Question On Retirement Extension

I'll be asking for another 1 year retirement extension in early December, my third or fourth one. The current extension runs out on 1-1-2011. I recently returned to Thailand after a few weeks in the UK, and so I have a stamp with permission to stay until 1-1-2011, as should be the case.

In past years I have always gone back to the UK for Christmas, but this year I will stay in Thailand. So although I should get a new retirement extension in December valid until 1-1-2012, my permission to stay stamp in the passport and on the TM6 departure card will both show 1-1-2011. As mentioned, this never bothered me in the past as I was always outside Thailand when the permission to stay expired.

What do I do about this? Can I request Immigration to give me a new permission to stay stamp until 1-1-2012 once I have the new extension in my passport? Is there any cost involved?

Thanks for any help.

I thought the new date on the visa extension was simply a 'visa valid until' date, not a permission to stay in itself? Doesn't the visa extension have to be validated in some way, as with a new stamp allowing me to stay? Just checking what it actually says, and the stamp I got at Swampy says 'Admitted until 1-1-2011'. The last retirement extension says 'Extension of stay is permitted up to 1-1-2011'. There's a subtle difference there. One is a permission to stay, the other is a permission to extend your stay, but as far as I can see, it's not an actual permission to stay itself is it? Otherwise why bother with the permission to stay stamps when we arrive here if the extension already gives you permission?

I thought the new date on the visa extension was simply a 'visa valid until' date, not a permission to stay in itself? Doesn't the visa extension have to be validated in some way, as with a new stamp allowing me to stay? Just checking what it actually says, and the stamp I got at Swampy says 'Admitted until 1-1-2011'. The last retirement extension says 'Extension of stay is permitted up to 1-1-2011'. There's a subtle difference there. One is a permission to stay, the other is a permission to extend your stay, but as far as I can see, it's not an actual permission to stay itself is it? Otherwise why bother with the permission to stay stamps when we arrive here if the extension already gives you permission?

Yes, the date on the extension is the permission to stay date.

If you leave the kingdom and don't have a re-entry permit when you return you will get either a a 30 day visa exempt stamp if arriving by air, or 15 days if arriving by land, or if you have a re-entry permit, you will be stamped in with the permission to stay date on the extension which is the same date as the one on the re-retry permit.

Edited by mxyzptlk

You are on a Temporary Extension of Permission to Stay based on Retirement until the 1 Jan 2011.

The above is not a visa valid until stamp; your visa itself probably expired a long time ago - that's why you need a re-entry permit.

When you came back to Thailand with a re-entry permit, your passport was stamped 'Admitted until' 1 Jan 2011 - this is date of the end of your Temporary Permission to Stay, as already marked in your passport.

Apply during December with the correct paperwork, etc and you will get a new Temporary Extension of Permission to Stay based on Retirement until the 1 Jan 2012.

I can't honestly say that this is getting any clearer. So when I get the new extension valid until 1-1-2012, I will still have in my passport (and on the TM6 card) a stamp saying 'Allowed to stay until 1-1-2011'. Are you saying that this is OK?

If a non-Immigration policeman wanted to see your passport, say during a routine check in a bar or whatever, would he understand this?

I can't honestly say that this is getting any clearer. So when I get the new extension valid until 1-1-2012, I will still have in my passport (and on the TM6 card) a stamp saying 'Allowed to stay until 1-1-2011'. Are you saying that this is OK?

If a non-Immigration policeman wanted to see your passport, say during a routine check in a bar or whatever, would he understand this?

No if your paperwork is ok you will get a new stamp from your local immigration saying 'Allowed to stay until 1-1-2012'.

Reading your original posting , I understand your concern because this will be the first time you apply for a further extension whilst you are already on an extension; the old extension stamp is not canceled, the new one just supersedes it.

Almost every one with continuous extensions who have not left Thailand for some time have expired admitted until stamps on their TM 6, mine currently has an admitted date of Sep 2008 on the back (last time I entered Thailand) - No problem

Edited by digitalchromakey

The older extension of stay stamps stay in your passport...new ones just get added on/stamp-in. For example, if you continue to stay in Thailand say for 3 more years by getting 3 more extensions of stay while never leaving the country, the date on the TM6 would stay Jan 11 since that is when you last entered Thailand.

The latast exension of stay stamp in your passport (not what is on the TM6 card which could be really old if you haven't left Thailand for a while) and its associated permitted to until date is the only date that counts.

OK folks, many thanks, I think I've got it now. If many of us have the same thing, as must be the case, and we are not getting arrested then it must be OK.

Thank you all for your time and trouble in replying. :)

Instead of starting a new thread, I think my question will follow nicely in trying to understand the stamps, etc.

I have/had a multi-entry Non-B, which would have expired. (While it was still valid) I got a few month extension (to end of the year) based on mariage to sort out the deposit. After the extension, I got a re-entry permit, went home, and came back. My new stamp has the same date as the extension expiry.

I understand that before I get the anual extension, if I want to leave the country I have to get another re-entry permit. But what about after that? Previously I was on a multi-entry , and I came and went as I pleased.

After the anual extension, will I then have multiple entries allowed? Or can I get a multiple entry permit?

thanks in advance

No if your paperwork is ok you will get a new stamp from your local immigration saying 'Allowed to stay until 1-1-2012'.

Different immigration offices use extensions stamps with different texts. Your local immigration office apparently uses "Allowed to stay until..." Guderian's immigration office uses "Extension of stay permitted up to...", which seems to be the most commonly used text. Another text I have seen is "Application of stay is permitted up to..."

...After the anual extension, will I then have multiple entries allowed? Or can I get a multiple entry permit? ...

You will be allowed the number of re-entries into Thailand for the number of times stated on your re-entry permit. This permit can be obtained either for a single re-entry (fee 1,000 Baht) of for multiple, ie unlimited number of, re-entries (fee 3,800 Baht). If you buy only a single re-entry permit, use it, and then later find that you need to travel again within the same extension year you are allowed to buy another single-entry permit or a multiple permit.

Different immigration offices use extensions stamps with different texts. Your local immigration office apparently uses "Allowed to stay until..." Guderian's immigration office uses "Extension of stay permitted up to...", which seems to be the most commonly used text. Another text I have seen is "Application of stay is permitted up to..."

To be pedantic, in haste I was actually paraphrasing Guderian's earlier post #6 - my bad.

For the purposes of erudition, to date my own extensions issued in Phuket have read "Application of Stay is Permitted Up To" and "Extension of Stay Permitted Up To"

Edited by digitalchromakey

...After the anual extension, will I then have multiple entries allowed? Or can I get a multiple entry permit? ...

You will be allowed the number of re-entries into Thailand for the number of times stated on your re-entry permit. This permit can be obtained either for a single re-entry (fee 1,000 Baht) of for multiple, ie unlimited number of, re-entries (fee 3,800 Baht). If you buy only a single re-entry permit, use it, and then later find that you need to travel again within the same extension year you are allowed to buy another single-entry permit or a multiple permit.

Thank you. Very concise and easy to understand.

This is similar to what I had expected. But, the first time I'm getting a one year extension, so even though I've been here quite a while, I was still unsure.

I will get my multi-reentry after my extension.