Honda Wave 110I Vs 125I

briley

I've been looking at the new Honda Wave and I like the Wave with electric start, front disc brakes and fuel injection.

But I can see little difference between the 110cc and the 125cc just electronic display, twin headlights and of course a slightly bigger engine.

Is it worth an extra 10,000 baht (25%) for such a relatively small benefit or are there other, bigger, differences?

Incidentally the prices on motorcycle.in.th seem to be a bit out of date, quoting B38,000 for the 110 and B48,500 for the 125 - but I have just looked at B41,500 for the 110 and B52,000 for the 125 - or am I looking at the wrong prices?

briley the new price may include the on the road costs, tax rego etc. I just had the same dilema. and i chose the 110i.

even 2 up the bike is fine at round town speeds not sure yet on the longer highway trips as its only done 32km's. but tmorro weather allowing i'm going to put a few more on. The bike is for my girlfriend and as a 7/11 bike. 

It seems faster than my old kawasaki kaze 110. unless you are doing longer highway trips i would save ya money. (the 110i is fully capable of longer trips just a little slower)

I want it for the two of us around town so I do not think I need the extra engine size. Lasted for the last 8 years on a 25 year old 100cc Dream.

I was wondering if I was missing some 'must have' item in the 125?

Could be correct on the price discrepancy as they did say free tax, insurance, helmet etc. Nothing is 'free'.

We went for the 110i. Its supposed to have the same HP as the 125(carb/not i). I am not sure if the 125i has more power than the 125(carb) though. We have a 125i but its older and its no more powerful than the 110i. If you are comparing prices based on the showroom prices, those prices are negotiable. You will get it for a few thousand cheaper than the price tag even with the tax and registration included. I believe we paid 39K all in. Just make sure "all in" is very clear, especially if dealing with a smaller shop, not a dealer.

On top of it, the 110i is a totally new bike from the ground up. The 125i is just the same old 125cc motor/gearbox they have been using for many years in 125 waves and dreams but they just stuck fuel injection on it.

The gear boxes in those 125s are a bit clunky and are known for sticking in neutral for a second when shifting to 3rd gear if your driving a bit hard. We have had 2, a 125(carb) and a 125i and they both do the very same 3rd gear thing. Soon as we start describing it to a shop, they interupt and say "Gear 3, chai mai?". There is nothing they can do about it, thats just what those gear box often do (when driving them a bit hard). I thought I was gonna blow them up more than once but they are built strong enough to take it! Driving hard through 1st, shift to 2nd, crank it, shift to 3rd, crank it, WHAAAAAAAAAA, red lining like it its in neutral, back off throttle, RPM comes down then it clicks engaging into 3rd without even touching the shifter.

I highly recommend the 110i over the 125i even if they were priced the same. The only negative I can say about the 110i is that it seems to be built a bit lighter/cheaper. The fit on the plastics, particularly around the taillight is not very good and the disc brake caliper is now only one piston instead of double although it does stop on a dime. I have just noticed a couple details that seem a little "cheap" about it although it has been a good bike for over a year already, even with the 2 of us up. For all I know, the single piston could actually be an upgrade since it just pushes in the centre of the pad so leaves no opportunity for the 2 pistons to push unevenly providing even less brake surface. The single piston caliper looks like its cutting corners but it does stop really well so maybe its actually more efficient.

• 3 weeks later...

We went for the 110i. Its supposed to have the same HP as the 125(carb/not i). I am not sure if the 125i has more power than the 125(carb) though. We have a 125i but its older and its no more powerful than the 110i. If you are comparing prices based on the showroom prices, those prices are negotiable. You will get it for a few thousand cheaper than the price tag even with the tax and registration included. I believe we paid 39K all in. Just make sure "all in" is very clear, especially if dealing with a smaller shop, not a dealer.

On top of it, the 110i is a totally new bike from the ground up. The 125i is just the same old 125cc motor/gearbox they have been using for many years in 125 waves and dreams but they just stuck fuel injection on it.

