2011 Kawasaki Versys Has Arrived In Thailand!

BigBikeBKK

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Engine guards look great

White looks stunning :P

Thanks guys- glad you like those pics. Here are a couple more:

sdc13748SSR.jpg

sdc13746SSR.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Nice job Tony!! Where did you buy your sidebags (givi?)?

Oh, sorry for any confusion, that's not my Versys. Mine is red and other than the Arrow exhaust and different tires it's pretty much stock. Cheers! Tony

110610VersysCampgroundSSR.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Aha..........so does anybody knows were to buy the sidebags and what they cost?

side bags or panniers????????

panniers from http://www.thaimotorbox.com/. he has the Givi racks topboxes and panniers

and side bags from http://www.mocycshop.com/

amongst others.

waterproof canoe bags and motorcycle back packs http://www.feelfreekayak.com/products/waterproof/. B)

Edited by thaicbr

Just some notes / updates

- Went on a 4 day trip with some Thai friends, had a blast, Versys performed spectacularly. In the rain, at night, in the twisties, on dirt, on occasional bad roads, and through the odd random HUGE pothole - the Versys made it all a breeze.

- It seems it's now properly broken in at some 2,800 kms, fuel economy ranges from 18.5 km / l to 16 km / l, depending on riding style and circumstances. Fine with me!

- Pulled my first proper wheelie today - scary as fuc_k. I always lift the wheel off the ground a little bit on energetic starts. But this morning I gave it a full twist and the front wheel went up 45 degrees. Woo hoo. As has been mentioned, it's actually very easy on this bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Went on a 4 day trip with some Thai friends, had a blast, Versys performed spectacularly. In the rain, at night, in the twisties, on dirt, on occasional bad roads, and through the odd random HUGE pothole - the Versys made it all a breeze.

- It seems it's now properly broken in at some 2,800 kms, fuel economy ranges from 18.5 km / l to 16 km / l, depending on riding style and circumstances. Fine with me!

- Pulled my first proper wheelie today - scary as fuc_k. I always lift the wheel off the ground a little bit on energetic starts. But this morning I gave it a full twist and the front wheel went up 45 degrees. Woo hoo. As has been mentioned, it's actually very easy on this bike.

Is the gear ratio different to the ER6N/650R ? and offhand do you know how many teeth are on the front and back sprockets, oh and is it on a 520 chain..thxs

Is the gear ratio different to the ER6N/650R ? and offhand do you know how many teeth are on the front and back sprockets, oh and is it on a 520 chain..thxs

Sprockets and chain are same, but the transmission on the Versys KLE650 is geared quite a bit lower than the E6n/Ninja 650R EX650.

I'm having a hard time finding the actual gear ratios online...

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Sprockets and chain are same, but the transmission on the Versys KLE650 is geared quite a bit lower than the E6n/Ninja 650R EX650.

I'm having a hard time finding the actual gear ratios online...

Ride On!

Tony

Cheers T,

just wondered as the 650r isn`t that easy to pop up really...BTW, your gixer looks good with the new facelift, kudos, oh and off topic slightly, i see RB has way discounted that 09 gsxr they have in stock...i presume they got a call from suzuki HQ after their official big bike entry into thailand...does that one have full power and the mode switch, K9 or K10???

@husskydog - yeah the first gear is extremely short on the Versys and the engine is set up for low RPM torque hence tendency to wheelie in 1st (clutchless)... while the versys is supposed to have the same engine as the ER-6n/f, the setup makes it feel completely different. I'd actually like to find a technical explanation of what they did, and why it has the effect that it does.

@husskydog - yeah the first gear is extremely short on the Versys and the engine is set up for low RPM torque hence tendency to wheelie in 1st (clutchless)... while the versys is supposed to have the same engine as the ER-6n/f, the setup makes it feel completely different. I'd actually like to find a technical explanation of what they did, and why it has the effect that it does.

It's because, as you noted, the first gear is shorter in the Versys, and because the Versys engine uses different cams than the EX650 engine which gives the KLE650 engine more torque (but less top end) than the EX650 engine. Cheers! Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering buying a Versys or an ER6n. I'm leaning towards the versys but the only slight question mark is over the footrests. When the bike is stationary and feet on the floor they seem to dig into your calves a bit. Has anyone found that a problem? I've only sat on the one at Kawa CM, no test ride yet.

Thanks

I'm considering buying a Versys or an ER6n. I'm leaning towards the versys but the only slight question mark is over the footrests. When the bike is stationary and feet on the floor they seem to dig into your calves a bit. Has anyone found that a problem? I've only sat on the one at Kawa CM, no test ride yet.

Thanks

Hmmm, 7000km on the odometer and haven't noticed any pain in the calves... The Versys is a very narrow bike and I'm a bit vertically challenged ;)

110710VersysGasStopSSR.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

They do dig into your calves a bit but I can't say this is a problem... I ride the bike every day in the city, no issues with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally upgraded the suspension with Hyperpro springs - 11k for back and front. Managed to make the ride way worse than before by telling the Kawa mechanic to make it "hard". That resulted in the bike riding like a Buffalo, jumping over the slightest bumps and nearly throwing me off on some occasions; the front wasn't unsafe, just really uncomfortable. Amazing what the wrong suspension settings can do!

