New Mall In Cm

jimmym40

I am bewildered and sad that some of the most egregious notions of marketing (like MacDonalds and shopping malls) are so readily imported.

Each to his own taste [see note], of course, and I am not a slave to the "romantic" past, but is this commercial homogenization an improvement?

Well, at least a new mall on the 2nd ring road might keep the new suburban riffraff out of the town!

Note: Check first with your cardiologist before visiting MacDonalds

Chiang Mai's 5th McDonalds is now open at Meechok Plaza.:thumbsup::welcomeani::licklips:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have heard is that Central plans to move out of Khad Suen Khaew when their lease is up and they are building a new center (mush like Central World I think) caddy corner to the municipal court building on the Super Highway. It was stopped for awhile but I'm told they have resumed.

All I have heard is that Central plans to move out of Khad Suen Khaew when their lease is up and they are building a new center (mush like Central World I think) caddy corner to the municipal court building on the Super Highway. It was stopped for awhile but I'm told they have resumed.

Ah, OK thanks. It will be nice if that traffic at KSK gets sent out to the ring roads.

There are supposed to be two new shopping centres :bah:.

The one on the corner of 2nd ring road will be CM Paragon,and there will be a new Central on the Sansai road.

Promenada. Not Paragon.

According to the link, the latest notice about this project is 4 or 5 years ago :whistling:

hello... Earth calling LJW... Earth calling LJW... They have started construction. As per the posts. Above. ^ there.

You mean children's court right? There's no municipal court on the super highway.

Since moving to CM I have not been in the mall much to be honest - Airport is very boring while KSK is one of the strangest buildings I know. Whenever I enter it I wonder why it hasn't been taken down yet. Check in the quieter corners of that monstrosity to see what I mean - it's a horrible design that didn't age well, either.

There is nothing wrong with the design, other than perhaps that large open internal court area, with the shops on the other end being a bit out of sight. All it needs is some interior painting and having some of the ceilings redone. There's nothing wrong with it, other than being in a congested area. EDIT: Oh, and that they charge an outrageous 10 baht for parking, of course. This is probably the main reason why Airport Plaza is tha biz right now. free parking. :)

Edited by CheGuava

I'm surprised to see no mention of the new mall apparently scheduled to start building in January inside the Superhighway in Santitham area near Jet Yod. The large vacant lot adjoining Tewan Road (where the big moo katha place used to be), which was acquired by the owners of the Grand View hotel last year.

They are currently completing a large museum and conference hall development behind the hotel and the new project will commence when this one finishes. I don't know any details of what outlets will go there, how big etc, but they have certainly invested heavily in their current project, which is also very well provisioned with large, multi storey, parking garage. I would therefore anticipate something of similar quality.

Yes...it is the Juvenile Court building..not Municipal.

LJW...many projects in Chiang Mai were put on hold due to the economy and the political situation. They have restarted.

Pagaii...The center I mentioned on Nimmanheiman and Huey Khaew is on land owned by Oishi Company and it is on hold...the one you mention appears to be very close to that one.

I don't get the constant moaning and hand-wringing over McDonald's restaurants in shopping malls. :blink:

There are plenty of places to get Thai food in Thailand and there always will be (and much of it is just as unhealthy as Micki D's if that rings you bell).

There are very few decent local equivalents of fast food outlets other than Chester's Chicken and fast food places are perfect for shopping malls as many people are in a hurry and some want Western style food.

If one does not want to eat fast food, that is fine. The food courts in shopping malls always have numerous Thai restaurants and food stalls.

Simply pass up McDonald's if you do not want to eat there. After all, to each his own.

I guess its not the product or chain itself.. Merely the sight of western brands pushing into Thailand.. A sign of globalization that people react to and McD's get the blame.

Pagaii...The center I mentioned on Nimmanheiman and Huey Khaew is on land owned by Oishi Company and it is on hold...the one you mention appears to be very close to that one.

I think the location you are talking about is at "A" on the attached? Next to Kad Rinkham? The location I'm talking about is at "B" and the new conference centre at "C".

The site may be even bigger if they demolish a couple of very run down condos that are in one corner.

post-42325-0-62537300-1293512567_thumb.j

Edited by Paagai

Surely they could have found a better location?

