Thaivisa Sign Content Agreement With Associated Press (Ap)

george

Thaivisa sign content agreement with Associated Press, (AP)

SINGAPORE: -- Thaivisa.com have reached an agreement with AP (Associated Press) to deliver full-text Thailand and Asia related News content, mobile news and photos for Thaivisa.com

The agreement is in effect from today October 18, 2010

Thaivisa currently have content agreements with AFP, The Nation, Phuket Gazette, BNO News and several local news websites.

We are currently negotiating with additional content providers and we will be happy to present those in the near future.

We welcome Associated Press to Thaivisa.

More info about AP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press

Thaivisa.com & aplogo.jpg

-- (c) Associated Press Singapore 2010-10-18

Good move.

"Thaivisa currently have content agreements with AFP, The Nation, Phuket Gazette, BNO News and several local news websites."

However, you wrote earlier on Forum Support Desk that the advertisement contract with The Nation was not renewed. But you're still allowed to publish their content?

But, in general I find the move to publish AP news as much better than the -almost- exclusively published and VERY biased news from The Nation on Thaivisa.

The latter news was mostly sickening and not independent.

LaoPo

But, in general I find the move to publish AP news as much better than the -almost- exclusively published and VERY biased news from The Nation on Thaivisa.

Biased in what way? I know people in both papers and they just shake their heads at these sort of accusations. Left and right, red and yellow all accuse the major papers of being biased against them all of the time.

My own theory is that the left/right/red/yellow are so full of crooks that any negative publicity they attract is probably well deserved.

Biased in what way? I know people in both papers and they just shake their heads at these sort of accusations. Left and right, red and yellow all accuse the major papers of being biased against them all of the time.

My own theory is that the left/right/red/yellow are so full of crooks that any negative publicity they attract is probably well deserved.

Since you know better than me you better give that answer to your own question, don't you think ? But you already did, in a way, theorizing the Yellow owners of The Nation are crooks also....

Are you telling me The Nation (and BKK Post also) is not biased and publishing fully independent news? Give me a break.

Search who the owners are and maybe you can give me an explanation why the Yellow family who owns The Nation keep on publishing it, losing so much money, year in year out, with a circulation of less than 50.000 not worth publishing an English newspaper at all ?

The facts are there in the yearly publications, as required by the Thai Stock Authorities.

LaoPo

Since you know better than me you better give that answer to your own question, don't you think ? But you already did, in a way, theorizing the Yellow owners of The Nation are crooks also....

Are you telling me The Nation (and BKK Post also) is not biased and publishing fully independent news? Give me a break.

Search who the owners are and maybe you can give me an explanation why the Yellow family who owns The Nation keep on publishing it, losing so much money, year in year out, with a circulation of less than 50.000 not worth publishing an English newspaper at all ?

The facts are there in the yearly publications, as required by the Thai Stock Authorities.

LaoPo

If these people would have to stay alive from The Nation publishing they would have starved to death a long time ago. Rest assured these people have other hidden incomes called Cross Holdings all with different names. No different with the BKK Post.

Au Contraire

from the AP.org website:

The AP has bureaus

in every state in the United States and in scores of countries

worldwide. Because we supply content to newspapers, broadcasters

and Web sites in every time zone, we don't have set deadlines

– every minute of every day is our deadline. Our mission

is to produce stories as quickly and accurately as possible.

Also in New York is the International Desk, where editors

work with news editors and correspondents in more than 90

AP bureaus worldwide. They write, edit and direct coverage

for stories of global interest. They also file U.S. news stories

to international subscribers. AP has regional editing desks

in London and Bangkok.

The nation's owner -- or at least operator -- is the Yoon family. Certainly they are subsidized by someone with deep pockets because they have been losing big many for many years (if in fact the thing ever made money).

Poor editing, biased news coverage, poor treatment of staff, unaudited circulation (no clear number on how many papers are actually printed) ... it's a lousy excuse for a newspaper and good riddance to its "stories" on this website.

Good move.

"Thaivisa currently have content agreements with AFP, The Nation, Phuket Gazette, BNO News and several local news websites."

However, you wrote earlier on Forum Support Desk that the advertisement contract with The Nation was not renewed. But you're still allowed to publish their content?

LaoPo

Yes, my confusion as well..

Good move.

