Hoteliers Urge Govt To Speed Up Boosting Thai Tourism Industry

webfact

Hoteliers urge government to speed up boosting tourism industry

BANGKOK, Nov 8 - The Thai Hotels Association (THA) on Monday urged the government to more quickly promote the country's tourism industry which has been severely hit by the nationwide flooding, to bring tourists back in time for the upcoming Loy Krathong Festival.

THA president Prakij Chianamornphong said the government, using the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), should inform foreign tourists about the improving flood situation in Thailand, especially to Malaysian and Singaporean tourists, who are the major visitors to the southern commercial district of Hat Yai in Songkhla province.

Tropical storms hit Thailand's southern region last week, resulting in torrential rain and flooding in many areas, including Hat Yai, which was about two metres under floodwaters. Authorities initially estimated damages cost at around Bt10 billion (US$333 million).

Mr Prakij said the flood situation in Hat Yai has now eased and that it would take about a week to restore the city.

The THA president expressed hope that the Singaporean and Malaysian tourists will help revive Hat Yai tourism industry, especially during the upcoming high season.

He elaborated that the hotel business in Hat Yai has been damaged with loss of Bt50 million each day during flood, while tourism in Surat Thani and other southern provinces has not recovered as numbers of foreign visitors cancelled their hotel bookings amid fears of current flooding and further tropical storms.

The Loy Krathong Festival will be held Nov 20-21 in provinces such as Sukhothai and Chiang Mai. The festivities are expected to be as spectacular as in previous years, said Mr Prakij, hoping floods in some provinces will end so that the festival of lights can be held.

"The tourism ministry and the TAT must intensify their public relations campaign that floods have now eased in many provinces to draw foreign tourists back to the kingdom," said Mr Prakij. "If the campaign is accelerated as Loy Krathong Festival is approaching, the tourism industry should be picked up in time."

The THA president added the association will call a meeting with the regional hotel association presidents on Thursday to assess the impact from nationwide inundation and will compile overall damages assessment on the industry to present to the government seeking for assistance for the affected businesses.

Mr Prakij said the tourism promotion has not reached its target due to the floods which occurred during the school vacation, citing Nakhon Ratchasima as example, many families could not take their children for domestic travelling although they had already made the reservation.

The tourism president however said the association expected that foreign arrivals in the kingdom will remain at 14 million people this year, while hotel occupancy rate is now at 60 per cent. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-11-08

One good solution would be the Hotel associations drop the prices for Hotels around Thailand. They are outrages. Like many people I wanted to travel but every time I check the rice I stop my plan and stay home

Is that a Thai version of reading the tea leaves......sorry givenall, couldn't resist that one  :rolleyes:

One good solution would be the Hotel associations drop the prices for Hotels around Thailand. They are outrages. Like many people I wanted to travel but every time I check the rice I stop my plan and stay home

I'm a bit surprised at this comment as there have been some very good deals recently all over Thailand. OK, the resort areas upped their prices on Nov 1st. Maybe you're not using the same websites as me.

Interesting that some hoteliers complain of government interference when it comes time to register their hotels or to implement the most rudimentary of life safety systems such as smoke detectors & fire alrams, or to comply with basic environmental waste standards like maintaining the establishment's septic tank system and then they want a hand out or government action, wah wah wah. What some "hotels"need is a good kick in the ass. It would do the industry some good to see the poorly run establishments go out of business. Let the market decide. The legit hotels are the ones paying their taxes and providing employment at a living wage. The whiners and groaners are usually the hotels that do not work with the other hotels to implement and enforce common standards and that do everything to avoid paying taxes and proper wages. Unfortunately, these rogue "hotels" damage the legit establishments both small and large. Shut down the illegal operating hotels first and overcapacity and profit margins problems will be solved,..

Edited by geriatrickid

it seems that they always seem to find a reason for less tourism and point fingers at someone.

floods has nothing to do with fewer number of tourists.

Strong baht, price increases and poor reception of tourists is the reason for fewer tourists.

For Americans the cost of holiday has increased by further 15% since last year, same for Brits and Euro. On top of all these, prices on almost everything have gone up and to top it up, prices for hotels and airfares have also gone up.

2 of my friends have just arrived yesterday for a holiday from OZ. They spent 1 day in BKK and then off to Pattaya. First thing they have said was "what the hack, everything is so expansive now, can not do any shopping and can buy half of the things cheaper back home"

Keep in mind both of them have been visiting every year or sometimes twice per year for the past 11 years.

Comments like this from the tourists really make you think and look at prices and its true, prices on everything have gone up.

May be and i only say may be if hotel kept their low season rates, rather then doubling it, it may attract a few more people and may be if Thai airways did special promotional fairs rather then putting the prices up by almost double it will also help.

But seems no one cares about the general picture and everyone tries to cash in as much as they can.

As there saying goes, play as a team and you will win,but this concept does not exist in Thailand

it seems that they always seem to find a reason for less tourism and point fingers at someone.

floods has nothing to do with fewer number of tourists.

Strong baht, price increases and poor reception of tourists is the reason for fewer tourists.

For Americans the cost of holiday has increased by further 15% since last year, same for Brits and Euro. On top of all these, prices on almost everything have gone up and to top it up, prices for hotels and airfares have also gone up.

2 of my friends have just arrived yesterday for a holiday from OZ. They spent 1 day in BKK and then off to Pattaya. First thing they have said was "what the hack, everything is so expansive now, can not do any shopping and can buy half of the things cheaper back home"

Keep in mind both of them have been visiting every year or sometimes twice per year for the past 11 years.

Comments like this from the tourists really make you think and look at prices and its true, prices on everything have gone up.

May be and i only say may be if hotel kept their low season rates, rather then doubling it, it may attract a few more people and may be if Thai airways did special promotional fairs rather then putting the prices up by almost double it will also help.

But seems no one cares about the general picture and everyone tries to cash in as much as they can.

As there saying goes, play as a team and you will win,but this concept does not exist in Thailand

And your friends are from Oz , just imagine what is like for people from UK, or Euroland, and US dollar looks likely to dip next!