It's actually a cracking location and is perfect for drivers east of town. Having it anywhere near the Night Bazaar, or within walking distance of those areas, would be nuts.

There are supposed to be two new shopping centres :bah:.

The one on the corner of 2nd ring road will be CM Paragon,and there will be a new Central on the Sansai road.

So,good if you have land up there,'cause it looks like it will be worth at least 50% more soon.:o

My g/f owns some land right around the corner from the new site. That was the first thing she said when we passed by there the other day and saw that construction had begun. One of her aunts as well as an uncle also purchased land next to hers on speculation of this shopping center (as well as being close to the new Central location).

I think the location you are talking about is at "A" on the attached? Next to Kad Rinkham? The location I'm talking about is at "B" and the new conference centre at "C".

The site may be even bigger if they demolish a couple of very run down condos that are in one corner.

What on google earth is Chiang Mai Zoo doing opposite your site "A" ? There are so many places incorrectly marked on Google Earth.

sansa sam

re ... new center (mush like Central World I think) caddy corner to the municipal court building on the Super Highway

i wodered what this huge building site opposite arcade bus station was going to be in october ... now i know : )

dave2

ps ... had to be 2 pics coz its so wide

pps ... the highest red roof on the left is the court building

IMO location is the issue for this mall. The only reason I would go once in a while to Emporium for example is because it is right next to a Skytrain station. If not I wouldn't bother. Those type of malls need to be in a good location.

Surely they could have found a better location? Somewhere between the rail station and night bazaar. This one is just too far away; they'll have to provide bus service or free shuttle.

There's another mall opening soon BTW, near Kad Suan Kaew.

skytrain station??????? did I miss the building of a skytrain here?

I had Hong Kong food at Mei Jiang yesterday. More signs of globalization and that Chiang Mai has more food options than it did in 1947. :-(

Excellent noodles and other dishes, but desserts are only a shadown of what they do in Hong Kong. Still I would welcome a place like that opening at Promenada.

Off topic. Care to share directions to Mei Jiang? Sounds interesting.

Sure; it's a shophouse sized restaurant on Chiang Mai Land road. it's on the left side when entering from Aom Muang Road. (Fairly close to the Aom Muang end of Chiang Mai Land road)

IMO location is the issue for this mall. The only reason I would go once in a while to Emporium for example is because it is right next to a Skytrain station. If not I wouldn't bother. Those type of malls need to be in a good location.

Surely they could have found a better location? Somewhere between the rail station and night bazaar. This one is just too far away; they'll have to provide bus service or free shuttle.

skytrain station??????? did I miss the building of a skytrain here?

That had me stumped at first and then I noticed there name and it all made sense.

'thedistillers They were in the distillery when they wrote it :D

Surely you jest. It's about 10 minutes' drive from old town!! Maybe it seems far when you don't go out there very often, but really, it's quite close. I should know; I go to the area five times/week for work.

Surely you jest. It's about 10 minutes' drive from old town!! Maybe it seems far when you don't go out there very often, but really, it's quite close. I should know; I go to the area five times/week for work.

What you say may or may not be true. It makes no difference for those of us who depend on are two feet and puplic transportation. From where I live it is easy to get a free shuttle to airport mall. What are they going to offer me that I can not get at the Airport Mall. I will in all likly hood go there to see what it is like. I am a big one in going just for the experience.:)

:sorry:to the foodies. I just had this over whelming urge to say some thing about the topic.:sorry:

Edited by jayjay0
  • Like 1

What you say may or may not be true. It makes no difference for those of us who depend on are two feet and puplic transportation. From where I live it is easy to get a free shuttle to airport mall. What are they going to offer me that I can not get at the Airport Mall. I will in all likly hood go there to see what it is like. I am a big. one in going just for the experience.:)

:sorry:to the foodies. I just had this over whelming urge to say some thing about the topic.:sorry:

