Reluctant Retiree New Leader Of Thailand's Red Shirts - AFP Interview

webfact

Reluctant retiree new leader of Thailand's Red Shirts - Interview

by Rachel O'Brien

BANGKOK, December 15, 2010 (AFP) - A retired microbiology lecturer, mother and self-described middle-class intellectual is no obvious leader for Thailand's largely poor, rural and at times violent anti-government street movement.

The new head of the "Red Shirts", Thida Thavornseth, admits she never wanted the job and is quick to stress her independence from fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who is widely thought to be the movement's driving force.

"I don't care anything about Thaksin," she said in English, with a laugh, when asked about the divisive figure, who is hated by the elite but supported by many Red Shirts for his policies before a military coup ousted him in 2006.

"Maybe the grassroots think differently from me," the 66-year-old told AFP.

Sitting in her office, freshly painted in red at the organisation's headquarters inside a Bangkok shopping mall, Thida acknowledged her lack of public speaking experience and difficulties thinking of anything funny to say.

But despite her self-deprecation, she sees her non-violent, academic image as a good one for a movement weakened and fragmented after its April and May protests, during which more than 90 people died in clashes with armed troops.

"We will continue to rally but we have to be more careful so that it will not bring any damage," Thida said after being named acting chairwoman of the group, officially known as the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

"We want to move the democracy movement, the Red Shirt movement, in a way that we use knowledge, we use brains," she explained, as the protesters' lively Thai pop and folk music anthems drifted across from other rooms.

The Reds have faced criticism in the past that they lack a coherent and unified strategy.

The movement may be diminished but the colourful paraphernalia on display at various Red-themed shops and stalls here put a bright front on activities -- though Thida was hesitant to be photographed on the scarlet lips-shaped sofa.

She arrived at work after her daily visit to jailed husband Weng Tojirakarn, who is also a Red Shirt leader and like most senior figures has been locked up on terrorism charges since the end of the protests.

The two-month rally by the Reds attracted 100,000 people at its peak demanding immediate elections to oust a government they accuse of being elitist and undemocratic.

The demonstration came to a bloody end in May with a deadly army assault on the Red Shirts' base, after which a small band of militant protesters set dozens of buildings ablaze across Bangkok, including a glitzy shopping mall.

Now Thida's priority is getting her husband and fellow leaders released on bail, but until then she faces the challenge of filling the vacuum at the top.

"If we leave it too long there will develop anarchy. That will lead to many groups. They can do anything. Something ugly could happen," she said.

"We want to keep the democracy movement peaceful. We can't leave the people to do anything by themselves."

She expressed anger at claims that the Reds were paid to rally by Thaksin, who lives abroad to escape a jail term for corruption and is also wanted by the government on terrorism charges, accused of inciting and bankrolling unrest.

Thida said she had only once met and spoken to the former premier, whose ouster four years ago sparked the movement she now leads, and she insisted that the Reds' cause had moved beyond one man to a genuine struggle for democracy.

But she is yet to prove she can unite the grassroots, who are angered and splintered by the authorities' use of an emergency law, criticised by rights groups, to arrest scores of protesters and silence anti-government media.

Thida's profile was low at a rally in Bangkok on December 10 -- the first since she was voted in by the UDD leadership committee.

She was not a well-known face in the movement previously, preferring a behind-the-scenes role, with particular involvement in setting up political "schools" for Red Shirts.

"I will be very happy when the people, the poor ones, can understand politics, can say anything very smart about politics, about economics. I will be very proud," she said.

Despite her cerebral approach, Thida's political activism has not been confined to classrooms.

For six years after an army crackdown on student-led protests in Bangkok in 1976, she spent much of her time hidden in the jungle with her comrades in the Communist Party.

But her political epiphany came three years earlier, when she watched the army shoot and kill a young male student as it crushed another uprising: "That shocked me and that changed my world," she recalled.

Fast-forward nearly three decades to Thailand's still-tumultuous political landscape, and Thida's retirement looks set to be a busy one.

"We are planning for a long-term fight, not just a one-day fight. We want a fight that will bring sustainable solutions," she said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-12-15

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in summary:

- Thida is the acting chairwoman of the UDD, aka the Red Shirts.

- She is independent from Thaksin, and doesn't care anything for Thaksin, but maybe the grass roots think differently.

- Her main priority is to get the leaders released. Until then she is just filling the vacuum at the top.

- She sees her non-violent, academic image as a good one for a movement weakened and fragmented after its April and May protests

- "If we leave it too long there will develop anarchy. That will lead to many groups. They can do anything. Something ugly could happen," she said.

