Why I Don'T Teach My Gf English

mark45y

I am sure GH has never done anything with mixed emotions. He seems like a black and white guy to me. Sort of a let the buyer beware salesman type.

I had mixed emotions daily, every day during 1968 and 1969 and 1970. Some days I would feel adventurous and want to tour the strange side streets lining Saigon and write short stories. Other days I just wanted to hug the ground and shut out the noise of explosions.

Some nights in Pattaya I wanted to explore the area around the VC hotel and ask the Middle Eastern people questions. Other times when women chased me with cleavers I wanted to go home and watch old people pick up sea shells on the Florida coast.

A lot of times when I get insulted I don't know it. Today I learned how to say erection in Lao. I don't know how I have existed in Thailand for six years not knowing that.

I was shocked when I got drafted. It was a total surprise. I was afraid. Because of Butch I was afraid of Vietnam.

I went to work the day after I got the draft notice to tell my boss. He told me he would transfer me to the Bendix aerospace division of our company so I could get a critical skills deferment. I told him I was an American and felt obligated to serve my country when it called. He was an ex marine from WW II and was very impressed. So I could have gotten out of it but I didn't. But that doesn't alter the fact that a year before I had fled the country to Canada and lived and worked there for a year to avoid the draft. I was legal in Canada I could have stayed or gone back. No desertion as long as I left before I was sworn in. So did I avoid the draft or not? What is the truth? Detroit is a stones throw from Canada. A swim across a river.

GH has insulted me a lot. So I am used to it. Sometimes I don't understand exactly what he says but I assume it is an insult. I guess it is all part of the grand design. When I say my prayers every night Guesthouse is in them. I say, “Lord please make me a better person tomorrow than today and help me to be a good person and not like Guesthouse.”

It is also a contradiction that I am an atheist and say prayers every night. I can't explain it. It's just what I do.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, would you refer to your GF as a GF or your maid? and then what would the difference be?

When she is angry she says, "I am just a maid."

Most of the time she thinks of herself as my GF.

Yesterday, she asked if I wanted her to peel a pineapple I had purchased at the store. Thinking about this thread I said, "up to you."

She said in Thai, "Why are you talking like a Falang, what is this "up to you" stuff. You speak Thai - so speak Thai."

Me, "Dom jai khun."

Her, "Dee Dee.

Well you didn't really answer the question did you.

How do you perceive the role of your GF?

Edited by monkfish

Just wondering, would you refer to your GF as a GF or your maid? and then what would the difference be?

Yesterday, she asked if I wanted her to peel a pineapple I had purchased at the store. Thinking about this thread I said, "up to you."

She said in Thai, "Why are you talking like a Falang, what is this "up to you" stuff. You speak Thai - so speak Thai."

Me, "Dom jai khun."

Her, "Dee Dee.

She thinks she is a wife. I feel a combination between maid, friend and lover. The longer we stay together the more I care for her. Which is a pleasant change from my previous relationships where absence made my heart grow fonder and familiarity bred contempt.

There's no contradiction in being drafted for war AND deciding to go to war based on the tails of war-going heroes. There is still a decision required by the agent in question (in this case the OP), regardless of whether or not he was drafted.

Edited by OxfordWill

I didn't join the Army I got drafted. That means if I didn't serve I would have ended up in a Federal Penitentiary. I believe there was a draft in England during WW I. Austro-Hungary declared war on England. And thus started WWI.

I don't get your reference to Thai people. Are you saying you are Thai? Or that I am impolite to Thai people?

I do write fiction. But I have not written any here. I would tell you if I did.

I am happy that you have a partner that you love.

Have you really ever chopped up anyone with a machete?

You have only lived in the country for a few months and you can read and write Thai? I am impressed.

I am also impressed with your earnings as a teacher as only last week you posted. "The other thing is that I have applied for jobs teaching and next week I have 4 interviews at various places."

I'll give you the same advice I would give any young man who wanted to teach in Thailand. Go back to England get a degree and certification, teach for a couple of years and then come back to Thailand. Good luck.

