Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very oops.

1200 + 200 + 300 visor (the 200 for not negotiating color).

Thank you for corrections.

My fault in reporting - their credit in allowing fitting - most worthwhile.

Edited by CMX

Honda dealer in Pattaya HAD the new CBR150 but has sold them all within a few days. The new CBR250r will be sold mid Dec 2010.

Price-wise and size-wise the CBR250 is a nice bike for me, although I would like a more straigh-up seating position and I do not like the all cockpit and fairing of the bike. Maybe they should make a naked version of it?

Looking for bike that is a bit more comfortable for touring as my current motard bike and the the CBR250 might be the one (althoug the Kawa Versys is also a very nice bike).

Visions, your CBR400 colour sounds great, looking forward to a photo.

Apoligies to anyone that thinks Im hi-jacking the thread...thats not my intention. Just responding to showing the "pearl effect" of the paint I used.

The pics dont really show it to advantage unfortunately. It really "glows" in the sun.

I was after a Honey White so why I oversprayed the white pearl with a little gold pearl, but the end effect is quite stunning when u see in real.

post-78830-0-54733700-1290262743_thumb.j

post-78830-0-07817800-1290263042_thumb.j

post-78830-0-55903500-1290263159_thumb.j

post-78830-0-38018500-1290263251_thumb.j

Looks good, but you could have washed it for us before taking the photos! :) Probably too eager to use it i suppose! The pearl effect is hard to photo sometimes, but can see patches of it in your photos. It must look stunning in sunlight. :clap2:

Talking about colours, anyone interested in what is a good colour for their car or bike run this link through google translate. It even tells you the best days and time to take delivery! Add 543 to your birth year to get the Buddhist year.

http://www.baanrak.com/fortune/carcolor/index.asp

Dark Blue, Grey to Black is good for me. I can take delivery on Sunday, Monday or Saturday, during 06:39 to 08:29 or 11:09 to 12:59. On another site pink or orange is not good for me, so no Repsol or Hello Kitty bikes.

Edited by taichiplanet

Disclaimer: I really wanted to like the CBR250R world bike. I was hoping that it could be my bike for use when I'm in Thailand. What I envisioned as good points were engine size (compared to Phantoms and such), parts and servicing availability, and reasonable price.

I have just returned from the 2010 San Mateo (app. San Francisco) International Motorcycle Show. Honda was there as an exhibitor, but did not provide demo rides. (Yamaha, Suzuki, H-D, Can-Am, Kawasaki all did...)

There were two CBR250R bikes in the Honda exhibit, one red and one black. I am a forgetful bastard and forgot my camera. In my opinion, they did not look good. Rather, they looked cheap in a toy-like way. This may have been related to the fact that I saw a lot of stellar bikes today. Perhaps if I had seen the CBR250Rs on their own, they might have looked better.

I had two sessions of sitting on the CBR250R as long as I wanted to. You know how you check the suspension front and rear? Bouncing your butt on the seat to check the rear, and pushing down on the front forks to check the front. Well, I did that a lot. And I regret to report that it was the worst suspension I felt all day. The rear was completely flat, with no bounce at all. The front felt nearly as flat. What are those front forks anyway? They look as cheap as they feel.

And the seating position... I had hopes--but they were dashed. It's not as bad as a full sports CBR, but it's still bad. You are leaning quite far forward, to the point that I am sure I could not abide.

I recognize that it seems like I am savaging the bike. But I cannot help it. Honda deserves exactly that. They are even making Thailand look bad. Thailand manufactures some excellent motorcycles, but not this one. In writing this report, I have just now realized that the CBR250R, overall, looks and feels like a cheap Chinese bike.

"But you didn't even ride one," you protest. Indeed. What is Honda trying to hide? Why did all the other manufacturers do demo rides, but not Honda?

In defense of Thailand's motorcycle manufacturing industry, I can report that several Thai-made Kawasaki models were excellent. I don't know what it is about the Versys, but it has gotten better and better. (And it started out as a legitimate bike of the year a few years ago...) It has become a much better sitting bike. It feels wonderful. A close inspection reveals nothing but quality.

What did I take away from the show? I will not purchase a Honda CBR250R for use when I am in Thailand. Rather, I will scrimp and save until I can purchase a Kawasaki Versys instead. The Versys is a real motorcycle. Please don't hate me! But the 2011 Honda CBR250R world bike is a cheap toy of a bike, unsuitable for purchase by anyone seeking reasonable value.

