Christmas Card

JurgenG

I know what you're going to say, "Have you ever heard of emails ? ", "Do you know how many trees are cut for these dam_n cards ? " ...

But Christmas is a time that should be spent with family. Unfortunately this year again they will share a big Xmas lunch together while I'll probably be eating a quick Phad Thai at the airport. I will miss them of course but some of them, particularly the eldest and the younguest will miss me even more. That's why since I left home I send a card to all my relatives for Xmas.I know my card will stand proudly on top of the TV, will be shown to all the pensioners at the nursing home or will pass from hand to hand during recess.

The weirdest stuff is it's my gf who insisted I do that. Xmas has no meaning for her but she understands it's a very important family moment for us foreigners. She couldn't understand why I was so casual about it, so one day she came back home with a big pack of Xmas cards and said we're going to send them to everybody in my family. So we did it (you know the joke about the difference between a terrorist and a Thai gf ....). The answer was overwhelming, all January I kept receiving phone call and letters from long lost cousins and relatives, especially the oldest ones.

This morning I've just finished writing them, tomorrow I will drop them at the post office.

And you ?

Good for you! I know my mother proudly displays all her cards...and loves getting them. Since she is 80% blind, I help her send out cards. She just loves to do it. For sure emails are easier, and some are pretty dang neat, but cards are tradition and some people love it. You can do your carbon offsets somewhere else to make up! ;)

Since this is suppose to be related to Thailand, do you send out any to Thai's here in LOS?

I get your point

It's more "expat related" spending Xmas away from home, than strictly speaking "Thailand related" as you can have the same discussion if you're living in Singapore, Nicaragua or Kenya.

More "thailand related" is the importance Thai attach to family relation, it's my gf who insisted that I kept in touch with my family for this special occasion.

The Thais are very big on end-of-year gift giving except that all those gift baskets that you see in the stores are for New Year's Day not Christmas -- personally I always liked to give gifts on Epiphany Day as then they were not expected ... the 12th Day of Christmas afterall.

Greetings cards have to the biggest waste of all time. What purpose do they serve ?

Generally make the recipient happy, especially if it's from someone a long way away. I think Christmas is wank and getting away from it was one factor in moving abroad but as I get older, I appreciate that not everyone shares my opinion and it's a pretty easily made concession to the feelings of others - especially those of parents who are going to be popping their clogs pretty soon - to send a card once a year. And I think the baskets of Brand or Peptein (<deleted> kind of present is that?) are probably a bigger waste of money. Have you seen how expensive they are?

I send cards to family and friends back in the UK. But only because I collect Thai stamps and I can use blocks of four for postage and the recipients know to save the envelopes for next time I see them.

But even without that, there's something more personal about the postman arriving rather than opening gmail.

I always ask for "satem suay" at the PO, so you get fancy Thai stamps with pictures on, rather than the boring printed ones. Recipients often comment that they like these. I did have an unpleasant surprise this year having moved since last Christmas - my old PO used to put the stamps on for me, but the new one gave me 60 large stamps (two per envelope) to lick and stick myself (no pad for wetting them) - I'll be taking a bottle of water with me next year.