Karon Roadblock Today

madmitch

He couldn't have fined you anyway. You have to be speeding more than 10% over the limit, to allow for speedo calibration and other variables. He was probably trying to say he has done you a favour and you "owe him one" when he actually was not in a postion to fine you.

ice, you know the laws of my homecountry as good as you know thai corruption and culture. Sorry to let you know you are wrong

10% over the limit in 50 area, fine doubles. 76kmh you loose your drivers lisence for some time. 100kmh you are in jail. facts presented

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it here. I take Thailand for all it's good, and bad. All I am saying is there is selective enforcement here based on the individuals ability to pay. That's it.

No, you where saying selective enforcement is corruption. Knowing thai culture and law that is not corruption, its to treat the population according to their abilities.

Have you ever experienced here in Phuket to be asked to hand over cash to the officer pulling you over, or are you simply presenting rumours?

If you can't pay the fine - do the time.

If you can't do the time - don't do the crime.

This should have no cultural, financial or racial boundaries. Thai law is here for farang, and should also be here for Thai's.

says the one paying the mafia to drive him in an illegal taxi :lol: :lol:

He couldn't have fined you anyway. You have to be speeding more than 10% over the limit, to allow for speedo calibration and other variables. He was probably trying to say he has done you a favour and you "owe him one" when he actually was not in a postion to fine you.

ice, you know the laws of my homecountry as good as you know thai corruption and culture. Sorry to let you know you are wrong

10% over the limit in 50 area, fine doubles. 76kmh you loose your drivers lisence for some time. 100kmh you are in jail. facts presented

NOOOOOOOOO. You had to be doing 55 kph before he could have fined you. Less for the cameras, but, if he was doing "a check speed" - this mean he had to follow you, for no less than 300 metres, whilst maintaining a constant distance between his police vehicle and the speeding vehicle, he MUST allow for 10%.

I don't know what country/state you are from that that is the law in NSW - Australia.

Iceman, would you mind learning how to use the 'quote' function correctly?

It makes your posts difficult reading having to find out where you're quoting and where you're giving your opinion. (although, considering your opinions it is not that difficult :lol::lol: )

I like it here. I take Thailand for all it's good, and bad. All I am saying is there is selective enforcement here based on the individuals ability to pay. That's it.

No, you where saying selective enforcement is corruption. Knowing thai culture and law that is not corruption, its to treat the population according to their abilities.

Have you ever experienced here in Phuket to be asked to hand over cash to the officer pulling you over, or are you simply presenting rumours?

I try to be legal here. I don't drive/ride pissed. I wear my helmet. I have the correct licences and my bike is roadworthy. I don't ride much and have never had a bribe demanded from me. I have, however, been in two taxis that were stopped, for no apparent reason (although I now believe it was for the vehicle not been registered properly for passengers) and a corrupt payment made in full view of myself. I mean, the officer didn't even care there was an independant witness to the bribe. Another time this happened was in Bangkok, in a tuk-tuk. So, I have seen it, as a passenger, with my own eyes on three occassions. For what it is worth, I have also spoke to friends that have admitted to me getting pulled over and just paying money to the officer and allowed to leave.

When that day comes, and it will, I hope they treat me on my ability to pay. I am not the richest farang on the island. :) :) :) :)

Iceman, would you mind learning how to use the 'quote' function correctly?

It makes your posts difficult reading having to find out where you're quoting and where you're giving your opinion. (although, considering your opinions it is not that difficult :lol::lol: )

I click on reply and a red box comes up saying there are open quotations or an uneven amount of quotations or something similar. I just start deleting quotes until it will post.

Contrary to YOUR opinion, I'm always happy to learn. Any instructions on how to fix this would be welcome. :) :)

I try to be legal here. I don't drive/ride pissed. I wear my helmet. I have the correct licences and my bike is roadworthy. I don't ride much and have never had a bribe demanded from me. I have, however, been in two taxis that were stopped, for no apparent reason (although I now believe it was for the vehicle not been registered properly for passengers) and a corrupt payment made in full view of myself. I mean, the officer didn't even care there was an independant witness to the bribe. Another time this happened was in Bangkok, in a tuk-tuk. So, I have seen it, as a passenger, with my own eyes on three occassions. For what it is worth, I have also spoke to friends that have admitted to me getting pulled over and just paying money to the officer and allowed to leave.

When that day comes, and it will, I hope they treat me on my ability to pay. I am not the richest farang on the island. :) :) :) :)

so when you have hired a mafia controlled illegal taxi, the thai driver has bribed the police to not lock you up. Lucky you, I d say. Would you have prefered to spend hours having this case investigated, calling your lawyer to get you out and so on?

