No Traffic Tickets Today, 13 Oct, In Bangkok

webfact

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard a while. Police Day = Sit on arse and eat donuts. No tickets.

Everyone go ahead and run red lights, speed, do whatever. Don't worry no one will have any trouble.

It's not like they do much good on the streets policing traffic anyway, but this is OTT.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard a while. Police Day = Sit on arse and eat donuts. No tickets.

Everyone go ahead and run red lights, speed, do whatever. Don't worry no one will have any trouble.

It's not like they do much good on the streets policing traffic anyway, but this is OTT.

Maybe they think a day of inaction will show the general public how useful ;) they normally are

Have you ever heard anything quite so ridiculous in your life? It just proves beyond doubt that the police treat issuing tickets as a revenue raising idea not in any way related to law enforcement or traffic safety.

I wonder if the Armed forces have a day where they decide not to protect the country, but rather wisely don't announce it.

LOL defiantly an "only in Thailand moment"

At the Burapa Bike Week event in Pattaya last year, The Chief of Police came on stage and said everyone have a good time don't worry about drinking to much as the Police wouldn't be stopping anyone on their way home. (as translated by my Thai GF) LOL.

Edited by kevkev1888

Does that mean they stop taking tea money as well? Do they ever actually give anyone a ticket? I thought they had run out of paper, like the Thai ID cards, not available until 2011....lol

WOO a new SCAM in LOS (Thailand, land of scams)

Most impressive ! Why not extend No Ticket Day to other matters like:

- No Rice Day Eat vegetables only

- No Taxi Day Keep walking all day

- No Electricity Day Turn off lights, aircon and everything else

- No Beer Day Hold it, not possible because too important

for survival

More good ideas most welcome.

No Police daybiggrin.gif .welcomeani.gif

Great that means that the traffic flow through Samrong on Sukhumvit road will indeed be a smooth process. No police and traffic flows smoothly. clap2.gif

Edited by siampolee

Have you ever heard anything quite so ridiculous in your life? It just proves beyond doubt that the police treat issuing tickets as a revenue raising idea not in any way related to law enforcement or traffic safety.

I wonder if the Armed forces have a day where they decide not to protect the country, but rather wisely don't announce it.

Yes - spot on - it shows what we all know ... that road safety is simply not a factor in the ticket system.

At least I can ride my bike in the safest lane today.

I wish this extended to 'stop and search' today. I climbed into a taxi outside my apartment block near Sukhumvit at 4.15 this morning. Before we'd even begun to move, two policemen on a motorbike came up behind and stopped us and ordered me out, searched me for drugs and then made me do a urine test before they sent me on my way. It was so humiliating. They're a bunch of circus monkeys who've had their faces shaved and dressed in uniforms.

I wish this extended to 'stop and search' today. I climbed into a taxi outside my apartment block near Sukhumvit at 4.15 this morning. Before we'd even begun to move, two policemen on a motorbike came up behind and stopped us and ordered me out, searched me for drugs and then made me do a urine test before they sent me on my way. It was so humiliating. They're a bunch of circus monkeys who've had their faces shaved and dressed in uniforms.

A urin test in public? jeeeeezzzzzz, you think you have heard it all before and then some and then this happens! are they actually sent out from there station to do that? :blink:

A urin test in public? jeeeeezzzzzz, you think you have heard it all before and then some and then this happens! are they actually sent out from there station to do that? :blink:

It was a quiet soi, so there wasn't anyone else around. They couldn't find anything for me to pee in at first, so they searched around through a pile of old bottles and eventually asked me to pee into the waterproof packaging the tester and the liquid dropper came in. They told me to go into the corner of the small car park in front of my apartment block to do it. Yes, they are obviously sent out from their station to do that.

It was a quiet soi, so there wasn't anyone else around. They couldn't find anything for me to pee in at first, so they searched around through a pile of old bottles and eventually asked me to pee into the waterproof packaging the tester and the liquid dropper came in. They told me to go into the corner of the small car park in front of my apartment block to do it. Yes, they are obviously sent out from their station to do that.

The potential for sample contamination would be huge .... this is just so unprofessional on every level .... but I guess par for the course for uniformed gansters

These are the most despicable bunch of crooks I've seen in a long time. They deserve only the ire of everyone in Thailand. There are no real police here.

Sounds very fishy to me. You need to pee in a sterile cup for the test to be valid ... looking around for something for you to pee in doesn't sound right. Doesn't sound like they have ever done this before either because it makes no sense to carry a partial urine test kit if your intention is to test somebody. Sounds like you were coming out of a known drug building or they have got their eye on you. I have never heard of such a thing given the circumstances you described but I guess anything is possible.

Edited by jcbangkok