Don'T Call Yourself Khun

saraburioz

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Thais I know hardly ever use pronouns in their regular speech. They refer to themselves by name. My wife and her family all call me Khun Paul. So, following their model, that's how I refer to myself when speaking with them. In fact, at first I felt self-conscious but my wife assured me it sounded completely normal to her and her family. I would never answer the phone that way, but I think a blanket statement like the OP's is a little off.

Out of interest are you speaking Thai or English with them?

I speak Thai about half the time with my wife, and all the time with most of the family. When speaking English with my wife and her one cousin who can, I use English pronouns as I would with any other English speaker.

As for whether it's proper to refer to yourself as khun or ajarn, I follow what I see from the Thais I know. When I was teaching at a university, if a Thai teacher wanted to refer to him or herself when speaking with a student, it would either be as "Ajarn" followed by their name, or simply "Ajarn". With a friend or acquaintance outside the univeristy, of course it would be different.

In my opinion, the social implications of Thai forms of address are much more subtle than those of English. What seems awkward or artificial in one situation might be normal in another. I agree that calling my self khun or ajarn with a stranger or a friend would be silly, but in other situations if it's good enough for Thais it's good enough for me, regardless of what another foreigner thinks.

In the Philippines it is normal to address people by their work or profession.

A lawyer "Mike" for instance is addressed in greeting and introduction as "Attorney Mike".

And he would answer the phone that way too.

All the guys with sawn off shot guns in shop fronts are addressed simply as "guard" with no name added.

Kenny

Unable to give you a greenie these days, but have one any way.

Agree 100%.

Its the same as these bell ends when asked their names always reply Khun Bob

I have never heard a Thai refer to themself as khun when asked their name.

The guys up the road never refer to themselves as motorcy win Somchai, or chang Noy.

What I love about living here is nothing is so important that I have to answer the phone! Its like not getting mail. another bonus!

If I can be @rsed to answer the phone (and that means it's someone I know AND want to talk to - that narrows the field, let me tell you!) I use " hello ". If I have to say my name when answering my own personal phone, then the caller must be some random eeejot!! Why would I want to talk to them? :huh:

As for refering to yourself in the third person. I think in marks you out instantly as a merchant banker!

"Mr Loz will be at the theatre this evning, if you should care to join him" - sounds like the sort of poncy statement that would get you a back-handed slap across the chops by any normal person. :ermm:

In the Philippines it is normal to address people by their work or profession.

A lawyer "Mike" for instance is addressed in greeting and introduction as "Attorney Mike".

And he would answer the phone that way too.

All the guys with sawn off shot guns in shop fronts are addressed simply as "guard" with no name added.

Kenny

l think l would call the guard, Sir !!

Pretentious. I have heard such use of titles by people I assume wish to ingratiate themselves with the locals and appear as if they have been here for quite a while. It has the opposite effect though, they mark themselves out as being fresh off the boat and knowing naff all. Poorly worded but I am sure you get the drift.

Like Loz, I just answer the phone with a "Hello?" That gives me the option of listening to the other person and deciding on how I want to respond. It can get a little funny if it is a wrong number. You hear something like this....

Chan kor pood gap khun Ning dy my? Ka

At that point you can have a little fun. Or, you both start saying "Hello?" back and forth until someone hangs up.

Occasionally, I'll get some SPAM sales person. At that point I go into some phoney foregn language which confuses the sales person.

Yes, Sir! :whistling:

Does it really matter?

Some people are stuck with this stuff, some just want to be polite, no matter what one will remain what ever he/she is, not matter what title!

Yes it matters. You look a complete tw4t if you refer to yourself as "Khun".

I only say Hello when anserwing the phone, and normal they say hello back, so I have to hello again, we go on like that a few times until I shout can you hear meeeeeeeeeee! :blink:

at that point they usually hang up! :D

Or it goes Hello, THey day Hello and start talking so I have to stop them and ask if they speak English to which I only hear beep Beep Beep Beep :lol:

Edited by onnut

And if we were in the US or UK or Oz, would we think that it was weird if a Thai there called themselves by name? Yes, so you would politely tell them the proper way. But we aren't there, we are in Thailand where the proper way is you use your own name. So do it like the Thais do, because you are in Thailand, and when you are somewhere else, use the proper speech there. Why do some people think that it is ok to come to a foreign land and culture and try to force their own customs on others? If you speak Thai, speak it properly. If you speak English, speak it properly. I am with cm das on this one.