American Football

ChuckZ

I respect your view through the AFC East colored glasses on who will or won't make the playoffs, who are likely to be out of it and who figure to be at or near the top at the end of the season. BUT I think you will find at the end of the season there will be a lot surprises like always.

Will the Pats have the Super Bowl loser hangover year?

Will injuries devastate one of the favorites?

What sleeper teams will surprise?

There a reason they play the games. All preseason predictions will soon fly out the window.

Right on all counts, Uros. I am definitely wearing those AFC East colored glasses. I have been since the Patriots were created by Billy Sullivan in 1960. :-)

I have been an NFL fan even longer, starting as a Giants fan (the "local" team broadcast to us in Boston) back in the mid-50's. So I totally agree with you that predictions are NOT a sure thing. If they were, none of us would really enjoy the game. It's all about winning it, one game at a time, on the field.

I was just discussing OMR's post of the salary cap facts, and using the predictions as a starting point. You have to start somewhere, right? :-)

There are good reasons to believe that the teams I noted as either "in" or "out" of the playoffs COULD finish that way. But there are many, many factors that can change that; ranging from injuries to "career years" for some vets, "down years" for other vets, "surprises" from rookies, and just plain luck on the bounce of the ball, and officials calls one way or the other. All of those things, to some degree, happen every single season.

After all, if games could be predicted consistently, there'd be no gambling on them, would there? :-)

The one part of the game that truly depresses me is that injuries do happen. I hate to see players, and their teams, affected by injuries. It's an unfortunate reality that we have to deal with; but it really is a shame.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an interesting website which someone posted last year at www.profootballtalk.com.

This week they posted the salary caps and it is interesting who has room and who doesn't:

SALARY CAP NUMBERS AS OF AUGUST 25

Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2008, 8:41 a.m.

It really shows that money, alone, is not the answer, doesn't it? We see teams that have spent almost to the cap that are unlikely to make the playoffs (Redskins, Jets, Cardinals, Lions, Raiders, and Texans). At the other end, we see teams that haven't spent money, and are likely out of it (Chiefs, Bucs, Packers, Bills). The teams that figure to be at or near the top at the end of the season, are bunched together fairly closely in the middle (Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Cowboys). It's not how much money you spend. It's who you spend it on.

It does show who has room as some of the older guys with big contracts get cut the week before the season starts. An offensive lineman, or in the Cowboys case, a wide receiver would be great.

So, while I mention that other teams can pick up an offensive lineman and the Cowboys can get a wide receiver, what happens yesterday? The Cowboys lose another WR to injury (Sam Hurd) and instead pick up the Bronco's starting offensive guard.

Hello, Wade Philips, is there anything in there??

Just wanted to mention, for S.F. 49ers fans out there, I seem to be having pretty good luck watching 49ers games live here in LOS.

The way to see this is to use the free TVU software/service, and then choose their "CBS" channel, which happens to be the feed from San Francisco's KPIX station, which airs 49ers games.

The quality, audio and video, comes thru fine here in BKK via a True 2 mb DSL connection.

Just wanted to mention, for S.F. 49ers fans out there, I seem to be having pretty good luck watching 49ers games live here in LOS.

The way to see this is to use the free TVU software/service, and then choose their "CBS" channel, which happens to be the feed from San Francisco's KPIX station, which airs 49ers games.

The quality, audio and video, comes thru fine here in BKK via a True 2 mb DSL connection.

Using TVU, is there any way you know of to find out which stations are carrying what games when?

About the TVU programming schedule... not much to offer there, based on my experimenting the past several weeks...

Once you install the software, they do have a very rudimentary channel guide built into the software module...but it doesn't work for all channels...and isn't always accurate. They do, however, have a component that allows you to see only sports channels (or English or other program categories) and then save those to a Favorites list.

So I've taken the opposite approach in two ways... 1.) I look at what channels they actually have and get some sense of what kinds of games those are likely to show... and 2). I check the days/times/teams of the games I'm interested and then check their sports channels at that time.

