Pls Recommend A Reliable Visa Run Travel Agency

Amapola

We need to make a visa run on Sunday-Monday - could you please recommend a trustworthy agency in CM? Who organize transportation and just give guidance what we shall do on the border (since its our first time)...

Will be very thankful!!smile.gif

Where do you need to go? Vientiene (for a Thai embassy) or Mae Sai (for a hop over the border and back)?

I've never been to Vientiene, got a multiple non-imm in the UK and have been extending it since, but for Mae Sai, take the Green Bus service from Arcade bus station to Mae Sai (VIP or 1st class). At Mae Sai its a short Song Taew ride to the border. From memory, about 2.5hrs in Mae Sai before the bus back to Chiang Mai. Much more comfortable than any mini bus and much safer with very little difference in cost.

Edited by naboo

Where do you need to go? Vientiene (for a Thai embassy) or Mae Sai (for a hop over the border and back)?

I've never been to Vientiene, got a multiple non-imm in the UK and have been extending it since, but for Mae Sai, take the Green Bus service from Arcade bus station to Mae Sai (VIP or 1st class). At Mae Sai its a short Song Taew ride to the border. From memory, about 2.5hrs in Mae Sai before the bus back to Chiang Mai. Much more comfortable than any mini bus and much safer with very little difference in cost.

We need border cross - I just felt doubtful reg. transfer from Mae Sai to the border, but in case you say we can catch Song Taew easily, that makes sense...

thx

We need border cross - I just felt doubtful reg. transfer from Mae Sai to the border, but in case you say we can catch Song Taew easily, that makes sense...

thx

There are plenty of songtaews and motorcycle taxis there. It's only about a 5-7 minute drive from the Mae Sai bus station to the border. You could even walk it if you had to.

thx

There are plenty of songtaews and motorcycle taxis there. It's only about a 5-7 minute drive from the Mae Sai bus station to the border. You could even walk it if you had to.

I see! thank you a lot)

what money (&how much) shall we have with us to cross the border? And what is the procedure actually - just in a nutshel...

thanks againrolleyes.gif

what money (&how much) shall we have with us to cross the border? And what is the procedure actually - just in a nutshel...

thanks againrolleyes.gif

500Baht or a clean, crisp 10USD bill for the Burmese visa, though there are reports they no longer accept the 10USD (exchange rate makes it 300Baht).

Exit Thailand getting stamped out, cross the bridge, pay the money for the Burmese visa, they give you a card and keep your passport (apparently you can keep you passport if you say you're not going shopping and return straight away), wander around the market if you want, return to the border, swap the card for your passport, walk back across the bridge, fill in a new arrivals card for Thailand with relevent visa details and get stamped back in. Pretty straight forward, if you go wrong you can be assured the border officials will tell you off and put you back in place.

Its actually a very friendly border, just keep smiling like you do at Chiang Mai immigration and all will go smoothly.

Edited by naboo

OK here's what to do - go to the Arcade a few days before if you can to book a seat on the bus (it can get booked up - especially for VIP seats) - book first out last back - thats 08:30 out and 15:30 return (I think). The ticket desk is the first on the left as you walk through the Arcade's front entrance. Tickets will be between 400 and 600 Baht return depending on seat.

On the day, turn up half hour before the bus at the Arcade and go to station 30/31 and wait for the number on your ticket to turn up (usually about 5-10 mins before leave time). Take something warm as aircon is set to artic.

The bus will stop twice for pee-pee breaks (or cigie breaks or just to warm up!). Have you passport handy as there are often cop checks (though they usually are just looking for Burmese and ignore farangs).

At the MaeSai bus station get off and follow the crowd. There will be about a dozen songtaews with signs saying "The Border" etc behind the bus. Jump on one and wait. It will cost 15B per person.

At the border, get off the songtaew and pay the guy, then follow the crowd to the border crossing. Use the tressle table to fill in your departure form (stappled in your passport) and the go down the right hand lane to the window (Don't worry the security guy will point the right lane if you err). After a photo and stamp you walk though and over the bridge.

Cross the road (Right hand side) and go into the little security room with the sign saying "Foreign Passports" - hand you passport and 500Baht (or $10 bill) toi the guy with the ribbons on the right and then sit in a seat and wait. Then collect your temporary passport (they keep your real one - don't panic this is normal).

For the market, wade through the tuktuk drivers and touts and turn right down the stairs. Give yourself at least 45 minutes to get back to MaeSai!!! (if you are late you can bribe the songtaew to rush you there for 100B - done that a few times).

When leaving, go to the security pffice on your right (opposite the one you handed your passport in) and collect your passport.

Walk across the bridge left hand side. Go to the security guard in the box and get an arrivals card and fill it in at the tressle table. Go to the window and smile a lot :D

The SongTaews wait on the left side of the road outside 7-11. Thens its plain sialing back home.

OK here's what to do - go to the Arcade a few days before if you can to book a seat on the bus (it can get booked up - especially for VIP seats) - book first out last back - thats 08:30 out and 15:30 return (I think). The ticket desk is the first on the left as you walk through the Arcade's front entrance. Tickets will be between 400 and 600 Baht return depending on seat.

On the day, turn up half hour before the bus at the Arcade and go to station 30/31 and wait for the number on your ticket to turn up (usually about 5-10 mins before leave time). Take something warm as aircon is set to artic.

The bus will stop twice for pee-pee breaks (or cigie breaks or just to warm up!). Have you passport handy as there are often cop checks (though they usually are just looking for Burmese and ignore farangs).