The gear boxes in those 125s are a bit clunky and are known for sticking in neutral for a second when shifting to 3rd gear if your driving a bit hard. We have had 2, a 125(carb) and a 125i and they both do the very same 3rd gear thing. Soon as we start describing it to a shop, they interupt and say "Gear 3, chai mai?". There is nothing they can do about it, thats just what those gear box often do (when driving them a bit hard). I thought I was gonna blow them up more than once but they are built strong enough to take it! Driving hard through 1st, shift to 2nd, crank it, shift to 3rd, crank it, WHAAAAAAAAAA, red lining like it its in neutral, back off throttle, RPM comes down then it clicks engaging into 3rd without even touching the shifter.

I highly recommend the 110i over the 125i even if they were priced the same. The only negative I can say about the 110i is that it seems to be built a bit lighter/cheaper. The fit on the plastics, particularly around the taillight is not very good and the disc brake caliper is now only one piston instead of double although it does stop on a dime. I have just noticed a couple details that seem a little "cheap" about it although it has been a good bike for over a year already, even with the 2 of us up. For all I know, the single piston could actually be an upgrade since it just pushes in the centre of the pad so leaves no opportunity for the 2 pistons to push unevenly providing even less brake surface. The single piston caliper looks like its cutting corners but it does stop really well so maybe its actually more efficient.

I've had a 125i for five years now and have never had that stuck in third gear problem. I would try a different mechanic if I were you.

Interesting comments.

I went for the 125 over the 110, partially as the seat is more comfortable for the pillion. It is a bit bigger/thicker.

I've found a big power difference between the 100 Dream I used and the 125 Wave, not that it really accelerates faster (I'm not a boy racer) but that you can pull away in 3rd or 4th without any major problems, and it goes up slopes in 2nd that the dream insisted on using 1st.

There is a difference in the shape of the 125 over the 110 Wave, it is better designed and has a better look. The shocks are shiny not matt finish.

The electronic odometer and fuel display must be worth something? Along with whatever it does for the first 3 seconds after you switch on. Not sure about opening the seat from the ignition key, it is a bit fiddly but it might be more secure. However as I leave my shopping in the front basket security in that field is not my major concern.

I've had no problem with 3rd gear but notice that you have to move the pedal further to get the gear change than the wave which can make for a problem for long legs, they sort of don't bend enough! I find this particularly true changing into 1st gear.

I do not like the fact that the basket does not move with the front wheel, makes it more awkward for parking.

The good news is I have people queuing up to buy the old dream. They all say the engine is so much stronger and they do not want the new bikes. Not managed to make anyone give an actual figure as to what they will pay ................. (I need to keep it for the moment until I get my wing 41 sticker for the new bike.)

Is it worth 10,000 more? Depends on the misses, she says it is so as always it is SWMBO.

• 2 months later...

I am looking to buy a Wave, I had a bottom of the range 90cc for 2 1/2 years and nothing went wrong. I see nothing wrong with drum brakes and a kick start, not that I am a cheapskate, which I am, but have other reasons.

Drum brakes are less efficient in the wet, to me that is good, I fear a front wheel skid in the wet. Kick starting a small bike is easy and less to go wrong.

I would rather spend the extra on a good helmet...anyone know which is the coolest in this hot climate, the cheap ones are unbearable?

I am looking to buy a Wave, I had a bottom of the range 90cc for 2 1/2 years and nothing went wrong. I see nothing wrong with drum brakes and a kick start, not that I am a cheapskate, which I am, but have other reasons.

Drum brakes are less efficient in the wet, to me that is good, I fear a front wheel skid in the wet. Kick starting a small bike is easy and less to go wrong.

I would rather spend the extra on a good helmet...anyone know which is the coolest in this hot climate, the cheap ones are unbearable?

REAL helmets are ok.. they are also the only Thai produced helmet that are approved (thai owned company)

One way to stay cooler is to to wear a coolmax skull cap under your helmet.. You would be surprised how well they work. I have the HJC one's.

• 7 months later...

Its supposed to have the same HP as the 125(carb/not i). I am not sure if the 125i has more power than the 125(carb) though. We have a 125i but its older and its no more powerful than the 110i.

