How Nasty Can A Neighbor Get?

sarahsbloke

Just encountered bit of nastiness from my neighbors wives, I live on a mooban in Doi Saket.

My wife has been in Bangkok for the past week for a religious party with her mother and daughter.

While she was there two neighboring wifes got together and phoned up her best friend telling her I had thrown all my wife's clothes out in the street and driven back and forth over them with my motorcycle.

Her friend (although not so sure she deserves that title any more) phones my wife up to repeat the rumor ... doesn't bother to check for herself, she lives in the same mooban so looking for herself would hardly have been an effort.

Luckily my wife has been phoning me up 3 times a day so tells her friend not bother her with silly gossip.

But how low can you get, trying to poison someone else's marriage with silly lies?

Edited by sarahsbloke

It doesn't actually surprise me. Silly women do stupid things all the time that have no bearing on reality or the consequences of their own actions. Jealousy is usually the motive. Or, it's the "woman scorned" syndrome.

The rumors are very habitual in a country side. I don't really pay an attention.

However, last week my wife called me a few times, at night for me, telling me that my dog had died ( didn't eat for 3 days-someone had probably poisoned him, they had waited until i go back to US).Also, someone stole a chicken, at night. I've been really worried about my piglets.

People have complained to my in-laws that i didn't buy them thai whiskey, to which i had replied that in return i want a Bentley.

Edited by neverback

You said it was neighbor's wives doing the back talking, I wonder if maybe their husbands aren't around a lot. Sometimes you may find yourself the target of harmful gossip that is really just expressing their frustration with their own relationships. Anyway, don't get upset about it.

Yes it's amazing how things can get exaggerated and invented.

Several years ago I was out for a cycle ride. As I rode out of the soi I went past a sleeping dog. It got up with a surprised yelp and ran into it's house. By the time I got home in a couple of hours the story had got round that I had kicked the dog as I went past, turned around, dismounted and gave the dog a good kicking. Wifey knew it was BS and doubted the owner had even seen anything, just heard her dog yelp. Anyone who has ridden a cycle in shoes with LOOK cleats will know how impossible it would be to chase down and kick a running dog.

Anyway, someone probably saw you ride over a discarded ripped t-shirt and the story snowballed from there.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Sarahsbloke,

Sorry to hear you are going through this disturbing experience !

But, surely you have some idea, some theory, about why someone(s) would be doing this ?

good luck, in any case, ~o:37;

There is no tale too fantastic for the Thai rumor mill.

The inability to filter BS and blindly accept anything is part of it, the second part is the total lack of regard to consequence of spreading misinformation.

A few weeks ago someone phoned my wife to tell her that her dad had shot himself. Everyone was very sad and no one was answering their phones in the village, so it took a long time to find out the story was untrue. Of course no apologies came forth and none were expected either.

Just look through Thai Visa and you will find an abundance of rumors. Gossip is not specific to any group.

Also, as has been alluded to in this thread, it is sometimes used as a way of getting back at someone for something they are unaware of... or are aware of.

MSPain

PS Don't forget the first and second WikiLeaks revelations

Edited by hml367

Gossip is all part of the fun of local community life.

I usually turn a deaf ear to it all, as most of the rumors about me are true anyway.

Some woman recently spread a rumor that my girlfriend is a slut and would do anything with one of more farangs for money. I thought if only these rumors were true, I could do with some more spice in my life. Maybe I could sue the woman for raising my hopes?

Sticks and stones may *************************

Edited by Beetlejuice

But, surely you have some idea, some theory, about why someone(s) would be doing this ?

They may not be a specific reason. Gossiping and story telling is endemic here just as corruption is. Often its quite harmless. Different peoples , different societies.

Sarahsbloke, so long as your wife says to ignore it suggext you do the same. Dont let it bother you.

One of the more common ways to try and drive a wedge between you, is for so called friends to slowly but constantly chip away at a wife, asking her if she has this or that, has he bought you a car like so and so, has he got extra pension he hasn't told you about, because Joe Blow gets a pension many thousands more than him, why doesn't he buy you gold like so and so, Joe Blow gives his family X per month, etc? All the time they use a comparison to another foreigner, hoping the wife they are goading will eventually feel she's got a bum deal or you must be lying or hiding something. If the woman is strong and she's happy it probably won't bother her, but if there is a weak link it will bother her tremendously and sow seeds of doubt.

It's vicious, wicked and nothing but pure jealousy. bah.gif

SB, glad to hear your wife has her feet planted on the ground. smile.gif

Talking Buffaloes. Amazing Thailand.

Luckily my wife generally doesn't have any dealings with the locals. She realized long ago that there'll be far more negativity than positivity in doing so. As a local who married a foreigner (her 27, me 30) after 5 yrs together, where she works hard to progress and make sure her life is going where she wants to be, she has no need or desire to take backwards steps and begin associating with the average idiot.

