slice...

gallery_35489_957_74621.jpg

Before you go too wild about unhealthy American food, keep in mind the amount of Thai food that is deep friend, and worse yet the frequency of the use of palm oil in Thai cooking.

No, no, that's impossible, Thai people getting fat couldn't possibly be because so many Thai dishes and deserts are incredibly fattening and high in calories (and delicious) it's 100% because of Americans

Calm down mate no one is forcing people to eat it. At the end of the day people if decide for themsleves to part with their hard earned money for donuts, up to them and good luck. Are Thai restaurants for Thai people in the US so they can feel at home. No, it's cause we all like a bit of variety in our diet, be it donuts of somtam

And it's not the food that's killing people, it's people killing themsleves by eating too much of it.

Exactly!! Everything in moderation and besides it's because it tastes good!!!!

Mmmm.. cream slice...

Haaaa a Mille Feuille jap.gif (or Napoleon slices as I have seen some shop calling it).

If you want poper pastries, I suggest you go to Paragorn ndeed, but don't go to KK. Head to Lenotre instead. My favorate place for a coffee in Bangkok till now smile.gif

Of course it is a bit more expensive but the Millefeuille is 85 THB... worth it! Prices are here: http://www.lenotrethailand.com/download/pricelist_lenotre.pdf

gallery_35489_957_11537.jpg

"Ooh, goody. I can't wait."

:lol:

I see it is working then, our master plan.

500 years ago the white-eyes came to our country.

They gave us the chicken-pox, the smallpox, and all those diseases. Then they took our land, killed off all our Buffalo, and put us on a reservation.

But we had our secret weapon, we gave them sugar. Now they have their diabetics, their obesity. They will soon be dieing off.

Then we shall reclaim our land, my red brothers.

When all the white-eyes are gone our land shall be ours again.

Krispy Kreme is our final weapon, laden with sugar. We shall spread it around the world. The world is ours then.

Krispy Kreme forever.

:rolleyes:

Mmmm.. cream slice...

Haaaa a Mille Feuille jap.gif (or Napoleon slices as I have seen some shop calling it).

Ah, now you have gone and done it, I spent the best part of two years in France, the pastries are to die for, and French people generally are not fat.... do you know why?

It's because they have a very balanced diet for the most part, the reason why Thai kids are getting fat is because they don't.... what would be to a European as a "should I, oh go on just this once" becomes a "want one now" to a Thai with a bit of money to spend on the kids... and after all, in this culture, having fat children is a sign of wealth, the fact that the parents may out-live the children because of this is something that hasn't hit home yet.

BTW the reason it is called a Napoleon Slice is because you feel obliged to stick one hand inside your shirt to stop your gut spreading over the counter.

I did not know that - I always thought it was called Napoleon because it was a common French cake. Well if you have lived 2 years in France, you know why it is called a mille feuille, even if it does not really have a thousand layers wink.gif

I read that before about our diet... I must admit I always wonder how this is possible given the amount of pastries and cheese we eat laugh.gif.

But another fact is quite interesting. People from South of France seems to have less heart problems due to the fact that in South West they use animal fat for cooking while in South East we use a lot of olive oil.

As for fat kids, well I tend to believe they are also somehow advantaged by genetics. My son seems to have taken from his mother and can eat a lot while staying really slim, while his twin sister seems to have taken from me... and hence might tend to fatten more easily. Funny how to see the taste goes, both born with the same gene pool, but one can eat really spicy food while the other enjoy more French food, even very strong cheeses.

Edited by PatLogan

All right!!!!!! I see the Thais have taste! You know it's not the doughnuts that really bother some expats here, it's the fact that American culture is being diffused here at the request of the Thais! Thais love all things American! KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks,Kraft Food,the list is endless! What a great endorsement!!!!:D

Is it possible they also prefer Americans as lovers? :whistling:

Feel free to fight amongst yourselves over that.

• Like 1