Samui Airport Incident

I own a house on Koh Samui and am a great fan ofThailand, the Thai people and Thai culture but I have to report a very disturbing incident at Samui airport on 30th September.

I arrived on PG 127 from Bangkok and was waiting for a friend (also a local resident) to pick me up and take me to my house in Bangrak.

I was approached by two young first time German tourists who asked me for advice on where to stay I reccomended they stay in the Northern part of Samui as it was quieter and this appeared to be what they wanted.

I then suggested that if there was room in the car we could drop them off near the Samui Pier Hotel where there are a number of lower cost hotels and they agreed .

At this point we were confronted by a local Thai who was working for the Taxi booking service. He became very aggressive and threatening and asked me if I really had a house in Samui. I told him I did and he then told us to get in the car and GO. He then grabbed the young German guy and refused to let him get into the car and threatened me if I allowed them to do so.

I had my 8 year old daughter with me and she was very afraid and disturbed so we left without the German couple.

I have never experienced anything like this rude and threatening behavior ANYWHERE let alone Thailand which is famous for its lovely and welcoming people and this occurred in front of many tourists--not good for the image of Thailand.

I suppose these are desperate times, for some of these shonky operators. I would have just asked for security or airport management. Being threatned is not a non issue, I would have made sure of the powers to be at the airport are aware of it.

I presume you are talking about one of the young men sitting at the taxi desk? I would still go & report it to the airport management.

I suppose these are desperate times, for some of these shonky operators. I would have just asked for security or airport management. Being threatned is not a non issue, I would have made sure of the powers to be at the airport are aware of it.

I presume you are talking about one of the young men sitting at the taxi desk? I would still go & report it to the airport management.

:angry: It's time to turn up the heat on BKK Airways ! Open for all to see, as you arrive at Samui Airport, you are met by touts who attempt to shove you into a taxi that will take you to Chaweng for Baht 600 or Lamai for Baht 800. Great first impressions ! My cabinet needs a Transport Minister and I don't mean one like that snake eyed character in Bangkok. Wot say you Jeanelle ?

Maybe they were worried about you ripping off the German tourists . I suppose it was all done with good intentions & integrity protecting their benefactors clientele.:realangry:

On a serious note, just do as a previous poster has suggested, contact airport management & bring it to their attention & maybe advise them you might seek legal action against them, for allowing such behaviour on their property.Threatning you & manhandling another person is not acceptable behaviour.

I have never been to Samui and never will go there I hear and read way to many stories about the mafia behavior there and want nothing to do with it. I tell eryone I meet to stay away from Samui if they ask if it is good place to go. To be honest I tell people to stay from the Kohs completely they are all a big rip off now full of mafia and thugs. Name me a Koh that is worth visiting without these thugs and mafia and I might listen , I have been around long enough to know there isnot one Koh here with enough to offer to off set the crap a person has to take from the thugs and mafia types.

I have never been to Samui and never will go there I hear and read way to many stories about the mafia behavior there and want nothing to do with it. I tell eryone I meet to stay away from Samui if they ask if it is good place to go. To be honest I tell people to stay from the Kohs completely they are all a big rip off now full of mafia and thugs. Name me a Koh that is worth visiting without these thugs and mafia and I might listen , I have been around long enough to know there isnot one Koh here with enough to offer to off set the crap a person has to take from the thugs and mafia types.

Then you may as well stay where you are right now, and without knowing where that is, I bet you there will be people ripped off as well, whether Thailand, US, UK, Uganada.....

• Like 1

I have some sympathy with your way of thinking because the existence of these types is entirely unacceptable in any decent society.

However the Island has many many redeeming features which far outweigh the disgusting behaviour of these individuals. They are too long to list here, but a more balanced view on your part would I think be more reasonable.

• Like 2

Another great reason to come to Samui. :angry: As other posters have said, make a formal complaint to Security and BKK Airways the ones that own the Airport.

(But they probably get a commission from the Taxi Mafia to operate there?)

Then you might as well say that I will never to to the USA - they bomb people in buildings! (Yes it happened more than once.)

