Seven Magnificent Farangs In Thailand

george

Seven Magnificent Farangs in Thailand

Two well known English-language magazines published in Thailand have listed the names of the most well-known people in contemporary Thai society. Expat Society (2010-2011) came up with the names of 300 foreigners who, in some way or another, have contributed to the development of Thailand, while The Magazine (October 28, 2010, Issue 174), a Bangkok Post publication, had an extensive article of the seven most influential living Thais.

Following this trend, as a journalist with a special interest in literature and art produced by farangs in Thailand, I have put together my own list of seven foreigners who, in my opinion, lead a life that is a great source of inspiration for everyone out there interested in all things Thai. It is worth mentioning that I have read, listed to, or seen all of these seven magnificent foreigners’ work and greatly appreciate it.

Full story: http://www.simandan.com/?p=1795

do we get a follow up with

Seven Magnificent Blackmen in Thailand

and

Seven Magnificent Chinamen in Thailand

Why?

Seriously why? If I am discussing white people why do I need to redress the balance and discuss other races when they were not part of the conversation, If I say Fernando Torres is a word class footballer, do I then have to also name a black player? and if I don't name a black player am I racist?

and

Why?

Seriously why? If I am discussing white people why do I need to redress the balance and discuss other races when they were not part of the conversation, If I say Fernando Torres is a word class footballer, do I then have to also name a black player? and if I don't name a black player am I racist?

Because i am interested. I would like to know who are the Asian big player here.

And why separate the foreigners or expats into their races at all? And this 'farang' list probably covers only the English speaking magnificent ones. that is as very limited focus.

and

Why?

Because i am interested. I would like to know who are the Asian big player here.

And why separate the foreigners or expats into their races at all? And this 'farang' list probably covers only the English speaking magnificent ones. that is as very limited focus.

Why not separate? If the article is discussing one group of people then just accept that is what the article is discussing, I am sure there are articles out there about chinese impact in Thailand, or Japanese impact in Thailand. The article is written for its market audience.

Do you thin every article ever written should include all races and nationalities, can't they just focus on one race or nationality based on who their target audience is? Saying these westerners have made an impact in Thailand does not mean they are saying other races and nationalities have not made an impact. It is only people trying to play the race card would even look at the article that way, I feel you are trying to imply subliminal racism here when none exists.

I am sure there is a Japanese magazine somewhere that talks about Japanese influence in Thailand without mentioning other races or nationalities, that is nothing to get upset about, that magazine is aimed at Japanese people who want to read about Japanese people.

edit to add that the writer of the article is Romanian, not a western speaker, his number one on the list is French.

Edited by random

Did you read the article? The VERY FIRST one is French.

Well - if he can speak English, even as French he falls in this category :D :D :D

Yes, he translates Thai into ENGLISH.

and

Why?

Why not separate? If the article is discussing one group of people then just accept that is what the article is discussing, I am sure there are articles out there about chinese impact in Thailand, or Japanese impact in Thailand. The article is written for its market audience.

Do you thin every article ever written should include all races and nationalities, can't they just focus on one race or nationality based on who their target audience is? Saying these westerners have made an impact in Thailand does not mean they are saying other races and nationalities have not made an impact. It is only people trying to play the race card would even look at the article that way, I feel you are trying to imply subliminal racism here when none exists.

I am sure there is a Japanese magazine somewhere that talks about Japanese influence in Thailand without mentioning other races or nationalities, that is nothing to get upset about, that magazine is aimed at Japanese people who want to read about Japanese people.

And what?

I just said i would like to know who are the other magnificent ones, the ones with a different cultural background.

What some posters here seem to forget is that the list of "Seven Magnificent Farangs in Thailand" is a personal list. As such you cannot argue too much about the people on it as it's a personal opinion with some reasoning as to why. That's more than I can say about some other comments here ;)

The longer lists published by two well known English-language magazines may contain a larger variety of persons. Search and you may find :)

Edited by rubl

and

Why?

Sergiy is a Political Correctness say exactly as i allow extremist, in his world if you dont think and say as he .. youre racist

and

what about 7 magnificent pissheads------

1. me

2. that bloke with a red nose in maggiemays

3. jack in shenanigans

4. forgot what i was doing---------time for last hour happy hour shenns then toss the boss

Oh dear!!!

