The Have And Have Not'S

kenny999

I see a Harly riding guy at tesco sometimes. He wears leather pants and waistcoat and his blonde hair is like a cross between a mohawk and a pompadour. He struts around the store like he has a stick up his butt. (possibly a bad back?)

I can't help but smile everytime I see him.

(Hope it's not one of you guys :o )

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been in Thailand for the best part of 23 years, the first 7 or 8 i spent most of my time in Phuket, [in those days it was great] but the point to my comment is you never tell anyone what you have or what your worth, and lets face it, who wants some fxck hanging around for free peanuts, nope anybody i meet, especially Thai is led to believe that i live month to month with just enough to live on,

Good point! That's why I have a good old car, and old motorbikes. I don't need a target on my back in LOS!

Ditto.. Low public profile helps.. The amount of daily 'charity collectors' that came to my old villa was just silly..

I do like my home to be comfy tho, well digitally connected, good media setup, nice sounds.. All private things for my own use.

I have been in Thailand for the best part of 23 years, the first 7 or 8 i spent most of my time in Phuket, [in those days it was great] but the point to my comment is you never tell anyone what you have or what your worth, and lets face it, who wants some fxck hanging around for free peanuts, nope anybody i meet, especially Thai is led to believe that i live month to month with just enough to live on,

Good point! That's why I have a good old car, and old motorbikes. I don't need a target on my back in LOS!

Guys

I have never had a problem with Thais about my cars or bikes, all say nice car, bike, the problem i have is with farangs, go figure :)

For me its also about maintaining those nice things.. Nice exotic bike ?? Try getting it serviced.. Non run of the mill car ?? Same.. Plus add dings and damage where people dont respect it.. Coming back finding someone sat on you bike twisting the throttle playing broom brooom fantasy's..

Just easier to let it go..

2. Some people who own Harleys seem to have scrimped on the cost of the silencer on their piece of American junk. I develop a great big grin when the riders who can't afford silencers have to give the throttle a couple of blibs before turning off the bike. What is that for? Does it clear the fuel from the carburettor? Or, is it an "I'm a dick indicator"?

ha ha.. Well put..

Even as a rider, I think we all know a few of those..

Where do you come up with your figures from

EXAMPLE 7000000 AUD will give you a return invested safely in Australia with no risks of 400000 AUD annually.

Properly managed money makes money

How do you hedge AUD currency risk ??

I have done >30% per annum for the last 5 years straight.. On course to do only about 15 - 18 so far this year (depending on what currency you baseline it in), but have radically reduced my risk profile to take profit off the table.. So agree totally that properly managed money makes money.

Here's a very rich guy in Australia who doesn't put on the airs and graces:

Living like a boganaire

October 10, 2010

post-18822-044268600 1286681522_thumb.jp

The good life ... electrician-turned-tycoon Nathan Tinkler's interests include Patinack racing stable, Dick Johnson Racing team, the Newcastle Jets football team and Andrew Johns's former home.

IT'S THE ultimate meeting for rev-heads, a tribal gathering for those who deck themselves in Holden red or the blue of Ford. And somewhere in the throng on Bathurst's Mount Panorama today is expected to be former electrician Nathan Tinkler.

It is doubtful many would pick Mr Tinkler in a crowd of knockabout Aussies enjoying the race over a cold drink and takeaway food.

His favourite pursuits may not set him apart but his fortune does.

Last week Mr Tinkler bought half of Australia's most famous V8 team, Dick Johnson Racing. He also owns his home-town's A-League football club and lords over a horse-racing empire and growing property portfolio - not to mention mining interests that have made him the wealthiest Australian under 40.

Worth $600 million according to BRW magazine, all his riches have been made within four years.

''He's very good at what he does in the coalmining business, one of the smartest blokes I know in that area,'' media magnate and fellow racing fanatic John Singleton said.

''I like the bloke - he's good fun and all the business we've done has been mutually beneficial. He's more likely to stay in with his mates with a beer than stand in some art gallery sipping wine but I can relate to that.''

Mr Tinkler, who claims his sole qualification is a ''sparkie'' ticket from TAFE, began as an electrician in the Hunter Valley coalmines. His big break came in 2006, when he borrowed $500,000 to buy a mine in which others saw no potential. He lobbied Asian investors for the balance, some $29.5 million. Within 13 months he sold his company for $275 million.

This year he floated another firm, earning himself another fortune.