Rip-offs at tourist areas IN ANY COUNTRY are a fact of life. Taxis in Italy, Ice creams at Blackpool, whatever. (To put it this one in perspective - millions of passengers through the airport every year and one complaint like this!)

To actively say to travelers "Never go to XXX place - you will be ripped off" is a bit like saying "Stay at home the world's a nasty place."

I suspect that you are not being honest as you suggest in your post, but rather that you are trying to impress people with your 'worldly' knowledge gained from reading negative points from forums like these.

You will never know if you never go!

Edited by sbk
no need to flame
  • Like 1

What a stupid thing to say. Then you might as well say that I will never to to the USA - they bomb people in buildings! (Yes it happened more than once.)

Rip-offs at tourist areas IN ANY COUNTRY are a fact of life. Taxis in Italy, Ice creams at Blackpool, whatever. (To put it this one in perspective - millions of passengers through the airport every year and one complaint like this!)

To actively say to travelers "Never go to XXX place - you will be ripped off" is a bit like saying "Stay at home the world's a nasty place."

I suspect that you are not being honest as you suggest in your post, but rather that you are trying to impress people with your 'worldly' knowledge gained from reading negative points from forums like these. Get a life.

You will never know if you never go!

But this is the what is happening all over the world. People who have never come here before now don't want to come. It's irrelevant whether their impression is accurate or not. They have heard and read about riots. Red shirts. Mobs on the streets. Bombs and buildings on fire. State of emergency. Prostitution rife. People living in cardboard sheds. Scams everywhere, tailors and jewellery rip offs in Bangkok and people shot and raped on Samui. Samui has no public transport and the illegal taxi drivers have machetes and knives.

Yes, only one person out of the million has actually said something here about his bad experience at the airport. But how many do you imagine have had bad experiences and told all their friends, who have told and texted all their friends and passed it on via blogs, forums, websites, letters to their local paper etc etc.

And then there's the fact that it's now a pain for a family to get to Samui. Messing about and changing planes after a 24-hour journey and then the ridiculous BK Airways prices.

This all adds up to reasons why fewer people are coming to Samui. It's cheaper, easier and much less hassle to spend your holiday money in Phuket now. And with money tight around the world, who wants the extra expense and all the problems they've heard about with Samui?

Rob

R

• Like 1

as you arrive at Samui Airport, you are met by touts who attempt to shove you into a taxi that will take you to Chaweng for Baht 600 or Lamai for Baht 800.

As Bangkok AIr do not allow 'ordinary' taxis into the airport, I have always assumed these 'touts' are either a concession, or actually on the payroll of Bangkok AIrways itself! Either way, they really are not doing the company any favours with this type of behaviour.:realangry:

If you have a complait you could always e-mail Mr Boonsom the airport manager or give him a call speaks good english boonsom (at) bangkokair.com

Edited by sbk
no emails in posts-please do not feed the spammers

I'm always amazed at the fares the taxis on Samui charge. Even the hotels charge 400thb from chaweng to the airport. My girlfriend, a native of Samui, and I were out one night and she wanted to leave early and left me to carry on drinking with some friends in Chaweng. As we hadn't taken one of our motorbikes that night she got a taxi home. Later I got a taxi myself and i got charged 300thb from Soi Green Mango to by the temple just before the lights by Tesco Lotus. I thought this was a lot and thought it was because I was a farang and "easy pickings".

When I got in the house and asked my gf what she paid she told me 300thb, so they even rip off their own, or do they? Is it just a sign of the times and taxi fares have actually increased. I understand the argument of the so-called mafia levying prices but are things changing as a natural matter of course?

My view always has been that Samui is flooded with taxis and a couple of the drivers in my gf's family have told me they really do struggle to make a living, and they do struggle, I know that for a fact. But I tell them that there are 4 major factors that are causing this problem, these being:

Too many taxis in Samui, especially Chaweng

Prices way too high even compared to central Bangkok

No Meters (even though they advertise meter)

Farang tourists prefer to walk because they go to LoS for the sun

Wanted a taxi one night to go from by Ark Bar down to Eat Sense and was asked for 200thb. Needless to say me and the gf enjoyed the walk in the end :rolleyes:

Edited by xybadog

Is it just a sign of the times and taxi fares have actually increased. I understand the argument of the so-called mafia levying prices but are things changing as a natural matter of course?