I only needed to look at the title. I am not sure if i will read much more.

It says these foreigners were an inspiration to Thailand, then just type cast them as 'FARUNG'.

If ever a time to use polite language, when you are congratulating people, they use a term that many foreigners are offended by.

Edited by t36ony

I am breaking here my own promise to myself when I started reading forum. I told myself I would never get involved in arguments or complain or criticize. But here I go anyway. I will not use name but it seems a person here already complains and criticize before he even read this article. What is the point of that? Is this is what is meant by troll? Sometimes I turn on forum in morning, and this man has just written posting. Usually several. Then sometimes I do it in afternoon and same thing. Nighttime too. Is it possible more than one person using same name. I do not see how as have to give email. Perhaps this man is disabled or invalid and cannot leave house and in that case I apologize and am sorry. It is possible this man is not even in Thailand. it is very beautiful country and now the weather is cool and ver ypleasant. it is good to get outside and walk around if you can and live life. Maybe he has laptop and carried it everywhere. Somehow this depressed me and I am not sure why.

Anyway as to topic I am happy farang here are mentioned in a positive way instead of usual stories of criminals and perverts. Whether maybe someone else should be on list is not important. I know there are more than 7 farang who help Thailand. They cannot all be on list.

I only recognized Andy Biggs' name. :o I need to get out more and associate with the hoi poilloi :)

Congrats to the people that merit the recognition and it is wonderful to read of their positive accomplishments. Beats reading about the usual foreigner crimes. There are good foreigners living in the country and if some people moved away from the bar & hooker sois they would see that. My only complaint is that they failed to mention the health science sector. However, what's a thread without a bit of whine.......

I am breaking here my own promise to myself when I started reading forum. I told myself I would never get involved in arguments or complain or criticize. But here I go anyway. I will not use name but it seems a person here already complains and criticize before he even read this article. What is the point of that? Is this is what is meant by troll? Sometimes I turn on forum in morning, and this man has just written posting. Usually several. Then sometimes I do it in afternoon and same thing. Nighttime too. Is it possible more than one person using same name. I do not see how as have to give email. Perhaps this man is disabled or invalid and cannot leave house and in that case I apologize and am sorry. It is possible this man is not even in Thailand. it is very beautiful country and now the weather is cool and ver ypleasant. it is good to get outside and walk around if you can and live life. Maybe he has laptop and carried it everywhere. Somehow this depressed me and I am not sure why.

Anyway as to topic I am happy farang here are mentioned in a positive way instead of usual stories of criminals and perverts. Whether maybe someone else should be on list is not important. I know there are more than 7 farang who help Thailand. They cannot all be on list.

I must agree with the first paragraph of your post. Many of us are tired of it. We actually try to answer peoples questions and help, not just post nonsense. I've had enough of that..

Back to the topic and the title: Why use farang in the title? Just because it is the Thai word for western foreigner. Why not just say westerner as that is the translation for ฝรั่ง... And congratulations to those westerners who where recognized..

Is it coincidence that all but one are journalists.I can think of other people that have contributed more to Thailand.

Of course not, the writer of the blog is a writer and journalist, these are the people he admires. Not sure why one dude's blog is in the news section instead of general or the farang pub

It was nice to read a article about Farongs contributing to the country. Refreshing. and bonus I got a good web site for traveling in Thailand.

It was only one man's opinion but he is a man who is active here in Thailand and meets lots of people. I am sure it would have been different if he had just read resume's but he used people he has first hand knowledge of. Bonus.

I see the word Farong is used here. I have never been sure weather it is a slur or just another name for a white foreigner. For my self I don't mind. Any other opinions :jap:

Edited by jayjay0

"Seven Magnificent Farangs In Thailand"

The private opinion of one single, rather young, Romanian journalist and writer, 32, is worth the news section on Thaivisa ?

The opinion of Mr. Şimăndan is based upon his own education, experiences and marriage to a Thai Lady, not his impressive experience about and in Thailand during many decades.

A Poll amongst longtime expats, business men as well as politicians, bankers and intellectuals from all corners of the world, with a lot of insight in/about Thailand and it's history would, no doubt, bring a totally different list.

Not just the opinion by one man.

That's silly, although he has every right to find those men "magnificent Farang"

But I'm sure there are many other members who know magnificent other Farangs in Thailand; worth mentioning.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo