How Long Have You Been In Thailand

the gentleman

3 months/year tourist 15 years long, then staying 5 years in Phuket where I "own" a house and was running a little print & Internet publishing business. Ever doing riht with everything (visa, taxes, girlfriend, work permit...)

Then kicked out the country because a stupid problem with a farang neighbour for wich I was 95% innocent but his lawyer was much better than my poor mine... Now blacklisted...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been enjoying this thread, but am disappointed that it appears to be on the wane. It certainly has been providing an insight of peoples views on life in the LOS, and I have enjoyed making contact with one or two people of a similar age to myself, and would hope that more Forum members take the time to respond to this thread and thus share experiences and practical help and advice.

Great thread...... interesting to get to know the people behind the posts!

I'm a 32 yr old Irish lad with a touch of the blarney! Came here over 2 years ago on an Expat contract for a diamond company - im the geeky IT guy for the company.

Just about to buy a restuarant on Sukhumvit after looking for ages and ages.... my gf will run it (and hopefully not into the ground!!!).....

LBFM , Vietnam war slang for "Comfort Ladies " used by the US military, that great bastion of tactics and intellect..etc

I believe the abbreviation stands for "Little Brown ###### machines".

A hideous term IMO , the full version would be suffixed with a "PBR"

That meaning " Powered by rice".

Eloquent, no?

:o First visit to LOS was 1997 been over many times since then.

Still living in the UK at the moment.

Met my TGF last year and plan to marry late 2004.

Already bought some land near PHIMAI.

All going well,want to build a small quest house,buy a load of mountain bikes hire them out to the guests.

And an old rocking chair for me to watch the world go bye..

Hi:

Spent a year as an IT professor in Hua Hin. Now I am with the US Army in Baghdad...which is quite a change. Contantly scheming & planning (plotting?) about the possibility of a return.

I am not sure that I can find a rewarding career (programmer, network administration, IT security.) in the LOS. There are jobs in LOS but I much prefer western-style work environments. After work though, there is no question that I want to live in Thailand...the markets, the khlongs, the food stalls, the noise, the smells and the smiles. I am even starting to miss the BKK traffic every once in a while :o

This thread is great...thanks to whoever started it.

Bryan

Started in 1987 as an interested backpacker, followed by several other holiday sojourns. Always a favourite place is Thailand. Then just when I was planning a major re-adjustment to my life, I found a job in tourism and moved to LOS in 1999. Still working in tourism and now looking for opportunities in import/export.

This year or next will marry TGF and think about the future. Would like to open a multi purpose business capable of trading, e-commerce, travel and education. Interested in sustainable ventures with equitable returns for local interests. My educational background is in Leisure/Sport and Tourism Managament.

Ned

A favourite Thai saying.......mai long mai ruu !!

started coming to southeast asian in 1994. decided to make the big move in 1998. this month, 5 years 5 months. time flies..... still like hanging out here. used to work it the IT field. turn 50 next may. like fishing, and bowling.

First visted here in 1995, went back to the US and all I could think about was LOS. Kept coming back 4 or 5 times a year, finally took early retirement from a gov't job and moved here 4 years ago. Married 4 years, and spend 4 to 6 months traveling, with Bangkok as home. Just love this place, completely different way of thinking than where I came from. Sure makes for a better life.

Arrived in 1971 and stayed for 13 years, felt I was in a rut and got a job in West Africa for 4 years (not my smartest career or lifestyle decision!) Came back to Thailand and been here ever since.

Thai citizen now, running my own Companies and enjoying life to the max, as a close friend of mine used to say "they'll burn me here".

kwiz117 Posted: Thu 2003-12-11, 13:16:39

Group: Members

Member No.: 3,033

I am from Sri Lanka. Probably the only Asian in this forum.

3 Yrs in Thailand. Living in Bangkok and married to a Thai.

Chartered Accountant by profession. Unfortunately it's Ban for Expats in Thailand. So, change to IT.

Waiting until my wife finishes her studies. Very disapointed with the attitude of thai's against the Asian's. Planning to migrate to a western country. This is not the place for both of us.