I am not sure how the equivalent of a days wage for some people on this island to go a few hundred yards in a shiny yellow car can be considered a natural matter of course.:lol:

I think the rest of your point is more valid; there are too many. So, either a few of them make enough money to make a living and pay the rent of the car, and the rest start doing something else. Or, (because this is Samui) ALL of them put up the prices in line with what the Boss tells them to do in the wild hope that they all make a living out of it! Besides, all they need is a couple of stray tourists a day to earn a decent sum of money.

The best thing I recommend for you is to stay at home locked away in your bedroom with the windows barred up, only go out during the day and make sure your in a group,

just in case some children ride passed you and knock you over,I suggest you carry mobile speed bumps.

I aint got a clue what part of the world your from, but I can tell you this, there is far less crime and violence here on Samui than back home in Manchester, England

Stay where you are, Samui needs open minded people who are not affraid to step outside their front door.

• Like 1

I would be carefull about reporting it. they might put it that u r acting like a taxi without a work permit. Even if u do a service for free u can still be nicked.

I would let it go.

Too be honest if u had your 8 year ld daughter with u. then u should think carefully before u pick up strangers and put them in your car.

it isn't that bad. it is just that bad stories are a very popular read. we all love to read it and we all get off on it. The truth is that i could walk all the way round the island throught the night. ( if i was storng enough ) and be safer than walking through London, Manchester, Birmingham , Staines ( Ali Gee) Pattaya and evenn Bangkok

New york.

i know they are all cities but so is samui. It is an Amper muang which makes it the size of the city but still part of the province.

Edited by BigC

there are actually more murders in Esaan they just don't make the forang news because it is not forang business. there are not many forangs being murdered. Even though Thailand is in the top 15 murder capitals of the world. Most of it is Thai on Thai. There are a few forang cases. They normally grab loads of media attension and get drawn out. If they were to do the same with every muder. there would be no room on the internet of tv.

Any as a forang it is one of the safest places in the world. As a forang i would put more money on being shot in S. Africa and no body following up my murder than over here.

just probably jinked myself now. probably bve shot dead by tomorrow lol

Edited by BigC

it isn't that bad. it is just that bad stories are a very popular read. we all love to read it and we all get off on it. The truth is that i could walk all the way round the island throught the night. ( if i was storng enough ) and be safer than walking through London, Manchester, Birmingham , Staines ( Ali Gee) Pattaya and evenn Bangkok

New york.

i know they are all cities but so is samui. It is an Amper muang which makes it the size of the city but still part of the province.

I feel I should reply because my first post didnot seem to say what I was actually thinking . I am sure it is safer On Samui than many places in the world. I lived on an island for a large part of my life and I feel I understand island mentality.What I was trying to say and I get the impression many didnot see what I was trying to say . So I will try again. Places like Samui have nothing to offer me because They are mafia ran visitors are subject to direct confrontation for doing natural human interactions, if the locals donot agree with the behavior or see a baht to be made they get agressive.An island makes it own rules everywhere in the world that is island life I just wouldnot be able to tolerate the Samui rules. I donot want to vacation somewhere that I have to keep looking over my shoulder in fear I have broken a local rule . And now compared to 10 years ago the prices have gone off the deep end . Who wants to go to a place where all they want is your money and let you know it from the time you get off the plane till you get back on it.No respect treated like second class person and just give me your money or you get problems mentality is unbearable for me sorry.

New york.

