Thai Airway Vs Eva Air

jmdf103

i'm looking to fly to bangkok from heathrow london this week. A one way ticket with thai airways is 437 quid (only 14 quid more than with eva air). i have never flown with eva are they any good?

any opinions?

thanks.

Edited by jmdf103

There would not be any Taipei connection involved in a flight from the UK.

My experience (five years out of date) with EVA ground crew has been totally negative and a discount airline feeling. That said preferred flying them to any others because of the low fare difference for the much more comfortable seating of deluxe class. If flying economy Thai would have been my choice.

In premium economy class, I'd choose Thai. I've flown both, and prefer the spaciousness, food, and amenities on Thai.

In economy, I'd choose EVA, primarily because of the in-flight entertainment on EVA. Like someone already mentioned, some Thai flights don't have individual screens on the backs of seats.

With EVA they use 747 or 777 (twin engine). If you look at the schedules you can book a 747 flight. It's a direct flight. Food is crap. :huh:

In my experience Thai were old smelly & scruffy and way behind the times with their one central screen etc BUT definately more room than EVA, which I felt was cramped but modern with good entertainment.

(economy class)

Try and sleep for most of it and it isnt quite so bad either way, enjoy your trip :)

Have flown both last year. Better in flight entertainment on EVA, food and service better on Thai. Thai planes older but still ok, drinks more available on thai. Frozen Heineken is difficultn to dispence on EVA! Thai was a lot better experience for me.

My experience (five years out of date) with EVA ground crew has been totally negative and a discount airline feeling. That said preferred flying them to any others because of the low fare difference for the much more comfortable seating of deluxe class. If flying economy Thai would have been my choice.

I had the opposite experience, the check in desk supervisor / manager helped me negotiate with Immigration for over an hour as I had an overstay due to a flight cancellation caused by the volcano incident earlier this year. She was very helpful.

I find the economy seats in Eva to be fine, they have seatback video sets in the 747 and 777's. My only gripe is that the Bangkok to London flight leaves around midday which as far as I'm concerned is the wrong time of day to get on a 12 hour flight - I want to do a flight like this overnight so I can sleep.

For flights from London to Bangkok or Bangkok to London - they are direct with no stops. The flight does start in Taipei and finishes in Taipei but this doesn't affect anyone just traveling between London / Bangkok.

Have flown both last year. Better in flight entertainment on EVA, food and service better on Thai. Thai planes older but still ok, drinks more available on thai. Frozen Heineken is difficultn to dispence on EVA! Thai was a lot better experience for me.

The EVA flights are by far better IMHO get a seat at the back and the drinks keep on coming in my flights with them.

ok thanks guys, think ill try eva this time, the backseat entertainment sounds good. Although the eva flight is a 2 engined plane as opposed to thai airways 4 engined plane, but ill take the chance!

Don't worry about the number of engines an aircraft has. Twin engined variants are much more fuel efficient than their 4 engined predecessors. You'll be flying a 777-300 which is the stretched version of the original 777-200 model. If you've seen a 747 engine up close, then you'll note that the 777 engine is about one and a half times larger overal. If one engine fails in flight, the 777 can fly quite safely on a single engine albeit at a lower altitude and somewhat slower. Usually, a pilot will either return to the departure airport or divert to a closer one if an engine fails in flight.

If you haven't bought your ticket yet though, go to http://www.evaair.co...ml/b2c/english/ and signup to their frequent flyer program. It's a long haul flight, so you'll earn around 14,000 air miles for the whole trip which you can either 'spend', or save. Generally speaking, 60,000 air miles will get you a free return flight to the same destination. If you book via a travel agent, just quote your EVA membership number.

I have to vote & travel TG(+British Midland) because of domestic flight connections.

At this time of year ,airlines are "slightly" more cooperative if you are on a thru-ticket ,rather than 2 separate (domestic with Air Asia)

Another factor is the late arrival in LHR ,that misses my onward with British Midland

TG would win more votes ,if they introduced the personal Tv in economy class.

Wiley Coyote

Food on Eva is much better BKK to LHR. I'm not fussy with airline grub: I'll eat and drink most things offered, as much to break up the boredom as anything. But some of the food out from LHR borders on inedible.

If they're not responding to your trolley dolly call button, have a wander over to the nearest galley and ask politely (for a drink, that is :D ).

Edited by Siam Simon

TG are investing in new hardware including upgraded cabins.

