American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, if Rex Grossman can take a team to the Superbowl there is still hope.

Except Grossman is better than Cassel.

The Pats took a long, hard look at Cassel during the pre-season and he was dismal. The decision had already been made to bring in an experienced back up for Brady and then release Cassel. This is why Simms and Rattay had already been invited to talk to Belichick before Brady got hurt.

They don't need a star, they are already a good football team, they just need someone better than Cassel.

T.O. spouts off again:

“The fans and just the excitement of me coming there and being there, it became too overwhelming for Donovan,” Owens said Thursday. “I think at one point in time, I will say that we had a good relationship. I think I got too big for Philly, too big for him. I just feel like in a sense that he felt like I was just probably getting too much attention.”

“I feel strong about my position and what happened in Philly, and I really don’t feel like it was my fault,” Owens said.

What a whiny b*tch . . can't wait until he implodes the Cowboys when times get tough.

T.O. spouts off again:

“The fans and just the excitement of me coming there and being there, it became too overwhelming for Donovan,” Owens said Thursday. “I think at one point in time, I will say that we had a good relationship. I think I got too big for Philly, too big for him. I just feel like in a sense that he felt like I was just probably getting too much attention.”

“I feel strong about my position and what happened in Philly, and I really don’t feel like it was my fault,” Owens said.

What a whiny b*tch . . can't wait until he implodes the Cowboys when times get tough.

Two straight playoff losses and no finger pointing. He could have easily opened up against Romo in the last loss since the entire media was already doing so. Instead, T.O. stepped up with his famous line: "That's my quarterback." He followed that comment with "we lost as a team."

Given what we have seen out of him in Dallas, maybe he is right about the situation in Philly.

T.O. spouts off again:

"The fans and just the excitement of me coming there and being there, it became too overwhelming for Donovan," Owens said Thursday. "I think at one point in time, I will say that we had a good relationship. I think I got too big for Philly, too big for him. I just feel like in a sense that he felt like I was just probably getting too much attention."

"I feel strong about my position and what happened in Philly, and I really don't feel like it was my fault," Owens said.

Two straight playoff losses and no finger pointing. He could have easily opened up against Romo in the last loss since the entire media was already doing so. Instead, T.O. stepped up with his famous line: "That's my quarterback." He followed that comment with "we lost as a team."

Given what we have seen out of him in Dallas, maybe he is right about the situation in Philly.

just wait . . it's coming . . did you ever notice romo forces balls to TO to keep him happy? yes, romo knows how to handle TO and puts up with him in ways donovan could not . . but if TO doesn't get his touches and put up the numbers he wants, you can bet his selfish, cry-baby antics will follow. i used to defend TO after his first year in philly too. even if there is some truth in what TO is spouting, he is still a problematic premadona who cares nothing about team . .

hey, aren't you going to take my bait and reply with some talk . . common it's eagles vs. dallas on monday night :o

TO has matured a measurable amount since his days in Philly and San Fran... this Dallas team is very much intact and I don't see them disintegrating anytime soon.

That is exactly my view. I imagine it is hard for fans from SF or Philly to think that, but in Dallas he has been team, team, team. In fact, the Cowboys have given him the job of keeping Pacman straight, and they wouldn't have let him be the mentor if they didn't think he was mature enough.

Now, Pacman is a different story. Sooner or later that guy is going to be trouble. I do think they made a mistake here.

T.O. spouts off again:

"The fans and just the excitement of me coming there and being there, it became too overwhelming for Donovan," Owens said Thursday. "I think at one point in time, I will say that we had a good relationship. I think I got too big for Philly, too big for him. I just feel like in a sense that he felt like I was just probably getting too much attention."

"I feel strong about my position and what happened in Philly, and I really don't feel like it was my fault," Owens said.

just wait . . it's coming . . did you ever notice romo forces balls to TO to keep him happy? yes, romo knows how to handle TO and puts up with him in ways donovan could not . . but if TO doesn't get his touches and put up the numbers he wants, you can bet his selfish, cry-baby antics will follow. i used to defend TO after his first year in philly too. even if there is some truth in what TO is spouting, he is still a problematic premadona who cares nothing about team . .

hey, aren't you going to take my bait and reply with some talk . . common it's eagles vs. dallas on monday night :o

After last year, when the Cowboys beat the Giants twice and lost by 4 to them in the Championship game, I really think the only thing that matters is getting to the playoffs. It is a divisional game so it is important, but it counts the same as a Cowboys/Cardinal game.