I feel I should reply because my first post didnot seem to say what I was actually thinking . I am sure it is safer On Samui than many places in the world. I lived on an island for a large part of my life and I feel I understand island mentality.What I was trying to say and I get the impression many didnot see what I was trying to say . So I will try again. Places like Samui have nothing to offer me because They are mafia ran visitors are subject to direct confrontation for doing natural human interactions, if the locals donot agree with the behavior or see a baht to be made they get agressive.An island makes it own rules everywhere in the world that is island life I just wouldnot be able to tolerate the Samui rules. I donot want to vacation somewhere that I have to keep looking over my shoulder in fear I have broken a local rule . And now compared to 10 years ago the prices have gone off the deep end . Who wants to go to a place where all they want is your money and let you know it from the time you get off the plane till you get back on it.No respect treated like second class person and just give me your money or you get problems mentality is unbearable for me sorry.

i disagree. Firstly every airport has it own eleminte of corruption. London hearthrow has its far share of rip off illegal taxi's so has bangkok.

If u go anywhere in the world u have to do your homework and be aware. Firstly the Germans should not get into a strangers car. this person was probably gernerally offering someone some help but that goes against the basic rules of life. Don't pick up strangers. Don't go into strangers cars. I know in this case maybe everyone had good intensions but that is not an island rule. that is common sense.

secondly. If you know your way around. like in Bangkok air port. you go to the taxi Que and pay 50 baht extra then the taxxi is registered and you go straight on the meter.

they have a similar que in samui. It might be exxpensive than bangkok but that is the way it is. You probaby won't get hacked to peices if u get into a registered taxi. specially if it is registered with the airport.

I do agree to some extent. i hate thosse english and forang and thai time share people that try to trick people into buying a time share. they try to use the trust of being from the same country as yourselves and rip u off. this reuins peoples holidays.

As for taxi touts. they are everywhere.

As for Mafia they are everywhere. Probably less in samui than the press tends to push. For some reason samui has a reputation for mafia. Everywhere in Thailand.

when u mention u r from samui they repy with the word mafia.

Compared to Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok and many many other cities there is not much or not much more than anywhere.

Infact the forangs are pretty well protected on this island because the local people work with the police to keep structure. Most of them are good people who just want there place respected and want the normal people to enjoy their holidays.

I hear that the local people are mistaken for mafia. This simply is not true. Yes the local people have more power but most of them use it to protect their island as well as make business. as everyone needs and income. you cannot blame people for trying to make a profit.

As for the crime and gangs. the locals hate them as much as we do and the gangs are not local. Yes sometimes the younger genoration might mess behave every now and then but they do get punished at home. where as the other gangs do all there bad stuff away from home. away from their parents so they can get into less trouble.

If u think that some is a mafia place. Then you can work round it. It isn;t that hard. Just find out all the Main telephone numbers.

If you are paranoid about taxis/ find out what the normal rate is from

A - B.( it might vary between day time and night time. Then make a note of the drivers number if u really are paranoid.

Girls should travel in groups. like anywhere.

Try to enjoy yourselves and try to stay out of bother.

Anyway isn't that part of the fun. for first time people. trying to work out how the place works. then working around it.

I mean it is not afghanistaan.

• Like 1

New york.

come on mate......your first post states you've never been to Samui and you made a lot of assumptions on hear say. Now you are looking over your shoulder in fear, are you a tabloid journalist?

I don't know what the fuss is, I've been to Samui many times over many years and always had a wonderful experience. Okay taxis are expensive, it's a negative. I've heard some not so nice stories, but that's not isolated to Samui or Kohs, your talk of thugs, mafia and confrontation are sensationalized speculation at best. I only hope the people you offer advice to make up their own mind, they will be missing out on a great holiday otherwise.

Bubbleboy you should check out this thread, you might get a warm fuzzy

jap.gif

New york.

come on mate......your first post states you've never been to Samui and you made a lot of assumptions on hear say. Now you are looking over your shoulder in fear, are you a tabloid journalist?

I don't know what the fuss is, I've been to Samui many times over many years and always had a wonderful experience. Okay taxis are expensive, it's a negative. I've heard some not so nice stories, but that's not isolated to Samui or Kohs, your talk of thugs, mafia and confrontation are sensationalized speculation at best. I only hope the people you offer advice to make up their own mind, they will be missing out on a great holiday otherwise.

