Zone 2 Parking Lot At Suvarnabhumi Airport Closed Off By Armed Men

webfact

How typical of Thais to fight out their differences in public without the regard for others, authorities doing absolutely nothing, while the foreigners and travelers potentially becoming collateral damage.

Congratulations for yet another gold star for Thailand branding.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How typical of Thais to fight out their differences in public without the regard for others, authorities doing absolutely nothing, while the foreigners and travelers potentially becoming collateral damage.

Congratulations for yet another gold star for Thailand branding.

its all about money man, it is the only thing that counts in this country, it can by you justice, freedom, early demise for the opposition you name it it can be bought, quickly and cheaply. Things would certainly improve in my opinion if they had a police force but they dont, so people make thier own laws, simple really but not nice.

• Like 1

Of course, this isn't the first time that the Car Park at Swampy has been in the news. Does anyone remember this (quote from Chanel NewsAsia via wikipedia):

The airport contains 2 5-storey car park buildings with a combined capacity of 5,000 cars.

Two videos were released in which car park contractor Latthapol Kesakotle, in one video, claimed that he paid USD $250 million to Yaowaret Shinawatra (the Prime Minister's sister) to gain a contract to build and operate the airport car park, and another video in which he claimed he didn't pay anything to Yaowaret. He later publicly denied that that he paid anything to Yaowaret.

The current issue probably doesn't have anything to do with the alleged corruption of 5 years ago, but isn't there some saying about the 'fruit of a poisoned tree'?:whistling:

Of course, this isn't the first time that the Car Park at Swampy has been in the news. Does anyone remember this (quote from Chanel NewsAsia via wikipedia):

The airport contains 2 5-storey car park buildings with a combined capacity of 5,000 cars.

Two videos were released in which car park contractor Latthapol Kesakotle, in one video, claimed that he paid USD $250 million to Yaowaret Shinawatra (the Prime Minister's sister) to gain a contract to build and operate the airport car park, and another video in which he claimed he didn't pay anything to Yaowaret. He later publicly denied that that he paid anything to Yaowaret.

The current issue probably doesn't have anything to do with the alleged corruption of 5 years ago, but isn't there some saying about the 'fruit of a poisoned tree'?:whistling:

All three links lead to blank wiki pages that it said were recently made.???

That would be made recently blank.

What's pathetic about this is not that it happened, but that so many posters say something along the lines of "This is Thailand." More and more -- particularly since recent political events -- I've come to the conclusion that when you come right down to it, Thailand is a relatively lawless country. Shoot-outs on the expressway, seizures of the airport, thirty-some-odd buildings torched in a political dispute, hand grenades used on a fairly regular basis, and continual bloodshed (including beheadings) in the deep south...this is the third world nearly at its worst.

I am not sure you really meant to put it that way. "What's pathetic about this is not that it happened...?" No? I would say it is absolutely pathetic that this happened. This IS the Thai way of settling disputes and all too frequently it spills out into the open in a most messy manner. Same same as the "occupation forces" who took over the airport, and later on the others that took over government house and Ratchaprasong.

As for the "This is Thailand" reaction, you might expect to find similar reactions in any place in the world where the ordinary citizen is aware that authority itself is imbued with the mafia culture -- a convenient term I use for self-confident disregard or contempt for law. The really pathetic thing here is that law enforcement is so severely hamstrung by an utter lack of unity among the forces -- whether it is the police, army or government. There are factions within factions, each owing allegiance to a political (mafia) master. The military is invariably the arbiter, and more insidiously, any single military or police boss, relatively high up the chain, can deploy weapons of the state by simply carting them away from the armoury with impunity to execute a personal agenda. And invariably he gets away with murder while the man holding the reins of government is left facing all the world's criticism -- as happened throughout the Ratchaprasong event.

Edited by HereIAm

name='Viper' timestamp='1285909735'

It will all boil down to the root of all evil. Money!

There is nothing evil about money. How would we manage our lives without it? How would you pay for you food, clothes, etc?

To say "Money is the root of all evil" is very different from saying "Money is evil". The first expression is saying that if you examine evil you will find money at its root. It doesn't mean that all money and its uses are evil, but simply that evil is fuelled by money. If you say for example that "matches are at the root of most forest fires" it doesn't negate the value of matches.