LaoPo

Thai Visa were advertising on The Nation. Now they have stopped, so there is no Thai Visa presence on The Nation site.

<snip>

Poor editing, biased news coverage, poor treatment of staff, unaudited circulation (no clear number on how many papers are actually printed) ... it's a lousy excuse for a newspaper and good riddance to its "stories" on this website.

The Nation is still being used as a source for news items.

Edited by whybother

Good move.

LaoPo

Thai Visa were advertising on The Nation. Now they have stopped, so there is no Thai Visa presence on The Nation site.

<snip>

Despite its shortcomings, it is still the most comprehensive news source for Thailand news (not counting the un-quotable, un-linkable Bangkok Post). It will become glaringly obvious very soon that the AP, while employing a higher caliber of journalist, produces around one article per day on Thailand news with many days producing none.

While it leaves quite a bit to be desired, The Nation writes the most articles that are about and that concern Thailand.

Well, to quote you: Why bother?

Because it's inescapable to use their news services if threads are going to discuss events in Thailand.

If waiting on an AP article to be written to discuss the news, the discussion will be far less current and comprehensive on the myriad of issues that face Thailand on a daily basis.

That's a good move forward

Now all that is needed is an agreement with bangkokpost and Phuketwan ( as they seem to be a couple of days ahead of the gazette )

You're a Genius George to come up with an idea for a board like this and then to build on it! Though I did prefer the board of old with less rules and regulations.

This is great news. Much appreciated and will certainly spice up this board.

Looks like the news are spreading. I've found this article.

THAIVISA PARTNERS WITH AP FOR CONTENT

Popular website ThaiVisa.Com has announced the signing of a content agreement with Associated Press.

In a statement is said: "Thaivisa.com have reached an agreement with AP (Associated Press) to deliver full-text Thailand and Asia related News content, mobile news and photos for Thaivisa.com The agreement is in effect from today, October 18, 2010."

ThaiVisa already has similar agreements with the AFP agency, The Nation, the Phuket Gazette and other local news websites and content providers.

I cannot imagine there are many similar web forums that have content agreements with leading global news agencies. Many just cut-and-paste content and hope for the best. By making things official it shows a massive degree of professionalism, in my view.

In my own experience (which includes negotiations for a deal from a global news provider just two months ago) these kinds of deals to not come cheap. Even some of the major Thai publishers do not have agreements like this.

I wonder how long it might be before ThaiVisa thinks about expanding its brand to print?

web site link http://www.bangkokbu...or-content.html

Edited by DocHolliday

RSS feeds are public. If Thai Visa chooses to publish those feeds, well not much the nation can do. Though, I never heard of a major new source giving a "website" exclusive right to publish, post their "copyrighted material" online. They seem quite despert now, they've been coping some of what the other site has done. New blood.

While it leaves quite a bit to be desired, The Nation writes the most articles that are about and that concern Thailand.

That might be but an English newspaper, biased as The Nation is, with a very small circulation of less than 50.000 in a country of 67 Million people is also dangerous, feeding their English reading audience BECAUSE it is politically colored: YELLOW and ANTI-RED.

That's not an independent news source; luckily there are more independent world wide news services who report about Thailand and it's heavily controlled and censored media.

Thailand is less democratic than it was 10 years ago.

LaoPo

That might be

Not might be, they do.

luckily there are more independent world wide news services who report about Thailand

Sure there are and if we're lucky we might get 3 new articles and subsequent threads in a whole week from them.

That might be

Not might be, they do.

luckily there are more independent world wide news services who report about Thailand

Sure there are and if we're lucky we might get 3 new articles and subsequent threads in a whole week from them.

I usually choose IHT or Al Jazeer for my news. If it comes down to it for thailand news, then one paper out of Pattaya or Bangkok Post.

That might be

Not might be, they do.

quote:luckily there are more independent world wide news services who report about Thailand

I usually choose IHT or Al Jazeer for my news. If it comes down to it for thailand news, then one paper out of Pattaya or Bangkok Post.

Al Jazeera is good, but as we're discussing Thailand and news services they produce less news than AP on Thailand.

Also as we're discussing the forum and news, the Bangkok Post is out.

I understand what your saying and it's always good to get as much variety as one can in regard to news services, but for the purposes of generating discussions on the forum on a daily new thread basis, the international media reporting on Thailand as a source for those threads is going to be quite sparse.