Gold Snatced

wobblyjohn

Why anyone would wear gold in this country, especially Pattaya, is beyond me.

Why so many in this country can't keep their hands off anyone elses gold is behind me.

Work in a field or on a building site for 150-200 baht a day or steal a gold necklace from a wealthy farang (or thai). Its very easy to see why they do it.

I guess my wifes necklace which we bought for about 8K baht a few years ago, is valued at 18K baht now. On the 'black market' it probably is worth that as well. Unlike stealing motorbikes that are stripped down and sold as parts for a fraction of their value, I suspect gold can be sold at the market rate. Its easy to melt down, in fact when my wifes necklace was a bit worn a few years ago, we went to replace it. The guy bought the old necklace off us and melted it down in a 'spoon' in front of us then weighed the tiny ingot again to make sure it was real I guess. It took about 2 minutes.

A quick calculation suggests that at 200 baht a day a necklace worth 20K baht would be the equivalent of working 100 days - so a 'dodgy' Thai has the choice of 3 months working in a field or stealing a necklace.

I am surprised there are not more Thais stealing jewelry - come to think of it - there are :huh:

Edited by dsfbrit

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work in a field or on a building site for 150-200 baht a day or steal a gold necklace from a wealthy farang (or thai). Its very easy to see why they do it.

I guess my wifes necklace which we bought for about 8K baht a few years ago, is valued at 18K baht now. On the 'black market' it probably is worth that as well. Unlike stealing motorbikes that are stripped down and sold as parts for a fraction of their value, I suspect gold can be sold at the market rate. Its easy to melt down, in fact when my wifes necklace was a bit worn a few years ago, we went to replace it. The guy bought the old necklace off us and melted it down in a 'spoon' in front of us then weighed the tiny ingot again to make sure it was real I guess. It took about 2 minutes.

A quick calculation suggests that at 200 baht a day a necklace worth 20K baht would be the equivalent of working 100 days - so a 'dodgy' Thai has the choice of 3 months working in a field or stealing a necklace.

I am surprised there are not more Thais stealing jewelry - come to think of it - there are :huh:

I would think it is much more likely that the majority of thefts are carried out by young junkies full of yabba that have never done a days work in their life as opposed to someone who "works in a field or a building site".!

My advice,at gold now over $1330 an ounce,when you wear A 1 baht or higher gold chain your wearing an investment.

I wouldn't wear A gold chain in thailand or many places around the world.23k is just to expensive.

The average thai maybe makes around 12000 baht A month,maybe.And flaunting A 30000-60000 gold chain,your asking for trouble.Thats just my opinion

The problem is really that 23k gold can be instantly sold for cash.

Why anyone would wear gold in this country, especially Pattaya, is beyond me.

Why so many in this country can't keep their hands off anyone elses gold is behind me.

There is no "black market" for gold. They can walk into any gold shop with the snatched necklace and get full market value at anytime. 8K for a 1 baht gold necklace was more than a few years ago. I haven't seen it that low in the 5 years I've been here.

I would think it is much more likely that the majority of thefts are carried out by young junkies full of yabba that have never done a days work in their life as opposed to someone who "works in a field or a building site".!

Well I give you a green one for that Lenny. :header:

By the way now that we are at it,can't we have some kind of reputation system :whistling:

My advice,at gold now over $1330 an ounce,when you wear A 1 baht or higher gold chain your wearing an investment.

I wouldn't wear A gold chain in thailand or many places around the world.23k is just to expensive.

The average thai maybe makes around 12000 baht A month,maybe.And flaunting A 30000-60000 gold chain,your asking for trouble.Thats just my opinion

where did you get the idea the average Thai earns 12,000 BHT a month, no where near..:whistling:

The average female Thai go-go dancer.

Thats more like 50-100,000 a month

wow guys

just checked in for an update, and wot u know ( im not supised at all really) but the post from..cant actually remember who ( sounded italianish ) it was has gone, so mine and basjke reply are totally meaninglees in this light. i can hear you now that my posts are totally meanngless most of the time i know ...

but please put that the ramblings of a nutter...or word it a bit more elequently,have been deleted for whatever reason...being a nutter or whatever:ermm:

Why? You think it looks good? Makes you look wealthy?

Why would anyone wear anything to impress another? :whistling: You wear something because you like it full stop, not to put a show on for others. ;)

Sorry, but this does't make any sense. Jewelry is for show...unless you were superstitious and you needed to wear it for good luck.

It;s not just gold.

Earlier this year I was walking down Soi 13 i think it was and a thai guy on a scooter rode past and attempted to snatch my silver chain from around my neck. Fortunately he wasn't successful.

It was about 2am in the morning though and i had sank a few beers but i was with 3 other people so quite surprised he went for it.

^in your opinion mate - like I said Ms. Brit gave it to me w/amulet. I wear it because she bought it for me and I like it. I could give fk all what anyone else thinks. B)

I wouldn't expect you to "give fk all what anyone else thinks", but now we're getting a clearer picture of why you wear it....because it was given to you as a gift and it is expected that you wear it. It's lucky you think it looks ok and you like it then.B)

^because we like it! :jap:

Of course he thinks it looks good. Why else would someone where a necklace?

