One-year-old Thai babies required to have ID card

webfact

House passes 1st reading of bill to require one-year-old babies to have ID card

By The Nation

The House of Representatives Wednesday passed the first reading of a bill to require one-year-old babies to have identification card.

The bill proposed by the Interior Minister would lower the requirement age for carrying identification card from 15 to one year.

Following over one hour of debate, the bill was approved with 222 to 81 votes with 5 MPs abstaining. Thirteen other MPs were present but they did not cast any type of vote.

The House set up a 25-member panel to vet the bill in seven days.

If approved the bill would require Thai citizens to have ID cards from one year to 60 years old.

During the debate, several MPs voiced concern that criminals would make fake ID cards using young chidlren's name.

Some MPs also voiced concern that the fee for making the first ID card, which was stated in the bill of Bt500 could be too high.

Deputy Interior Minister Boonjong Wongtrairat said the fee was set as the maximum rate but the Interior Minister could later issue directive to set lower fee rate.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-07

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So all the little Somchais and Alunwans will be carrying their id cards to school and wherever else they go.

I think alot of mums and dads are going to be paying out for lost cards somehow.

I wonder what the thinking is behind making young kids carry id?

Are the people in charge really that paranoid?

So all the little Somchais and Alunwans will be carrying their id cards to school and wherever else they go.

I think alot of mums and dads are going to be paying out for lost cards somehow.

Let the children play..( with ID cards instead of these fancy cards)

"Deputy Interior Minister Boonjong Wongtrairat said the fee was set as the maximum rate but the Interior Minister could later issue directive to set lower fee rate."

Could, but probably won't set a lower fee. The Interior Minister will probably just say the law says 500 baht so that is what must be charged.

Wait for them to issue an edict that they must be renewed every 3 or 5 years, and much like us farangs moaning about visas, the Thai's themselves will be actively paying regularly to "remain" Thai.

I presume that 'little Somchai' will be compelled to produce it at police stops and the such. Where will he keep it?

I still can't see what benefit this is going to have whatsoever, and all very insidious.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Insane

I agree, it is insane! What is the reasoning? Other than the 500 Baht the government will get? The existing law at 15 years old seems a little young even to have to carry an ID card... But once you are 60, you don't have to carry an ID card. Some real thinkers running this country!

My daughter went in in June and has yet to have her real ID card issued. They said they were out of money so she was sent home with a temporary card. The longer it goes the more comical this country becomes. Someone (thai people) need to really review what they have voted into running this place and how they spend their time. A ear implant may be more long lasting or may a tattoo as this seems popular to many.

Well it does stop the little kids having millions of Baht debt due to criminals using those kids names to issue fake ID cards to obtain loans and credit cards.

No they will use those people over 60 who apparently will not have to have one???? I thought that the ID was too be used instead of the medical card for medical care.

If they cannot come up with a quantity of cards to cover those reaching their 15th birthday, which are recorded in the school systems???? How will they ever hope to project the number of births and have that number on hand, 1 year later?

Next they will be required to tattoo their ID number on their forehead because they little suckers can't carry the bloody things. Krung Thai.... what stupidity.

Have a look at the shelves of Tesco Lotus. I think Mamapoko pampers come with a little pocket for the ID.

I am eagerly awaiting this lunacy to pass into law -

then to watch all the law abiding parents in my village (some mothers as young as 15) going to the trouble of eagerly joining the queue at the amphur to comply - and willingly parting with 500 Baht for the privilege. That's two days factory pay for those who are fortunate enough to have employment.

Many families around here can just about eke out the days existence - let alone find this enormous sum (for them) for something they don't want - don't need, and will lose anyway.

Oh dear. Another own goal for this caring, all embracing government so eager to see national reconciliation.

Rural Poor 1. Government 0.

Still - while the 'boss' is away on another one of his globetrotting junkets, the boys at home must keep up the appearance they are running the country. :lol:

where does it say they have to carry it? they just need to have one for identification.

if thats what the govt wants to do, who cares? i think i can afford 500baht to get my kid a card.

there's bigger sh!t to worry about.

where does it say they have to carry it? they just need to have one for identification.

if thats what the govt wants to do, who cares? i think i can afford 500baht to get my kid a card.

Maybe you can afford it but as already clearly stated in the poorer sectors - the majority of Thailand - they can't. And they are the ones who are the breeders. Don't rub their noses in it by stating your social status and apparent wealth. A little understanding and empathy goes a long way! dry.gif

Have a look at the shelves of Tesco Lotus. I think Mamapoko pampers come with a little pocket for the ID.

LOL! My GF and I got a big laugh out of your post! Good one!

As a Thai you must get a new ID card every five years, so just another tax on the poor... Pretty pathetic!

Edited by Jimi007

Quote "The bill proposed by the Interior Minister would lower the requirement age for carrying identification card from 15 to one year."

Quote "The bill proposed by the Interior Minister would lower the requirement age for carrying identification card from 15 to one year."

Some people do seem to like making an idiot of themselves by not reading the OP and then having no idea that for many rural poor 500 bht is more than 3 days pay.