Bubbleboy you should check out this thread, you might get a warm fuzzy

jap.gif

yep this is a mafia island they are thinking or renaming it from koh Samui to Koh Sapranos ;)

• Like 2

Unfortuneatley many foriegn business operators will show face to protect an image of Samui that is long gone, yes i can understand it you want to protect your investment!!!!!!!!!!!!, but lets be honest the land of smiles is fast becoming the land of scams and violence, yes you may choose to disagree and say it happens everywhere but we are talking about an island with a reported population of 65.000 with no active police force and where most crime is brushed under the carpet. You might change your prespective if you were on the recieving end. No offence to the many remaining genuine smiling Thai Diamonds.

:angry: It's time to turn up the heat on BKK Airways ! Open for all to see, as you arrive at Samui Airport, you are met by touts who attempt to shove you into a taxi that will take you to Chaweng for Baht 600 or Lamai for Baht 800. Great first impressions ! My cabinet needs a Transport Minister and I don't mean one like that snake eyed character in Bangkok. Wot say you Jeanelle ?

Are you sure it's the fault of Bangkok Airways? Unless things have changed, Samui Accomm used to have a minibus concession there. Fares from 70 baht.

Are you sure it's the fault of Bangkok Airways? Unless things have changed, Samui Accomm used to have a minibus concession there. Fares from 70 baht.

I am not sure but maybe the airport line is to protect customers by using registered taxis to take people from A to B. So they can have a track on who goes where.

Then i am only guessing. The taxis propbably have to register and pay a fee. which they obviuosly charge to the customer. which is probably the 70 baht. or 50 baht in bangkok. just guessing

As has been said on other threads, people here who are engaged in the ripping off of tourists come to feel entitled to their scam and get upset over your intrusion into their monopoly. In this case they felt those other travelers were theirs to fleece and you had no right to get in the way. Last time I flew into the airport I expected to take the shuttle, being only one person and arriving during a time my usual ride was working. They told me no one else was going to that part of the island and I had to take a taxi for 800 baht. I was so outraged (even though I could have charged it to my employer as a business expense) that I decided to walk to the ring road just to let off some of my steam. Once there, since it was just 6pm, song taews were now charging like taxis and the best I could do was 600baht for an old truck with a lovely old man driving. He urged me to sit up in the cab of the truck with him and when I told him how I was feeling (still) jai roon (hot) about this he kept patting me on the arm and saying, 'Jai yen yen , jai yen yen' (chill). It seemed good advice.

I think getting away from the airport with your child and later talking to the airport manager sounds like the best advice.

As has been said on other threads, people here who are engaged in the ripping off of tourists come to feel entitled to their scam and get upset over your intrusion into their monopoly. In this case they felt those other travelers were theirs to fleece and you had no right to get in the way. Last time I flew into the airport I expected to take the shuttle, being only one person and arriving during a time my usual ride was working. They told me no one else was going to that part of the island and I had to take a taxi for 800 baht. I was so outraged (even though I could have charged it to my employer as a business expense) that I decided to walk to the ring road just to let off some of my steam. Once there, since it was just 6pm, song taews were now charging like taxis and the best I could do was 600baht for an old truck with a lovely old man driving. He urged me to sit up in the cab of the truck with him and when I told him how I was feeling (still) jai roon (hot) about this he kept patting me on the arm and saying, 'Jai yen yen , jai yen yen' (chill). It seemed good advice.

I think getting away from the airport with your child and later talking to the airport manager sounds like the best advice.

hence why allot of people buy brand new cars and motor bikes. probably works out cheaper than renting taxis. they really shoot themselves in the foot. makes me wonder if the taxi is just a front for some other kind of shady business.

There are so many taxis nearly more than there are people. In bangkok there is no need to buy a car or a motor bike.

the bike taxi charges me 10 baht. the sky train is about 15 to 35 baht and the new sjy train from the airport is 15 baht promotion. taxis start at 35 vbaht for the first 2 km. is it a wonder why all these taxis in bangers are all busy.

The tuk tuks i have had problems with then againn who cares with all that other transport about.

1 taxi driver offered to take me from bangkok to samui for 6000 baht plus gas. that isn't bad condiring 800 baht just to drive to a section of this small island. wonder if the taxi driver would go back to bangers when he sees how much the other taxis are ripping off tourists