I wear mine (not thai gold) because i got it from my parents many years ago when i graduated. I don't really think about how it looks.. i just wear it because it was a gift. I am sure others wear gold too because it was a gift. I never take it off not even when i sleep. I would feel naked without it. It would be harder to snatch then Thai gold, and i wear it below my t-shirt most of the time.

Of course he thinks it looks good. Why else would someone where a necklace?

I wear mine (not thai gold) because i got it from my parents many years ago when i graduated. I don't really think about how it looks.. i just wear it because it was a gift. I am sure others wear gold too because it was a gift. I never take it off not even when i sleep. I would feel naked without it. It would be harder to snatch then Thai gold, and i wear it below my t-shirt most of the time.

I'm lucky that no one ever gave me a necklace that I had to wear.

Tis not just Gold that is being stolen ,now. I live in a rural community, and anything is fair game to be stolen. Rubber(kee yang), Cassava (mun sumpalung) are regularly hoisted ,now. When I first moved NOTHING was stolen, no theft. Now ,if it is not locked up, it will grow legs and walk. I even had children break into my house and steal things.Sadly,a very big attitudional change has occurred in Thai society.By the way, the rubber and cassava stolen, is Thai stealing from Thai.

I'm lucky that no one ever gave me a necklace that I had to wear.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact how well you are loved :D

its cos there geezas and say " orright mate " and shake hands a lot and you can hear their wrist gold jangling when they do--------------usually ex-east end car dealers-------now wot o mean mate cor blimey luvvaduck and chase me up fetter lane---------------thats an old one.

the proper ones will kiss you on the cheek even though you are a man------------means a good friend and nothing and i mean nothing wrong with the intention at all------------true and not to be mocked---------and thats what i call changing the subject good and proper ---------------right im off for a ruby murray

I'm more likely to get my gold nicked in Nottingham than Pattaya, the only differance is over here they like to stab you before they rip it off your neck.

I've said in previous posts I feel safer in Pattaya than Nottingham anyday. I wear gold because I like it and it was given to me as a gift. I dont think Pattaya is any differant or any worse than any other place for this sort of thing.

I'm not surprised that its farangs doing the robbery. Statistically I'm sure theres less muggings in Pattaya and Thailand than most western countries

Ta

Take a page from the buddhists. Lower your desire and craving and ego. I have my fine $8 USD watch from Wal Mart. Keeps marvelous time. I have not worn a ring since High School when one with my initials got stolen from my gym locker. Not to mention all the time I am working on my car or helping friends with projects. I understand jewelry and self expression, but I don't need it.

I do chuckle when every now and then one of the street girls will grope me and then see the crappy watch I have on. Cheap Charlie for sure. Well, no, not for important things. Wear no name clothing. Don't dress like a bum, many Thais appreciate some decency. But Tommy Hilfiger, and up types of things can tag you as a potential target. I would also not recommend those really over used flip flops. Not much good for running or in a fight. There are plenty of well breathing types of sandals, sport walkers etc. that can save you in a pinch if you have to move quickly.

Sad to even write like this in a country I have visited 10 times and love dearly, but it is cheap insurance.

Can't wait to get back for a 30 day holiday

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me Thursday night,

On my scooter, followed by two bikes

nearly home, 1 bike starts buzzing me on the inside really close, as I slow down for sleeping policeman he almost touches me saying sorry sorry as I look at him

then 2nd bike grabs chain round neck and rides off.

Tiny chain, not worth much and surprised they could even see it!

Buddha pendant (inside shirt and unseen) fell on ground and they only got a handful of chain again rest fell on ground.

Fortunate that neither I nor g/f on back hurt.

Sign of the times with gold the price it is I guess

ta ta

Richard

Even though none of us actually wear gold to show we have money to buy it, or we look cool, haha, the fact is, if you have gold or any other obviously looking wealth, you are a Target. Maybe you havent been hit yet, but you have been a target, but circumstances have prevented the perp from carrying out his plans. It doesnt help if you are 6 ft, and have certificates on your wall of the judo classes you have attended, you are still a target. When someone is on yaba or just feel desperate, then they will get you. Not only will you lose your gold, but in the process, may lose your life or at least be injured. What good is fake gold if someone stabs you or knocks your bike over to get it? The question is really, "Do you want to make yourself a target". My ex Thai wife liked to wear her gold too, so she was always nervous when we went somewhere, and couldnt relax. Because of too much jewelry, you are quite limited as to where you can go, or you just go where you want, and someday, you will find out that you were an easy mark.

Risks in anything you do, personally I will wear my necklace with pride anything else is not living. I will be dam_n sure to make anyone who tries it on me - the wost mistake of their life. :fight:

You can think tough, but the reality is somewhat different.

How would you catch some Thais on a motorcycle? How would you catch some young nimble Thais on foot?

Once in the Philippines I had a cellphone snatched while I was talking on it. I ran after him. He pulled a gun. Get the idea.

If it actually happened, in most cases I doubt you'd be able to do anything and it would be better to just let it go.