Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

At Home Pro in Chalong there is a little open air restaurant called Steak Samkong.

Give it a try if you are in the area,The food and service is excellent and it is not expensive

The best fish and chips i have had in Phuket 150 baht, Grilled sausages(real ones) with

mash potatoes, gravy, salad veggies 165 baht, spaghetti with different sauces about 80 baht

The boss had the spaghetti and for her to say its good it must be good.

Have a happy new year everyone, and i hope the new year is a prosperous one for you.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im always looking for places that sell farang food all over thailand.If the area has A large farang presence like pattaya ,udonthani,chiangmai,it's not to hard to find something.But small towns that there aren't many farangs ,i about starve.

im always looking for places that sell farang food all over thailand.If the area has A large farang presence like pattaya ,udonthani,chiangmai,it's not to hard to find something.But small towns that there aren't many farangs ,i about starve.

Yeh thanks for that OP, I've been looking for Farang food on Phuket for months and haven't found anything yet!! :blink:

Seriously though, I didn't know they had opened up a second restaurant, the original one is a great place to eat. I don't get that far south more than 3 or 4 times a month, but will definately stop in next time I'm that way. cheers for the heads up.

A new place called Delish in Rawai in the new Fisherman's Way Village.

It is very good. Been twice now.

Grilled vegetable salad only 110 - included eggplant and sweet potato and also had a pumpkin celary soup with garlic bread! Yum that was like 110 and a generous helping too!

They had some meat dishes but as I am vegetarian I did not try them.

They also had:

Fresh Fruit/vegetable juices, the kind without ice and sugar. :)

Run by an Aussie woman with a Chilean cook. They have some nice quiches, breakfast and desserts too and great coffee.

It is a new shopping center past the Tesco on the way to Rawai past the circle.

http://www.delishcafe.net/

They close early so more of a lunch / early dinner place.

A new place called Delish in Rawai in the new Fisherman's Way Village.

It is very good. Been twice now.

Grilled vegetable salad only 110 - included eggplant and sweet potato and also had a pumpkin celary soup with garlic bread! Yum that was like 110 and a generous helping too!

They had some meat dishes but as I am vegetarian I did not try them.

They also had:

Fresh Fruit/vegetable juices, the kind without ice and sugar. :)

Run by an Aussie woman with a Chilean cook. They have some nice quiches, breakfast and desserts too and great coffee.

It is a new shopping center past the Tesco on the way to Rawai past the circle.

http://www.delishcafe.net/

They close early so more of a lunch / early dinner place.

hi

just read your ad.. i am a vegetarian also.. and i find it extremely difficult to eat in Phuket.. i am very strict.. no meat chicken or fish, or even stock or sauces.. so as you can imagine, and you have experienced its difficult.

but i am finding a few small places dotted about..

but i must say, very very happy with the local fruit and veg markets, loads of different stuff to try and eat.. i could live on fruit.. so its paradise for me, in that sense..

all the best,

robert

Yeh thanks for that OP, I've been looking for Farang food on Phuket for months and haven't found anything yet!! :blink:

Seriously though, I didn't know they had opened up a second restaurant, the original one is a great place to eat. I don't get that far south more than 3 or 4 times a month, but will definately stop in next time I'm that way. cheers for the heads up.

Yeah they have another place in Phuket town right? its good food there

hi

just read your ad.. i am a vegetarian also.. and i find it extremely difficult to eat in Phuket.. i am very strict.. no meat chicken or fish, or even stock or sauces.. so as you can imagine, and you have experienced its difficult.

but i must say, very very happy with the local fruit and veg markets, loads of different stuff to try and eat.. i could live on fruit.. so its paradise for me, in that sense..

all the best,

robert

Have you tried Richard's place in Nai Harn? Whole Foods, or Wholesome Foods, something like that. Supposed to be all organic vegan type fare.

hi

all the best,

robert

The Family, at the entrance of the Rawai Tesco Lotus on Viset.

Great Mediterranean food and many vegetarian options.

The Family, at the entrance of the Rawai Tesco Lotus on Viset.

Great Mediterranean food and many vegetarian options.

yepp

best Pita bread in Phuket, and delicious Israeli food at reasonable prices

Greenman, on the road from Chalong Circle to Kata. Its faded in popularity, but food is still very good and reading the menu is very amusing :D

yepp

best Pita bread in Phuket, and delicious Israeli food at reasonable prices

Greenman, on the road from Chalong Circle to Kata. Its faded in popularity, but food is still very good and reading the menu is very amusing :D

The owner of that Israeli restaurant supplies Villa Mart with Pita bread

The Israeli restaurants food is excellent so is the one i recommended

Its run by a Thai couple who learned to cook western food in Switzerland

Steak samkong is terrible. Cuts of meat are of very poor quality but you do get a lot of meat for your baht though. I had the meat platter with 3 different kinds of steaks. pork chicken and beef. They were all dry and weird in texture.

Family is good though.

May I ask when you last visited the Green Man?

I went in there for the last time approximately 6 weeks ago as part of a small group who used to enjoy the weekly quiz. This time the menu (very cleverly written) was no longer. Substituted by a few pages of simple meals. Alas they could not even get these right as food arrived cold, poorly cooked and at varying times. The ever genial host was compering the quiz himself that night and found himself on the end of an abusive tirade from some other guests complaining about the abysmal service and non arrival of their food. He simply ignored them and got on with the quiz.

