Sick Of Being Called 'Papa'

Xircal

Some believe they are superior to the Thais, which is rather ironic as one of the Chinese philosophies is to keep the lower classes(and yes farang are included) down. Don't encourage them to speak the language. The average farang just bends over and takes it. They are happy being the bumbling idiot, going only to shops that have marked prices and generally falsely accepting that they are handicapped linguistically. Their girlfriend or wife takes them out every now and again and does the talking for them. I'm sick of the times that we as a family have gone into restaurants and they don't give me a menu because I am farang and farang can't speak Thai. I'm sick of the times that Thai people come up to me and start doing some kind of sign language to me. I'm sick of being a member of the stupid dumb farang club. If you plan to live here don't be a dick, learn the bloody language. Grow some balls and stop bending over. Do you really want your wife to go down the garage with you? Do you really want her coming to tell the Massage girl what you want? Do you want to be confined to sewers like Nana, Pat Pong or Pattaya?

As for the Papa thing - I hate to hear Thais use that word as it's basically saying, "you are a member of the ignorant dumb farang club so we use silly word on you" The type of girls that say Papa also say "same same", "ting tong" and "boom boom".

You learnt Thai but are still a member of the 'stupid dumb farang club' ....... seems it wasn't worth the effort then.

PS

The going to shops with marked prices, isn't a communication thing, it's a 'stupid dumb farang' gets charged more thing. Speaking Thai won't solve that problem.

PPS

Taking a Thai wife to the garage often gets you an even higher price, and a kick-back for her.

PPPS

I'm fairly sure the massage girl already knows what I want, no need to take wife.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

if its not your children, papa is a term for the old guy who pays for everything, transam mentioned it and it is true.

either your around bar girls, not saying this is true, or you paying for people to much.

if they call you papa tell them im not you dam_n meal ticket.

• Like 1

Isnt it a sign of respect you miserable old bastard

absolutly not, it means they mean they want or expect him to pay everything, dont be insulting him when you dont know the meaning yourself.

its a word mostly used by bg.

I live in the UK. I have a big bunch of Thai friends who own their own restaurants and who are quite wealthy. They arrived in the UK and started working as waiters and cooks because their sister married an English bloke. Without the English bloke they'd still be on the bones of their <deleted> in Thailand. Without exception they all call him 'Papa'. They revere him. None of them have ever been within 100 miles of a bar girl. Perhaps they inhabit a different world than you do...

• Like 1

I live in the UK. I have a big bunch of Thai friends who own their own restaurants and who are quite wealthy. They arrived in the UK and started working as waiters and cooks because their sister married an English bloke. Without the English bloke they'd still be on the bones of their <deleted> in Thailand. Without exception they all call him 'Papa'. They revere him. None of them have ever been within 100 miles of a bar girl. Perhaps they inhabit a different world than you do...

as a moderator you should know better then to be so rude.

im going to say it straight, that is a dam_n rude thing to insinuate, and you should not be a moderator at all.

was just told that by girls sitting with me know, all accountants, dont ever make an assumption that i am around lesser then you mr almighty.

you are a rude joke for a mod, absolutly disgrasful, get of your perch.

i wasnt saying he was around bg, but they use it, and those rich people maybe using it as a joke but it is what it is.

you insuation was that i inhabit a world of bg, admit it, thats the kinf of thing a mod is here to stop.

And it's goodnight from payak.

So your goody two-shoes accountants tell you that 'mostly' bar girls use the term. And you get all upset when someone mentions that is his experience''mostly' non- bar girls use the term?

But you must admit, you are pretty much always banging on about other people's relationships here like your underlying inference in your 'what do they talk about?' thread, that the farang must have met his partner in a bar since they don't appear to have anything in common to talk about. Is all this analysis of other people's relationships assisting you in working out your own?

So your goody two-shoes accountants tell you that 'mostly' bar girls use the term. And you get all upset when someone mentions that is his experience''mostly' non- bar girls use the term?

But you must admit, you are pretty much always banging on about other people's relationships here like your underlying inference in your 'what do they talk about?' thread, that the farang must have met his partner in a bar since they don't appear to have anything in common to talk about. Is all this analysis of other people's relationships assisting you in working out your own?

not right at all, read that thread please, i said many times people who cannot communicate at all, please read all before you post, that way you will not have to assume things and the truth will be posted next time rather then an assumption.

whilst we are talking about assumptions, my relationship is at an all time high, and has never had a low point, talking about other things does not mean mine has issues,if i talk about the weather in thailand does that mean i have problems with the weather in Australia, no connection at all.

• Like 1

i did not only say bg only, i did also say people who expect you to pay am i right or wrong,

the mod above said the thai people in the restaurant revere the english man, without him they would still be on the bones of there asses.

that means they were not rich thai's, not if they were on the bones of their asses, its states if not for him they would be on their asses meaning he helped them.

therefore i think the statement pretty much backs my claim even though it was attempting to contradict it, they got there dollars from the English man, hence the reason they call him papa.

now read it and tell me i'm wrong, i'm not attacking anyone for gods sake, thats what it means.

now you go ask thai people like i just did, rather then argue with them.

... now you go ask thai people like i just did, rather then argue with them.

I think you have been around the block enough to appreciate that Thai's will pretty much tell you what you want to hear. Particularly so if you are older, the boss, the all benevolent benefactor. The newbie, gullible or naive haven't a snowballs chance in hell of getting an honest, personal opinion.

Moving back OT, to be honest, I have never heard any Thai ever call their partner, spouse, significant other, sponsor or financial provider Papa. Maybe I move in the wrong circles. However, as some have mentioned before, there's a boatload of kids, grand kids and great grand kids, luhk kreung and otherwise, who do.

Edited by NanLaew

Most call be by name of put pee in front of my name. My wife always calls me by saying honey, so now my grand son calls me grandpa honey, and I can't break him of the habit

ha ha ahahahahahahahh.....now thats funny!!!.....lol

... now you go ask thai people like i just did, rather then argue with them.

I think you have been around the block enough to appreciate that Thai's will pretty much tell you what you want to hear. Particularly so if you are older, the boss, the all benevolent benefactor. The newbie, gullible or naive haven't a snowballs chance in hell of getting an honest, personal opinion.

Moving back OT, to be honest, I have never heard any Thai ever call their partner, spouse, significant other, sponsor or financial provider Papa. Maybe I move in the wrong circles. However, as some have mentioned before, there's a boatload of kids, grand kids and great grand kids, luhk kreung and otherwise, who do.

until i asked today, papa was a first for me to yes.

been called pe matt or khun matt, never papa.

I cannot for the life of me understand your obsession with being / having to speak Thai as a means to all and everything you have posted in the thread and I include the latter stages of hthe debate.

For the record, I have been married twice to Thai ladies and have never been addressed as Khun by them once a relationship was developing beyond a formal stage'

Papa and my christian name, yes.

I bet you are a real bundle of joy to meet out and about, seems to me you could come in the 1% I mention, going by your obsession with having to speak Thai to appreciate Thailand from a foriegners perspective ect. ect.

You just do not get it that the exchanges are for me a nice way to enlighten each others day, as we eventually succeed in getting across what each of us mean.

As for those who speak Thai, on several occasions I,ve had the unfortunate witnessing of how they mis use their abilities and have a way of speaking down to the locals and making the feel uncomfortable and inferior regarding their function.

( I,ve witnessed arrogant attitude and unfriendly demeanor in several instances i,m sad to say.)

I also have many Thai friends who work in the non bar establishments who can testify to this and I find this more offensive as a foriegner than the farang non speakers who treat them disrespectfully in a similar way.

marshbags whistling.gif

P.S.

I,ve come across a few clever dick type " farang " who insist on butting in when I,m communicating with Thai while ordering something.

A bit impolite IMHO to assume I,m incapable of communicating, especially when it is not invited in the first place.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

By your own admission you are incapable of comminicating. I don't think Im being impolite. Actually I feel your response is very rude.

So someone who sees you having problems communicating and tries to help you is a clever dick?

You probably are one of the guys that wai a you waitress as you walk into a restaurant?

I am not obsessed as you suggest that speaking Thai is a means to all and everything. It is obvious that it helps many things.

Can I ask how long you have lived in Thailand? If it's over one year It says a lot about your attitude.

I think that learning how to order food is something anyone could learn.

Why the absolutely refusal to learn?

Why the need to attack those who do. Is it an inferiority thing?

Do you know what codependency is? You seem to worry a lot about what other people think, especially the locals.

Does it really bother you when Thai speaking farang treat service staff as service staff?

Do you think in 20 years you'll have any regrets as to not learning?