TO has matured a measurable amount since his days in Philly and San Fran... this Dallas team is very much intact and I don't see them disintegrating anytime soon.

maybe a little . . but he still puts himself ahead of the team . . take for instance the 15 yard penalty he got last week for his touchdown celebration. he knew he was going to get it, and he still did it anyway . . team first, yeah right. do you think TO would take a backseat to anyone on that team? he wouldn't for parcells? why would he now?

T.O. spouts off again:

After last year, when the Cowboys beat the Giants twice and lost by 4 to them in the Championship game, I really think the only thing that matters is getting to the playoffs. It is a divisional game so it is important, but it counts the same as a Cowboys/Cardinal game.

disagree . . in the standings, yeah . . but you want to take control of the division and make a statement early. i mean, it's not like it's a december nfc east matchup, but it is a big early season game.

I found these two games in the schedule for TrueSport 4

Title Date/Time

(62)

NFL 2008/2009

003: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS @ MINNESOTA VIKINGS (15-SEP-2008) 15-Sep-2008 00:00

004: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS @ N.Y. JETS (15-SEP-2008) 15-Sep-2008 03:15

with multiple replays

T.O. spouts off again:

disagree . . in the standings, yeah . . but you want to take control of the division and make a statement early. i mean, it's not like it's a december nfc east matchup, but it is a big early season game.

It is a big game because it is a divisional game and perhaps important from a tie breaker standpoint, but it is just one game in a long season. Really what will be important is that they don't beat up on each other's quarterbacks. Both of these teams have strong defenses and it will be hard hitting for sure.

I wish I could see it, but probably not. Last year, True had a replay of the MNF games on Friday nights. Do you know if they will do that this year?

I found these two games in the schedule for TrueSport 4

Title Date/Time

(62)

NFL 2008/2009

003: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS @ MINNESOTA VIKINGS (15-SEP-2008) 15-Sep-2008 00:00

004: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS @ N.Y. JETS (15-SEP-2008) 15-Sep-2008 03:15

with multiple replays

GREAT! Now I'll be able to check the time delay between Truevisions and 'NFL Game Pass'. I'll have them both on, because the 'NFL Game Pass' broadcast includes all of the "studio highlight" breaks that we don't get on TV, as well as the half-time show. (Oh, and, of course, those "great" commercials. Who'd want to miss those?) ;-)

The rest of the Sept schedule is also now on the TV website. It shows:

CARDINALS @ REDSKINS and STEELERS @ EAGLES next weekend

VIKINGS @ TITANS and REDSKINS @ COWBOYS on Monday morning, Sept 29.

The bad news, for those of you without streaming or NFL Game Pass, is that they still do not show any plans to broadcast the Sunday or Monday night games.

It is a big game because it is a divisional game and perhaps important from a tie breaker standpoint, but it is just one game in a long season. Really what will be important is that they don't beat up on each other's quarterbacks. Both of these teams have strong defenses and it will be hard hitting for sure.

I wish I could see it, but probably not. Last year, True had a replay of the MNF games on Friday nights. Do you know if they will do that this year?

OMR, they showed replays of those MNF games last year because they were broadcasting them 'live' on Tuesday mornings, via 'GOAL TV'. I don't believe we'll get replays of any games that are not initially broadcast 'live' on Truevisions.

As for the Cowboys - Eagles game, I subscribe to Belichick's philosophy. He always places a higher importance on Divisional games, than on others. His target (beyond the obvious "one game at a time" mantra) is to win the Division, and, thus, at least one home game in the Playoffs. The next target is to be one of the top 2 Division winners, and get that BYE in the first week. To state the ridiculously obvious, it's easier to win 3 games than it is to win 4! :-) But that is much less tangible on a game-by-game basis than is having a Division opponent on the field in front of you.

The Division Title is very important; and every Divisional game, regardless of the point in the season when it is played, is a high priority.

T.O. spouts off again:

sorry, don't know . . don't even have true; have yahoo gamepass

maybe a little . . but he still puts himself ahead of the team . . take for instance the 15 yard penalty he got last week for his touchdown celebration. he knew he was going to get it, and he still did it anyway . . team first, yeah right. do you think TO would take a backseat to anyone on that team? he wouldn't for parcells? why would he now?