This should have no cultural, financial or racial boundaries. Thai law is here for farang, and should also be here for Thai's.

Ahhhh, yes, the mafia. Are you talking about the taxi driver, or the guy putting is hand through the taxi window, collecting money? :) :) :) :)

I d say there is a huge difference in asking the copper to accept a bribe, over the cop asking me for a bribe. 8 years with +400k km I have been fined numerous times in Phuket, but never been asked to pay on the spot without issuing fine. I am sure in most cases, I could have made them accept a bribe, since thais like to please people and make them happy with easy solutions.

so when you have hired a mafia controlled illegal taxi, the thai driver has bribed the police to not lock you up. Lucky you, I d say. Would you have prefered to spend hours having this case investigated, calling your lawyer to get you out and so on?

I never "hired" him. He is just my Thai friend driving me to the airport in his own car. :) :) :) :)

Ahhhh, yes, the mafia. Are you talking about the taxi driver, or the guy putting is hand through the taxi window, collecting money? :) :) :) :)

driver, owner, the ones finding customers, all same organisation unwilling to do as other taxi guys do. huge crackdown on them starting in a few weeks, 220 names/ adresses in Patong only

I never "hired" him. He is just my Thai friend driving me to the airport in his own car. :) :) :) :)

Could take you and your lawyer 24 hours to explain that to the police. Since he drives 3 farang friends to the airport every day, presenting evidence would be your responsibility

If you had a thai driver driving you in your car, he wouldnt need to bribe the cops to keep you out of custody

Edited by katabeachbum

Contrary to YOUR opinion, I'm always happy to learn.

That is not my opinion, where did I say that? I may not disagree with you, but that is something completely different (IMO).

Any instructions on how to fix this would be welcome. :) :)

A quote (without the name of the original poster) starts with {quote} and ends with {/quote} (you have to read '[' and ']' where I wrote '{' and '}'.

I d say there is a huge difference in asking the copper to accept a bribe, over the cop asking me for a bribe. 8 years with +400k km I have been fined numerous times in Phuket, but never been asked to pay on the spot without issuing fine. I am sure in most cases, I could have made them accept a bribe, since thais like to please people and make them happy with easy solutions.

400,000 kms / 8 years = 50,000 kms per year

50,000 kms / 12 months = 4166 kms per month

4166 kms / 4 weeks = 1041 kms per week

1041 kms / 7 days = 148 kms per day

If you are doing those kilometres everyday, I'd like to see your work permit? :) :) :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan

If you are doing those kilometres everyday, I'd like to see your work permit? :) :) :) :)

If you make a division after the first line you'll end up with 137 km per day. Easier and correct.

some days I do 900km, some days 9 km ;)

my last roadtrip to Nong kai 4000 km a few weeks ago does not require any work permit, and of course you dont need a work permit to drive your own car/bike anywhere you want at any time. driving others for payment is illegal for any farang, WP or not

I was going to reply to BTB's previous e-mail accusing me of contraticding myself (not true) which he is too lazy to prove, plus other personal insults, when I remembered the old adage:-

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

I think you'll find these comments are slightly contradictory.

Nowhere do I say I want other people to get done

Followed by.........

Yes, I was breaking the law (yet, Thais seem to get away with it

And........

The crux is that all the Thais that I have spoken to always get away with it and white people don't

And........

Goes back to the law being supplied selectively and that the police are corrupt.

And most contraditctory of all........

What I want is the law to be applied, or, not applied equally to Thais and foreigners

If that isn't you saying you don't wish other people to get tickets in one post and then saying you do want Thais to get tickets as well, in several others, then I must be losing my ability to understand English.

Also you wrote:

Why all the personal insults when someone doesn't agree with you? Obviously you weren't brought up right

If I had said that in my house when I was a kid, my old dear would have made me say it again, but replacing the word right for properly. Saying 'brought up right' sounds a bit common to me LOL.

The Phuket psychopaths are up and at it early today. Make sure brain is engaged before putting keyboard into gear. :lol:

yeah its time to quit. I m sure ice will fine something else he is not happy about

I like it here but, like everywhere, the place isn't perfect. Nothing wrong with discussing what some on TV view as the imperfections.

I like it here but, like everywhere, the place isn't perfect. Nothing wrong with discussing what some on TV view as the imperfections.

nothing wrong to discuss imperfections, but making up "scams" like airport scales, and corruption you have not seen or taken part in is IMHO a bit over the edge

nothing wrong to discuss imperfections, but making up "scams" like airport scales, and corruption you have not seen or taken part in is IMHO a bit over the edge

Like I said, I observed three corrupt payments to police as a passenger and have spoken to a Thai girl who I saw "let off" for having no money to pay. I have clearly stated this.