--------------------

Kwiz

Khun ? Posted: Thu 2003-12-11, 15:38:36

Group: Members

Member No.: 4,339

QUOTE (kwiz117 @ Thu 2003-12-11, 06:16:39)

I am from Sri Lanka. Probably the only Asian in this forum.

3 Yrs in Thailand. Living in Bangkok and married to a Thai.

Chartered Accountant by profession. Unfortunately it's Ban for Expats in Thailand. So, change to IT.

Waiting until my wife finishes her studies. Very disapointed with the attitude of thai's against the Asian's. Planning to migrate to a western country. This is not the place for both of us.

You seem to be independant in a certain way. The dislike of people from your area

is mainly due to the goodness of a country to let you earn a decent way of life you ( people from your area) show up with 50 more relatives and they with 50 more that take advantage of the very system that cost most of us dearly and years of hard labor.

We have to show up with what we need to survive and not feed off the backs of the locals and

we never bring 50 others ( english teachers in thailand excluded) that feed off the hospitality of the host nation. We are proud of sacrifice and independant self supporting honest living. Do not take this negatively if it does not apply to you.

hmmm,not sure if i understand this??

most english schools do not employ blacker ppl than thais as they want to sell the lessons and thais have little respect 4 ppl darker than them..

as for feeding off the host nation where is my dole money and housing allowance..

i have worked in sri lanka and thai and i would say sri lankas workers were better and had more ethics...but there country aint no fun lol.

for info on black teachers goto www.ajarn.com

Can you explain this a little better? Scams---Over priced goods---Knifepoint/Gunpiont---Breakins---What???

What's a LBFM?

Hi Marshy,

robbed solely by bargirls & GTG..... mobiles, cash etc., caught one just this week lifting a Nokia.

Cost her 3KB to put things right.

Yes, LBFMPBR I got from my mates in commercial aviation in Oz. NOT the US Armed forces. :o

Im mixed English/Colombian........

I dont actually live in Thailand full time I just go every year, and have done for the since 1999, for around 3-4 months every year just to relax. Usually stay in BKK and Phuket. The rest of the year I am in the UK, and go to other countrys on business. My work..............an International Crimminal :D heehee! :o

40 year old Englishman (from Yorkshire)

First came to Thailand (BKK only) in 93' on my way to OZ spent two days there and didn't really like it. Met my Thai wife in England and then came back on holiday in 99 and liked it.

Sold up in 2002 and moved to Phuket, made a few mistakes but haven't really lost a lot of my capital. Now working as an IT freelancer and making a living.

Previously worked in Saudi for 4 years, also in IT.

I really love Phuket it has everything I want. We live in the very south of the island about 500m from a very nice beach. Made some very good friends both Thai and farang (more than I ever did in London).

phuket Mike

I'm italian 44 years old.

First time in Thailand 1986. Holidays almost every year since (apart from hard times when just married and bought house in Italy). Met my wife in Thailand, but lived in Italy. I've been retired since november 2000 (for health reasons),and spent four-five months a year in Thailand since.

My house in Thailand is in Raway Phuket. Rest of the year in Rome.

• 1 month later...

Bluecat get outta here and take your Oxford Dictionary of Famous Sayings with you. All right, all right...I ain't been here long, just been out of work for awhile and now broke and ornery...

someone said that Thailand had good, cheap cheeseburgers and pizza and I believed her. Now we don't have sex no more and I worry as the house is in her name.

(Plachon, Chonabot and Dr PP don't laugh...I had the best intentions...)

someone said that Thailand had good, cheap cheeseburgers and pizza and I believed her.

Ok, the last one for today,...

I do believe her, though I know she lies.  Shakespeare

By the way, Tutsiwarrior, something that interests me but probably not that many other people.

Where in the Tutsi world were you?

Long, long time ago, I lived for four years in Burundi.

Where were you?

Bluecat...head west a few thousand miles from Tutsiland and you will find Tutsibolivia...I lived in Tutsicochabamba...

Bunch of savages...the women have sex with their bras on...

The handle is adaptable...in one incarnation I was Dustin Hoffman in the famous movie...then there is the famous sweet in the US (Tutsi-roll). Never was a victim or perpetrator of genocide (no disrespect to the victims).

Don't know what I was thinking about when I chose Tutsiwarrior...but it rolls quite nicely off the tongue...