Rice

jayjay0

My Doctor has suggested to me that rice would be a good substatude for potatoes. In relationship to my attempts at losing weight.

I asked why and she did not go into detail she did say how ever that it had more fiber. Made sense to me.

I am not sure what kind of rice would fill the bill for over all health with weight reduction being the main target.

Any idea's knowledge or experience out there.

Answers greatly appreciated.:jap:

Please hurry we are already 20 pounds behind schedule.:(

No more french fries :(

As Melanie Safka sang: "White could be beautiful but mostly it's not"

Steer clear of white rice if possible - if you eat out find a restaurant that serves brown rice and don't be fooled by flowery menus that state 'served on a bed of fragrant jasmine white rice'.

"Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health say eating two or more servings of brown rice weekly seems to be associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, they report, eating five or more servings of white rice per week is associated with an increased risk"

Ditch the fried stuff and fatty meats up the lean chicken and fish (not fried) plus veggies, drink loads of water, exercise if possible and watch the weight drop.

Everything in moderation. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Steer clear of white rice if possible - if you eat out find a restaurant that serves brown rice and don't be fooled by flowery menus that state 'served on a bed of fragrant jasmine white rice'.

"Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health say eating two or more servings of brown rice weekly seems to be associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, they report, eating five or more servings of white rice per week is associated with an increased risk"

Ditch the fried stuff and fatty meats up the lean chicken and fish (not fried) plus veggies, drink loads of water, exercise if possible and watch the weight drop.

Well it sounds like darn good advice as I already have a high blood sugar. Are you sure about the moderation part?

Edited by jayjay0

Well it sounds like darn good advice as I already have a high blood sugar. Are you sure about the moderation part?

Well, moderation with food...................other things? whistling.gif

's any one know of a suport forum for people trying to lose weight?

Doe's any one know of a forum for people trying to lose weight?

's any one know of a suport forum for people trying to lose weight?

Have a look here: http://www.healthywe....org/eng/forum/

My advice - treat yourself at Xmas and make a New Years resolution. Don't try starting before the festive season is over.

Edited by uptheos

I buy brown Jasmine rice in Carrefour, mainly as an attempt to up my roughage intake. Along with the usual suspects (chicken/pork/mince etc.) once in a while I'll drop a spoonful of pre-cooked BJR on a baked (European) potato to keep things moving.

I can never remember the Thai for brown rice (Khao Klong) so I refer to it as Khao See Nam Dtan - not Khao Nam Dtan which means salted rice and causes much confusion and mirth :rolleyes:

I buy brown Jasmine rice in Carrefour, mainly as an attempt to up my roughage intake. Along with the usual suspects (chicken/pork/mince etc.) once in a while I'll drop a spoonful of pre-cooked BJR on a baked (European) potato to keep things moving.

I can never remember the Thai for brown rice (Khao Klong) so I refer to it as Khao See Nam Dtan - not Khao Nam Dtan which means salted rice and causes much confusion and mirth :rolleyes:

Hey, if Einstein buys brown rice, that's good enough for me. smile.gif

AS uptheos said - Ditch the fried stuff and fatty meats, up the lean chicken and fish (not fried) plus veggies, drink loads of water, exercise if possible and watch the weight drop.

This would be a good model to follow, I say everyday I will try, but................

My Doctor has suggested to me that rice would be a good substatude for potatoes. In relationship to my attempts at losing weight.

Bull. They're both mostly carbohydrates. To lose weight, just cut out everything that's mostly carbs, especially mostly empty carbs, so potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, etc.

You still need some carbs of course but you can get those from (limited) fruit and vegetables just fine.

Brown rice has marginal benefits over white rice: Lower glycemic index meaning it'll keep you feeling full a bit longer, and there's other healthy stuff that's removed from white rice. BUT any kind of rice is remains a carb-bomb.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

To lose weight, eat your main meal at lunchtime, and only a salad in the evening (no beer of course). Carbohydrates give energy, therefore you need your carbohydrates in the daytime, not in the evening (and no silly posts about your night activities... I've already thought of that, and so probably has everybody else). And brown rice by preference. I found that I lost weight when I went on a European lunch regime, i.e. potatoes instead of rice.

To lose weight, eat your main meal at lunchtime, and only a salad in the evening (no beer of course). Carbohydrates give energy, therefore you need your carbohydrates in the daytime, not in the evening (and no silly posts about your night activities... I've already thought of that, and so probably has everybody else). And brown rice by preference. I found that I lost weight when I went on a European lunch regime, i.e. potatoes instead of rice.

For me it is the opposite I have always ate potatoes and very seldom rice.

The low carb diet seems to be a sensible way for many people. For myself it was no difference. Plus my Doctor mentioned that I had to watch out for the cholesterol. The reason the doctor had said rice was for the fiber in it.

I am trying to keep a sense of humor. So I was wondering if you meant no more nights on the computer or TV or reading.:( ( i don't drink don't miss it either )

In my attempt this time I am not interested in doing it all at once. I am going to be concentrating on what I eat for now. The changes may not be in themselves very beneficial but combined they will add up.

For instance I have eliminated most sugar. from my diet. No more chocolate bars now I have some almonds and walnuts For the most part the sandwiches are gone. Little things like that. As I become comfortable with one I can add another. I am trying to make them a way of life

I ramble sorry for that.

Thanks every one for your input. :)

Edited by jayjay0

For instance I have eliminated most sugar. from my diet. No more chocolate bars now I have some almonds and walnuts For the most part the sandwiches are gone. Little things like that. As I become comfortable with one I can add another. I am trying to make them a way of life

:)

I expect you know that nuts are full of fat and though its reputed to be a healthy sort its still calorific.

Almonds per 100gms. = 575Kcals.

Walnuts per 100gms = 654Kcals

Potatoes per 100gms = 70 Kcals

One medium sized potato weighs about 210 gms. say about 150Kcals

Depends how many nuts you're going to eat.

Food for thought. ; so don't overdo the snacking on nuts.

I rather like "Slimmer" as a sugar substitute.

You need some carbs, I've lost a spectacular amount of weight in the last two years, mainly through giving up alcohol.

I eat a stack of fruit, mainly Som-O, a whole one every morning.

As others said, moderation is the key, and watch the calories, find a good calorie counter website.

I only eat whole meal grains, keeps the bowels working. (As does the Som-O) :whistling:

I expect you know that nuts are full of fat and though its reputed to be a healthy sort its still calorific.

Nuts are high calorie but low carb.. So if you severly cut carbs then you can get away with snacking on nuts. Though don't combine them with fruit or raisins and the like; then your body burns those carbs first and stores the fat in the nuts. ;)

Might I suggest google ? And then how about the TV Thai Food subforum ? It's so much more applicable to this and you will find tons of other info on healthy Thai food (and otherwise) there already. The TV Forum is a whole universe, and it's definitely worth a little exploration.

And of course, if you're not bothered by me telling you where your post would be better off.... you're likley to get many better responses as well. People int he food forums are thinking food, and also thinking all things related to food, eg: health.

Sir Winnie of Kwai,

I see you advocating the low carb diet idea. No question in my mind about simple ones, but complex carbs fill me up and are relatively low in calories. Moreover, if I limit my caloric intake, it does not matter as much that my system's efficiencies in extracting energy from foods is enhanced.

In fact, if you'll see the latest food pyramid proposed in the U.S. (for what that is worth), you will see recommended carbs. But for the first time, they don't advocate daily meats - often the caloric culprit for us Westerners, along with sugars. Vegetarians gobbling brown rice do very well indeed.

I suggest that there are several avenues to healthy eating that can result in weight loss and maintenance.

Edited by CMX

Brown rice is much better than white rice because it is unmilled so it contains still all the fibers as well as the proteins.Look at it as whole wheat grains.

Still better is the germinated gaba rice as it has vitamines added and the the nutrional value is as much as 10 times higher as jasmine brown rice.Cooking time takes also much longer then white rice.

I buy Gaba germinated jasmine rice at carrefour in 1kg bags for about 95 Baht,but you can find the same product and from different producers at most supermarkets.

Do a google fore GABA rice and you will understand what I'm talking about.

As I said in another post, TV is vast and powerful. It has all you look for if you look around a bit. Here's a link for those interested in quitting drinking, smoking or dropping a few kilos. Three different threads, as they should be. Check out all the other interesting topics below the top pinned ones too.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/23-health-body-and-medicine/

Nuts are high calorie but low carb.. So if you severly cut carbs then you can get away with snacking on nuts. Though don't combine them with fruit or raisins and the like; then your body burns those carbs first and stores the fat in the nuts. ;)

Ohh so wrong wrong wrong. That shouldn't be kcals anyway, its eaityer KJ's or calories 100gm of nuts isn't 600,000 calories. Benefits of nuts are they contain good fat,but you still need to eat in moderation though. Nuts are highly nutrient dense and replacing carbs with nuts is not really a 'good way to go' to lose weight. Sugar substitues even though I use them sometimes, can be bad for your health as well. Reduce your sugar is much better than siple substituting it for a artifical alternative.

So many diet myths it's not funny. I've been reading, experimenting and just gaining knowledge on eating to lose body fat for the last few years, through excercising as well (not because I'm overweight,but because I want to get to a 'lean' state). The whole low carb thing is very very hard to do and really not a neccessity to lose weight, it also makes you feel pretty average and can often result in people giving up on their 'better eating plan' because it really takes conviction and dedication. You can reduce your body fat by a lot without having to go the no carb route.

My advice that I have for you, which I have found from a few good sources:

1. If you're just starting to change your lifestyle, don't jump in the ocean if you can't swim. What that means is, don't go from a completely crappy diet and expect yourself to start eating 100% healthy from day 1. It's just not going to happen and will more than likely result in you snacking, and being back to where you started. So many diets expect people to be able to change a habit immediately, why do you think so many people fail their new years resolution to get healthy and then make the same thing the following year? Because the attempt a too drastic change and give up because it's too much of a change at once.

So if you drink (alcohol) everyday and eat crappy foods, start by cutting out the alcohol the first week, then reduce your fatty foods the second, then limit your sugar the third etc. It is much easier, you can focus on eliminating single food/groups first and work your way to a regular healthy diet, one step at a time. Rememeber you're changing years of bad eating habbits, you're not going to do it in a sinple day.

2. You must really incorporate some form of physical excercise. You need to increase your metabolism to help burn the excess fat you have stored. If you can start with some light weights, it is going to help greatly with fat loss. The more muscle you create the higher your BMR and the more calories you will burn in a day (just while sitting around doing nothing). Cardio is good, but numerous studies have shown a weight training program consistantly aided fat loss goals more than a cardio training program. If you think about it it makes sense. But don't get caught in the trap that, oh I have excercise today, I can now go out and have those 4 beers. Many people excercise do this and still don't lose weight.

3. Don't get caught up in the whole, low carb, potatoes vs rice etc. That is important when your trying to get to single digit body fat, but from the sounds of it, you just need to start eating better. Don't make it too complicated to begin with, or you will give up as it will take too much time, too hard to think about etc. Remember one step at a time. If you find you get bloated, or one carb source just seems to make you feel crappy (as potatoes do with me, but rice is fine) then change your carb source, cut out what doesn't feel right for you. You have to listen to your body and adjust with your gut feeling. My advice is, a straight low carb 'diet' is not going to fix your weight and could you really see yourself not eating carbs at all? There are so many issue associated with low carb eating I still don't know why people do it. Serious body builders, cycle it for competition. Avereage people do it because they think its a quick fix for their crappy diet.

4. Weight loss only comes down to one simple fact, that number of calories you consume in a day has to be less than your daily caloric needs. That is it. There is no special formula, special food groups, or diet that will avoid this fact. If you sit around all day, don't do any physical activity your claoric needs will be low and it will be easy to over eat and gain weight. Increase you physical activity, increase your regular eating patterns (you should be eating 4-6 small meals a day as opposed to 2-3 large ones) and decrease calorie rich foods (fatty foods, alcohol etc) and you will notice the weight coming off, as well as feel much better.

I have and even got my parents to use a fat loss program that does utilise low carb eating, however these are strategic days and the eating is designed to ramp up your metabolism. If your interested, send me a PM and I'll link you to where you can get it from.

The science of the program is sound and I saw both my parents lose weight with minimal additional excercise. It also doesn't require you to count your 'calories' and helps teach you better eating habits, making right choices etc, while allowing you still to indulge here and there, which is what makes it so easy.

I don't want to post the link here as I don't want to seem like I'm purely posting to advertise it. I don't know the person who made it, I just saw it work with my parents (and myself) who are average middle age and don't excercise. It is much better than all those other 'diets' you read about and also teaches you about a better eating lifestyle.

The truth is, you're going to have to wade through lots of free and crappy advice from people who just repeat rubbish they have read or heard. I got my advice from people who looked the way I wanted to and clearly did what worked to get the body they wanted (although your goals may not be as far as mine). Would you take diet and healthy eating advice from someone who is 50kg overweight and clearly just talks, or someone who eats well and looks it as well? On the internet you just don't know who is giving you advice.

If you have any more questions I'm happy to pass on what I know/have learnt.

All the best in your goal. It's a good one to have.

Thanks all for your information. I have a separate folder now of places to go to for information.

I would particularly like to thank Amras many of his ideas fall into line with mine. I m taken this seriously as I always have. Only this time I am not going to do it all at once. For instance I never use sugar but I ate chocolate bars no more. Some where down the line I will stop drinking the canned D7 Coffee. But not today. I must learn to be satisfied with little changes and allow myself the room to grow.

I do not recommend this to others but for me it stands a chance of working. I have done the change every thing right now diets only to fall flat on my face.B)

Also realthaideal thanks for that link. I am not computer savvy and have a hard time on TV finding other Forums what they need is a list of them where it is easy to find it. Kind of like the one they have that says forums but when you open it up it gives you five or six options not the list of 20 30 I don't know how many but if they had the list where I could find it I would know.

Edited by jayjay0

Good deal JayJay ! So many people love to stir up the pot with their posts and never take the time to say thank you or to take the advice. It's nice to see you found something good and new. Of course we kids whizz around the internet faster than some of you older fellas, but I'm always learning more stuff too.

I enjoy the Thai food forum as well as the Farang food forum, but only every couple of weeks. They don't get as much action and sometimes fall into a lull. For expanding your local food knowledge of ingredients and dishes, they can't be beat though...

Asmerom said this :

Amras said this :

Ohh so wrong wrong wrong. That shouldn't be kcals anyway, its eaityer KJ's or calories 100gm of nuts isn't 600,000 calories.

Your slightly over-the-top rejection of my use of the abbreviation "kcal" spurs me to say just a word in my defence. :

According to various google sources, in dietary circles Kcals and calories are "exactly the same" even though in scientific circles it is, as you logically say: 1 kcal =1000 calories.

So, 1 kcal = 1 calorie, not 1000, in dietary circles. They are interchangeable terms. A bit mystifying but there it is and if you insist, I shall call you a pedant in bold!! But that's not an indictable offence.