Yes there was a draft in WW1 and WW2, I didn't realise there was during the Vietnam war, sorry.

I'm saying I haven't noticed so much of this politeness of which you talk, and there's a lot of bitching about Thais that goes on here, this was not direct at you although maybe it applies. Why would you think I'm trying to say I'm Thai?

No I've never chopped anyone up! I always walk away from a fight if possible, and very, very rarely start them. I was taking the piss.

Yes I can read Thai, my writing is not the best but Thais can understand what I'm trying to say.

You're impressed, but you're trying to say I'm lying. I didn't really want to mention the fact that I've been working illegally since I got here in that thread, because that's not what I wanted advise about. I work various different part-time jobs, the 4 interviews were for full-time jobs which can hopefully see me acquire a work permit and 1 year visa. One company in Huahin is going to do there best to get me working legally. Thanks for your advise, but a degree is not important to me I do just fine without qualifications, and as many people like to say, "This is Thailand, anything is possible!"

Me, "Dom jai khun."

Her, "Dee Dee.

She thinks she is a wife. I feel a combination between maid, friend and lover. The longer we stay together the more I care for her. Which is a pleasant change from my previous relationships where absence made my heart grow fonder and familiarity bred contempt.

I can relate to that!

I didn't join the Army I got drafted. That means if I didn't serve I would have ended up in a Federal Penitentiary. I believe there was a draft in England during WW I. Austro-Hungary declared war on England. And thus started WWI.

I don't get your reference to Thai people. Are you saying you are Thai? Or that I am impolite to Thai people?

You have only lived in the country for a few months and you can read and write Thai? I am impressed.

I am also impressed with your earnings as a teacher as only last week you posted. "The other thing is that I have applied for jobs teaching and next week I have 4 interviews at various places."

I'll give you the same advice I would give any young man who wanted to teach in Thailand. Go back to England get a degree and certification, teach for a couple of years and then come back to Thailand. Good luck.

Yes there was a draft in WW1 and WW2, I didn't realise there was during the Vietnam war, sorry.

I'm saying I haven't noticed so much of this politeness of which you talk, and there's a lot of bitching about Thais that goes on here, this was not direct at you although maybe it applies. Why would you think I'm trying to say I'm Thai?

No I've never chopped anyone up! I always walk away from a fight if possible, and very, very rarely start them. I was taking the piss.

Yes I can read Thai, my writing is not the best but Thais can understand what I'm trying to say.

You're impressed, but you're trying to say I'm lying. I didn't really want to mention the fact that I've been working illegally since I got here in that thread, because that's not what I wanted advise about. I work various different part-time jobs, the 4 interviews were for full-time jobs which can hopefully see me acquire a work permit and 1 year visa. One company in Huahin is going to do there best to get me working legally. Thanks for your advise, but a degree is not important to me I do just fine without qualifications, and as many people like to say, "This is Thailand, anything is possible!"

If you studied for a degree maybe you could teach your student the difference between advice and advise and their and there.

If you studied for a degree maybe you could teach your student the difference between advice and advise and their and there.

Thanks, for your input. I teach conversation not spelling. Yea, i'm kicking myself for making those schoolboy errors, but I'm tired and want to go and get pissed. When I'm typing on TV I don't care much for writing perfect English but maybe I should cos there's always some <deleted> with a chip on their shoulder picking up on mistakes and not actually making a good point.

What's your problem? I'm a good Teacher and love doing it, not like most people who just do it because they can't find anything else to do.

Thanks, for your input. I teach conversation not spelling. Yea, i'm kicking myself for making those schoolboy errors, but I'm tired and want to go and get pissed. When I'm typing on TV I don't care much for writing perfect English but maybe I should cos there's always some <deleted> with a chip on their shoulder picking up on mistakes and not actually making a good point.

What's your problem? I'm a good Teacher and love doing it, not like most people who just do it because they can't find anything else to do.

I think it is obvious you don't have a degree. A work permit without a degree? Ya right.

You are young now. You got the time. You have the energy to work and go to school. Even if you get a crap degree in Thailand it is better than nothing.

