Bmw / Merc Reliability

corkman

Since I have been living here, I have had the discussion with several friends and colleagues about cars etc. and they all seem to have had bad exeriences with BMW's.

The general consensus is that they continuously breakdown and are extremely expensive to repair ...... and it is realtively serious complaints, not just a dodgy fuse or something.

Out of general curiosity, is this something to do with how cars are put together in these parts, or is it perhaps that german engineering doesn't suit the tropics???

Is there a similar trend with Mercedes?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used ones over 5-6 years old would have a few problems, and the older ones would be really bad to upkeep. Same as any car on the roads once they get old. And by older, I mean 10 years or so!

I find it very hard to believe BMWs and Mercs purchased new would have problems, just like any car on the roads again, except the odd lemon or two.

So your friends have old cars or don't know what they are talking about.

do they have BMW's or they just talk about it?

Yes, they either have one, or have had one.

Used ones over 5-6 years old would have a few problems, and the older ones would be really bad to upkeep. Same as any car on the roads once they get old. And by older, I mean 10 years or so!

I find it very hard to believe BMWs and Mercs purchased new would have problems, just like any car on the roads again, except the odd lemon or two.

Yes, I would agree that it is incredulous that any new car, much less a merc of beemer, would have serious problems if purchased new, however your assumptions are wrong.

Two examples that spring to mind are:

3.25i (I think) - bought from new, its about 5 years old, with less than 40k on the clock.

X5 3.0d - bought from new, its about 3-4 years old, but high mileage 150k+.

Both cars are owned and driven by expats, and they are maintained properly. They are continuously in the garage for repairs.

Another guy I previsouly had a 3 series, again bought new, and had alot of trouble - so he "traded down" for an Accord and hasn't looked back since.

do they have BMW's or they just talk about it?

Yes, they either have one, or have had one.

Yes, I would agree that it is incredulous that any new car, much less a merc of beemer, would have serious problems if purchased new, however your assumptions are wrong.

Two examples that spring to mind are:

3.25i (I think) - bought from new, its about 5 years old, with less than 40k on the clock.

X5 3.0d - bought from new, its about 3-4 years old, but high mileage 150k+.

Both cars are owned and driven by expats, and they are maintained properly. They are continuously in the garage for repairs.

Another guy I previsouly had a 3 series, again bought new, and had alot of trouble - so he "traded down" for an Accord and hasn't looked back since.

Cant go wrong with Hondas or Toyotas over here, cheap and reliable. cheap to maintain and can fix anywhere in Thailand. if what you say about BMWs then that is very poor especially for the money they cost!

Mercedes had a serious problem with its electronic components in early 2000. Apparently, it was laid at the footsetps of Bosch, but I don't know. I can give a long list of defects on my car like airbag sensor defect, automatic window failure,, lighting system failures, light array failures, electronic ingition defect etc.. It seems that for 2 years, my head lamp bulbs burnt out every 3 months. Thing is, and you experts can correct me is that many of the electronic component suppliers to Mercedes also supplied BMW. All I know is that the service bills for a BMW once it comes off warranty are ridiculous, according to my colleagues that have BMWs. One thing I have observed about both makes is that the BMW is an equal opportunity screw up. There is no specific part of the vehicle that is prone to failure, it just fails and you are stuck with a nasty bill. However, with Mercedes, it's always been certain component classes, like the electronics or the catalytic converter.

Mercedes had a serious problem with its electronic components in early 2000. Apparently, it was laid at the footsetps of Bosch, but I don't know. I can give a long list of defects on my car like airbag sensor defect, automatic window failure,, lighting system failures, light array failures, electronic ingition defect etc.. It seems that for 2 years, my head lamp bulbs burnt out every 3 months. Thing is, and you experts can correct me is that many of the electronic component suppliers to Mercedes also supplied BMW. All I know is that the service bills for a BMW once it comes off warranty are ridiculous, according to my colleagues that have BMWs. One thing I have observed about both makes is that the BMW is an equal opportunity screw up. There is no specific part of the vehicle that is prone to failure, it just fails and you are stuck with a nasty bill. However, with Mercedes, it's always been certain component classes, like the electronics or the catalytic converter.

That catalogue of failures is quite similar to what my freinds / colleagues have described.