P.S. Like many, I was losing patience with Mr. Thunder. However, he was for the most part accurate as far as I can tell. We will know more when the actual ride reports come in.

Disclaimer: I really wanted to like the CBR250R world bike. I was hoping that it could be my bike for use when I'm in Thailand. What I envisioned as good points were engine size (compared to Phantoms and such), parts and servicing availability, and reasonable price.

I have just returned from the 2010 San Mateo (app. San Francisco) International Motorcycle Show. Honda was there as an exhibitor, but did not provide demo rides. (Yamaha, Suzuki, H-D, Can-Am, Kawasaki all did...)

There were two CBR250R bikes in the Honda exhibit, one red and one black. I am a forgetful bastard and forgot my camera. In my opinion, they did not look good. Rather, they looked cheap in a toy-like way. This may have been related to the fact that I saw a lot of stellar bikes today. Perhaps if I had seen the CBR250Rs on their own, they might have looked better.

I had two sessions of sitting on the CBR250R as long as I wanted to. You know how you check the suspension front and rear? Bouncing your butt on the seat to check the rear, and pushing down on the front forks to check the front. Well, I did that a lot. And I regret to report that it was the worst suspension I felt all day. The rear was completely flat, with no bounce at all. The front felt nearly as flat. What are those front forks anyway? They look as cheap as they feel.

And the seating position... I had hopes--but they were dashed. It's not as bad as a full sports CBR, but it's still bad. You are leaning quite far forward, to the point that I am sure I could not abide.

I recognize that it seems like I am savaging the bike. But I cannot help it. Honda deserves exactly that. They are even making Thailand look bad. Thailand manufactures some excellent motorcycles, but not this one. In writing this report, I have just now realized that the CBR250R, overall, looks and feels like a cheap Chinese bike.

"But you didn't even ride one," you protest. Indeed. What is Honda trying to hide? Why did all the other manufacturers do demo rides, but not Honda?

In defense of Thailand's motorcycle manufacturing industry, I can report that several Thai-made Kawasaki models were excellent. I don't know what it is about the Versys, but it has gotten better and better. (And it started out as a legitimate bike of the year a few years ago...) It has become a much better sitting bike. It feels wonderful. A close inspection reveals nothing but quality.

What did I take away from the show? I will not purchase a Honda CBR250R for use when I am in Thailand. Rather, I will scrimp and save until I can purchase a Kawasaki Versys instead. The Versys is a real motorcycle. Please don't hate me! But the 2011 Honda CBR250R world bike is a cheap toy of a bike, unsuitable for purchase by anyone seeking reasonable value.

P.S. Like many, I was losing patience with Mr. Thunder. However, he was for the most part accurate as far as I can tell. We will know more when the actual ride reports come in.

Thanks for the honest report. Whether someone likes or hates the bike is fine, as long as there is some logic behind it. At least you have seen and sat on the bike which is a lot more than most of us have. Most of us are just guessing and wishing, and there really isn't a lot of new bikes in that class. It is good you posted as i have been tempted to order without seeing the bike, but now i think i will wait to see one in the flesh.

Out of interest how tall are you (to get an idea of riding position)? And the riding position compared to a Ninja 250?

I also thought why didn't they go for the upside down forks (even the Tiger Boxer 250RS has it). The rear suspension is apparently adjustable, though not sure if this would improve the problem you were having.

I am torn between a small/medium bike to work my way through traffic, and a bigger bike for touring. Though most of the time it will be used in traffic. Ideally a nicely set-up 250 would be good, or even a 400. The low torque and ABS of the CBR250 is appealing, though the Ninja 250 also appeals as it is seems to be better built and more of a sports bike (i am not saying it is a sports bike!). I like the ER6/Ninja/Versys but beside the price i think it will be too big for traffic weaving.

Of course if the price is 100k/115k i suppose we have to expect some compromise but it would be disappointing if Honda had made it cheap feeling.

Edited by taichiplanet

I am 5' 11", app. 87 kg (a bit of a fat bastard these days). But regarding riding position, I am a stickler for a standard riding position, so I discriminate against sports riding position bikes even though many others might actually prefer that position.

I have only sat on the Ninja 650R (not a 250), and of course given my preference for a standard riding position, I liked it well enough. Sit me on a regular Ninja with the sports riding position, and I freak out.