No it hasn't. The 110 is 8.3HP, the 125 9.3HP - (they always tell you what you want to hear, you know). The 125 also has a fair amount more torque at the bottom end as well as a higher comp ratio than the 110, plus there's poke over 100kph. There is little in performance between the carb and injected motor on the 125, though the latter is more fuel efficient and is smoother... no flat spots. In addition, you could also run the 'i' on ethanol whereas it would eat up the o rings in the carb. I'd posit reason you're not feeling the loss in power is a) you're not driving the 125 right, B) your 125 is screwed or c) you've convinced yourself there is no difference just like the many others that think they're getting all the power and a better deal. :whistling:

The 125i is just the same old 125cc motor/gearbox they have been using for many years in 125 waves and dreams but they just stuck fuel injection on it.

Actually they've done a lot to that 'same old' set up and it still... WORKS! ;)

• 1 month later...

No it hasn't. The 110 is 8.3HP, the 125 9.3HP - (they always tell you what you want to hear, you know). The 125 also has a fair amount more torque at the bottom end as well

Have looked everywhere - where did you find these specs?

110i electric 7kg lighter than 125i ...

seat height 18 mm less,

ground clearance 4 mm less,

wheelbase 18 mm less,

supplied tires are larger on the 110i.

Guessing the resale value on the 125 is better if you can sell to a Thai - they seem to prefer these ... => Cost of Ownership may be slightly higher for the 125i.

Need fuel economy specs to round this out ...

Obb

• 3 weeks later...

Hello posted this on other topic but maybe of interest here also.

Also had the same dilemma choosing between the 110i or 125i.... I knew i was after a scooter,did not want auto click or anything completely auto which left me not a lot of options when entering the Honda dealer here on koh phangan.Having been a rider of motor bikes since the age of 12, being a member of a Motor Cross team (amateur level) trials events also on a Cotton 175cc( just felt my age then) on road bikes large and small last owned here in Thailand a Honda XR400 i was hardly excited about buying a scooter. So then i had my options in front of me the 110i PGM-F1... 3 colors only in stock black,red blue all not electric with start...price of 39,000 baht inc number plates,tax,helmet and a honda jacket this was for a cash deal. In the background was a white 125i PGM-F1 not electric with a price tag of 52,500 baht. I kept looking and looking,going back to the 110i,back to the 125i....and have to say i was confused. When i asked for the deal on the 125i (cash deal again) on the road everything 49,500 baht when i asked do they have electric start i was told 2 months waiting list. It's a 10,500 baht difference (This is koh phangan by the way) so price will be different as in Bkk or for me a better option of Suratthani...but 10,500 baht that's over £200 difference as good as 20% more for pretty much the same bike apart from as mentioned height,length,ground clearance, 15cc more power etc.So ok i am western male with money,but i was really thinking is it worth it??? To a thai national or someone looking after the pennies (Satangs) it does not seem to make sense... I did not test ride either models,to be honest i never even sat on any of them,but did the deal for the 125i PGM-F1 purely on i liked the color of the white looking scooter better unsure.gif I purchased the bike as said for 49,500baht cash on 22nd october 2011 on the road price.I will of course be running her in untill the 1,000km is reached and has it's 1st oil change etc,but after pulling away from the dealer a smile came,10kms on the clock later i stopped off to watch the Rugby my smile still on..it's not bad rolleyes.gif Leaving to ride for home i went the long way and again i thought this rides quite nicely,sitting up nice and high,very light steering,and so quiet.. At 60-70 kms it just feels like it would go all day all night... Interesting fuel figures given at ready for this..... 56kms per litre rolleyes.gif that's 160 miles per gallon for us old boys.... will let you know what it really gets,on purchase it only came with fuel reading 2 bars and 0.4kms on the clock ( Come on Honda surely a full tank on purchase would not hurt) so after less than 1km i filled her up with 100 baht (full) i have now done 128kms and still reading 3 bars(it's computer led reading) . I guess i will never know if i had purchased the 110i if i would have the same pleasant feelings and saved myself 10,500 baht, i will try to ride a new 110i just to see.... i know many local people who just would not pay the difference,and i am sure one of these who goes for the 110i i can test ride it in time. So far i am happy with what i got...It is WHITE after all rolleyes.gif the color to have apparently,with wind in the hair,flies in your face motorbike feeling with 3years Guarantee for a little over £1000 . Also noticed that Honda have stopped production for 6 Months.... there are hardly any new bikes here on koh phangan now!! And as if we are likely to get any here when it gets going again,makes me think Honda in the south are in for a hard time......... Off topic but my thoughts are with you all in troubled times,to the ones who have lost lives RIP... Thinking of you all from here in the south....... good luck to all kind regards jason

Edited by kohphangan

• 1 month later...