I'm a bit pedantic to be honest, and I like the things I own to work...... so if say the back left electric window doesn't work, even though I will never sit there, and in thailand it will probably never be opened, I'd still have to get it fixed...... and I don't appologize for that, it should work and its as simple as that. Now, everything breaks eventually, and once in a while there can be an out-of-the ordinary issue with any make or model of car..... but it seems to me that anyone I ask that has a beemer or merc comes up with the same commentry that they are just simply no reliable. I mean, sure, they come with a 5yr warranty an if naything goes wrong they'll sort it out - but that's not much use to me if we get up early on a Saturday morning to drive to Hua Hin for the weekend and my weekend is spoiled - for me, a vehicle should be reliable and dependable - as I read in another thread recently "I do not wanted to be owned by the vehicle".

That being said, I know of a couple of people that are on their second or third 5-series...... no compliants there......

Well I have a 520d, reg in 2007 and its probably one of the best cars that I have ever had. Came with a five year warranty (everything except battery and tyres). I don't pay for the engine oil change, brake pads or even break discs . It's for sale now as I am getting the new model.........excellent car and they come with a really high specification.

Having recently driven both the new E class Merc and the 5-series BMW, to me the BMW is far superior.

BMW fended off the competition, including Honda, to take their place at the top of the Fleet News reliability survey as the most reliable company car manufacturer.

Fleet News is a sister publication of the well respected car guide, Parker's, and the annual survey covers 840,000 cars from 50 of the biggest UK contract hire companies.

Manufacturers were graded by counting the number of vehicles on a fleet per 1,000 that broke down.

BMW received the same points as Honda yet more companies voted for BMW as first placed manufacturer.

Most reliable car manufacturers: 1. BMW 2. Honda 3. Audi 4. Toyota 5. Volkswagen 6. Mercedes-Benz 7. Ford 8. Mazda 9. Nissan 10. Skoda

Location: New Jersey Join Date: Dec 2009Posts: 9 Mein auto: X5View My Garageicon4.gifBMW's The Predicted Reliability is Horrible and Significantly Below The Competition According to Consumer Reports Best Cars, SUVs and Trucks for 2010, most BMWs were ranked among the least reliable in just about every class and category. The predicted reliability is horrible and significantly below the competition. For instance, major problems with engine, cooling, transmission, and drive system have been reported and compared to other manufactures. There is a reason why BMW offers free maintenance for the first 50K or first four years of ownership, and pushes the extended warranty. Imagine if it had a poor warranty offering? Who in their right mind would buy a new BMW.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">What happened to BMW?<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">It seems that BMW has lost their goal of manufacturing sound and reliable cars. As a BMW owner, this is extremely disappointing. I love BMW, but I will not buy another BMW unless the company turns things around. Furthermore, the X5 is ranked among the lowest in its class and ranked dead last or #17 in the US News Rankings of Automobiles (). Could this be because the X series is manufactured in the USA. It's not truly German.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">What are your thoughts and theories about why BMW is loosing their edge in the market. It seems that they are joining the American cars.

Strange how there is so much contradictory evidence about BMW reliability . . . . . Their big bikes also have serious probs with reliability (just google and it's easy to find many disillusioned and bitter owners ) yet there are some who cover enormous miles quite happily, or so they say, is it the love affair with the status symbol and machine that blinds them, are they in denial ? :unsure:

Came with a five year warranty (everything except battery and tyres). I don't pay for the engine oil change, brake pads or even break discs.

These services are not free...they were priced into the cost of the car when you bought it...just like the "guaranteed" returns on condos and vacation properties...these "returns" are priced into the original condo price.

BMWs always had that reputation in the States...and this was when they were all imported from Germany...not assembled by "Bubba 6-pack" somewhere in Alabama. Can't imagine that the BMW kits assembled in Thailand are anywhere near the quality of those assembled in Germany.

Why any farang [understand the Thais crave the status] would buy a BMW/Merc over a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord in Thailand is beyond me.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I have an E46 and had the cooling system failure. This repair cost me 130.000 THB. If I knew what I know now I would have done preventive maintenance when I bought it. On below site you can find the common issues with the E46.

http://www.windigoau...onProblems.html

:(

How old was your car?

5 years and just 80K. It really is a design error same as for the window regulator failure and rear subframe cracking.