- "We will continue to rally but we have to be more careful so that it will not bring any damage,"

- She insisted that the Reds' cause had moved beyond one man to a genuine struggle for democracy. (but maybe the grass roots think differently)

So, since she is only acting leader, her non-violent, academic image, won't actually be in use if the violent leaders (who aren't so independent from Thaksin) are released from jail.

It already appears that there are many red shirt groups, so I think she has left it too long.

Look, i dont really care, Red/Yellows, Pro/Anti, but the one thing i do know is that Thailand is losing its political future.

What do you think is the average age of a Thai MP is.......... 60s?

The few "new" politicians are Western educated sons of the "Elites" trained to maintain the status quo.

And of the next generation, 99% of young Thais eem to have NO political thoughts, ideas or understanding.

The crushing of Thailands youth through idoctrination and the dulling of expectations is working.

But the pot grows ever smaller from which "good" people can enter politics and drive Thailand forward.

if i did not know better, i would say it is planned and has been going for many years.

Thailand is losing........and no one cares.

Look, i dont really care, Red/Yellows, Pro/Anti, but the one thing i do know is that Thailand is losing its political future.

The few "new" politicians are Western educated sons of the "Elites" trained to maintain the status quo.

And of the next generation, 99% of young Thais eem to have NO political thoughts, ideas or understanding.

The crushing of Thailands youth through idoctrination and the dulling of expectations is working.

But the pot grows ever smaller from which "good" people can enter politics and drive Thailand forward.

if i did not know better, i would say it is planned and has been going for many years.

Hell, most farangs don't care either - unless you stop selling beer on Sunday, and then all hell break's loose. :blink:

"We want to keep the democracy movement peaceful. We can't leave the people to do anything by themselves."

Hmmm starts with a blatant lie ---- since the reds, as history has shown, are anything but peaceful; and then goes on to suggest that redshirts can't be trusted!

Yeah, a great leader in the making!

Here we go...

Me and the wife were just listening to a speech by Abhisit in English on the radio - was for the opening of an Asian/Middle Eastern conference of sorts? Anyhow, he came across as honest, intelligent and extremely articulate. He's a much needed breath of fresh air given the PM's of Thailand over the past decade - Somchai, Samak, yes the reluctant Surayad, and anybody else I've missed? ;)

Here's a trip down memory lane for you - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7595473.stm

Give me the so-called "elite's" any day.

In my opinion you have it backwards to have a western education will not teach you to leave the status quo. It will show you how to change it.

And as long as the majority still have Thai educations it will not change very fast. But it will change with the inflow of new knowledge and ways to do things.

Every one is so eager to jump on the nameless elites. Do they ever stop to think that maybe they are wrong. Do these nameless elites want the violence so many people are willing to condone. Witness the recent events in Bangkok. Do you think they want that. Slowly but surely things will change.

People think they are doing good by pointing out how every new idea won't work. The fact is they are condemning it before given a chance.

Give the new blood time to find it's own voice. It is there but it must still fit into the old system.

So, in summary:

- Thida is the acting chairwoman of the UDD, aka the Red Shirts.

- She is independent from Thaksin, and doesn't care anything for Thaksin, but maybe the grass roots think differently.

- Her main priority is to get the leaders released. Until then she is just filling the vacuum at the top.

- She sees her non-violent, academic image as a good one for a movement weakened and fragmented after its April and May protests

- "If we leave it too long there will develop anarchy. That will lead to many groups. They can do anything. Something ugly could happen," she said.

- "We will continue to rally but we have to be more careful so that it will not bring any damage,"

- She insisted that the Reds' cause had moved beyond one man to a genuine struggle for democracy. (but maybe the grass roots think differently)

So, since she is only acting leader, her non-violent, academic image, won't actually be in use if the violent leaders (who aren't so independent from Thaksin) are released from jail.

It already appears that there are many red shirt groups, so I think she has left it too long.

I have only one question.

After reading the article.

Does she know it is the red shirts she is leading?

On the other hand she must she is trying to get there terrorist leaders out of jail. I wonder how she ballances that fact with peaceful intentions.

Oops forgot this is the lady who earlier said she could not find a peace activist who subscribed to red shirt principals.

I am confused.:huh:

I'm sure if she were even aware of the opinions of some frequently posting TV members, she'd be relieved that there is absolutely zero mileage to be gained from persuading any of them of her aims and sincerity.

Come to think of it, the same goes for political figures of all types in this country.