TVU, as best as I can tell, is NOT a great resource for NFL football broadcasts. They do seem to have the 49ers...by virtue of the San Francisco CBS affiliate, which seems to be available pretty consistently. And likewise, the same CBS affiliate sometimes is showing other NFL games. They also do sometimes have an ESPN and Fox Sports feeds...but those seem a bit more hit and miss...

Now that the NFL season is getting underway...I'm going to be watching their offerings more closely...as well as other offerings available thru a similar free, streaming service called TVAnts... Both are free, so it's no problem to download, try, and keep or not, depending on if they have anything you want.

I'm originally from California, so I'm backing up the TV broadcast issue by locating the streaming radio broadcasts of both the Raiders (KSFO-AM) and the 49ers (The Bone 107.7 FM)...which I've used here the past couple weeks and both have worked fine via my True 2 mb connection.

Lastly, I bit the bullet this weekend, and upgraded from my True UBC to Gold Package in order to get the few measly NFL games they'll be showing on True Sports 4 (which isn't offered in any of the lower packages beneath Gold).

I'm originally from California, so I'm backing up the TV broadcast issue by locating the streaming radio broadcasts of both the Raiders (KSFO-AM) and the 49ers (The Bone 107.7 FM)...which I've used here the past couple weeks and both have worked fine via my True 2 mb connection.

Have you been able to listen to NFL games over the internet from these radio stations?

I admit I haven't stayed up to date but it used to be that they turned off the internet streaming for NFL games because their broadcast rights only covered the local radio market. So while I could listen to WBCN right now over the internet I would not be able to for a Patriots game.

About the TVU programming schedule... not much to offer there, based on my experimenting the past several weeks...

Once you install the software, they do have a very rudimentary channel guide built into the software module...but it doesn't work for all channels...and isn't always accurate. They do, however, have a component that allows you to see only sports channels (or English or other program categories) and then save those to a Favorites list.

So I've taken the opposite approach in two ways... 1.) I look at what channels they actually have and get some sense of what kinds of games those are likely to show... and 2). I check the days/times/teams of the games I'm interested and then check their sports channels at that time.

TVU, as best as I can tell, is NOT a great resource for NFL football broadcasts. They do seem to have the 49ers...by virtue of the San Francisco CBS affiliate, which seems to be available pretty consistently. And likewise, the same CBS affiliate sometimes is showing other NFL games. They also do sometimes have an ESPN and Fox Sports feeds...but those seem a bit more hit and miss...

Now that the NFL season is getting underway...I'm going to be watching their offerings more closely...as well as other offerings available thru a similar free, streaming service called TVAnts... Both are free, so it's no problem to download, try, and keep or not, depending on if they have anything you want.

Lastly, I bit the bullet this weekend, and upgraded from my True UBC to Gold Package in order to get the few measly NFL games they'll be showing on True Sports 4 (which isn't offered in any of the lower packages beneath Gold).

Thanks for this. BTW, I think True is having some of the games on TS 3 so watch for this. Their switching of channels tripped some of us up last year.

thanks for this. BTW, I think True is having some of the games on TS 3 so watch for this. Their switching of channels tripped some of us up last year.

Ya...I was a bit confused about that... I've seen some mention about TS3...and other mention about TS4, re NFL football.... I just got my Sept. True magazine the other day, so I'll be looking more at their schedule now... Either way I'm OK, because their Gold Package includes TS1-4, ESPN, and a couple others.

Have you been able to listen to NFL games over the internet from these radio stations?

I admit I haven't stayed up to date but it used to be that they turned off the internet streaming for NFL games because their broadcast rights only covered the local radio market. So while I could listen to WBCN right now over the internet I would not be able to for a Patriots game.

Lom, yes... absolutely... hahahaha... The only reason I would be listening to those Bay Area radio stations would be to hear the Raiders and 49ers games. I've caught all their pre-season games on Internet streaming radio, and had no problems either with quality of connection or having a non-U.S. IP or blacking out just their NFL content from streaming.

