Electric

Gonsalviz

PEA only provides electricity along government roads (sois), & to the boundary of your property. As a guide it will cost about 8K / pole (plus the cost of a transformer if required). You will also have to pay for the meter, a 5 Amp is about 3K, & a 15 Amp is about 7K. But as others have advise talk to your local PEA Office, but before you talk to them you should do a MD (maximum demand calculation) to determine the size of your meter & the supply line, etc.

If you are going to run a line on your property it will cost you about 3K / pole, plus the cost of the wire.

Not Cheap, but good luck

Edited by CM4Me

Depends how straight the track is: more bends (no matter how slight) equals more posts equals much more money. You can have PEA survey it for free to provide you with a full quotation. I ordered a survey perhaps 8/9 years ago over a distance of 1.2km (had a lot of bends; not the route I eventually took) that resulted in a quote of 720,000 baht inclusive of single phase 30kVA transformer. I reckon that 1.2km would cost a million today with the huge rise in the cost of aluminium over that time. So I’d say you could be looking at a cost approaching two million baht.

Depends how straight the track is: more bends (no matter how slight) equals more posts equals much more money. You can have PEA survey it for free to provide you with a full quotation. I ordered a survey perhaps 8/9 years ago over a distance of 1.2km (had a lot of bends; not the route I eventually took) that resulted in a quote of 720,000 baht inclusive of single phase 30kVA transformer. I reckon that 1.2km would cost a million today with the huge rise in the cost of aluminium over that time. So I'd say you could be looking at a cost approaching two million baht.

Installation costs that high makes it very understandable why houses don't really start popping-up in an area until the govt installs power to an area...also helps explain why so many houses a very close to roads.

In small villages the transformers used can supply power up to a kilometer away. Further than that you will most likely need to add around a half million baht to the price of everything else for a transformer.

I’m not positive but I think I recall PEA telling me the maximum was 700 metres from the transformer.

The cost will obviously also vary depending on whether you only have to install a transformer to an adjacent high voltage line or have to have the high voltage extended to your property.

Depends how straight the track is: more bends (no matter how slight) equals more posts equals much more money. You can have PEA survey it for free to provide you with a full quotation. I ordered a survey perhaps 8/9 years ago over a distance of 1.2km (had a lot of bends; not the route I eventually took) that resulted in a quote of 720,000 baht inclusive of single phase 30kVA transformer. I reckon that 1.2km would cost a million today with the huge rise in the cost of aluminium over that time. So I'd say you could be looking at a cost approaching two million baht.

Installation costs that high makes it very understandable why houses don't really start popping-up in an area until the govt installs power to an area...also helps explain why so many houses a very close to roads.

And it also explain the cost of building the infra-structure of gated communities, and their selling prices.

About 4 years ago we ran our power lines on concrete poles concreted into the ground to our home up the side of mountain about 1.5km from road though adjacent farm...total cost from a private "builder" 130kbt...no transformer was required.

I have thought since that we could have used bare neutral not insulated and would have saved a bit of cash...maybe our more knowledgeable TV sparkies would have an opinion on that re code/rules in LOS such as they are....

good luck..

d

edit : electric co eventually put in a new pole on "our" side of the road at no cost to us and without us asking!!

another edit! : the cost of the temp meter was refunded once we requested permanent meter which was not charged for....

Edited by David006

As many forum members have posted, a visit by you with your electrical plans of the home you are considering to build brought to the local PEA office so they can determine what size meter you will need. They will do a free site survey and in due time give you a written price or some options with prices. However consider getting a bid from a private electrical contractor, especially if they are specifying 3 phase and perhaps a transformer. In our situation with only a 6 electric pole run of our own 3 phase electricity and our own 50k transformer the fee from a private electrical contractor with many large modern trucks, seemingly trained technicians and the ability to work with the local PEA office was LESS MONEY than the PEA price. There were many options on type of wires and in our particular situation the electrical plan for the poles, wiring and transformer was quite elaborate that the licensed electrical contractor submitted to the PEA. We saved 22% by hiring a private contractor.

Neutrals are never bare/uninsulated, it is a current carrying conductor. Earth (ground) conductors can be.

Sorry but most of the neutrals are bare in my area of Thailand. Where they are grounded, they are enclosed in a yellow conduit running down the post.

EDIT: I'm refering to the main low voltage (240V) lines, not the drop-down cables to meters or after metres.

Edited by Khonwan

About 4 years ago we ran our power lines on concrete poles concreted into the ground to our home up the side of mountain about 1.5km from road though adjacent farm...total cost from a private "builder" 130kbt...no transformer was required.

I have thought since that we could have used bare neutral not insulated and would have saved a bit of cash...maybe our more knowledgeable TV sparkies would have an opinion on that re code/rules in LOS such as they are....

good luck..

d

edit : electric co eventually put in a new pole on "our" side of the road at no cost to us and without us asking!!

another edit! : the cost of the temp meter was refunded once we requested permanent meter which was not charged for....

What size of cable did you use? If 50mm (single phase), you would only have a current capacity of no more than 16A before suffering severe voltage reduction. My own system is approximately 1.6km between any of my farm houses/buildings and my 3-phase transformer - 1500m of 50mm x4 plus end branches of 100-200m 25mm x4.

Neutrals are never bare/uninsulated, it is a current carrying conductor. Earth (ground) conductors can be.

sorry mate but maybe you should look up at the power poles next time your driving the one on top in the middle is neutral...the cross road neutral to our new new pole is open wire...in our case neutral is also bonded to ground at the service panel... :whistling:

good luck..

d

What size of cable did you use? If 50mm (single phase), you would only have a current capacity of no more than 16A before suffering severe voltage reduction. My own system is approximately 1.6km between any of my farm houses/buildings and my 3-phase transformer - 1500m of 50mm x4 plus end branches of 100-200m 25mm x4.

yup ya got that right..although voltage is above 235v...do have some dimming of incandescent lights when using shower (heater + water pump)..of course we often also have no voltage every time it rains or is not raining or..lol.

Not a big deal..have flouro mini down lights, two fridges and 5 ceiling fans..no air...

The service supplied I think is a "tail end" sort of thing ,two phase or even 100amp service not available the old "no have" syndrome...if I really pushed it I think I would have had to buy a lot of "yellow label" methinks..

we are in the middle of no place...so "how to do" :rolleyes:

Edited by David006