In relation to the airport scales, on my last visa run, I weighed my bag, twice, on different scales, at home - 14 kg. The Airasia scales, the one on the very far right side, the one where you can drop off your bag if you have electronically checked in, read 14.9 kg. 900 g more than the two scales I used. I never posted it because I didn't think anyone would believe me, but I appologised to my mate. He was right, although they read an extra 1 kg for him. The scales were out. Maybe they were not calibrated, or it was just that one particular set of scales. I'll try it again on the next visa run.

sorry dude, all the rental shops I know, and I know many.... never require to keep your passport, just a copy, and the address where you are staying. So please continue being a dope.

'All' of them?

I was in Patong recently. I tried about 8 rental shops, none would rent me a bike without keeping my passport. I offered a copy of my passport, my hotel was very close by. No deal.

So I think your information, while it might be technically true, is simply not representative.

On another visit, at Kata, it took me about 5 goes till I found one who would accept something other than my passport. (Even they would have preferred to keep it, but my honest face won them over :) ).

One shop showed me a huge stack of foreign passports they were keeping, as proof that that is the only way they do business.

sorry dude, all the rental shops I know, and I know many.... never require to keep your passport, just a copy, and the address where you are staying. So please continue being a dope.

'All' of them?

I was in Patong recently. I tried about 8 rental shops, none would rent me a bike without keeping my passport. I offered a copy of my passport, my hotel was very close by. No deal.

So I think your information, while it might be technically true, is simply not representative.

On another visit, at Kata, it took me about 5 goes till I found one who would accept something other than my passport. (Even they would have preferred to keep it, but my honest face won them over :) ).

One shop showed me a huge stack of foreign passports they were keeping, as proof that that is the only way they do business.

When I first came to Thailand I did hire a bike and I did leave my passport, I would never do that again and have not done so since coming here over 15 months ago, not sure about now but back then it was impossible to hire a big bike from Patong beach road without leaving them your passport.

I have enjoyed this thread. I have learnt quite a lot, and heard some new opinions on the subject. I do however, think the outcome is some what conclusive.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure there wasn't one single post in this 8 page thread, where somebody was complaining of being given a ticket when they DIDN'T deserve it. I'm talking, had the right license, right insurance, vehicle taxed, wearing a helmet etc etc. Now that says it all for me.

We had several posters 'NaiHarn, was one of the most verbal, who wanted to give the impression that they had been given tickets unfairly, by mentioning how many times they got stopped. They threw the words extortion and corruption around like there's no tomorrow. But when questioned further, it would seems the poster, who I don't think even lives here, but only holidays here, eventually admitted, all the times he was stopped he didn't get a ticket anyway!

We then had another poster, 'KaronBravo' who seemed to feel hard done, by for getting fined for riding a bike with no green book, which is about as ilegal as a bike can be, (without it having drugs stuffed up the exaust pipe) Now the poster seemed to be a bit confused about this, saying one thing then the other, but it would seem his main gripe is the fact that he got fined but the Thai people didn't. What he fails to realise the Thai people riding very old C90's or whatever it was, haven't spent huge amounts of money making them nice and shiny, putting new fancy parts on, and giving it custom spray jobs, but have actually had them for 20 years as they can't afford a new one. But he would like to see it taken off the road as his was??

This seemed to be a common theme running through this thread. People firstly feeling hard done by for getting a ticket. Then when it's pointed out to them that they were breaking the law, so that's why they got a ticket, they try to divert the attention away from them, so they start talking about the local people not getting tickets instead. To me this is an unfortunate attitude to have.

We then had several posters, with experience of driving on the island, ranging from 5 to 21 years. These poster have never been bribed. They have been given very few tickets between them over a very long period of time, and every time they did get a ticket, they had done something wrong, and they paid for the ticket at the station, in return for a nice crisp receipt.

These people also agreed that Thai people, more often than not, will get tickets as well.

So my summary of this thread is:

You will almost never get a ticket if you haven't broken the law.

If you do get a ticket that you deserved, the money may well go in the police mans pocket but more often than not will go through the books at the station.

Yes it is a possibility, that while you're getting a ticket a local Thai may be allowed to pass through without paying.

If anyone doesn't like that, and would rather a different system, then they need to be in a different place.

Anyway, enjoyed this thread. Must only be a few weeks before the next Tuk tuk thread starts. See you there.:)

Wasn't the OP about police demanding passports and fining those that didn't have them and then things meandered from there?

If a traffic offender doesnt have an english language drivers lisence with picture, police can demand original passport.

Actually police can demand passport or certified copy of passport in any case if farang doesnt carry acceptable other id card.