I am seriously disappointed in what Honda has done. Take the Honda Rebel, a 234cc unit that has been around a while. That is a good bike, well-made and an excellent value. In being that, even the Rebel is everything that the new CBR250R appears not to be.

I truly hope that I am wrong about the CBR250R. Maybe what we had here at today's bike show were early production models. But I didn't ask. Every employee working Honda's exhibit had the look of a corporate stooge. They didn't even look like people who rode motorcycles. In contrast, I had great, in-depth discussions with the Yamaha and Kawasaki guys. There is something very wrong at Honda's motorcycle division (at least its American operation), and I don't know what it is.

Nice report about the CBR250r, gives me a bit of the same feeling I had when I saw the CBR150 (and I have the idea that the 250 is not much different as the 150). But on the other hand a CBR250r with ABS would be 115k against a Versys of 285k. It are really two differents bikes, not only in price. You could even spend some money on the CBR in upgrading it.

Honda USA might be weird but I think Honda Thailand and Kawasaki Thailand are just as weird. They come out with new bikes but more or less do nothing to promote them. Just lazy Thai style. Same once at the Suzuki stand at the Motor Show in BKK .... they had a bike on show that would never be sold in Thailand. Why show something that you can never buy?

The exec that my wife talked to last week at the Honda Showroom here in C.M. told her that because the 150 and 250 are almost identical, except for the engine, many of the parts were actually interchangeable between the two. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Anyway, after weighing all the variables, and taking the 150 for a test ride in both city traffic and the highway, I went ahead and ordered the tri-color 150. Had no problems weaving in and out of the traffic, and the stability on the highway at 110 was much better than the old model. If I can maneuver in city traffic,and still cruse the highways at 120 or so for the longer road trips, that's all I really need.

The exec that my wife talked to last week at the Honda Showroom here in C.M. told her that because the 150 and 250 are almost identical, except for the engine, many of the parts were actually interchangeable between the two. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Anyway, after weighing all the variables, and taking the 150 for a test ride in both city traffic and the highway, I went ahead and ordered the tri-color 150. Had no problems weaving in and out of the traffic, and the stability on the highway at 110 was much better than the old model. If I can maneuver in city traffic,and still cruse the highways at 120 or so for the longer road trips, that's all I really need.

Not sure how much that Excutive knows?? When I compared the 150 with the 250, I was amazed how few things were the same!! Look similar sure...but when u have a detailed look I couldnt find anything the same except for maybe the hand controls and instrument panel

As for sitting on the bike...Obviously different people look for and like different things in a bike. I found the suspension quite taught and responsive, but then Im not a big guy either. The ride position tends towards "sportbike" but is still quite upright compared to most larger sportbikes. I find the position much more comfortable than upright "cruiser" style and much better for control of the bike. After all that is why sportbikes have that ride position...because it is found to be best for the feel and control of the bike. And Im no young teenager either.

At almost one third the price of a Verseys, u cannot compare the two, its a totaly different style of bike completely. The Verseys is better suited to a bigger person obviously. I havent ridden or even sat on one but I doubt if I would like because of its size. My legs wouldnt reach the ground.. But for what they are designed for...I would think a great competitively priced bike here in Thailand.

Visions....

I can't say for sure, because I've only seen the 250 in photos, but just from those, I tend to agree with you more than the exec. As for riding position, I'm one of those who much prefer the "sport bike" style over the upright position. That's the reason I said "no" to a Tiger 250 when we went to look at them. The new 150 riding position feels pretty much the same as the previous model, but with a couple of very minor differences to me. First the seat is wider and more comfortable, although I didn't have a problem with the old one. And while I can't say for sure, it feels as if the foot pegs for clutch and brake have been moved just every so slightly back a little.

After testing it, me and wife sat down at a table in the showroom and discussed things at length, keeping Honda people away while we did, Basically we discussed the pros and cons of the 150 & 250, While we both agree the 250, overall, would be a better highway bike, we also both agree that the 150 will be better in city traffic, and half my driving is in city traffic. After the first of the year, when my health is a little better, I want to do some "road trips", and feel the 150 will do fine for that if I can cruse at 115-120 on the highways. Like you, I'm not young, turning 62 in less than two months, and I'm not big at 172cm and down to 60 kilo from my previous 70kg due to illnesses over the past year, and the 150 feels very comfortable and manageable for me.

So, after the discussion we both agreed that, overall, for now, the 150 would be best. So we ordered the tri color and it will be here sometime this week.