I have to say that it is a great car to drive but apparently sensitive for correct maintenance when reading the Bimmer forums here and there. And I agree when comparing a Merc and Bimmer in a side by side the Bimmer just feels better.

:)

Branding bullsh1t for both models checkout jd power surveys on new cars and its the japanese at the top of the pile for reliability

BMWs always had that reputation in the States...and this was when they were all imported from Germany...not assembled by "Bubba 6-pack" somewhere in Alabama. Can't imagine that the BMW kits assembled in Thailand are anywhere near the quality of those assembled in Germany.

Why any farang [understand the Thais crave the status] would buy a BMW/Merc over a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord in Thailand is beyond me.

Same as anywhere "look at me syndrome" more money than sense.

Ex girlfriend bought a new bmw 1 broke down the first day it wouldnt start , 3 months later water squirters on the front packed up bmw said she MUST use screenwash or this will happen..............what tripe what do they think she is using old sewer water full of crap??? Cut along story short they blew out the pipewrok and cleared the blockage and said next time it will be £120.............within 6 weeks and using screenwash same problem and it keeps reocurring, now I just blow down one of the pipes and clear it, it lasts about 2-3 months before needs doing again and obviosuly had some crud in it from NEW, its all marketing an bull same as most brands now.

>>Why any farang [understand the Thais crave the status] would buy a BMW/Merc over a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord in Thailand is beyond me.

Some people enjoy driving hard and appreciate a car that feels and handles better than a Honda or Toyota looks or status be damned. Some people appreciate driving a car because they like the car, not that they give a sh** about what anyone else thinks.

>>Why any farang [understand the Thais crave the status] would buy a BMW/Merc over a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord in Thailand is beyond me.

Some people enjoy driving hard and appreciate a car that feels and handles better than a Honda or Toyota looks or status be damned. Some people appreciate driving a car because they like the car, not that they give a sh** about what anyone else thinks.

This might make some sense in Germany (where there is an autobahn, where you could actually put these cars through their paces) or other countries where there are extensive and well maintained road networks. But in Thailand, with few such roads, extensive seasonal flooding, and potholes that would swallow a V-W Beetle, it just doesn't add-up for me.

However, there are many people who think like you by the numbers of these models being driven by foreigners so there must be something to it. For me, a vehicle is just a hunk of metal and glass that gets me safety and comfortably from point "A" to point "B," and Hondas and Toyotas do that just fine :)

right you are. i must have been out of my freaking mind when i bought these two :lol:

post-35218-0-86123700-1288581572_thumb.j

That's why I drive Honda! :-)

right you are. i must have been out of my freaking mind when i bought these two :lol:

Nice if you have the money then why not. hel_l, if I had the money I would drive an Aston.

Nice if you have the money then why not. hel_l, if I had the money I would drive an Aston.

Nice cars Naam.

Onnut...I don't think I would. Bill Gates could certainly afford any car in the world (or a hundred) but drives a Lexus.

No one like Merc's then or the vid not open.!!

Brilliant cars! Have a 1977 300D, extremely reliable and cheap parts.

Lucky old you :) . . . .a handsome looking car, over thirty years old. Reliable I can believe, but surely parts for such an old car must be very difficult to source, and as for being cheap, why would they be cheap, I thought scarcity would push the price up, not so ?

BMW and Benz use state of the art parts and tech to create their cars. . These solutions have been tested, but for a limited time. Some problems may occure, but driving them is another world compared to japs.

Camry and Accord use 3-7 year old tech to create their cars. Reliable but not very exciting. Inexpensive, I d say in Thailand cheap, cause most parts are thai made, and of course thai essambled. Performs drives and handles ALMOST as the Germans, but if you want state of the art saloons you pay a price in reliability and purchase price.

The Germans 5 year service package does not cover repairs not mentioned in service agreement, like autotrans, engine, etc.

No one like Merc's then or the vid not open.!!

Brilliant cars! Have a 1977 300D, extremely reliable and cheap parts.

Lucky old you :) . . . .a handsome looking car, over thirty years old. Reliable I can believe, but surely parts for such an old car must be very difficult to source, and as for being cheap, why would they be cheap, I thought scarcity would push the price up, not so ?

Had it for four years now. Everything that has been needed has arrived within 24 hours from Bangkok at reasonable prices. There seems to be a plentifull supply of original, copy and secondhand parts. Before I obtained the thing it was my fear but no problems so far.