Now, I should be clear... 1) this is the first time/year I've needed/tried to do this, so my successful experience so far has only been with this year's pre-season games, obviously haven't had a chance to try this during the regular NFL season, as yet. and 2) I've only tried with those two Bay Area stations because I follow those teams, haven't tried with stations/teams in other markets.

But I'll sure find out this coming week, with the start of the regular season...and update here.

In terms of other options, I did check the NFL web site re their streaming TV and radio options...

For streaming TV, NFL offers an all season pass for all games for $210 U.S., a weekly pass to all games in a single week for $20, and any single game of your choice each week of the season for $160... I like watching football, but am not crazy about it... So for me, those pricing options are a bit steep, especially if I can watch 49ers games via TVU/CBS station for free.

But if you don't mind radio, the NFL seems to have a good deal on their "Field Pass". Looking at their web site, it seems to say you'd have access to all NFL regular season and post season game and pre and post game radio broadcasts for $39.95 if purchased during the regular season or $29.95 if purchased during the pre-season. They also offer a monthly option of $9.95. And it specifically talks about the access being "anywhere in the world."

I've never used this yet...and probably won't if I can continue to get the Raiders and 49ers games for free.... But this service appears to also say you can listen to the broadcasts either live or go back later and listen to past games, even back to 2004. The web site says they have a 7 day free trial, so I may give that a shot regardless.... It also appears they give you the choice of listening to either the home team or visiting team broadcasters, for each and every game.

If anyone has used this here in Thailand and has any experience/comments, I'd love to hear them.... The price certainly is reasonable, considering it's access for all teams and all games for the entire season...albeit radio.

http://www.nfl.com/fieldpass

Interesting that the pre-season games have been streamed on to the Internet. I tried to access a Pats game via WBCN, their radio broadcaster last year and was unable to do so. I assumed the NFL prohibited this activity as it eats in to their own paid service.

Guys, there is a way to get internet streams of games. I did it all last season, and when Patriots games were not on Truevisions, I watched them via stream. Some of the software used is better than others. It ranges from "a little jumpy and blurred", all the way to darn near TV broadcast quality.

As an "insane level" fan, I'll watch any 'live' Patriots broadcast that's good enough not to blind me! :-) I never missed a game last season.

If you are dedicated enought to want to watch YOUR team 'live', at any hour of the day or night, send me an email. I'll be happy to share details with you. But I don't want to put it out here. ... Oh, it is free. There's no "sales pitch" here. It's a public site, with which I have absolutely no connection, beyond the fact that I signed up.

As for Truevisions, I got my magazine today, and poured through it for the entire month. I assume that all of you who have access to Truevisions also have the magazine. But maybe I can save you a little time with this summary of what I found.

As you all know by now, they plan to show the (USA) Sunday afternoon "national" games 'live' from midnight to 6 AM on Monday mornings here. (Keep in mind that the start time will change to 1 AM when the USA changes the clocks.) They're all over the TS 1-4 stations. (9/8 on TS3; 9/15 on TS4; 9/22 on TS2; and 9/29 also on TS2). Who knows if those channel schedules will hold.

I saw replays scheduled for Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays; all on TS4, at various times.

I also see that they have scheduled "NFL Game Day", beginning on Saturday, 9/20, on TS4.

As noted earlier, ESPN-Asia will be broadcasting some NCAA games from various conferences. Those all appear to be replays. I don't see any in bold print, indicating 'live' broadcast, in the schedule.

The thing for us to do is to HELP EACH OTHERE as best we can, with any information we discover from any source, AND BY IMMEDIATELY POSTING ANYTHING YOU SEE ON YOUR TV THAT IS NOT LISTED IN THE MAGAZINE. Those are NFL events that we might miss without an "alert" from somebody who stumbles across it.

Good luck to all your teams ... except, of course, if and when they play my PATRIOTS!! :-)

It's that kind of broadcast schedule that makes trying to rely on pubs/bars pretty useless for NFL games.... I mean in terms of .... who's going to be open to show games that air here between midnight and 6 am in the morning, on the various True Sports channels... assuming you don't have Gold or Platinum at home.