Edited by Just1Voice

Just1Voice wrote:

So, after the discussion we both agreed that, overall, for now, the 150 would be best. So we ordered the tri color and it will be here sometime this week.

I think that is brilliant. I like the way that you actually thought about how you would use the bike before you purchased it.

Too often folks buy more bike than they need. Nothing wrong with too much bike if the money is not important to you and it is a toy or something you want for fun.

I like the practical approach since I don't want to ride like an #$$hole anymore and the more sedate the bike, the less I want to ride to fast..

One suggestion though, take a very close look at the tires and consider upgrading them if they are similar to the old crap tires that came on the old CBR150. Get the biggest softest tires that will fit the rim without rubbing on swing-arm, chain etc.

Enjoy the new bike, my guess is you will find its seating position the easiest on your back, cruiser style bikes are often harder on your back as you sit up too much and shocks are transmitted straight up your spine.

Visions....

I can't say for sure, because I've only seen the 250 in photos, but just from those, I tend to agree with you more than the exec. As for riding position, I'm one of those who much prefer the "sport bike" style over the upright position. That's the reason I said "no" to a Tiger 250 when we went to look at them. The new 150 riding position feels pretty much the same as the previous model, but with a couple of very minor differences to me. First the seat is wider and more comfortable, although I didn't have a problem with the old one. And while I can't say for sure, it feels as if the foot pegs for clutch and brake have been moved just every so slightly back a little.

After testing it, me and wife sat down at a table in the showroom and discussed things at length, keeping Honda people away while we did, Basically we discussed the pros and cons of the 150 & 250, While we both agree the 250, overall, would be a better highway bike, we also both agree that the 150 will be better in city traffic, and half my driving is in city traffic. After the first of the year, when my health is a little better, I want to do some "road trips", and feel the 150 will do fine for that if I can cruse at 115-120 on the highways. Like you, I'm not young, turning 62 in less than two months, and I'm not big at 172cm and down to 60 kilo from my previous 70kg due to illnesses over the past year, and the 150 feels very comfortable and manageable for me.

J1V Congratulations on your choice. I agree with your reasoning too.

In fact for me also the 150 would do all I need. Im also 99.9% always one up. Ive done some long trips on my older model...up to 7.5 hrs on the seat without getting off, just stop for 3 gas top ups. (not get off the bike) The reason Im going for the 250, (and I know there is the distinct possibility I will change back to the 150) is I feel I am using the 150 towards the top of its range too much.

I certainly dont thrash the bike, in fact the opposite, but most of the running it sits on between 6500 and 8000rpm and gear changing usually around 8 to 8500rpm. Ive now done 44000km on this bike and eveything sounds ok still but I know a bigger engine can give me the same performance at less stress. For the bike and me.

But weaving in traffic...I am 100% a believer that the 150 CBR has no peers.

The bike comes with IRC, and those will definitely be changed to either Michelin or Dunlap. IRC's are too hard and too slick on a wet surface. Which is also something we discussed. Other than that, the only thing I am thinking of changing at the moment is the air filter. I want to switch to a K&N, but have no idea where to find in Chiang Mai, but I'm sure someone will tell me. haha. And maybe at the first oil change switch to Mobile synthetic. Other than that, I'll leave it as it is.

One of the things I did notice during the test was that at 110 you still get the wind in the face/chest the same as the old model, but the bike feels much more stable due to the larger tires and extra weight at that speed. But from what I understand, and I might be wrong about this, there's an aftermarket wind screen you can get that is a little larger and cuts down on that somewhat.

Anyway, told the wife that as soon as it comes, I'm taking it out on the highway to Doi Sakett, which is a wide, pretty straight run, then into Doi Sakett to the highway that goes back to Bosang. That's a wide road with lots of nice curves and not much traffic during the day, so it will be good to go that way to get a good feel for the bike. As I mentioned earlier, there was no noticeable difference between the new/old when it came to weaving in and out of the traffic. The only difference might be that because of the extra width, going between cars might not be as easy as the old model.

But, hey, I'm happy (so far) with my decision, and have a feeling that I made the right one.

One of the things I did notice during the test was that at 110 you still get the wind in the face/chest the same as the old model, but the bike feels much more stable due to the larger tires and extra weight at that speed. But from what I understand, and I might be wrong about this, there's an aftermarket wind screen you can get that is a little larger and cuts down on that somewhat.