Did I say team first? I said he's matured a measurable amount since his days in San Fran and Philly.

As for the Cowboys - Eagles game, I subscribe to Belichick's philosophy. He always places a higher importance on Divisional games, than on others. His target (beyond the obvious "one game at a time" mantra) is to win the Division, and, thus, at least one home game in the Playoffs. The next target is to be one of the top 2 Division winners, and get that BYE in the first week. To state the ridiculously obvious, it's easier to win 3 games than it is to win 4! :-) But that is much less tangible on a game-by-game basis than is having a Division opponent on the field in front of you.

The Division Title is very important; and every Divisional game, regardless of the point in the season when it is played, is a high priority.

Winning the division is the first goal. However, losing one divisional game does not make or break an entire season (as you are likely to find out this year). Dallas won the division last year, but somehow managed to lose to the Eagles. It is a long, long season with many games to play and one loss isn't the end of the world in the NFL (unless it is in the SB :o ).

CARDINALS @ REDSKINS and STEELERS @ EAGLES next weekend

VIKINGS @ TITANS and REDSKINS @ COWBOYS on Monday morning, Sept 29.

What will these be on True Sports 4? I only get 1-3 and don't like the way they teased me last week.

Right now, the Truevisions website is listing all NFL games plus Game Day on TS4.

Did I say team first? I said he's matured a measurable amount since his days in San Fran and Philly.

maybe . . i'm still not convinced . . regardless he still needs someone to shut him up. lets resume this debate in two years . .

NFL PROGRAM ALERT!

'NFL Game Day' is on NOW on TS4!

Congratulations! I saw the game and Cassel did exactly what he was supposed to, no more/no less. He certainly didn't get any help from Moss, who dropped more passes than he caught (he held on to just 2).

Where Cassel will get in trouble is if the Pats get behind and he needs to throw to win. The Pats need a QB that can do that if they are to get back to the SB. Fortunately, they have Miami next week (which is like a bye), then a bye, then SF before they play their "season opener" against SD. Plenty of time to bring someone else in.

maybe . . i'm still not convinced . . regardless he still needs someone to shut him up. lets resume this debate in two years . .

Shut him up for what? He hasn't caused any media controversy recently and there is no underlying dispute with him and Romo.

Congratulations! I saw the game and Cassel did exactly what he was supposed to, no more/no less. He certainly didn't get any help from Moss, who dropped more passes than he caught (he held on to just 2).

Where Cassel will get in trouble is if the Pats get behind and he needs to throw to win. The Pats need a QB that can do that if they are to get back to the SB. Fortunately, they have Miami next week (which is like a bye), then a bye, then SF before they play their "season opener" against SD. Plenty of time to bring someone else in.

Thanks, OMR. But you're dead wrong on the Cassel situation. There will not be anyone else brought in to start at QB for the Patriots. Matt Cassel is growing into the job. There may be a vet brought in as backup; but not as the starter.

As you pointed out, Cassel did a very good job of running a conservative game plan. He made no serious judgment errors, and thus ensured perfect ball security. His slowness to recognize defenses, and improvised breaks by Moss and other receivers, was to be expected for such an inexperienced QB. But the judgment and perfect ball security issues can not be over emphasized. Great job for kid starting his first game beyond high school level!

As you also pointed out, the schedule gives him two games against relatively weak defenses, plus a bye week of intensive film and practice, to continue his improvement without facing "championship level" opposition. Great break for him, and the Patriots.

Don't worry about Moss. He and Cassel, with Brady assisting, will likely be spending a lot of time working together to develop the "silent recognition and communication" that made the Brady-Moss combination so dangerous. Right now, Cassel's defense recognition skills are weak. That is a skill that can only be improved with experience. When that comes, look for Cassel's ability to come off his primary target, and make those critical second and third reads, with enough time to get the ball off, rather than get sacked. When that happens, the Cassel to Moss combination will be there. I'd suggest that we can look for that by time Thanksgiving rolls around.

This will take time. But Cassel has shown that he has both the physical skills and arm, and the football intelligence, to continue to improve. Nobody, including Cassel and Belichick, can predict where his ceiling is. But I'm confident that it's well above the "safe and sane" performance we saw against both the Chiefs and the Jets.

Make no mistake about it, Matt Cassel will be the Patriots starting QB for the remainder of the year. And I believe that will include at least some participation in the Playoffs!