None of them give a tinker's cuss about any of us, so have no reason to try and impress us for one second. They will all do what they can to get the most out of their own constituencies. We are not a part of that enclosed system, but I guess for some it's still fun to throw stones in from the outside anyway, using foreign legal and moral frameworks and traditions as a base for their attacks.

Happy tossing, guys.

Edited by hanuman1

I'm sure if she were even aware of the opinions of some frequently posting TV members, she'd be relieved that there is absolutely zero mileage to be gained from persuading any of them of her aims and sincerity.

Come to think of it, the same goes for political figures of all types in this country.

None of them give a tinker's cuss about any of us, so have no reason to try and impress us for one second. They will all do what they can to get the most out of their own constituencies. We are not a part of that enclosed system, but I guess for some it's still fun to throw stones in from the outside anyway.

Happy tossing, guys.

If your reasoning is accurate, why are you posting about Thai politics?

The fact is that some of us (those living in Thailand with friends, spouses, colleagues, etc) DO have some minor (yes VERY minor) influence on change in Thailand. We sit and talk about ideas and people and what we see through different eyes and that does create change. (again -- minor change, but change none-the-less)

I know that my partner of 8 years decided not to vote for Thaksin in 2005 due to discussions we had about democracy and how bad it would be if one man had so much power that he could not be censured in parliament. So, in my estimation, your premise is flawed.

Here we go...

Me and the wife were just listening to a speech by Abhisit in English on the radio - was for the opening of an Asian/Middle Eastern conference of sorts? Anyhow, he came across as honest, intelligent and extremely articulate. He's a much needed breath of fresh air given the PM's of Thailand over the past decade - Somchai, Samak, yes the reluctant Surayad, and anybody else I've missed? ;)

Here's a trip down memory lane for you - http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/7595473.stm

Give me the so-called "elite's" any day.

What is even better is the man is not corruptible. That makes it all the better but his party members are - he is Thailand's best chance of a future and his current spat with his deputy may well bring about the toughness he needs to go to the next level. If he can remove Suthep and bring in, say Korn, there may be a real future and an undivided Thailand.

she spent much of her time hidden in the jungle with her comrades in the Communist Party.

Nuff said.

Not really. Many students and others were so disgusted by the Thanom-Prapas-Narong governing clique and the way they tried to crush the October rising in 1973 that a lot of them took to the hills and joined up with the Communists. They saw no alternative. Surayud's father (an army officer) was one. Most of them were amnestied a few years later. Some of them served in Thaksin's government.

I gather, though, that some are still committed to neo-Marxist ideas, including a moderate form of Leninism, in which the intelligentsia will lead the inarticulate and uneducated workers and peasants to a new social order. Thida sounds to me like one of them, rather like Ji Ungpakorn, not as crude as Somyos's "Red Power" group.

None of them give a tinker's cuss about any of us, so have no reason to try and impress us for one second. They will all do what they can to get the most out of their own constituencies. We are not a part of that enclosed system, but I guess for some it's still fun to throw stones in from the outside anyway.

Happy tossing, guys.

If your reasoning is accurate, why are you posting about Thai politics?

The fact is that some of us (those living in Thailand with friends, spouses, colleagues, etc) DO have some minor (yes VERY minor) influence on change in Thailand. We sit and talk about ideas and people and what we see through different eyes and that does create change. (again -- minor change, but change none-the-less)

I know that my partner of 8 years decided not to vote for Thaksin in 2005 due to discussions we had about democracy and how bad it would be if one man had so much power that he could not be censured in parliament. So, in my estimation, your premise is flawed.

Well, the main reason I post on politics is to express an opinion or two. It is not to try and make people think the same way I do, which seems to be your agenda.

Congratulations on your political conversions so far. They may be significant for your own personal reasons, but as you almost-rightly say, they amount to a minor (I would say insignificant) change. I say insignificant because although these 'micro-conversions' may be happening the length and breadth of the country in families where well-educated farangs sieze the opportunity of 'schooling' the locals about the perils of tyrrany, there is also the opposite effect occurring - which I'm sure you will have identified by now - of farangs being 'converted' by their Thai spouses towards the opposite end of the political spectrum.

Thus our 'minor' influence probably cancels itself out in the battle for hearts and minds which you seem to be so heartily engaged in.

With such a battle forming the backdrop to debates in this forum, it's no wonder that those seeking a balanced view are the ones who get marginalized.

Edited by hanuman1

I can't seem to quote the op!:o Anyway, here are the sentences that I wanted to comment about:

Now Thida's priority is getting her husband and fellow leaders released on bail, but until then she faces the challenge of filling the vacuum at the top.

"If we leave it too long there will develop anarchy. That will lead to many groups. They can do anything. Something ugly could happen," she said.