Tell the GF you had a flash of enlightenment and you don't want to end up a taxi driver. She can pay the bills while you go to school.

30% of the combat deaths in Vietnam were draftees. They were the cannon fodder guys. They called the regular soldiers, lifers.

You could tell the difference by looking at the dog tags, RA for Enlisted and US for draftees. Draftees served 24 months active duty, 12 of which was usually in Vietnam and if I remember right 6 years of inactive reserve. Officers usually only 6 months in Vietnam. A lot wanted to go and get a medal and get some combat on their service record as it was the key to promotion.

There was a lot of conflict between the lifers and the draftees.

I served two tours in Vietnam because it was better than the stateside army which was riddled with paperwork and pomposity. I liked combat better than some idiot telling me to pick up a cigarette butt or get a haircut.

If I was going to study I'd go home to do it.

People do get a WP without a degree, and it's not obvious I don't have one mate, you've never met me.

One company wants to help me work legally so they're going to do their best, if they can't I'll try again.

Thanks for the info on the Vietnam war. Have a nice life.

People do get a WP without a degree, and it's not obvious I don't have one mate, you've never met me.

One company wants to help me work legally so they're going to do their best, if they can't I'll try again.

Sorry you are right, I have never met you. I should have said, your age and education is obvious from your writing. Your temperament comes across loud and clear from the way you write also. Do you want to know how I know? 1. Avatar. 2. purposeful misspellings. 3. Slang used. 4. Lack of knowledge about history. 5. Displays of anger. 6. Lack of knowledge of education practices.

You shout, young and uneducated every time you post. The only cure is go to college and age a bit. Hopefully that will calm you down a bit. Is it this easy for children to anger you? Wait till you deal with the Thai school system for a while. People who are easy to anger have a hard time. If I can get under your skin think of what a principal will do.

I have got on well everywhere I work. The children don't anger me. I like to use slang, when talking with people who can understand it, I don't think that says much about me. I have worked with two principles so far and we still get on fine. I don't really mind what you think about me but I'm not and angry person.

It is clear from your posts that you are self centered and bitter about your youth.

I have got on well everywhere I work. The children don't anger me. I like to use slang, when talking with people who can understand it, I don't think that says much about me. I have worked with two principles so far and we still get on fine. I don't really mind what you think about me but I'm not and angry person.

It is clear from your posts that you are self centered and bitter about your youth.

I reckon you need to ditinguish your principals from your principles.

If you can compromise your principals, you might maintain your principles, and vice versa.

I don't think he's bitter about his youth - many of us, if not bitter, are at least a bit sharp - tangy, I like to call it - Zesty! refreshing! about our lack of youth. Actually, zesty and refreshing are too much effort, and I'm quite happy with tangy....

SC

SC

Principles ?

One of those would be that education is not dead ?

Principles ?

One of those would be that education is not dead ?

It's not dead; its resting. Norweigian Blues / Principles tire easiy. Its resting"

Sambo you are going to learn something today because I am a good teacher. In spite of yourself you will remember what I am about to tell you. Trust me you will. Never again will you make a fool of yourself in this particular area.

The principal is your PAL. PAL like friend.

In every trade there are words one should know if involved in that trade. In teaching, spelling those words is also important as young people depend on you to be correct. You will find out it is not enough simply to teach pronunciation. You must also write the word on the board to facilitate learning.

If you are a teacher you should know how to spell words like; school, teacher, student, classroom and principal.

It is easy to remember how to spell principal if you remember the principal is your PAL.

Also, speaking of slang, SAMBO is a racially charged word in America. You should probably avoid using it.

You will never misspell principal again. I guarantee it because I am a good teacher.

Your welcome.

Nobody? Ok I'll do it myself.

From the OED.

The words principle and principal are pronounced in the same way but they do not have the same meaning. Principle is normally used as a noun meaning ‘a fundamental basis of a system of thought or belief’, as in this is one of the basic principles of democracy . Principal, on the other hand, is normally an adjective meaning ‘main or most important’, as in one of the country's principal cities . Principal can also be a noun, where it is used to refer to the most senior or most important person in an organization or other group: the deputy principal

So, the poster you are berating is correct in his use of that spelling, sticking to his principles. Sticking to a principal may still be a caning offence in some places.