But...on a related note, I came across an advertisement lately (but haven't been to the place) for the Woodstock Bar and restaurant on Thong Lor Soi 13.... Their web site talks about them showing NFL games every Monday night.... But... I think, that's obviously not Monday night football, because of the U.S.-LOS time difference... So... maybe they are recording the Sunday U.S. games (that air here early Mondays) and then show them during their Monday evening time as a promotion?????

Dunno... never been there.... but curious if anyone has any experience with them and what they do???

As for Truevisions, I got my magazine today, and poured through it for the entire month. I assume that all of you who have access to Truevisions also have the magazine. But maybe I can save you a little time with this summary of what I found.

As you all know by now, they plan to show the (USA) Sunday afternoon "national" games 'live' from midnight to 6 AM on Monday mornings here. (Keep in mind that the start time will change to 1 AM when the USA changes the clocks.) They're all over the TS 1-4 stations. (9/8 on TS3; 9/15 on TS4; 9/22 on TS2; and 9/29 also on TS2). Who knows if those channel schedules will hold.

I saw replays scheduled for Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays; all on TS4, at various times.

I also see that they have scheduled "NFL Game Day", beginning on Saturday, 9/20, on TS4.

As noted earlier, ESPN-Asia will be broadcasting some NCAA games from various conferences. Those all appear to be replays. I don't see any in bold print, indicating 'live' broadcast, in the schedule.

The thing for us to do is to HELP EACH OTHERE as best we can, with any information we discover from any source, AND BY IMMEDIATELY POSTING ANYTHING YOU SEE ON YOUR TV THAT IS NOT LISTED IN THE MAGAZINE. Those are NFL events that we might miss without an "alert" from somebody who stumbles across it.

Good luck to all your teams ... except, of course, if and when they play my PATRIOTS!! :-)

Patsfangr, thanks for the effort. You saved me a lot of time.

While I read in the newspaper that they would be showing a tape of this past weekend's Ohio St. game this morning on ESPN, it ended up being a tape of the Wisconsin game. While I am still happy that it isn't another game of those guys running around in shorts, it is these constant changes that can get frustrating. I don't watch soccer, but I wonder does True continually change the soccer games they advertise?

While I read in the newspaper that they would be showing a tape of this past weekend's Ohio St. game this morning on ESPN, it ended up being a tape of the Wisconsin game. While I am still happy that it isn't another game of those guys running around in shorts, it is these constant changes that can get frustrating. I don't watch soccer, but I wonder does True continually change the soccer games they advertise?

I'm watching the second replay of that Wisconsin game now. I'm glad that you didnt' post the result. Although, the matchup of Wisconsin vs. Akron pretty much gives us the result, doesn't it? I'm surprised by Akron's ability to come back and make it a game at halftime. I'll see what happens from here.

As for the schedules for the boys in shorts, I don't know; and couldn't possibly care less. I am totally bored by everything but goal highlights in soccer. I couldn't possibly sit through games involving teams I care nothing about. I did watch the USA soccer team in the Olympics years ago. But I don't even do that anymore. It's all in what you grow up with, I guess. There's no "right or wrong" about it. To each his own when it comes to sports and food! :-)

I'm watching the second replay of that Wisconsin game now. I'm glad that you didnt' post the result. Although, the matchup of Wisconsin vs. Akron pretty much gives us the result, doesn't it? I'm surprised by Akron's ability to come back and make it a game at halftime. I'll see what happens from here.

As for the schedules for the boys in shorts, I don't know; and couldn't possibly care less. I am totally bored by everything but goal highlights in soccer. I couldn't possibly sit through games involving teams I care nothing about. I did watch the USA soccer team in the Olympics years ago. But I don't even do that anymore. It's all in what you grow up with, I guess. There's no "right or wrong" about it. To each his own when it comes to sports and food! :-)

Akron actually puts together a pretty decent team for their conference, and takes on a couple heavyweights in their early season schedule. Look for them to take it to Syracuse who actually used to be a good program but has fallen on hard times.

Soccer would be interesting if they got rid of the goalies and the players were only allowed to shoot from ten yards out or more and, oh yeah, naked women with really big boobs as referees would help too.