1 Timothy 6:10

parallel7.gifNew International Version (©1984)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

New Living Translation (©2007)

For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

English Standard Version (©2001)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. New American Standard Bible (©1995)

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

http://bible.cc/1_timothy/6-10.htm

Might as well have King James 1611 too.

6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil:

which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,

and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Some still consider this the most accurate translation,

even if it was to olde English

The carparks were taken over by 100 men in black, who stopped staff from doling out tickets and prohibited them from letting any cars out.

I am not the calmest when it comes to situations like these and I am sure other foreigners ( farang-ALIENs )here are seeing it the same way. I dont know how I had react if someone forbids me to exit my car from a parking lot after I had a 12 hour flight and baggage and immigration stress.

So I am collateral damage then? Or how does the Thai government will explain it to my family and friends after these guys went crazy. :ph34r:

yaowaret.jpg

Thaksin's younger sister and Pheu Thai Party Southern Region Coordinator Yaowaret Shinawatra.

"Mrs Yaowaret and a politician demanded 300 million baht in 'commission' to secure a 25-year parking service contract for the new Suvarnabhumi airport."

"They promised future assistance for the company to win a furniture contract worth more than one billion baht," Mr Nittinun, managing director of Rush Fur Thai Co Ltd said.

Mr Nittinun said he had paid 25 million baht to the pair in two installments _ five million in August 2003 and 20 million in September of the same year _ and had promised to pay the remaining 275 once his business won the contract.

However, the contract went to Ch Karnchang Plc.

She also had her Bachelor Degree from Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University revoked because of a forged vocational certificate that was issued for her admission to the university.

OK found a few real fact that are related - and the name of the company - Parking Management Co. -

It is an internal conflict among its directors, but AoT will can their contract if they don't work it out soon. Dispute started among its directors three months ago when they missed certain contractual deadlines. Seems a Thas Pojpraphan was upset about the new seating arrangements in the board room as a result. :whistling:

I'm not surprised someone will bring this to blame Thaksin again.

Too hard to move on isn't it.

I bet the ppl in charge of the country did everything they possible can to cheat his family and "friends" after they came to power. The yellows are not just a f...k little bit better then the red leaders or any other ppl with power in LoS....its just about money, not more not less. Take as much as you can and give nothing back....reminds me of something ARRRRRHHHHG HAAAR HAAAAR HAAAAR

tell me what you want but nothing has changed since Khun Thaksin "left" the country, just the people stealing the money from Thailand are looking different a bit.

It will all boil down to the root of all evil. Money!

There is nothing evil about money. How would we manage our lives without it? How would you pay for you food, clothes, etc?

To say "Money is the root of all evil" is very different from saying "Money is evil". The first expression is saying that if you examine evil you will find money at its root. It doesn't mean that all money and its uses are evil, but simply that evil is fuelled by money. If you say for example that "matches are at the root of most forest fires" it doesn't negate the value of matches.

You are both miss quoting the Good Book, the correct quote is "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil." Money is just a tool.

• Like 1

And they want to build a nuclear power plant in Thailand. Where armed blokes just stroll in wherever they please.

I feel really guilty sometimes. The people I love here, my family, my friends - all Thai. But the pathetic aspects running through so much here is saddening

• Like 1

situations like this seem to be the norm in BKK lately,

Grenades, bombs, armed men chilling at the airport, mass uprisings...

Makes me want to withdraw all my foreign funds and invest in this place.....NOT... :realangry:

and im sure im not the only foreigner that feels this way

What's pathetic about this is not that it happened, but that so many posters say something along the lines of "This is Thailand." More and more -- particularly since recent political events -- I've come to the conclusion that when you come right down to it, Thailand is a relatively lawless country. Shoot-outs on the expressway, seizures of the airport, thirty-some-odd buildings torched in a political dispute, hand grenades used on a fairly regular basis, and continual bloodshed (including beheadings) in the deep south...this is the third world nearly at its worst.