For a "Democracy Movement" the reds seem to be very hierarchical! :whistling: It seems to be a movement that has leaders - who may be on Thaksin's payroll - and followers - who do what the leaders tell them to do.

Shouldn't a democratic organization have mid-ranking people who have a vote on what the policies and actions of this organization should be? Shouldn't a democratic organization have grassroots leaders who were chosen by the rank and file members? Shouldn't a democratic organization operate in a democratic fashion?:ermm:

Nah Hanuman ---

My purpose is twofold

1--- to engage in the debate

and

2--- to counter the blatant lies told by the pro-thaksin folks --- so that the moderates may see that 'repeating something is true over and over, does not in fact, make it true"

(BTW --- don't you think that the conversion of farang to the red side is a non-issue unless those farang have become Thai citizens? Where the enlightenment of the electorate is an actual change?)

Edited by jdinasia

Not many have addressed Sombats statement that the reds are all top down (a criticism). Hopefully Thida will but coming from a Maoist background and having already been involved, to say the least, in the setting up of the Maoist style schools this would seem unlikley as "educating" the workers/peasants is a trait of that poltical line of thought.

Still of course hopefully things will move on and doubts can be gotten over and a true grass roots movement can take hold with leaders coming from and being selected by those at the bottom. Thailand until remains seeing its poltical movements across the full poltical spectrum dominated by characters emanating from the higher echelons of society.

Telling remark is:

We can't leave the people to do anything by themselves.

Nah Hanuman ---

My purpose is twofold

and

2--- to counter the blatant lies told by the pro-thaksin folks --- so that the moderates may see that 'repeating something is true over and over, does not in fact, make it true"

(BTW --- don't you think that the conversion of farang to the red side is a non-issue unless those farang have become Thai citizens? Where the enlightenment of the electorate is an actual change?)

Well then maybe it's just me who thinks the most repeated type of post in the news forum by far is the one that attacks anything to do with red-shirts and Taksin. We hear you. Be happy.

Your prejudice presupposed that when I said:

farangs sieze the opportunity of 'schooling' the locals about the perils of tyrrany

I was talking about a particular party. On the contrary, I didn't mention any party at all throughout the entire post. Your zeal for spreading 'enlightenment' colored the way you saw my post.

Kind of my point all along.

she spent much of her time hidden in the jungle with her comrades in the Communist Party.

Nuff said.

Not really. Many students and others were so disgusted by the Thanom-Prapas-Narong governing clique and the way they tried to crush the October rising in 1973 that a lot of them took to the hills and joined up with the Communists. They saw no alternative. Surayud's father (an army officer) was one. Most of them were amnestied a few years later. Some of them served in Thaksin's government.

I gather, though, that some are still committed to neo-Marxist ideas, including a moderate form of Leninism, in which the intelligentsia will lead the inarticulate and uneducated workers and peasants to a new social order. Thida sounds to me like one of them, rather like Ji Ungpakorn, not as crude as Somyos's "Red Power" group.

Indeed. And people like Weng, Thida & Chaturon joined when the students were brutally crushed at Thammasat on 6 Tula. Most of them were left-wing (some Marxist but far from all) pro-democracy activists, most of them didn't share the ideology of the CPT. But like you say, there was no alternative. They actually found the CPT too hierarchical & top-down, with little room for debate. They were stifled, which is one of the reasons that the CPT fizzled out.

I think Thida is still a Marxist, but I'm not absolutely sure. She was the one responsible for the red's political schools & ideology of class war (phrai vs amaat etc), but she & Weng have both been democracy activists since return from the jungle pretty much. I'd say her main focus is democracy with a left-wing tinge, Marxism can't be sold to the people at this point. Even Surachai, leader of Daeng Siam, who is traveling around the country doing seminars etc mainly focuses on democracy, although he is still a committed Marxist. The former socialists who joined PAD certainly believe in a Politburo style administration, I'm not sure that's true for Thida, although people say she does have a rather school mistress like "paternalist" manner. But she definitely wants to change people's political consciousness and get people to see things in terms of class. Somyot is certainly left-wing but not a Marxist according to one of his old professors. Agree with you about the crudeness. His magazines rather remind me of the small circulation ultra-left magazines that you can find in the UK, with titles like Workers' Power & Class War.

Not many have addressed Sombats statement that the reds are all top down (a criticism). Hopefully Thida will but coming from a Maoist background and having already been involved, to say the least, in the setting up of the Maoist style schools this would seem unlikley as "educating" the workers/peasants is a trait of that poltical line of thought.