I just recently bought the 110i Wave. I looked at both the 125 and 110. I took both on local test rides. Of course not a lot can be determined in 1km or so but I can say that the 125 had a slight,(I mean slight) bit more low end torque. But over all road worthiness was the same so I would defer to the 110 as the 125 IMHO is not worth the extra 10K baht more. I ride my 110i very hard and hold speeds of 85 to 100 frequently. I have found that the moto is reasonably stable at these speeds but the rear shocks leave a lot to be desired and have no spring load adjustment capability. I am looking at something aftermarket. Showa makes a few kits. Overall it is a breeze to ride and is comfortable on long treks. I actually enjoy riding it as much as my big bike. I just wish they offered a bit better rubber but I do realize that probably 95% of these are bought to go to the market and back at 30 to 50kms.

• 3 months later...

I'm curious how much the 2012 Wave 110i actually goes for. I was thinking of picking one up as a fuel-friendly alternative to the car. As it will be a 2nd vehicle and used only when convenient to do so, I want it very basic -- kick start, etc.

I noticed at a web site called Thai Motorcycle (or something like that) a Wave 110i with kick start and front disc brakes is listed at 36,000 baht, and I'm assuming that there will be other charges like tax and perhaps a pre-delivery inspection/set up. I understand that it's also common to arrange one's registration and insurance through the dealer when purchasing a new motorbike.

So, I guess what I really want to know is how much people have paid recently as an "all in" price for a 4 speed Wave 110i (as described above).

I'm curious how much the 2012 Wave 110i actually goes for. I was thinking of picking one up as a fuel-friendly alternative to the car. As it will be a 2nd vehicle and used only when convenient to do so, I want it very basic -- kick start, etc.

I noticed at a web site called Thai Motorcycle (or something like that) a Wave 110i with kick start and front disc brakes is listed at 36,000 baht, and I'm assuming that there will be other charges like tax and perhaps a pre-delivery inspection/set up. I understand that it's also common to arrange one's registration and insurance through the dealer when purchasing a new motorbike.

So, I guess what I really want to know is how much people have paid recently as an "all in" price for a 4 speed Wave 110i (as described above).

i dont think you can still buy a wave for that cheap ,36k doesnt go far in a honda dealership thesedays

ive read of people paying over 50k for them on this forum

i dont think you can still buy a wave for that cheap ,36k doesnt go far in a honda dealership thesedays

ive read of people paying over 50k for them on this forum

Thanks for the info. There's no way in the world that I would pay anybody 50K for a 110 Honda Wave (or a 110 Honda anything, for that matter). I truly believe that people who have paid that much have been ripped off. Hopefully, some members who have actually bought one recently will tell us what price is realistic . Like I said, I don't expect to pay only 36,000 and ride one out of the showroom, but the difference between, let's say...39K and over 50K is quite a lot.

I went to a motorcycle dealership yesterday outside of Pattaya, and was quoted 40500 for a 2012 Wave 110i -- kick start / front disc brakes / 4-speed. The person there said they would discount it 500 baht. Another 1000 was added for 1 year of insurance and a deposit of 200 baht for the red plate, so they said I could drive it away for 41,200.

It would be really nice to hear from someone who has recently purchased one of these (in the Pattaya area, especially) to know if this is a decent deal.

Try the Si Racha Honda dealer close to Pattaya , a couple of TV members have saved 7500bht on PCX from them (compared to Pattaya), should be more competitive on waves I would imagine

Phone number for them: 038-345732, 345833, 346150

Try the Si Racha Honda dealer close to Pattaya , a couple of TV members have saved 7500bht on PCX from them (compared to Pattaya), should be more competitive on waves I would imagine

Phone number for them: 038-345732, 345833, 346150

Thanks for the info, and particularly the phone numbers. After I finish talking to them, I'll post the price quote they give me.

• 9 months later...