Taser Gun Allowed In Thailand ?

bangkokcitylimits

Now I'm affiliated with the Taser gun company in the US of A and can promote/order them I'm thinking of getting one myself for self defense. Not to wear here in town but maybe when for a holiday in Pattaya with my GF, it's not that safe there anymore. Although I really want to avoid the situation of needing it, it might be good to carry one. But how about the law regarding Taser guns and stun-guns in Thailand, are they categorized as weapons and illegal or not at all because it are no firearms ? Where to find such information ?

tasers legal ,doubt it.

i never go out without mine, especially in patty .

out of sight , out of mind . :jap:

p.s. they are great for scaring off nuisance dogs .

I wonder if illegal, stun-guns are for sale on every market (do they see it more like a toy or so?) firearms are not.

Guess Taser guns are so new that they are not categorized yet, but maybe I mistake.

taser-gun.jpg

m26c_d.jpg

If you plan on using a taser gun on a Thai man you may wish to consider how many of his mates will be willing to jump on you and kick the s*** out of you for your actions. You'd be far better off using some common sense manners and backing down in a confrontation, however much that hurt your ego.

If you plan on using a taser gun on a Thai man you may wish to consider how many of his mates will be willing to jump on you and kick the s*** out of you for your actions. You'd be far better off using some common sense manners and backing down in a confrontation, however much that hurt your ego.

Stun gun sounds cool. IF you remember to check the battery regularly or it might be embarrassing eh. :)

A Taser is not something to use for defending yourself against a group of people.

A Taser is not something to use for defending yourself against a group of people.

Absolutely, one only, stun gun is better. :)

Haven't seen any Taser for sale here and doubt they would be classified as anything less than atleast 'handgun of smaller caliber' (same as revolvers up to .357 etc), requiring a permit. And a CC-license isn't given easily...

Stun guns sold here seem to be overgrown toy-versions. A friend tried to chock his brother and it lacked any decent effect...might be effective to scare someone due to the crackling and showing of an arc, but...not so much more than that.

Haven't seen any Taser for sale here and doubt they would be classified as anything less than atleast 'handgun of smaller caliber' (same as revolvers up to .357 etc), requiring a permit. And a CC-license isn't given easily...

Stun guns sold here seem to be overgrown toy-versions. A friend tried to shock his brother and it lacked any decent effect...might be effective to scare someone due to the crackling and showing of an arc, but...not so much more than that.

Chinese replica, know doubt. Real thing gives 50,000 volt jump. :)

seen it work.

Edited by transam

Appart from the fact that this looks like a very thinly disguised promotion of a product to which the OP admits he has "an affiliation"

Has it occurred to the OP that if he feels he needs a weapon to go some place then he ought really not go there?

The thinking - 'I have a weapon, so I can go some place were I do not feel safe without a weapon is a first class example of ignoring risks'

The point I was making is that you might think you were dealing with just one person, but some onlookers (and possibly his friends) might not view the developing situation the same way you do. Shoot one of those things at a local Thai and you are more likely to inflame the situation than get yourself out of trouble. People get shot (by real bullets) for a lot less. Back down, say sorry, even wai if you have to. Any of those actions would give you substantially more chance of diffusing a conflict, walking away with nothing more than your ego slightly bruised.

Edited by cat5

The point I was making is that you might think you were dealing with just one person, but some onlookers (and possibly his friends) might not view the developing situation the same way you do. Shoot one of those things at a local Thai and you are more likely to inflame the situation than get yourself out of trouble. People get shot (by real bullets) for a lot less. Back down, say sorry, even wai if you have to. Any of those actions would give you substantially more chance of diffusing a conflict, walking away with nothing more than your ego slightly bruised.

Very sound advice.

In almost all situations a Thai person is not going to get into a violent confrontation unless he knows he has the backing of someone nearby.

Leave the Hollywood Macho thing where the lone guy fights off multiple attackers where it belongs - in the movies.

Agree yes.

all fire arms lisences in LOS cover any fire arm with max 10 bullets. A Glock able to hold 15+1 is legal under this lisence as long as it contains max 10 bullets.

There is no small/large gun/calibre difference in lisences. Each lisence is specific to one gun and its serialnumbers, IOW one owner needs as many lisences as guns owned

Where to place OPs guns I cant say, but as they deliver an object to hit someone else, larger than a plastic pellet, I would assume they need to be lisenced

carrying an illegal/non lisenced gun in LOS is automaticly imprisonment, followed by deportation for a foreigner

all fire arms lisences in LOS cover any fire arm with max 10 bullets. A Glock able to hold 15+1 is legal under this lisence as long as it contains max 10 bullets.