At the MaeSai bus station get off and follow the crowd. There will be about a dozen songtaews with signs saying "The Border" etc behind the bus. Jump on one and wait. It will cost 15B per person.

At the border, get off the songtaew and pay the guy, then follow the crowd to the border crossing. Use the tressle table to fill in your departure form (stappled in your passport) and the go down the right hand lane to the window (Don't worry the security guy will point the right lane if you err). After a photo and stamp you walk though and over the bridge.

Cross the road (Right hand side) and go into the little security room with the sign saying "Foreign Passports" - hand you passport and 500Baht (or $10 bill) toi the guy with the ribbons on the right and then sit in a seat and wait. Then collect your temporary passport (they keep your real one - don't panic this is normal).

For the market, wade through the tuktuk drivers and touts and turn right down the stairs. Give yourself at least 45 minutes to get back to MaeSai!!! (if you are late you can bribe the songtaew to rush you there for 100B - done that a few times).

When leaving, go to the security pffice on your right (opposite the one you handed your passport in) and collect your passport.

Walk across the bridge left hand side. Go to the security guard in the box and get an arrivals card and fill it in at the tressle table. Go to the window and smile a lot :D

The SongTaews wait on the left side of the road outside 7-11. Thens its plain sialing back home.

That's the program to the last detail. You've done the new folks a good turn. Well done!

The 500 Baht thing is a scam and has nothing at all to do with exchange rates - the cost is $10 though at Mai Sai they accept Baht, However, there's no point in protesting with them or you might not get in. An example is that the $10 departure tax from Yangon or Mandalay airports has remained at $10 for several years (same as of a couple of weeks ago), it doesn't go up or down depending on the dollar's strength and they will only accept clean crisp US currency. no other. When they do put the tax up, no doubt it will be $15............though of course by then they might want Yuan instead, considering how China is the godfather.

That's the program to the last detail. You've done the new folks a good turn. Well done!

The only thing I might add is being as this is your first time, you might want to consider a overnight stay. More relaxed and get a chance to look around a bit. Not a lot to see. But what the heck. They have local tours you could look at for future use.

As for the money be sure to have 500 Thai Baht. They might still take the American. I am quite sure that push comes to pull it is really supposed to be Burmese money.

Enjoy

:)

As for the money be sure to have 500 Thai Baht. They might still take the American. I am quite sure that push comes to pull it is really supposed to be Burmese money.

Enjoy

Yes i would prefer to pay in 500 thai baht than USD10 even though it is cheaper....the reason is being able to pass through easily...once i had seen a farang being told to wait by the Burmese officer saying he had to call his superior...i think it was about the state of the US note.....

They do sometimes get shirty about the $10 dollars (though I think it being new or not is an excuse) - in the days of good $=>฿ they welcomed the dollars, now they can be a bit funny. Personally I don't have dollars anyway, so I don't bother as getting them is morte hassle than the 100 baht or so is worth. There used to be an old lady by the ATM's that used to sell them at a good rate, but now I hear she is charging 500 Baht upwards, so no point at all anymore. For American's with dollars in their wallet, it may be worth the try (but take a 500B note too just in case).

<SNIP>

The only thing I might add is being as this is your first time, you might want to consider a overnight stay. More relaxed and get a chance to look around a bit. Not a lot to see. But what the heck. They have local tours you could look at for future use.

Enjoy

yes I aree with this if you have the time. The market can be fun if there is no haste. I have never stayed on the Burmese side (although I know people that have), but I understand it is cheaper there. However, I had problems getting busses on the same day once due to it mbeing the end of a holiday weekend, so I stayed. I chose the place near the 7-11 where the songtaew wait for return trips. I took a walkin 2 bed room with aircon, hot shower and cable TV (although all channels were Thai or Chinese!) - I think it was 600 baht - not sure - included buffet breakfast. There are a lot of backpacker type places if you take the road to the left of the crossing (never done it - so this is heresay) which offer flop houses up from what I've heard. Getting an early bus back the next day is great as there are seats avaiolable and the bus is not usually full.

PS: I'm not sure the Burmese would like Burmese money - its all about getting foreign currency in. They do not even have a price for that asfar as I know.

PPS: Another thing - If you are travelling with a Thai national, they get in free. They can use their ID cards instead of passport (guard at the crossing will send them to an office to get their cards copied and authorised - its walking distance) or just let them through if they have passports. They will not get stamped at either end and no charge is made in or out. No departure.arrivals card is needed either. They may get a strip search though on the way back!

I have taken my kids through with me (Thai nationals - well dual, but we just use their Thai passports) and they just walk over and back with me with nothjing but a cursory glance at their passports.

PS: I'm not sure the Burmese would like Burmese money - its all about getting foreign currency in. They do not even have a price for that as far as I know.

Yes, you will see a price listed at the banks here, its about 3.5 Kyat to $1 and I suppose they hope for mugs to come along!!

The border's or airports absolutely do not want Kyat and will definitely not accept it, though it can be used inside. E.g. a taxi from Yangon airport to downtown is about $7 but if you happen to have 7,000 Kyat they will accept it. Taxis and shops want Kyat as there was a government crackdown on receiving dollars, though the hotels and bigger stores will gladly take your dollars at the higher rates quoted.

At the moment inside Yangon you can get 877 Kyat to $1 - twelve months ago it was 1,100 and two years ago 1,250, but for the last two years the taxi fare has remained consistent at $7, so that tells you something about both currencies I guess.

Edited by uptheos