Still of course hopefully things will move on and doubts can be gotten over and a true grass roots movement can take hold with leaders coming from and being selected by those at the bottom. Thailand until remains seeing its poltical movements across the full poltical spectrum dominated by characters emanating from the higher echelons of society.

Telling remark is:

We can't leave the people to do anything by themselves.

Good points. Although if you read Nick Nostitz's recent post on New Mandala, grassroots reds are having a lot more say about who the local leaders are, but it still needs to become much more bottom-up to be a true democracy movement though. Step-by-step. I suppose if I were to look at it from the perspective of the DAAD, then they perhaps needed someone to represent them and offer leadership ASAP. I think her last remark indicates that she means if people are left to their own devices to organize by themselves, things tend to get out of hand, we've already seen splinter groups involved in violence, whereas if people's discontent is expressed peacefully at organized DAAD rallies, all the better for the red shirts as a whole. It's not just about not inciting people to violence, people actually need to be actively discouraged and shown there are other options. But leaders on all sides need to stop treating the people like children imo.

None of them give a tinker's cuss about any of us, so have no reason to try and impress us for one second. They will all do what they can to get the most out of their own constituencies. We are not a part of that enclosed system, but I guess for some it's still fun to throw stones in from the outside anyway, using foreign legal and moral frameworks and traditions as a base for their attacks.

Happy tossing, guys.

One man's tosser, or thrower-in of stones from the outside, is perhaps another man's interested outside-observer, standing up for truth & freedom-of-speech, amidst a swirl of obfuscation and professional P.R./political-spin, perhaps ?

It might be called 'leading by example' ? B)

My questions to her would be - Do you acknowledge that Red Riots were very destructive and will you make an apology to the Thailand people for that earlier bad behaviour? Commit the Reds to repairing the damage they did, and not simply scatter like cockroaches when someone comes to "deal" with them. Burning down Bangkok on their way out was pretty bad. What is stopping them from a repeat, especially since many Reds are supportive of what happened and laugh and cheer when pictures of the burning come on TV.

Until the Reds take responsibility for what they have done there is little chance they will change. How many times have they said one thing and done another? So if she will denounce the violence in the past we might believe her. Right now I am sure the Red Leaders are willing to say anything in order to get their freedom, and since that her stated goal who is stupid enough to believe her empty words?

Nah Hanuman ---

My purpose is twofold

and

Well then maybe it's just me who thinks the most repeated type of post in the news forum by far is the one that attacks anything to do with red-shirts and Taksin. We hear you. Be happy.

Your prejudice presupposed that when I said:

farangs sieze the opportunity of 'schooling' the locals about the perils of tyrrany

I was talking about a particular party. On the contrary, I didn't mention any party at all throughout the entire post. Your zeal for spreading 'enlightenment' colored the way you saw my post.

Kind of my point all along.

Disingenuous of you I would say.

Congratulations on your political conversions so far. They may be significant for your own personal reasons, but as you almost-rightly say, they amount to a minor (I would say insignificant) change. I say insignificant because although these 'micro-conversions' may be happening the length and breadth of the country in families where well-educated farangs sieze the opportunity of 'schooling' the locals about the perils of tyrrany, there is also the opposite effect occurring - which I'm sure you will have identified by now - of farangs being 'converted' by their Thai spouses towards the opposite end of the political spectrum.

But of course, if the next election should see an new majority Government that is clearly anti Democrat party/anti Yellow, then the Military can casually forget the Constitution and their Service Oaths and simply take the same steps it took in 2006 to "Save the country" :lol: .

But of course, if the next election should see an new majority Government that is clearly anti Democrat party/anti Yellow, then the Military can casually forget the Constitution and their Service Oaths and simply take the same steps it took in 2006 to "Save the country" :lol: .

But there isn't much chance of a majority PTP government, is there? So we will never know.

But there isn't much chance of a majority PTP government, is there? So we will never know.

BJT seemed a lot more confident today than a week or two ago. Plus Chalerm was congratulating them. He has changed party a good few times.

Empty-Set

Are you suggesting Weng and his wife were Marxist instead of more Maoist? If so, that is a first for me to hear. Giles U. on the other hand would appear to be far more Marxist.

I don't know about Weng, but someone that knows Thida described her thinking as very much "old-style Marxist-Leninist". Giles is a socialist, I'm really not sure what theoretical background he comes from, definitely influenced by Marxism, but I really don't rate his work, so... his piece on the CPT is quite good though, where he discusses the relationship between the students and the Maoist cadres. It's available to read online somewhere. It's called "From the city, via the jungle, to defeat".