I have flown Elite (premium economy) on EVA and it was obviously better than any economy. If TG brought that in, I would fly that instead of forking out for business, which I am now less able to do. In fact, I would make that the minimum standard for long haul economy.

When I have flown economy on TG, I found they were pretty good about exit doors. The last time was when they substituted an A340 for the 744 so I had the precious mini tv.

My only grip with TG is that whenever I have qualified for upgrades courtesy of being a gold ff member, I have been unable to use it because of one rule or other.

I have flown Elite (premium economy) on EVA and it was obviously better than any economy. If TG brought that in, I would fly that instead of forking out for business, which I am now less able to do.

Thai Airways does have an equivalent....called Premium Economy Class....at least on the segment that I usually fly. And it felt much more spacious than EVA Elite/Evergreen class.

I have flown Elite (premium economy) on EVA and it was obviously better than any economy. If TG brought that in, I would fly that instead of forking out for business, which I am now less able to do. In fact, I would make that the minimum standard for long haul economy.

When I have flown economy on TG, I found they were pretty good about exit doors. The last time was when they substituted an A340 for the 744 so I had the precious mini tv.

My only grip with TG is that whenever I have qualified for upgrades courtesy of being a gold ff member, I have been unable to use it because of one rule or other.

Once I received the excuse ,"We are very busy at this time,why don't you travel when we are not so busy ?"

I have flown Elite (premium economy) on EVA and it was obviously better than any economy. If TG brought that in, I would fly that instead of forking out for business, which I am now less able to do.

Thai Airways does have an equivalent....called Premium Economy Class....at least on the segment that I usually fly. And it felt much more spacious than EVA Elite/Evergreen class.

If they brought that in for the LHR-BKK route, I would use it twice a year at least.

if you are on a budget, you could easily save a lot of money by flying KUWAIT AIR. they usually have the cheapest one-way-fares to Europe, though of course they are not exactly the nicest Airline on earth and far far inferior than EVA or THAI. check their websites, as the one-way-fares can be easily bought online.

If money is no concern, forget them ^^

EVA is pretty good, though the food, even in business class, is terrible, and they are very stingy with the alcohol.

Spot on. EVA's one weakness is their food & drink. Usually ok ex BKK, often disgusting ex London. I eat Yo Sushi in Terminal 3 before flying out of London and then go to sleep!

Otherwise the all-round service is the best on the direct route. Their hostesses are super and work like Trojan's - you will never be dehydrated on EVA because they will be round with juices every 30 minutes overnight. I'm sure you can get more alcoholic drinks by asking. EVA have also started copying BA in offering free snack bars at the back.

Thai's f&d is much better and the drinks more generous, but their planes are decrepit and the in-flight entertainment is an industry benchmark for awful (on that route). Both EVA and Thai have delightful cabin crew - much better than the beautiful-to-look at but too-polyglot-to-be-effective crews of the Middle East one-stop merchants.

Then that brings me to the dragons of BA. A good well-managed airline ruined by overpaid lazy old ladies* (the gay guys are ok). The BA pilots are great - I love how they are allowed to express their usually laconic British wit over the intercom.

*Mind you - if the plane is going down I do believe the old girls would be the most experienced!

Just a word of advice. The 747-combi craft do NOT have seat back entertainment. Least the one I flew on from TPE to BKK that went onto Amsterdam. I do NOT know if the fly the route you desire.

The advantage with Eva is the seat back entertainment, Thai have a singe screen on their 747 flights.

If they brought that in for the LHR-BKK route, I would use it twice a year at least.

I believe Thai only has premium economy on planes where they already have seatback TVs in economy.

There's no premium economy on the 747s without the seatback TVs in economy...

• 2 weeks later...

EVA is pretty good, though the food, even in business class, is terrible, and they are very stingy with the alcohol.

I have been flying EVA from Bangkok to Los Angeles, twice a year, roundtrip, for the past 5 years. I have nothing but good things to say about this airline. Their prices have risen substantially in the past year, but that is the case with all of the airlines. Their premium economy is very good, and their business class is superb, for the money. The trick is to try to book only on their 777's, which are quite new, and beautifully equipped. I think their food is good, and the beverage service, and the service in general on their business class is great. If you fly enough, and get a gold card, you get generous luggage allowances, and use of all of their lounges. Also, their safety record is superb. I get one free round trip business class tickets, for every 8 round trips booked.I highly recommend EVA.