Business observers believe he could have been cast from a similar mould to Kerry Packer. His bank balance may not yet be on par but he has a temper and turn of phrase that would have made the late tycoon proud. Mr Tinkler seems to have invested little in media training. Indeed, he prefers to issue statements rather than talk directly to journalists. When The Sun-Herald called to ask about his Bathurst chances, Mr Tinkler remembered this reporter from a previous story about equine dealings: ''You're a f---ing deadbeat. People like me don't bother with f---ing you. You climb out of your bed every morning for your pathetic hundred grand a year - good luck.''

He then made a remark about how this reporter was conceived, adding: ''There's a tall poppy syndrome: you would have heard of that because you hang around with the deadbeats and the losers who have done nothing with their lives.''

Long-time mates of Mr Tinkler call him ''every bit a normal country boy''. Highfalutin types on the wrong end of his business acumen regard him as a ''boofhead''. Many in Newcastle hail him as a saviour after he bought the Jets soccer team and pumped money into rugby league team the Knights. He has also supported world champion discus thrower Dani Samuels.

Mr Tinkler boasts a host of beachfront homes around Newcastle, including league star Andrew Johns's former mansion in Merewether, bought for $4.3 million. There are also homes in Brisbane and the Hunter Valley and a fleet of luxury cars.

Edited by Old Croc

I see a Harly riding guy at tesco sometimes. He wears leather pants and waistcoat and his blonde hair is like a cross between a mohawk and a pompadour. He struts around the store like he has a stick up his butt. (possibly a bad back?)

He, never seen him would like to see him, i dont wear leather, not even on long trips,to dam_n hot

With 7 million and a return of 400,000 it works out at 5.7%

Westpac bank are offering 6.75% on accounts greater than 100k.

Here you go.

http://www.ratedetec...ccounts/compare

Nice, thanks.

Funny story, I invested in a 1 week money market account with a bank and the return for the week was .000194, .or 0188 per annum. I'll do better in an unrented shophouse in Koh Sirey!

He, never seen him would like to see him, i dont wear leather, not even on long trips,to dam_n hot

Think I have seen him a real rocker

It's not in Oz, but I have just got a 6% rate on AUD using Citibank IPB in Singapore. No other currency gets near that sort of rate, No wonder it's so strong at the moment.

And therin lies the rub.. Piling in at the top is all too common.

Certainly not risk free.

>>Ditto.. Low public profile helps.

That, or go big enough and you don't get bothered.

Surely why the bigger spenders do shut themselves into the private villa estates etc..

Its not all about elitism, theres an insulation from issues too.

Think I have seen him a real rocker

I've met him a couple of times in some bars in Rawai.

He is British, in his early forties and well off.

I have heard that the Harley is his first ever bike and he did tip it over once when learning to ride it.

He's definitely a bit of a poseur (the mutton dressed as lamb look), but, if you can get past that, he's actually a very nice, well-spoken guy.

>>But I get your point, if you mean people with 10 mil plus USD.. The kind of proper wealth.. I only know one guy here with that kind of uber cash..

Really, is that uber cash for a total net worth? I always told family and friends that to retire properly and do whatever you want, 20 million USD was minimum. I now would think on the world stage with the USD as it as and the average interest rates paid by banks or "safe" investments, that this is not enough for a " what do I want to do" lifestyle.

Back to my yugo, but it's not a samlor!.

Where do you come up with your figures from

EXAMPLE 7000000 AUD will give you a return invested safely in Australia with no risks of 400000 AUD annually.

Properly managed money makes money

I knew someone many years ago who won 3000000 AUD in Lotto, in those days a LOT of money

I just over three years it was all gone and they had to go back to work

Obviously not in the outback of OZ.. 7 million gets a foreigner a safe return of 400K per year huh? I wonder why everyone around the world isn't lumping their cash into OZ banks if the returns after taxes are that good for foreigners. Please give us the banking details on where foreigners can open up an account and get this return on their investment post taxes.

Did i say just banks although it is easy to get a 6% return on your money from a bank if you have enough in the account

In fact NAB is offering for new accounts 6% for the first 4 months and you can open the account with1 AUD it then

drops to 4%

I am an Australian and i know what rules apply to me, with foreigners i would not have a clue and don't care

I never said investing in banks i said properly invested and there are ways in Australia to invest money and

have your tax paid for you and its legal.

Return means interest, dividends and capitol gains.

Don't try to misquote me you are not very good at it.

>>Return means interest, dividends and capitol gains.

Thanks for clearing that up, although you didn't as I was inquiring as a foreigner which you readily agree you have no clue. I believe the Capitol is in Washington DC, not an investment tool.

