Thai Mobile Number With 081

gravion

081 were the first prefixes as I recall and I don't think they are company specific. Not to many of them issued these days it seems, if at all, unless they are recycled ones.

Edited by samran

As posted above, the 01 numbers were the first to get handed out, and now they are held as sort of a trophy, like "I got my cell phone before you," type thing.

There are no 01 numbers anymore. I've had my mobile from AIS for just about 10 years and originally it was 01 - xxx -xxxx. I also have Orange which of course True bought and that number was 09 - xxx - xxxx. A few years laters both had an 8 inserted between the 01 and the 09.

There is not much of a system. The last Excel spreadsheet I saw with prefixes for True and DTAC was 4,000 lines long. Numbers are assigned ad hoc as the telcos need them in small blocks of 10,000. That means 3 digits (087) is too small. You need to go out to 6 digits (087123) in order to specify the carrier. In some cases, a long time ago, a carrier could be granted a larger contiguous block of numbers, but that hasn't been the case for many years.

Of course, even this is not going to work soon, as number portability is nearly ready.

In short there is almost no way for you to know today, and there will be positively no way for you to know tomorrow.

Edited by gregb

As posted above, the 01 numbers were the first to get handed out, and now they are held as sort of a trophy, like "I got my cell phone before you," type thing.

There are no 01 numbers anymore. I've had my mobile from AIS for just about 10 years and originally it was 01 - xxx -xxxx. I also have Orange which of course True bought and that number was 09 - xxx - xxxx. A few years laters both had an 8 inserted between the 01 and the 09.

I have an old 01 mobile, that changed to 081 when they added "8" to all the mobile numbers. I think I have had the number for 10+ years, and it is now registered in my name. Registering your number is useful, as they will issue a new SIM with the same number if you lose your phone.

My 081 3** **** is on DTAC / Happy and is on prepaid service.

I was told once that the 081 numbers are now issued for monthly billed mobile account, but I have no proof that this is true.

Correct, I’ve had the same mobile number here since late 90’s, initially my number was 01xxx then it got changed to 081xxx as they were running out of numbers.

There are no specifics to location.

In short there is almost no way for you to know today, and there will be positively no way for you to know tomorrow.

Through my SMS business, I can 'ping' any mobile phone number and receive back a report of what mobile network it is on, and if the number has been ported or not. I tend not to use this service because it costs me about 5 cents US for each ping, and it's not really useful data for my business. But the data is available if one has connectivity agreements with the mobile networks.

Simon

^ One of the shops that used to do this for free a couple a years ago is Telewiz.

In Pattaya you can find one of their shop on the second floor of Carrefour, just opposite the checkout counters.

Back in the days their where about three- four area codes.

02- Bangkok

01- Cell phones

03- Other provinces

They later added 04

Before their were only a few companies with cell phone service. Cellular 900, Worldphone, etc.

Then came the GSM era. AIS and TAC, Hello 1800 was a minor company.

If your phone was 01-8xx-xxx it meant you were AIS 01-6xx-xxxx meant you were TAC (now DTAC)

0818xx-xxxx and 0816xx-xxxx meant you had the first available GSM numbers and your phone number was really old like 10 years ago.

At the time there were no prepaid sim cards so all phones were billed monthly.

The first prepaid sim cards were AIS 1-2-Call which gave them a 09-xxx-xxxx to differentiate them from post paid numbers. After 09 number ran out so 06 was added.

Now those number were running out so everyone needed to add an 8 for a cell phone number so it would free up 02,03,04 numbers.

home phone 02 cell phone 082, etc.

Numbers are all over the place now. I think the laws will change soon where numbers will no longer be attatched to any company. So you can move your number to any company regardless. So the number will belong to the owner not the company anymore.

For home phones:

02-8xx-xxxx means you have a True or telecom asia number while 02-4xx-xxxx means you have a TOT number. Not sure what it is now.

• Like 1

You’ve got most of it right, however regarding the pre paid sims you’re missing out a bit.

I’ve had a pre paid AIS sim (1-2-call) for over 10 years, and my number used to be 01-7xx-xxxx.

The 09-xxx and 06-xxx got issued a bit later, about 8 years ago, when the 01 numbers where running out.

I still have the same number, albeit they did add an 8 as a second digit, which was done to all mobile numbers.

So now my number is 08-17xx-xxxx, still pre paid.