This was not an isolated incident as the previous 3 times we had been there there had been issues every time. Wrong bills, added drinks, cold or undercooked food, long waits... so we did give them a chance. No effort was made to rectify matters.

I hope that you have been there more recently and that things are once again good.... I fear not. A group from our company went in there for a drink following a funeral in Mid December and confirmed that nothing has changed in the bar service at least.

I hope that you have been there more recently and that things are once again good.... I fear not. A group from our company went in there for a drink following a funeral in Mid December and confirmed that nothing has changed in the bar service at least.

I must agree here. I have given The Green Man numerous chances and every time the food is terrible. Once had fish and chips literally swimming in grease.

The last time, had a foccacia bread pizza, thought it smelled a little funny, but was ravenous, scarfed it down. Had 2-3 days Delhi belly.

Never again.

Not been to the greenman since the Indian cook left, 5 or 6 years ago. From what I have heard, the food has gone downhill and service really sucks.

I went to the Samkong steak house at Villa with wife and son. Nothing really special, prices are reasonable, servings are quite small.

Family restaurant is always good. Free pickles and peanuts as well.

I must agree here. I have given The Green Man numerous chances and every time the food is terrible. Once had fish and chips literally swimming in grease.

The last time, had a foccacia bread pizza, thought it smelled a little funny, but was ravenous, scarfed it down. Had 2-3 days Delhi belly.

Never again.

I have to agree with you GOM. Have given this place many tries since it first started many years ago. Problem seems to be that the chefs come & go at a fast pace, so you never know who is in charge of the kitchen. I have now completely given up eating or drinking there. Too many bad experiences with staff and food.

Steak samkong is terrible. Cuts of meat are of very poor quality but you do get a lot of meat for your baht though. I had the meat platter with 3 different kinds of steaks. pork chicken and beef. They were all dry and weird in texture.

I have regularily eaten at the original Steak 50 in Samkong since it first started more than 10 years ago. You get what you pay for and the European Food represents reasonable value for money. The owner tries hard to give good service and I appreciate that, so I go back often.

The new place in HomePro village is a bit more expensive, no Thai food for my wife, and who really wants to sit out in an open public walkway. Tried it quite a few times, it's Ok for a quick meal, but lacks any sort of atmosphere.

I have regularily eaten at the original Steak 50 in Samkong since it first started more than 10 years ago. You get what you pay for and the European Food represents reasonable value for money. The owner tries hard to give good service and I appreciate that, so I go back often.

The new place in HomePro village is a bit more expensive, no Thai food for my wife, and who really wants to sit out in an open public walkway. Tried it quite a few times, it's Ok for a quick meal, but lacks any sort of atmosphere.

We only go in the evenings when there is not very many pedestrians about and its quite pleasant to sit outside

If you have tried it quite a few times you must think the food is OK or you would not go back :) .

The FAMILLY and SAMKONG are old established Phuket restuaants who give value for money.. good food and especially good sevice..i have known both the owners for a long time, and one thing for sure they both know how to take care of their customers.... because most of their customers are their... FREINDS...

rolleyes.gif

there is another two steak sam kong places. the first called steak 59 a ittle futher up from the first steak sam kong to wards the BKK internation on your right as you leave steak samkong, its good and, although all these were partners i like this better, plusbiggrin.gif there is also 'steak rawai' on saiyuan road it looks small but has an air con room it's on the right just past the old Dons place,heading towards kata all the people who run these eateries were working on the same cruise ships many years ago steak Rawai is good biggrin.gif as is the one on home pro in fact all the steak places are good riley 76

Old Samkong is good, never tried the new one, and you get what you pay for, if you want great great steaks go 9th floor

If you really want great steaks, go to Makro select the cut of beef you like, have it cut to the thickness you like,

and then cook/BBQ it yourself the way you like it, I like my steak medium to well done so it still has a light

pink strip in the middle, Some people can cook it the way you like, other times its served still Mooing or would

make good leather for the soles of shoes.:)

I went in there for the last time approximately 6 weeks ago as part of a small group who used to enjoy the weekly quiz. This time the menu (very cleverly written) was no longer. Substituted by a few pages of simple meals. Alas they could not even get these right as food arrived cold, poorly cooked and at varying times. The ever genial host was compering the quiz himself that night and found himself on the end of an abusive tirade from some other guests complaining about the abysmal service and non arrival of their food. He simply ignored them and got on with the quiz.

This was not an isolated incident as the previous 3 times we had been there there had been issues every time. Wrong bills, added drinks, cold or undercooked food, long waits... so we did give them a chance. No effort was made to rectify matters.

Sorry, havent been there for a while, being aware of the turnover in the kitchen I shouldnt have recommended it based on my recent lack of visits.

Sorry, havent been there for a while, being aware of the turnover in the kitchen I shouldnt have recommended it based on my recent lack of visits.

The Green Man is pretty bad.

Some friends and I went there to have some drinks and food on a promotion evening. My girlfriend was drinking wine because it was on the promo menu for a good price(not sure exactly how much) but when we got the bill it was 4x the price! They're excuse was that they had run out of the cheaper wine and had substituted it for a more expensive one and not told us! It was eventually but badly dealt with, and our friends all have similar stories.

It feels quite like an English pub though. Has anyone seen the league of gentleman? whistling.gif