What most poster on this forum do not realized is that a serious large majority of farangs and Thais DO NOT live inside the super highway. The population explosion for Chiang Mai over the pass few years is north, east and south of the Super Highway along with the economic growth that goes with it. The city of Chiang Mai has and is land locked the logistics of navigating about town have become a nightmare. The areas around the two major malls in town are a serious cluster <deleted>. Not only my self but a tremendous amount of population very seldom go to these malls, frequent restaurants or night clubs in town for these reasons. Building a mall on this scale requires approximately 80 rai of land and by that requirement along with the physical logistics and location inside the city are next to impossible. When you go on GE and look at the location (directly in back of Big C on the SH) it makes all the sense in the world for its location.GPS 18.76563,99.036319 . Now for the FOODIES.. COMEING TO A NEW MALL NEAR YOU "MCDONALDS" Chiang Mai's number 6th.:lol:

What you say may or may not be true. It makes no difference for those of us who depend on are two feet and puplic transportation. From where I live it is easy to get a free shuttle to airport mall. What are they going to offer me that I can not get at the Airport Mall. I will in all likly hood go there to see what it is like. I am a big one in going just for the experience.:)

I suspect an out of town mall with good parking isnt going for the 'non vehicular' customer base.

I suspect an out of town mall with good parking isnt going for the 'non vehicular' customer base.

This is my reply to you and gotlost.

I have to agree with you both. My question is how do they expect to stay viable. They are not open yet and so can in no way be taking away from the Airport and KSG. I can not speak for KSG but prior to November the Airport was not all that busy. I find it hard to believe that people will drive all over the country side to shop when they can do it in one place. that dosen't count for dining out. People drive to there favorites understandable.

In short where are they going to get a customer base large enough to support a Mall with out a little support from the non driving residents and in the tourist season tourist's.

I know for a fact that the tourist's go to the airport mall. I meet many of them on the free shuttle.

Now on the other hand if they had a Burger King...........:D

I have to agree with you both. My question is how do they expect to stay viable. They are not open yet and so can in no way be taking away from the Airport and KSG. I can not speak for KSG but prior to November the Airport was not all that busy. I find it hard to believe that people will drive all over the country side to shop when they can do it in one place. that dosen't count for dining out. People drive to there favorites understandable.

Then prepare to be surprised. If it was in BKK, Airport would be considered an older, 2nd-tier mall. In Chiang Mai, it's the best we've got, and it's always full - I get there by car and good luck trying to find a parking spot inside on any day - on weekends the huge outside lot is packed too.

Anyway, CM is definitely ripe for a brand new proper mall, this is a city of over 1M after all.

Edit: They don't build these malls for people who arrive with the free shuttle. While it's probably making money ferrying more tourists to the mall than it costs to operate, the mall needs thousands and tens of thousands of visitors a day to be viable, not the - just a guess - less than 100 arriving per free shuttle...

Edited by nikster

Then prepare to be surprised. If it was in BKK, Airport would be considered an older, 2nd-tier mall. In Chiang Mai, it's the best we've got, and it's always full - I get there by car and good luck trying to find a parking spot inside on any day - on weekends the huge outside lot is packed too.

Anyway, CM is definitely ripe for a brand new proper mall, this is a city of over 1M after all.

Edit: They don't build these malls for people who arrive with the free shuttle. While it's probably making money ferrying more tourists to the mall than it costs to operate, the mall needs thousands and tens of thousands of visitors a day to be viable, not the - just a guess - less than 100 arriving per free shuttle...

1M population in Chiang Mai City??? You been reading to much propaganda.:huh: Everything else I agree.:D

1M population in Chiang Mai City??? You been reading to much propaganda.:huh: Everything else I agree.:D

It depends where you stop counting. 'City' may refer to Muang district, which is likely FAR under 1 million. (300K perhaps?) But then there's a lot of people if you include the metropolitan area which may (depending on how you choose to count) include (parts of) surrounding districts.

It depends where you stop counting. 'City' may refer to Muang district, which is likely FAR under 1 million. (300K perhaps?) But then there's a lot of people if you include the metropolitan area which may (depending on how you choose to count) include (parts of) surrounding districts.

From ThaiVisa Weather. Out Leader only tells the truth.. City is 200952

Weather and city info about Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai

Info about Chiang Mai

• Category: Regional capital
  • Region: Chiang Mai
  • Time Zone: Asia/Bangkok GMT+7
  • Population: 200952
  • Geonames-ID: 1153671
  • See it on: Map

• Latitude: 18°47′25″N
  • Longitude: 98°58′54″E
  • Decimal coordinates: 18.7903 98.9817