There is no small/large gun/calibre difference in lisences. Each lisence is specific to one gun and its serialnumbers, IOW one owner needs as many lisences as guns owned

Where to place OPs guns I cant say, but as they deliver an object to hit someone else, larger than a plastic pellet, I would assume they need to be lisenced

carrying an illegal/non lisenced gun in LOS is automaticly imprisonment, followed by deportation for a foreigner

There was indeed a separation in requirements for different caliber and type-groups when I looked into this a few years ago. For handguns it was 2 main groups iirc.

A 'normal' handgun, semi-automatic in 9mm, Revolver in .38 etc has lower requirements than for example a S&W .44M.

Appart from the fact that this looks like a very thinly disguised promotion of a product to which the OP admits he has "an affiliation"

Has it occurred to the OP that if he feels he needs a weapon to go some place then he ought really not go there?

The thinking - 'I have a weapon, so I can go some place were I do not feel safe without a weapon is a first class example of ignoring risks'

Or perhaps make assessmenst as needed as to where such items are really necessary (meaning that every country has a few if not numerous places where there is mild to very strong danger in walking around the streets), then avoid these areas. And in reality there is no need to carry weapons of any sort in 99% of Thailand.

Or, If the OP is really itching to carry a weapon, then get a job as a mercinary somwhere in Africa, etc.

Personally, as a Vietnam veteran, I'm hoping that I never have to see any form of weapon ever again, and I'm hoping that my kids grow up also never having to see any form of weapons being carried other than by those properly authorized and on a realistic needs basis.

There was indeed a separation in requirements for different caliber and type-groups when I looked into this a few years ago. For handguns it was 2 main groups iirc.

A 'normal' handgun, semi-automatic in 9mm, Revolver in .38 etc has lower requirements than for example a S&W .44M.

We have 2 lisences, one issued in 2004 and one in 2007, both Phuket Muang, both purchase lisences covering ANY gun with max 10 bullets. I chose the Glock 9mm over the large caliber, as I find it better to have 15 in each magasine than to have 9? large calibre.

Of course, none of this helps the original poster as he is trying to promote or sell these taser guns in Thailand. Not only are they probably illegal to own / carry in Thailand I don't suppose they are cheap, either. Thankfully, I doubt he will be getting too many takers.

We have 2 lisences, one issued in 2004 and one in 2007, both Phuket Muang, both purchase lisences covering ANY gun with max 10 bullets. I chose the Glock 9mm over the large caliber, as I find it better to have 15 in each magasine than to have 9? large calibre.

So you got a licence to own any gun with a maximum of 10 bullets, then you proceed to tell us that your gun holds 15 rounds. To me, it sounds like your gun is now unlicensed.

So you got a licence to own any gun with a maximum of 10 bullets, then you proceed to tell us that your gun holds 15 rounds. To me, it sounds like your gun is now unlicensed.

A purchase lisence allows you to purchase any gun with max 10 bullets, even if its able to hold more. When gun is purchased, gun is registered on you and lisence to own this gun is issued, stating for max 10 bullets.

My Glock can hold 1 bullet, the standard short magasines going into it can hold 15 bullets each. They are always separated until needed, thus legal. Inserting and using it with 16 bullets would be in breach of lisence, if anyone would care to check.

More info on gun ownership for those interested, is to be found in a previous topic here in General

Of course, none of this helps the original poster as he is trying to promote or sell these taser guns in Thailand. Not only are they probably illegal to own / carry in Thailand I don't suppose they are cheap, either. Thankfully, I doubt he will be getting too many takers.

Not really, this affiliation is mainly for the American market, not for the Asian region anyway, the affiliate links do not work here ;)

Just like to share some thoughts about this stuff and see what other people think of tasers and stun-guns, actually I do not want to carry any weapon and I'm never in trouble. In Pattaya I eventually can ask a friend who joins the tourist police to accompany me when sightseeing around that Russian enclave, lol

Several posters seems to think that Pattaya is like Iraq or Afghanistan, that's not the case. If you behave yourself and don't get so drunk that you can't stand on your feet and walk alone at 0300AM you will be OK.

I been in Patts for over 3 years now and I never had any problems. When I get too drunk, I catch a MC taxi home :whistling::ph34r: