Spearfishing In Phuket

thaibazm

G'day everyone,

I'm an Australian living in Phuket with about 15 years spearing experience, mainly around Sydney and the NSW coast. I've been here a few of months and have done a bit of snorkelling off the rocks but i'm finally getting a gun sent over next week so I'll be super keen to get in the water and see what I can catch.

Is there anyone around with a bit of local experience who would be keen to hit the water with me, or at least give me some pointers on where is good to go? Is there anywhere where you're not allowed to go? What kind of fish do you get around here? Any good shops here that sell guns and other spearing equipment?

Also, do you know of any boat operators that take out spearing trips? I've asked a couple of long boat drivers but none of them seemed to know much about spearfishing..

Cheers,

Dave

Perfectly legal everywhere that isn't part of a marine park. Someone will be able to give you a better idea exactly what areas that covers. The sports shops in the shopping centers have some stuff or there is a fishing shop in Phuket town. Not much to go on but it's a start.

P.S Be ready for the illogical morons, who buy their trawled fish from the supermarket, but will try to tell you that you are doing something wrong by spear fishing. I hope you get more useful replies than those ones. Happy hunting.

Just remembered, there used to be a TV member who was a distributer for Pelaj gear. He also used to organise live aboards. Not sure if he's still about, but someone else might know.

I realise I'm not being hugely helpful, just though I'd fill the gap until someone who knows more comes along.

Perfectly legal everywhere that isn't part of a marine park. Someone will be able to give you a better idea exactly what areas that covers. The sports shops in the shopping centers have some stuff or there is a fishing shop in Phuket town. Not much to go on but it's a start.

P.S Be ready for the illogical morons, who buy their trawled fish from the supermarket, but will try to tell you that you are doing something wrong by spear fishing. I hope you get more useful replies than those ones. Happy hunting.

The shop with a fairly good collection of spear guns is next to GC Huat which is about 100 meters from the new market in Phuket Town. The lady has a few Beauchat guns but is having problems getting her shipments from Europe. I also like to spear fish and found many good places out in the offshore islands. I wish I had bought that professional wooden gun that I saw in Saipan and brought it back to Thailand with me! The guns here are quite expensive and I have found only that one shop in Thailand. I am going to check in Langkawi when I sail down there next week.cool.gif

Thaibazm....

Thank you for posting this. I too am VERY interested in doing some shooting in Phuket. I will be there in November with a longtime dive buddy and we would LOVE to join you on a day spear shooting and Lobster trip.

We LOVE to catch lobsters and would enjoy going with a guide who can let us do both!

If you find a company that allows / encourages spear fishing, please let us know.

Thanks!

Air

On divetrips spearfishing is not allowed.

So the option would be to hire a private boat, and plenty of options there.

Marine sanctuaries and national parks are out of bounds, so shark point (hin musang) and similans are forbidden. But racha yai and racha noi would be possible, as would any of the smaller islands closer by.

Not much spearfishing around Phuket these days. It has been over-fished and the hoards of noisy SCUBA divers

have scared the bigger fish away. But if you can get well away from the latter you might be able to spear some fish.

I recommend Nemrod hydraulic spear guns.

The shop with a fairly good collection of spear guns is next to GC Huat which is about 100 meters from the new market in Phuket Town. The lady has a few Beauchat guns but is having problems getting her shipments from Europe. I also like to spear fish and found many good places out in the offshore islands. I wish I had bought that professional wooden gun that I saw in Saipan and brought it back to Thailand with me! The guns here are quite expensive and I have found only that one shop in Thailand. I am going to check in Langkawi when I sail down there next week.cool.gif

You won't find any spearguns for sale in Langkawi. I am not sure about ones for sale in Thailand but avoid the rubber powered ones unless they are the very long ones the Aussies use. They usually make them themselves.

If you are Australian or have friends there they could bring one in for you. Alternatively you can buy the parts to make one here. The rubbers with the the end connection and V pieces, trigger mechanism and guide would weigh very little , so could be posted by air.. The wooden part and spear can be made in here.

Good luck to you - and hope to see some photos of the results; I'm an unsuccessful beach fisherman, maybe you'll have more joy away from the island.

I've only seen one 'spearfisherman' on Phuket who took a lot of people by surprise when he went into the water amongst tourists/snorkellers at Yanui beach (over hill from sth end of Nai Harn). The kayak and snorkelling gear rental blokes gave him the message. Entertaining to watch.

Happy hunting.

Thanks. I checked out that water sports shop in town but didn't have much and was pretty expensive. The Beauchat guns look pretty nice though. Probably cheapest to get some of my gear sent over from Australia.

Good luck to you - and hope to see some photos of the results; I'm an unsuccessful beach fisherman, maybe you'll have more joy away from the island.

I've only seen one 'spearfisherman' on Phuket who took a lot of people by surprise when he went into the water amongst tourists/snorkellers at Yanui beach (over hill from sth end of Nai Harn). The kayak and snorkelling gear rental blokes gave him the message. Entertaining to watch.

Happy hunting.

Lol I was there yesterday thinking it looked like a pretty decent spot for spearing. I think swimming out to the island would be the go though. Wouldn't want to spear a tourist - they probably wouldn't taste very good anyway.B)

Hi

I have never been spearing in Phuket but I heard good thing about a guy call Chai in ao sane he knows the site very well If you are looking for a spearfishing guide you won't find better.

I will be happy to hit the water with you but I'm in Trang if you or someone plan to come here contact me I go alone most of the time so will be happy to have somebody to spear with

the fish you will be looking for are red snapper, different kind of grouper, barracuda, trevally, spanish makerel, cobia... but depend on the place

last year I went fishing with some Thai guys from Phuket they told me that it was very difficult to get fish there but I saw pictures of Chai with nice size fish so go to ao sane and ask for him

in Trang there are two shops where is for sale bad quality spear gun for 10000 THB I have 2 for sale here http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/hobbies/sport-and-leisure/speargun-for-sale-69790.html

Cheers.

hi mate

gone spearing in the gulf last year. If you are good with plate size fish (300gr - 2 kg) it is haven out there. had to stop cause I couldn't eat so many fish. Any rocky

formation should produce. as said, try to stay away from the crowds.

as for the reef fish: groupers are shy but mangrove jacks try to make friends often. tiger travaley are a good catch and might come if you make clicking sounds with your mouth. large (> 1 m) garfish are found on the surface where waves hit rocks but they stink. emperors are small but delish and catching them is very easy once you see them. parrotfish is very popular (and easy) catch. myself, I fined it hard to take such beautiful fish. Its like taking the blue grouper in bondi beach. pelagic are much less reliable. I actually didn't see any.

If you are mobile there is a good store in Pattaya with a verity of guns. don't take their fishing trip though.

I am flying over again in 3 weeks and will be going for the potato groupers off koh kood. maybe this year will bring bigger fish than last.

best of luck to you.

• 1 year later...