I returned to the Kawa shop and had all the settings set back to recommended values, and now it's great. Hyperpro shocks make the ride feel better, plus the purple spring looks hot, I'd get it for that alone (YSS take note, I was thinking about a YSS rear shock but it only comes in boring black....).

Upgraded the tires to Diablo Supercorsa SC and yeah... wow, what a huge difference to the BT021. These things just have the grip! For the first time owning an ER-6 bike, I now have a rear brake. Whereas before the ABS would engage under any kind of harder braking on the back, the supercorsas are so sticky that they actually slow the bike down... The front brake is even better.

So I thought this would just be for added confidence in corners, but what's much more noticeable is better acceleration / deceleration as these rubbers just stick to the ground. Amazing.

I finally upgraded the suspension with Hyperpro springs - 11k for back and front. Managed to make the ride way worse than before by telling the Kawa mechanic to make it "hard". That resulted in the bike riding like a Buffalo, jumping over the slightest bumps and nearly throwing me off on some occasions; the front wasn't unsafe, just really uncomfortable. Amazing what the wrong suspension settings can do!

I returned to the Kawa shop and had all the settings set back to recommended values, and now it's great. Hyperpro shocks make the ride feel better, plus the purple spring looks hot, I'd get it for that alone (YSS take note, I was thinking about a YSS rear shock but it only comes in boring black....).

Upgraded the tires to Diablo Supercorsa SC and yeah... wow, what a huge difference to the BT021. These things just have the grip! For the first time owning an ER-6 bike, I now have a rear brake. Whereas before the ABS would engage under any kind of harder braking on the back, the supercorsas are so sticky that they actually slow the bike down... The front brake is even better.

So I thought this would just be for added confidence in corners, but what's much more noticeable is better acceleration / deceleration as these rubbers just stick to the ground. Amazing.

A friend has the same on his D Tracker and what a difference on such a small bike !!!

Talking of small ie; me. Can you get a seat lowering kit like the one i have on my KLX and if so does anyone have an idea how much it brings to bike down, i wouldn't want to start taking the seat apart or wearing platform boots ....

Congrats on the upgrade!

FYI, YSS springs come in a choice of Black or Red:

April30ER6nHomeSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

A friend has the same on his D Tracker and what a difference on such a small bike !!!

Talking of small ie; me. Can you get a seat lowering kit like the one i have on my KLX and if so does anyone have an idea how much it brings to bike down, i wouldn't want to start taking the seat apart or wearing platform boots ....

How about these Bob, they deliver to Thailand. http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

^^ Oh, I didn't know about the red YSS, looks nice! You'd think that at this point I know better than to take the word of the dealer for it... dealer in CM told me only black for the YSS Versys shock, but very likely they either don't know about or can't get the red... from the way he said it I assume he simply didn't know. The Kawa shop owners in CM are really nice but they're business people first and foremost, they don't really know all that much about bikes.

You can order a similar part, locally made, for a lot less:

sdc14325.jpgsdc14327.jpg

sdc14328.jpgsdc14329.jpg

You can order a similar part, locally made, for a lot less:

Tony & Stu,

Thanks for the info,has anyone tried these lowering kits, looks like they will drop the bike down about 2" but do they effect the suspension or handling in any way. I know the er6n has a much lower seat height but the Versys appears to have better potential off road capabilities, which is what i am looking for to replace my KLX on longer trips.

Tony & Stu,

Thanks for the info,has anyone tried these lowering kits, looks like they will drop the bike down about 2" but do they effect the suspension or handling in any way. I know the er6n has a much lower seat height but the Versys appears to have better potential off road capabilities, which is what i am looking for to replace my KLX on longer trips.

I think there was someone earlier in this thread who installed a lowering link.

Personally I would suggest lowering the seat before you start messing with the suspension. The stock seat can easily be shaved down a few centimeters and Kawasaki has had an aftermarket gel "Low Seat" on display as well, but it's quite expensive. A decent saddle shop here in Thailand should be able to lower your stock seat for 300-400 baht.

I had the seat on my Ninja 650R reshaped and recovered for something like 300 baht:

But if a low seat still isn't enough, then the next step would be a shorter rear shock OR a lowering link and dropping the front end by sliding the forks up through the triple tree.

Ride On!

Tony

Quick question- how good is the location of the exhaust of the versys? Underseat- no problem... Side of bike- no problem... But all the way down there? Could it be mounted on the side? Thinking about floods and wet days here in the south...

Yoall,

There is a buzz coming from my Versys dash :annoyed: . On the net I can only find poeple with the same problem that ride the older model Versys.

Anybody who bought their Versys in LOS (latest model) has the same problem? Did you fix it?

Cheerio,

nick

Yoall,

There is a buzz coming from my Versys dash :annoyed: . On the net I can only find poeple with the same problem that ride the older model Versys.

Anybody who bought their Versys in LOS (latest model) has the same problem? Did you fix it?

Cheerio,

nick

Mine has a buzz too. It's not very loud, but it's there... I don't know where exactly it comes from ... didn't fix it; let me know if you find out what's caused yours...

Quick question- how good is the location of the exhaust of the versys? Underseat- no problem... Side of bike- no problem... But all the way down there? Could it be mounted on the side? Thinking about floods and wet days here in the south...

No problem on my Ninja650 with lower ground clearance

as always when in deep water, bike or car, keep the rpms up :)