Seriously, there are many people parked in cash that would love to get the safe ROI you are quoting. Perhaps you missed your calling and should in actuality be a "financial advisor" and take a point or two.

What happens when/if the AUD and it's related investments in OZ devalue? Is it still a "safe" investment?

Thanks for clearing that up, although you didn't as I was inquiring as a foreigner which you readily agree you have no clue. I believe the Capitol is in Washington DC, not an investment tool.

Seriously, there are many people parked in cash that would love to get the safe ROI you are quoting. Perhaps you missed your calling and should in actuality be a "financial advisor" and take a point or two.

What happens when/if the AUD and it's related investments in OZ devalue? Is it still a "safe" investment?

AUD is presently one of the last currencies I would choose for my savings. Three to one year ago, rather safe. Today, timebomb.

Another spelling expert i see, who cares.

For your information since you do not seem to know, Australia NEVER went into recession recently

Australia did not bail out the banks or just start printing currency, i am sure if you are up to date you

will know where this was done,

Keep doing that and the country will end up like Zimbabwe where a loaf of bread costs a million of

there Dollars/Pounds and all its good for is toilet paper.

The only way the Australian dollar would devalue in my opinion is if the recession doubt dips and then

All currency's will be worth less like they still are against the Thai Baht

The Australian Dollars exchange rate is improving all the time against the Thai Baht, Can you say the

same thing about your own Foreign currency, I doubt it

Was it you who mentioned 20M dollars or some one else as the amount you need to retire on, seems

to me you do not have much faith in your foreign investments if you have any.

I am happy with the way i run my affairs and know how to get the best returns on my investments and

will always have a difference of opinion if in my opinion a person is talking CODSWALLOP

I do not give investment advice except to friends if they ask me my opinion

>>Another spelling expert i see, who cares.

Actually educated people care, but as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss.

Back to investment advice, I certainly would never listen to anyone who only has 5 to 10 million baht to invest in a housing estate property. Certainly anyone successful in their career in their 60's can afford more than that, whether it's their primary residence or their 5th house.

Time for me to go grab a 25 baht noodle soup in my yugo, if I can scrape up 50 baht to put some gasohol 91 in the tank.

>>Another spelling expert i see, who cares.

Actually educated people care, but as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss.

Back to investment advice, I certainly would never listen to anyone who only has 5 to 10 million baht to invest in a housing estate property. Certainly anyone successful in their career in their 60's can afford more than that, whether it's their primary residence or their 5th house.

Time for me to go grab a 25 baht noodle soup in my yugo, if I can scrape up 50 baht to put some gasohol 91 in the tank.

When did i say i Only had 5 to 10M to invest, I could invest more but i cannot legally own land in Thailand

I would invest a lot more if i could own land legally in my own name

Where is your home country, Its not Thailand unless you are a Thai citizen/National you are just a guest

Let me know where you come from then i will explain to you why the currency of that country has such

a bad exchange rate against the Thai Baht, Thailand is another country that did not go into deep recession

You are highly educated are you in what

>>When did i say i Only had 5 to 10M to invest, I could invest more but i cannot legally own land in Thailand

I have no set budget but am currently thinking in the 5 to 10m range

I would like information from ordinary people not estate agents

The above post ring a bell?

>>You are highly educated are you in what

In English for a start. Might want to check your punctuation before you hit that post button. A question mark is always good to put at the end of a written question.

Also have I misunderstood that you don't have a Thai wife/partner that can buy land legally and then she can give you a usefruct back?

AUD is presently one of the last currencies I would choose for my savings. Three to one year ago, rather safe. Today, timebomb.

I dont know about timebomb.. But its close, not low risk for the return.. As I said in a different thread AUD is all about China.. Commodity currency and carry trade play.

Bloody hel_l calm down everyone this was supposed to be a light hearted thread!!

Kenny, you seem to be take the forum stuff too serious..

Its hard with the written word to see whats written with spite or not.. Often half of its just gentle wind ups.. The other half, well just let it slide off :)

Enjoy.

Bloody hel_l calm down everyone this was supposed to be a light hearted thread!!

Kenny, you seem to be take the forum stuff too serious..

Its hard with the written word to see whats written with spite or not.. Often half of its just gentle wind ups.. The other half, well just let it slide off :)

Enjoy.

Agreed, half wind up, half debate on a cloudy day when it's too early to hit the beach.

For your information since you do not seem to know, Australia NEVER went into recession recently

Australia did not bail out the banks or just start printing currency, i am sure if you are up to date you

Keep doing that and the country will end up like Zimbabwe where a loaf of bread costs a million of

I actually have a bunch of trillion zim notes in my desk to give as novelties.. Not everyday some one hands you a legit trillion dollars. :)

The only way the Australian dollar would devalue in my opinion is if the recession doubt dips and then

As said before.. The exchange rate differential and the chinese buying Oz commodities are the drivers.. If the chinese sneeze the AUD will catch a cold.

The Australian Dollars exchange rate is improving all the time against the Thai Baht, Can you say the

I have been a long and loud proponent to own hard money.. So yes in gold (and I bet the farm on silver back at 12 less than 2 years ago) yes my hard money has risen against both the baht and AUD. I usually hold very little fiat currency but have in the last month moved back to some (expecting an autumn crash or at least and increasing possibility of one).

You only have to look at the AUDs fall last round of current credit crises when from July 15th 08 it went from .9778 USD to just 3 months or so later when on Oct 27th it was worth 0.6066 USD.. A 33% drop in about 100 days !!

Its right back at about the exact same levels so very much a case of history doesnt always repeat, but it often rhymes.

I actually have a bunch of trillion zim notes in my desk to give as novelties.. Not everyday some one hands you a legit trillion dollars. :)

As said before.. The exchange rate differential and the chinese buying Oz commodities are the drivers.. If the chinese sneeze the AUD will catch a cold.

I have been a long and loud proponent to own hard money.. So yes in gold (and I bet the farm on silver back at 12 less than 2 years ago) yes my hard money has risen against both the baht and AUD. I usually hold very little fiat currency but have in the last month moved back to some (expecting an autumn crash or at least and increasing possibility of one).

You only have to look at the AUDs fall last round of current credit crises when from July 15th 08 it went from .9778 USD to just 3 months or so later when on Oct 27th it was worth 0.6066 USD.. A 33% drop in about 100 days !!

Its right back at about the exact same levels so very much a case of history doesnt always repeat, but it often rhymes.

hmm, indepth analyses of a currency in TV

When a currency yields much higher interest than average, in AUD case 2-5 times, its a signal of desperate government trying to reduce domestic spendings. This attracts carry traders, borrowing funds in currencys where government try to increase domestic spending. When, not if, the bubble cracks, drops of 20-40% are not unusual. AUD is probably OTT, and less yielding currencies are likely to be safer.

>>When did i say i Only had 5 to 10M to invest, I could invest more but i cannot legally own land in Thailand

I have no set budget but am currently thinking in the 5 to 10m range

I would like information from ordinary people not estate agents

The above post ring a bell?

>>You are highly educated are you in what

In English for a start. Might want to check your punctuation before you hit that post button. A question mark is always good to put at the end of a written question.

Also have I misunderstood that you don't have a Thai wife/partner that can buy land legally and then she can give you a usefruct back?

I would love to debate with you face to face

I said THINKING or cant you read, and i believe i can purchase what i want in that price range from a owner that

really wants to sell, not a dreamer, if not i may be willing to pay more

I ask the question again highly educated in what also employed in what

Being none Thai and being and highly educated in English will get you a job as a English teacher and you would only be able to afford a bowl of noodles

I do not invest or deal in money but i do keep most the money i have in bank accounts in my

Australian bank where does and has for a long time paid a lot better interest than elsewhere

I agree that Australia main income is from the export of commodities, iron ore, coal, natural gas

Bauxite,gold,silver,zinc, Diamonds, sapphires,wheat,wool, wood chips,livestock etc etc

The main country's exported to are China, Japan, Korea and other Asian country's.

If these country's economy's collapse there not be a recession by a deep recession

hopefully not as bad as the one in the 1930s

The worst effected country's if this happens are the country's already with financial problems

still trying to get out of them.

I was talking to a UK citizen recently who was on holidays he told me where he lives he pays

very high rates and taxes to the government also the water and electricity supply is owned by

overseas companies and can only see things getting worse

>>Being none Thai and being and highly educated in English will get you a job as a English teacher and you would only be able to afford a bowl of noodles

What does being none Thai mean? Why not address the issue of buying in your Thai wife/partner's name?

You're right, I'm a French citizen teaching English. That bowl of noodles sure tasted good though.

FYI, my electric bill is more than your rent, but I'm sure it's because all of the hongs next to me know I'm one of the "haves".

I'd love to debate with you pc, but the problem is you don't debate, only accuse and inflame, then deflect questions when you're wrong or don't have the answer. Nothing wrong with being an ex blue collar politician!

>>I ask the question again highly educated in what also employed in what

Are you kidding? I retired years ago in my 30's and now just teaching English and eating noodles, when I can afford them :).