Edited by huggybear

Soccer would be interesting if they got rid of the goalies and the players were only allowed to shoot from ten yards out or more and, oh yeah, naked women with really big boobs as referees would help too.

I suggest that we start a grass roots movement to make Huggy the International Commissioner of Soccer!!

I did think it was interesting...in watching some of the various Olympic volleyball and basketball contests on Thai TV... which were broadcast via the Beijing Olympics Broadcasting (BOB) Co..., the games/matches did have some actual (attractive) cheerleaders on the court during half time and breaks. But the TV folks seemed to go out of their way to AVOID showing any of them...even when there was nothing else to see during break times... by panning back to the wide angle arena/stadium views... Someone got a problem with cheerleaders????

I suggest that we start a grass roots movement to make Huggy the International Commissioner of Soccer!!

I made the mistake once (only once) while in a drunken state at a bar full of Euros that soccer would only be interesting if they got rid of the goalies. Seriously, I nearly got a beating from the group, I raised quite the roucus.

I made the mistake once (only once) while in a drunken state at a bar full of Euros that soccer would only be interesting if they got rid of the goalies. Seriously, I nearly got a beating from the group, I raised quite the roucus.

C'mon now, Huggy. You don't expect us to believe that European soccer fans would actually get violent, do you? :o

C'mon now, Huggy. You don't expect us to believe that European soccer fans would actually get violent, do you? :o

I think after watching a bunch of candyass crybabies run up and down the field for two hours, flinging themselves on the ground as though attacked by a lion, drinking the whole time during another thrilling nil-nil match................most of us would probably get violent.

[

You don't have to get that drastic--just get rid of the offsides rule! :o

I think after watching a bunch of candyass crybabies run up and down the field for two hours, flinging themselves on the ground as though attacked by a lion, drinking the whole time during another thrilling nil-nil match................most of us would probably get violent.

My thoughts exactly! Especially the lion thing. I would add a rule that hockey has about "diving". Anybody faking a trip or injury gets penalized. I suggest a good beating!!

Hello Everyone,

I live on Koh Samui and debating on whether to get Game Pass. Last year, my internet connection, even though DSL, was too slow to watch a game live. But this year, the NFL game pass website says it has a new type of video player and when I played the demo, it was beautiful! It was a 16 minute video clip of last years SuperBowl and it streamed like I was hotwired to the server!

IF, the real product will be as good then I will have no hesitation buying.

My question is this, who HAS bought the new Game Pass and watched a live broadcast and does it stream very well like their demo?

Thanks.

Chris

My thoughts exactly! Especially the lion thing. I would add a rule that hockey has about "diving". Anybody faking a trip or injury gets penalized. I suggest a good beating!!

Interesting. I brought up all this talk about soccer by simply asking whether True messed around with their schedules like they do with American Football, and have yet to have anyone answer this question. I guess none of us actually waste our time watching that drivel.

Edited by Old Man River

Hello Everyone,

I live on Koh Samui and debating on whether to get Game Pass. Last year, my internet connection, even though DSL, was too slow to watch a game live. But this year, the NFL game pass website says it has a new type of video player and when I played the demo, it was beautiful! It was a 16 minute video clip of last years SuperBowl and it streamed like I was hotwired to the server!

My question is this, who HAS bought the new Game Pass and watched a live broadcast and does it stream very well like their demo?

Thanks.

Chris

Good question. Any answers?

I downloaded the media player and watched the demo. Perfect.

Maybe we will find out tomorrow.

Do you think Shawn Merriman is an idiot?

The Chargers open against Carolina. The same team that shattered Daunte Culpepper's knee, crushed Chris Simms' spleen, and then got back to basics by trashing Jason Taylor's knee. I think Merriman and his two torn knee ligaments should take a week off.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks.

Chris

Good question. Any answers?

I downloaded the media player and watched the demo. Perfect.

Maybe we will find out tomorrow.

If anybody here does go with Game Pass tomorrow, I'd also like to know what they provide for pre-game and post-game coverage, if anything.