I thought a good teacher would have known that, Pal.

From the OED.

The words principle and principal are pronounced in the same way but they do not have the same meaning. Principle is normally used as a noun meaning ‘a fundamental basis of a system of thought or belief’, as in this is one of the basic principles of democracy . Principal, on the other hand, is normally an adjective meaning ‘main or most important’, as in one of the country's principal cities . Principal can also be a noun, where it is used to refer to the most senior or most important person in an organization or other group: the deputy principal

So, the poster you are berating is correct in his use of that spelling, sticking to his principles. Sticking to a principal may still be a caning offence in some places.

Go back and read post #162. You aren't that ignorant.

I have worked with two principles so far and we still get on fine.

Sambo you are going to learn something today because I am a good teacher. In spite of yourself you will remember what I am about to tell you. Trust me you will. Never again will you make a fool of yourself in this particular area.

In every trade there are words one should know if involved in that trade. In teaching, spelling those words is also important as young people depend on you to be correct. You will find out it is not enough simply to teach pronunciation. You must also write the word on the board to facilitate learning.

If you are a teacher you should know how to spell words like; school, teacher, student, classroom and principal.

It is easy to remember how to spell principal if you remember the principal is your PAL.

Also, speaking of slang, SAMBO is a racially charged word in America. You should probably avoid using it.

You will never misspell principal again. I guarantee it because I am a good teacher.

Your welcome.

Thanks for some, one again unrequested advice, you're right I probably never will misspell that word again but not because of your, "good teaching".

Sambo is also a word used in England that a long time ago used to be a racist term. I'm not worried about using it, I have friends of all colours and nationalities how all like to give me the nickname Sambo. I'm sorry if you take offence, but burying a word in the past doesn't help. Using it as a light-hearted nickname does. I've never had anybody take offence before and it was not a self-given nickname.

As for teaching I don't need your help thanks, I don't call myself a good teacher because that's what's known as 'blowing your own trumpet', but many other people have said I'm a very good teacher and no-one has complained about my teaching skills. I don't just teach children I teach adults too.

I don't feel like I made a fool of myself, I have more self-respect than that.

Edit: This kind of brings us back on topic, I'm still not sure if anybody really understands why you don't teach your GF English, especially if you are such a good teacher. The only reason I understood was because if you do she might find some-one else. You also say she's not interested, in my experience everybody in Thailand under the age of 50 wants to learn English.

Edited by SamboVilla

From the OED.

The words principle and principal are pronounced in the same way but they do not have the same meaning. Principle is normally used as a noun meaning 'a fundamental basis of a system of thought or belief', as in this is one of the basic principles of democracy . Principal, on the other hand, is normally an adjective meaning 'main or most important', as in one of the country's principal cities . Principal can also be a noun, where it is used to refer to the most senior or most important person in an organization or other group: the deputy principal

Thanks but no, I was wrong. What they are getting a huge kick out of was a mistake. I should feel such a fool of myself!

Now he's calling you ignorant and apparently I'm the one easy to anger.

Your welcome.

Thanks for some, one again unrequested advice, you're right I probably never will misspell that word again but not because of your, "good teaching".

Sambo is also a word used in England that a long time ago used to be a racist term. I'm not worried about using it, I have friends of all colours and nationalities how all like to give me the nickname Sambo. I'm sorry if you take offence, but burying a word in the past doesn't help. Using it as a light-hearted nickname does. I've never had anybody take offence before and it was not a self-given nickname.

As for teaching I don't need your help thanks, I don't call myself a good teacher because that's what's known as 'blowing your own trumpet', but many other people have said I'm a very good teacher and no-one has complained about my teaching skills. I don't just teach children I teach adults too.

I don't feel like I made a fool of myself, I have more self-respect than that.

Edit: This kind of brings us back on topic, I'm still not sure if anybody really understands why you don't teach your GF English, especially if you are such a good teacher. The only reason I understood was because if you do she might find some-one else. You also say she's not interested, in my experience everybody in Thailand under the age of 50 wants to learn English.