A middle aged woman in a shop used the phrase when my wife was looking at some shirts yesterday and i said "its not for papa" to her later i was talking to my wife about the phrase and she reckons it is more than likely a respectfull thing as Thai people do not want to use your first name and they cant use khun to you , that was the only thing she could think of.

A middle aged woman in a shop used the phrase when my wife was looking at some shirts yesterday and i said "its not for papa" to her later i was talking to my wife about the phrase and she reckons it is more than likely a respectfull thing as Thai people do not want to use your first name and they cant use khun to you , that was the only thing she could think of.

Why would Thai people not want to use your first name?

Pee Surgeon or Nong Surgeon or Lung Surgeon depending on your relative ages would be the norm.

When two Thai people meet, the initial exchange is always first names and ages (to sort out pee/nong/lung/baa).

A middle aged woman in a shop could have referred to you as 'pee' or 'cow' if she didn't know your name.

By calling you 'Papa' she was insulting your wife.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Do you believe everything she tells you?

• Like 1

More importantly, would she lie to protect your feelings or cover the insult aimed at her.

Why would Thai people not want to use your first name?

Pee Surgeon or Nong Surgeon or Lung Surgeon depending on your relative ages would be the norm.

When two Thai people meet, the initial exchange is always first names and ages (to sort out pee/nong/lung/baa).

A middle aged woman in a shop could have referred to you as 'pee' or 'cow' if she didn't know your name.

By calling you 'Papa' she was insulting your wife.

now when i say this, i get attacked.

• Like 2

Actually yes i do ,we have been married 20 years and have a son in uni ,we have lived here and in the UK where we were married and where she was a stepmother to my daughter ,i have never ever had any doubts about her and trust her immplicitly ,she has had access to my bank accounts most of that time and has never touched a penny without first consulting me she has looked after me in sickness and in health ,does that answer your question?

ps the woman in question has seen us many times over the years and knows we live here and are married and has always been polite.

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

Actually yes i do ,we have been married 20 years and have a son in uni ,we have lived here and in the UK where we were married and where she was a stepmother to my daughter ,i have never ever had any doubts about her and trust her immplicitly ,she has had access to my bank accounts most of that time and has never touched a penny without first consulting me she has looked after me in sickness and in health ,does that answer your question?

ps the woman in question has seen us many times over the years and knows we live here and are married and has always been polite.

Yes, it does answer my question, thanks but a simple yes would suffice.

I've been married for a similar time and would answer 'no' to the same question, although in serious matters I would definitely trust my wife.

My wife has lied to me for different reasons, but they really are only little white lies, maybe to avoid confrontation/embarrassment etc or maybe as she knows me so well she knows that I would't understand something or it would make me angry or depressed etc.

Let's look at the facts - Thai people use my first name all the time and I've never heard anyone say that Thais don't like using foreigners' first names.

Thais can use khun to you. Why would you/she think they couldn't. It is like saying 'mister'.

In your situation I don't think it was rude, but ignorant, unless you look Chinese.

Edited by Johnniey

I'm not going to weigh in on the OP or all the various misinformation on this thread (or pick out the parts that are spot on) except the last bit:

Thai people can use your first name preceded by the same honorifics as they would a Thai (Khun, Pi, Ajarn, etc). How do I know? They've been doing it with me for about 30 years. (On a daily basis I'm called Pi, Khun, or Loong)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 2

Yes, it does answer my question, thanks but a simple yes would suffice.

I've been married for a similar time and would answer 'no' to the same question, although in serious matters I would definitely trust my wife.

My wife has lied to me for different reasons, but they really are only little white lies, maybe to avoid confrontation/embarrassment etc or maybe as she knows me so well she knows that I would't understand something or it would make me angry or depressed etc.

Let's look at the facts - Thai people use my first name all the time and I've never heard anyone say that Thais don't like using foreigners' first names.

Thais can use khun to you. Why would you/she think they couldn't. It is like saying 'mister'.

In your situation I don't think it was rude, but ignorant, unless you look Chinese.

Actually any Thai that knows me and my familly do call me by my first name ,but women working in shops dont know what it is ,i spoke again about this to the wife again today and she says all she can think is that its become so common around Pattaya s bars that now everyone is starting to use it but again she does not think its meant as an insult ,but to be honest she just didnt think it was that big a deal ,women just dont know what to call customers so they use papa ,,and judging by what thehappyfarang just said i am tending to agree with him.