But, hey, I'm happy (so far) with my decision, and have a feeling that I made the right one.

At the Honda Fun Fest, one of the 150s had an aftermarket screen on it. Considerably larger than standard but looked ok. It actually fits over the top of the standard one with a smal airgap between. I didnt have a real good look how it was fastened but surmised it basicly "clipped" on so could be easily added/removed.

Had a slight reverse flare moulded into the top and sides, so kick the airstream out and over the rider. more. Somene? in Honda, somewhere? must know about them being on the bike there. Didnt take my camera so no pic sorry.

At the Honda Fun Fest, one of the 150s had an aftermarket screen on it. Considerably larger than standard but looked ok. It actually fits over the top of the standard one with a smal airgap between. I didnt have a real good look how it was fastened but surmised it basicly "clipped" on so could be easily added/removed.

Had a slight reverse flare moulded into the top and sides, so kick the airstream out and over the rider. more. Somene? in Honda, somewhere? must know about them being on the bike there. Didnt take my camera so no pic sorry.

I think visions is talking about this

post-77479-0-84543100-1290409253_thumb.j

I think visions is talking about this

post-77479-0-84543100-1290409253_thumb.j

Yes you are correct. Thanks for the pic. See it's held on by the mirror bolts, so not just a click on. Those mirrors are aftermarket also.

Humm, in the "Accessories Catalog" we picked up, there is a picture of something resembling that, but it's too small of a pic to really tell. But I'm sure that if I want one, Honda will be happy to get it, or I can wait a week or so and buy it much cheaper at one of the aftermarket shops. lol.

Same as when I bought wife new Scoopy a few months back. We priced all the accessories from Honda, then went to an aftermarket shop where my wife knows the owner and got all the things we had looked for about half the price that Honda wanted.

:whistling:

Ok, I'm like a little kid at Christmas. Picked up my new tri-color 150 today. First one bought in Chiang Mai. Picked it up around 4:45, which means I had to maneuver through "rush hour" traffic from dealer to temple - that's always a must - and then home. Had to deal with traffic all the way to Highway 121, and that was fine, as it gave me a good chance to really see how it handles in traffic. No problems! And when I finally got to the highway I ran it up to 105 for a couple of kilometers.

While you can definitely feel the extra weight difference when stopped, once you start moving you don't notice it at all. If anything, the bike feels more stable, with a very comfortable ride.

I'm a happy camper. !

I'll put some pics up tomorrow. Too dark to do now.

Honda USA might be weird but I think Honda Thailand and Kawasaki Thailand are just as weird. They come out with new bikes but more or less do nothing to promote them. Just lazy Thai style.

Eh? You didn't see the month long promotional build up for the 12 hour party at Hua Mark stadium for the release of the 150?

Honda USA might be weird but I think Honda Thailand and Kawasaki Thailand are just as weird. They come out with new bikes but more or less do nothing to promote them. Just lazy Thai style.

Eh? You didn't see the month long promotional build up for the 12 hour party at Hua Mark stadium for the release of the 150?

Which didn't actually mention the Cbr150 unless you asked. they only said new bike release. also it did not go on the APe website until the day AFTER the party....... so no didn't notice :D

Also i think he was getting at the fact this thread is talking about the Cbr250... can you tell me where APe are advertising that?????

cos i for one have seen nothing... unless i look in Australia, USA or the UK... THIS SHOULD BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST EVENTS for APe.. but NO... There is some speculation that it may be released at the bangkok MOTO expo... if we are lucky!!!!!! :rolleyes::blink:

http://www.motorexpo.co.th/2010/

Edited by thaicbr

Be nice to fit a set of these Carbon Rims on a new bike........supposedly equal to about 9hp gain in performance, according to the advert. Plus matching upgrade tyres of course.

Rim size in the chart are larger than the 250 sizes but gives a good comparison.

Wheel Type

Wheel Dimensions

Std Cast Aluminium

BST Carbon Fibre

Front

17x3.50

4.238 Kg

2.350 Kg

Rear

17x5.50

5.590 Kg

2.900 Kg

Total Weight

Pair

9.828 Kg

5.250 Kg

Weight Saving

=

=

4.578 Kg

Weight Saving %

=

=

46.58%

But I guess u need be fairly serious about upgrading........spending 124,000 B before import duty or taxes here!!!

Oh well...nice dream

post-78830-0-13210400-1290449001_thumb.j

Edited by visions