How many students have you taught English?

When you make a mistake you don't make small ones. Not only do students not want to learn English but non student adults have even less interest about learning a foreign language.

Maybe 5% of a government school has any interest in learning English. Thai students take English for 12 years! How many can speak English?

Back to the original topic. She does not want to learn English. You know how much you have resisted anything I have told you. It was all good advice. Go home, get a degree, stop thinking with the little head. Same kind of thing any reasonable person would tell you. You aren't old enough to understand women in general let alone Thai women. Zip it up and make some strides in your personal advancement.

As much as I give you good advice you won't listen because you don't want to. Motivation. I understand. You have no motivation to listen to me. She has no motivation to learn English. She is not unusual she is Thai. We have no problems communicating, even jokes and jokes are difficult to communicate.

Young people have a tendency to want to change people. Marry a stipper and change her into a saint. Old people like me are willing to let things be. I don't care if she thinks the moon is made of cheese. I don't care if she believes in ghosts or the Easter bunny. I don't even teach her how to cook. If she wants to learn something she asks me. She asked a week ago why Thai people believe in ghosts. I told her Pra wa khun Thai bun ya awn. Ask your girlfriend.

OP was here as a soldier in the 60's and he is probably pushing into his 70's now, so the GF is not going to get much out of him. I imagine she is quite happy to string him along until he kicks the bucket.

yes good on her! what a dope - so patronizing

Just the fact that the OP actually talks to the mother on the phone convinces me he has completely lost the plot!!

Mom, hello how are you? Got enough whiskey? Good. Talk to your daughter, OK. She is having one of those, “I think I am a princess days again.” Ya same as last time. Remind her of the cold water showers and the jungle food. Sure, she can come home. Skinnies her up a bit. She doesn't like the farmer food anymore.

OK, I'll give her a couple of thousand baht and you keep her for a week. Yes, all 7 days. OK,OK 2500 baht but keep her for 8 days OK? Don't worry I won't forget to wear a condom. No, of course I still love her but you know I am still a man. Yes ha ha.

:lol:

Hi Mark,

I must say that the first posts I read from you in "The other place" made me have a bit of mixed feelings.

This thread is is just so informative and funny at the same time. But I can see some here don't really understand.

Please bear with me that I am not a native English speaker and my English language skills have been totally destructed while I was in the USSR and many other countries around the world for the last 20 years.

So please forgive me for my poor sentence building,spelling and use of comma and whatever that is needed.

I am in Asia now for eight years and I would like to know your opinion based on your experience when it comes to learning people cause and effect.

One example. One of the workers drove his bike and wearing a helmet. I asked him why he was wearing a helmet. He said because when I do not there is a possibility that a police guy will stop me and give me a fine.

I asked him if he thought wearing a helmet would increase his rate of survival in case he ever got into an accident.

Why you think I go to have accident he asked.

Should I have told him he drives like a lunatic, never minding any other traffic that might collide with him when he makes his crazy moves?

How can we learn such people understand cause and effect?

Alex

Sorry you are right, I have never met you. I should have said, your age and education is obvious from your writing. Your temperament comes across loud and clear from the way you write also. Do you want to know how I know? 1. Avatar. 2. purposeful misspellings. 3. Slang used. 4. Lack of knowledge about history. 5. Displays of anger. 6. Lack of knowledge of education practices.

You shout, young and uneducated every time you post. The only cure is go to college and age a bit. Hopefully that will calm you down a bit. Is it this easy for children to anger you? Wait till you deal with the Thai school system for a while. People who are easy to anger have a hard time. If I can get under your skin think of what a principal will do.

I would have to agree with this - you can't teach here without a degree and TFL recognised cert (Trinity or Cambridge) - well you can teach but not at a good school. The point is you have to learn to teach - you are not born with the knowledge and skill-set - it is pure arrogance to think you can.

But as my old CEO once said - 'people don't know what they don't know'

In teaching, spelling those words is also important as young people depend on you to be correct.
Your welcome.

Oops.....