One of the more common ways to try and drive a wedge between you, is for so called friends to slowly but constantly chip away at a wife, asking her if she has this or that, has he bought you a car like so and so, has he got extra pension he hasn't told you about, because Joe Blow gets a pension many thousands more than him, why doesn't he buy you gold like so and so, Joe Blow gives his family X per month, etc? All the time they use a comparison to another foreigner, hoping the wife they are goading will eventually feel she's got a bum deal or you must be lying or hiding something. If the woman is strong and she's happy it probably won't bother her, but if there is a weak link it will bother her tremendously and sow seeds of doubt.

It's vicious, wicked and nothing but pure jealousy. bah.gif

SB, glad to hear your wife has her feet planted on the ground. smile.gif

yes i agree with you there,there is a lot of jealous,people out there,and most of them are so called friends of the missus,you get to know the vibes after a while though,(and who was that you were just talking too darling),lol.

SB, are you sure they didn’t report that you had thrown all your wife's clothes on and driven back and forth in them on your motorcycle out in the street?

You know how translations and word of mouth go some time. “Send 3 and 4 pence, where going to a dance!”

There is no Merit to both party in my view .

to spread untruth or to ill spoken of someone behind their back on a forum , to me the thin fine line is really hard to tell .

being a Man , you got to be better then that . is being able to handle what happening and not join the tell tale tall story game .

over the phone or over the street or over the forum . to bad mouth someone is in the first place not a decent act to start with .

just be sure of who you are and what we are and who you care and love .

the rest let them be .

is their freedom to do what ever there want .

and i was wondering that my neighbours were bad, ah ahh, at least these people here are "honest" in their "dishonesty", they stole things from my property and when the police came they openly admitted what they did and pointed out where the stole items were now kept in their property, the police, as you might expect in Thailand, listened carefully and then started questioning me about my passport, Visa, etc, yes, me, not them, been satisfied that all my documentation was ok and had nothing to screw me up, they left without try to fabricate anything false against me (at least that !).....

they had waited until i go back to US

That's the standard operating procedure, they watch your moves, then as soon as you are out of sight they will came in, at our home they wait we go out fo shopping and then they are inside in no time, the only way to counter-act is to beat them with their same tactic, by this i mean to make sure there is at least 1 or more person in the house 24/7, it might be difficult to achieve sometimes but there aren't many other effective choices available, these people do not have an occupation, they stay in their homes all the times and keeping an open eye on OUR home, it's a bit like been under a constant siege :lol:

Why do some people take all this chinwagging so seriously?

Many people are just like that in general. No one knows for sure what those who know us are really thinking.

I always say; if they`re not talking about me than they`ll be talking about someone else.

Our SB could say that his electric iron was broken and decided to run over his wife`s clothes with the motorbike to press them. Just wind them up, give them the traditional 2 finger salute and show you don`t care, that`s what I have always done.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Fair question. Such bizarre behaviour could be rooted in some historical event. It sounds like they want you off their patch maybe - has your wife's family had a running with them over something?

Do they consider you and/or her the wrong class/sort of neighbour?

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Edited by Contractor

So SB, Did you manage to get all the grease & bitumen stains off her clothing before she got home? :lol:

What a strange sort of neighbourhood you live in. :bah:

Luckily I am very good at washing and ironing .......... my wife did check out her white Buddha outfit when she thought I wasn't looking ....... just in case!

Obviously the gossips were too stupid to take a photo of me doing the dirty deed on their mobile phones.

And I'm glad they didn't notice all the women I sneaked into the house while my wife was away. (Lucky for me the neighbors are too stupid to make up a plausible story like that)

So SB, Did you manage to get all the grease & bitumen stains off her clothing before she got home? :lol:

What a strange sort of neighbourhood you live in. :bah:

Luckily I am very good at washing and ironing .......... my wife did check out her white Buddha outfit when she thought I wasn't looking ....... just in case!

Obviously the gossips were too stupid to take a photo of me doing the dirty deed on their mobile phones.

And I'm glad they didn't notice all the women I sneaked into the house while my wife was away. (Lucky for me the neighbors are too stupid to make up a plausible story like that)

They sound like the sort of people who probably think something's wrong with you for not sneaking women into your house, because that's what they would do. wink.gif

No disrespect meant.

The accusation is so far out there that it has to be a true accusation. Hard time imagining the mind to come up with one like that and expect people to believe it.:D

When I read the OP all though I don't know SB I had to laugh.

I saw a picture in my mind of a old man riding up and down over a pile of clothes and just chortling to himself.

It is truly amazing the stories they can come up with. And worse yet believe them.

Did your wife laugh when you told her.

I don't know you at all but I had assumed with a handle like Saarahsbloke she would not be Thai. I see some posters here respond as though she was Thai.

That is not a bash. My Thai wife is the best thing that ever happened to me.B)