I am not sure you really meant to put it that way. "What's pathetic about this is not that it happened...?" No? I would say it is absolutely pathetic that this happened. This IS the Thai way of settling disputes and all too frequently it spills out into the open in a most messy manner. Same same as the "occupation forces" who took over the airport, and later on the others that took over government house and Ratchaprasong.

As for the "This is Thailand" reaction, you might expect to find similar reactions in any place in the world where the ordinary citizen is aware that authority itself is imbued with the mafia culture -- a convenient term I use for self-confident disregard or contempt for law. The really pathetic thing here is that law enforcement is so severely hamstrung by an utter lack of unity among the forces -- whether it is the police, army or government. There are factions within factions, each owing allegiance to a political (mafia) master. The military is invariably the arbiter, and more insidiously, any single military or police boss, relatively high up the chain, can deploy weapons of the state by simply carting them away from the armoury with impunity to execute a personal agenda. And invariably he gets away with murder while the man holding the reins of government is left facing all the world's criticism -- as happened throughout the Ratchaprasong event.

I understand what you're saying, so let me just clarify my position. I find it pathetic that so many say "TIT" -- as if this kind of action is to be expected...yes, that's a pathetic state for a state to be in (to paraphrase "Evita"). Yes, I agree, the action itself was deplorable, but if it were an isolated incident, then I'd say, "Well, things happen." But these lawless episodes are happening all too frequently.

On hearing bullsh1t like this I need to take a look out the window to remind myself that I'm actually in Thailand and not Somalia, Eithiopa or Iraq, but after looking sometimes I'm not too sure.

I can report that I came back from a trip yesterday afternoon, my car was parked in Zone 2, and I was able to get it out without a problem. No sign of Men in Black, but there was a lot of extra police presence in the area, including a checkpoint with about five policemen just after the exits from the carparks on the way to the roundabout out of the airport. Actually, a checkpoint was set up, but I didn't see them checking anyone. Never seen a checkpoint there before.

State of emergency ?

Wouldn't you expect a fairly well trained armed response unit to be on hand close to all international airports?

The mind boggles - if they can take a car park, they could certainly take a few planes full of people.

"Wouldn't you expect a fairly well trained armed response unit to be on hand close to all international airports? "

that was them

situations like this seem to be the norm in BKK lately,

Grenades, bombs, armed men chilling at the airport, mass uprisings...

Makes me want to withdraw all my foreign funds and invest in this place.....NOT... :realangry:

and im sure im not the only foreigner that feels this way

Comeon. ~15% growth in Thai stock is not so bad. ;)

Just little boom here and there. You'll get used to it. :D

State of emergency ?

Wouldn't you expect a fairly well trained armed response unit to be on hand close to all international airports?

The mind boggles - if they can take a car park, they could certainly take a few planes full of people.

"Wouldn't you expect a fairly well trained armed response unit to be on hand close to all international airports? "

that was them

Considering all the military bases in and around Bangkok, they should have been able to have an armed response there within 20 minutes.

........and how do you get a legal gun license?? ,,,,,, you take a gun and threaten someonethat youll shoot them if they dont give you a firearms license F.A.T!!!!!![

There are many ways.

Open a gold shop, and you will have no difficulties getting one.

If your life is threatened and you report it to the cops with some form of proof - which is open to interpretation (and maybe corruption!).

Join a shooting club.

However, there is a big difference to getting a license to have one at home and getting a license to carry one.

Men in black block carparks in Suvarnabhumi

deputy director for operation of the Suvarnbhumi Airport, said the company had called a meeting with the carpark operator on October 11. At the meeting, AOT will discuss whether it should extend the contract with the parking firm and whether it should demand that the services be improved.

From the other paper, the AOT decided not to wait until October 11 and has canceled its contract that ran until 2015 with Parking Management Co, as of this morning, over this incident with the armed men.

Around 40 armed men dressed in black

The men in black are now backing up the Thaksinista taxi service?

The only bright spot in all of this is that they remain employed after May Mayhem 2010, thus keeping unemployment figures lower.

Well look at it this way. At least it is a different color. Hahahahaha So now who are they anyway? If it had been the yellow shirts the Police would not even show up. If it had been the red shirts the army would have been there to fight.

OH WELL>:lol::whistling: