Why This Long 6 Day / 48 Hour Work Week?

I love my job and have no complaints EXCEPT the 6 day work week. Everyone works 6 days a week and I am not sure how those wit more physical jobs do it. I work in a hotel and I can't even imagine how the house keeping, waiters and massage staff manage to keep going some of them for years and years.

My Salary is quite good and so I don't want to complain, and I don't want a pay cut to take a day a week off with leave. But I am hoping in the future I will have some side income so that I may do just this.

I don't even have kids and I just wonder how the staff with kids, especially those without immediate family to take care of their kids, do it.

I recently found out thought that unbeknown to me that actually a lot of the staff share my sentiments.

What other countries in the world have a 6 day work week? And how can anyone spend quality time with their family working 6 days.

WIth 1 day off I feel that if I even have lunch with friends it is over. No time to go home and wash clothes.

I don't even feel I have the luxury of sitting on the couch to read a book as I LOSE TIME. and ON no if I sleep in.

Clearly at my work no one in the management positions need 6 days to do their jobs. Everyone with a computer is clearly doing extra curricular activities. Shopping surfing..etc..

Just wondering if anyone shares my sentiments................

Unfortunately it's a case of if you don't work then you don't have a job, especially in the service industry.

And at between 150-200 bht a day in many cases then the need to work most days becomes even more obvious.

It ain't fair.

As an aside my wifes uncle runs a building firm. In one of his recent builds most of the labourers had less than 7 days off in the 6 months it took to complete!

Yes, it is exhausting, and no more productive in most cases. You need the two day weekend - one to rest and one to go out and do stuff like buying stuff, or playing sports and such. Many companies abandoned the practice years ago, but some cling on for some reason - they probably believe they are getting more work out of their staff. One company I worked at before gave us the Satuday off but had us work ten hours per day, five days a week, with an eight hour Friday. Nobody did more than eight hours per day of actual work - they paced themselves to ensure it worked out this way, or they'd have gotten burnt out.

i usually work 10 to 15 days straight. about 15 hours a day. then i'll get 3-4 days off. this is in canada. i've worked every stat holiday this year. as for time off, it's enough. if you're working, then you're not spending money. is there a light at the end of the tunnel. i suppose there is. i'll pay my bills save up. and maybe take a long vac. as for losing my job. lots of them out there.

Yes we are all getting burned out.

In Europe not that long ago - hours were the same.

My first jobs in the 1960's were 9 hours a day - 6 days a week.

However, then the economy picked up and exports started to grow, bringing in a better standard of living for most people. The 40 hour week became the norm.

However, there are still some people in Europe who do 6 days a week - 8 hours a day, and they are normally in the service industry.

Here in Thailand most of us are in the service industry. (Or farming.)

So the 48 - 70 hours a week is normal. I am sure that 30 - 50 years from now in Thailand and the rest of SE Asia - 40 hours a week will be more normal. Until then, we all have to do the hours, miss our families and not have holidays.

As you said "My Salary is quite good" and you have a job. Lots of people in SE Asia do not have this. Most would bite your arm off. So until the global market improves for everyone, JFDI.

(Thailand is still a great place to live.)

Edited by Tropicalevo

A 6 day work week seems to be the norm for many types of jobs in Thailand. Seems Sunday is the day the majority of people have off (unless in many service industry jobs)...and Sunday is the day when restaurants & movie theaters seem to be jammed with people/family outings. Definitely agree two days off a week can make getting personal/family things done a lot easier. But getting some things done "easy" in Thailand can't be done even if off 7 days a week.

Yes it not very fair in Thai- except Teachers feel 20 hrs is full time. Whilst many will argue they must prepare, etc, etc. I know many supposed FT teachers whom only work their 50 minutes x 20 classes- so really 17 odd hours.

On the other hand what about those poor souls in the heat all day 7 days pw at Markets, etc as they work for themselves.

Civil servants have it pretty easy lets face it- they get their jobs by giving to family members- all up that is 6.4 million Thais whom have decent hours and medical insurance, etc. Thailand coming along bit by bit- labour law wise.

How about the lucky Farangs whom can live and earn an income via computer in this information age? Those of us in this category should count ourselves very lucky indeed. Learn web work, stockbroking or an internet biz for extra income- maybe it will one day replace your day job income. Like some of us living here we have been able to work out a way to gain a side income that replaces our primary. Give it a shot- not that you have a huge amount of spare time. Yet you did suggest you do not need to be there 6 days pw- so instead of surfing the web- work and develop your skills in making a side income.

In terms of the most productive companies- I think some Aussie Mining companies have it worked out- many have 8 days ON 6 days OFF. However in Thailand that would be 12 days ON 2 days OFF unfortunately.

:jap:

Edited by jayinoz

Actually a number of my friends in Thailand only get two days off a month. I don't

know how they do it. I find even here in the US, I log into my computer at work on

weekends (no pay of course) but need to in order to keep up. But at least on the

weekends I do the work at my own leasure without disturbances. :blink:

Depends what job you do,

Hotels don't close so they have to have staff there 7 days a week.

Most shops are the same, small ones close 1 day a week.

Factory workers in UK work 48 hour weeks.

Schools close for 2 days a week.

Construction industry works 10 hours a day 6 days a week but sometimes 7 days.

The service industry in UK works 6 X 8 hours.

It's what you accept when you choose your particular career.

Yes it not very fair in Thai- except Teachers feel 20 hrs is full time. Whilst many will argue they must prepare, etc, etc. I know many supposed FT teachers whom only work their 50 minutes x 20 classes- so really 17 odd hours.

For a while I would have agreed with you.

I worked several years in the industry, with customers around the world and around the clock, never ending days and many cropped weekends. Teachers and their 20 hours really sounded like a bunch of lazy people.

Then, for a little while, I've been foreign teacher in Thailand... Your calculation seems mathematically correct but it does not reflect the amount of work done.

Yes, the teachers spend 17-20 hours in front of the students. But there's more to it than that, no?

What about class preparation? Checking homework, tests and exercises? Not to mention the maddening amount of useless paperwork Thai schools love to produce. In addition to that, a majority of thai schools require you to welcome parents and students every morning early and attend the endless morning ceremonies standing in the heat with your pants, shirt and tie.

When you're in a classroom with 30 students, you don't get a second of rest. And if you've been living in Thailand for a while, you'll easily imagine how thai schools can be noisy, thanks to teir beloved microphones and PA systems.

I'm now back in the corporate world, I probably work more than 40 hours a week, but believe me, I'm not physically exhausted like I was while being teacher.

Now I'll gladly admit there are many jobs worse than that. A few were mentionned in this thread.

But just remember that teachers are paid for 20hours, but they actually do more than that.

Yes I just think it is a lot as a general labour law. I get more vacation being a manager and feel bad for the rank and file staff, as they even get less holiday.

I was just wondering how others felt. I am not ungrateful but certainly think it is less productive then a 5 day work week.

Yes I just think it is a lot as a general labour law. I get more vacation being a manager and feel bad for the rank and file staff, as they even get less holiday.

I was just wondering how others felt. I am not ungrateful but certainly think it is less productive then a 5 day work week.

LAZY, comes to mind, the next thing will be complaining about wage, but as others posted 70hrs a week is normal for people who want to make enough money to enjoy a few of the nicer things in life. i may be way off base here but complaining about having a job and the hrs asked to work after you accept the job smacks me as a personal with liberal roots who also belives that life is fair. :o

NOt lazy. Just wondering how others felt about the Thai work week. Am I not allowed to like it without being "lazy"

I also feed badly for the Thai staff who have families, such as my boss, who has to stick her kid with a nanny 6 days a week. or the staff that drag their snotty nosed kids to work because they have to work on Saturday.

Or he staff that work in a more physical position. It was merely a discussion about the current labour laws and yes I find 6 days a bit excessive.

I turned down a fairly decent paying job here last year, one of the main reasons was the thought of working a 6 day week didnt appeal, though it did include 28 sick days a year (id never heard of such a thing) and 4 weeks holiday.

Now im working 28 days without a day off x 12 hours per day, but there is a nice 28 days off at then end of it.

These people must be less productive if overworked, though isnt pulling a sicky a national passtime here?

If you are happy in your job then it is not to bad having to work 6 days a week, but if your job sucks then it really must be hel_l. I work for myself and have to put in 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week, I dont mind because I can see things improving but I do miss seeing my boy though, but on the upside as its my business I take him along a couple of times a week.

I would not like to have to work 28 days on then get the same off, way to long to be away from my family no matter how much money.

I have always prefered to take two days off though, one to have a blow out and the other to relax!

Australia has a 38/40hour 5 day week, many people work longer hours eg 12 hours a day in remote areas (mining) or construction work 9 to 10 hours a day work Sat and Sundays and public holidays as required. For all hours over the normal 38/40 employees are paid overtime rates of pay. In some case they may by agreement take time off in lieu of pay.

Thailand generally has a 48 hour /6 day week but this can be 42 to 54 depending on the industry that one is employed in. Overtime payments are applicable.

One should not complain about a 48 hour 6 day week in Thailand. You are lucky that you have a job in Thailand. Do not expect the same level of pay and conditions as you would in your own country.

Our shop is opens 6 days a week and employees work 6 days a week, 8 hours per day (except only 6 hours on Saturday).

And guess what they do with their "time off" on Saturday afternoon and Sunday...go to work at another job such as working at a stall at the weekend market etc...

Got one employee who also drives his motorbike as a taxi in the evenings after work, and works at a market all weekend...not sure how he doesn't get burned out.

I turned down a fairly decent paying job here last year, one of the main reasons was the thought of working a 6 day week didnt appeal, though it did include 28 sick days a year (id never heard of such a thing) and 4 weeks holiday.

I wonder why they trimmed the sick leave, it should be 30 ??

If you are happy in your job then it is not to bad having to work 6 days a week, but if your job sucks then it really must be hel_l. I work for myself and have to put in 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week, I dont mind because I can see things improving but I do miss seeing my boy though, but on the upside as its my business I take him along a couple of times a week.

I would not like to have to work 28 days on then get the same off, way to long to be away from my family no matter how much money.

I have always prefered to take two days off though, one to have a blow out and the other to relax!

Having worked both sides of the fence so to speak, once you start working 28 swings, its very hard to go back to "normal" job hours, I do have occasion to work a few months every year on a 9 to 5 Monday to Friday and I hate it, give me the 28's any day

One should not complain about a 48 hour 6 day week in Thailand. You are lucky that you have a job in Thailand. Do not expect the same level of pay and conditions as you would in your own country.

No point in working here then is there?

I certainly wouldn't be working here if the pay and conditions were not better than in UK.

I am very fortunate that my current employer follows a very westernized work and benefits schedule. However, my KPIs are my KPIs. If I can do it in 20 hours, great, if it takes me 80 hours, too bad. I have worked many a Saturday, Sunday, late into the evening and at home, but that is the burden of management and making good money. To do that to run of the mill staff is just wrong and I am glad my company does not do it. We are five days a week with comp time if you need to work a weekend or a holiday.

In a related note, nothing infuriated me more than my ex-gf’s last company. The company made a bit much in the recruitment process of not having to work every Saturday, but on an on-call basis when needed (this appealed to her since she had to work every other Saturday at her current job. I actually told my GF to pass on the job, but she wanted the raise and the better work week. After about four months and being called in for Saturdays about five times, I finally realized that every time there was a Thai holiday during the week, the staff then had to work a Saturday, basically negating the Thai holiday calendar. What a load of garbage. At least they could have been upfront at hiring time. This was a pretty well known Japanese company too, and she was in the international marketing division – no real need to work on Saturday.

Our shop is opens 6 days a week and employees work 6 days a week, 8 hours per day (except only 6 hours on Saturday).

And guess what they do with their "time off" on Saturday afternoon and Sunday...go to work at another job such as working at a stall at the weekend market etc...

Got one employee who also drives his motorbike as a taxi in the evenings after work, and works at a market all weekend...not sure how he doesn't get burned out.

and instead of getting every hour possible out of your employees if they worked only 5 days a week they would have even more time to make extra money, don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Always complain and complain....When they have two days off,then they complain that they don't have money to do anything.

Be happy that you've work.cool.gif

Hello,

Someone, somewhere I need some informed advice. I work for a Christian International Kindergarten as a K3 teacher. I am trying to find out what the legal time scale is for sick and or compassionate leave a year for a teacher.

Please could you point me in the right direction.

Edited by jacdavb