Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

The Fish and chip set at 'chips and dips' next to the traffic circle on chao fa east isn't bad at all. Its's not a proper battered fish but you get a few decent sized chunks of beer battered fish and the chips are not bad too. Combine that with your choice of dip and a drink for 199 baht and on some nights I believe its buy 1 get 1 free. You cant loose

Hmmmm........don't know if it's the same owner, or, someone finally bought him out, but the fish batter was disgusting.

It was like eating fish in a doughnut.

Haha maybe I'm easily pleased but I've been there a few times and always thought it was decent. Not the best in the world, but in no way comparable with fish in a doughnut. Give it a try again then tell me I'm wrong.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened to brown rice? i mean, where did it go? i was away from phuket for two weeks, came back and the place is GONE! let me know the details...

She is no longer in Phuket. She apparently "borrowed" some money to open the place. Use your imagination for the rest.

thanks for that, BillR. i'll use my imagination...didn't care for the place (or the girl) too much, but it was down the street from my place. convenient at most.

The Fish and chip set at 'chips and dips' next to the traffic circle on chao fa east isn't bad at all. Its's not a proper battered fish but you get a few decent sized chunks of beer battered fish and the chips are not bad too. Combine that with your choice of dip and a drink for 199 baht and on some nights I believe its buy 1 get 1 free. You cant loose

Hmmmm........don't know if it's the same owner, or, someone finally bought him out, but the fish batter was disgusting.

I tried that place a couple of times when it first opened quite a few years ago. Owner (English guy ?) previously had a Fish & chips in Phuket Town. The food was quite average and service below average. I thought he closed up after a couple of years, but I noticed the place opened up again but never called in given my previous experience. I'll give it a try again & let you all know what it was like.

Not the same fish and chips. The owner sold off a couple of years ago to a Singaporean guy who worked out in the oil platforms at sea. His tilac sunk the business to the ground, borrowed money from customers, etc etc. That shop has closed.

The new one just next to the dim sum place, with ZERO parking space, just before the Bhudda shop on the left... never tried that place. I would love to, but impossible to park.

I tried that place a couple of times when it first opened quite a few years ago. Owner (English guy ?) previously had a Fish & chips in Phuket Town. The food was quite average and service below average. I thought he closed up after a couple of years, but I noticed the place opened up again but never called in given my previous experience. I'll give it a try again & let you all know what it was like.

Chips and dips is new, by a Belgian guy, mainly Dutch and Belgian fries and assorted things. From circle direction Phuket Town, first shophouse on the right, even before police station on the opposite side.

Good for Belgian fries and e.g. frikandel and kroket.

Edited by stevenl

Chips and dips is new, by a Belgian guy, mainly Dutch and Belgian fries and assorted things. From circle direction Phuket Town, first shophouse on the right, even before police station on the opposite side.

Good for Belgian fries and e.g. frikandel and kroket.

Aaahh ... sorry, thought you were talking about Fish & chips further along Chao Fa East going to Phuket Town. I've had a look in the Fish & Dips place, examined the menu, and thought it was just a very bad clone of a fast food chain. Never bought anything, walked down to Happy Days for some real food.

Where can one get decent fish n chips with proper battered fish as I do not like the crumbed variety? Hard to find since the tragic demise of the couple from the shop on the road from circle to pier.

The fish & chips at Garden Restaurant in Rawai /Nai Harn were excellent & very reasonable priced, but............................. I not see him open for a while, maybe holiday

what happened to brown rice? i mean, where did it go? i was away from phuket for two weeks, came back and the place is GONE! let me know the details...

Hi amyb, welcome back.

I don't know the exact details on brown rice, but the family that was living there was basically running that out of their house. Looked in yesterday and it looks like the family has moved out, or taken an extended vacation.

As things are going on Sai Yuan, I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered a bunch of money for the frontage so that someone could build a shophouse.......took the money back to Isaan.

All speculation.

Hi amyb, welcome back.

I don't know the exact details on brown rice, but the family that was living there was basically running that out of their house. Looked in yesterday and it looks like the family has moved out, or taken an extended vacation.

As things are going on Sai Yuan, I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered a bunch of money for the frontage so that someone could build a shophouse.......took the money back to Isaan.

All speculation.

Thanks, GOM! It's good to be back!

I've heard on the forum and from another business owner that the girl with the shaved head borrowed money and ran off...as for the family in the house, I don't know...

Sai Yuan is starting to break my heart...so many eyesores in the form of shophouses and little boutiques selling ugly dresses! :)

Hope to run into you soon!

LARGE PORTIONS - CHEAP

Recently found these guys... Swedish Husband (So good with meat, burgers, meatballs..)

Thai wife, good service... not tried Thai food there yet..

Free Delivery locally....

Andys Kebabs and other Food

Chips and Dips was unexpectedly closed yesterday, remembered this post and tried them.

Liked the mashed potatoes and gravy sauce, but for the meat balls it was clearly not the first time they were heated.

Still, will try them again, next time the kebab probably.

Chips and Dips was unexpectedly closed yesterday, remembered this post and tried them.

Liked the mashed potatoes and gravy sauce, but for the meat balls it was clearly not the first time they were heated.

Still, will try them again, next time the kebab probably.

I was also passing by chips and dill and it was closed a shame, went to Andy's Kebabs but sat a few older gentlemen with a barladys outside and drank beer did not feel right place to eat with my girl on a saturday...:blink:

Went to Fattys, had a nice steak!

I was also passing by chips and dill and it was closed a shame, went to Andy's Kebabs but sat a few older gentlemen with a barladys outside and drank beer did not feel right place to eat with my girl on a saturday...:blink:

Went to Fattys, had a nice steak!

Yes, does not look very attractive to sit down, agree with you. I had a take away, so no problems there.

after all the buzz about delish cafe, i joined some friends there for lunch yesterday. all that i can say is FANTASTIC! i loved the place. the ambience is cute, the couple who run the place lovely, and the food delicious. we all had specials from the board--i had a feta & roasted tomato tart and a salad--and including drinks, paid around 200 THB. because all 3 of us lived here, they gave us a discount card. i will definitely be going back.

Went to the Sunday roast at Happy Days. You have a choice of beef, chicken or pork roast. I had the beef. It was very good, but they burnt the Yorkshire pudding and it was horrible. You also have a choice of either tomato or pumpkin soup. I had the pumpkin soup and it was excellent.

Went to Adam Kebab the other night. Tasty & cheap. if you are looking for ambience go elsewhere or just order takeaway. I do enjoy the roast at Happy Days when I go but sometimes not easy to get yorkshire pudding which is not burnt & much prefer the pumpkin soup over the tomato plus the price includes a coffee.

Good real fish,chips and peas, they only use cod in batter..try Chalong beer garden by the pier in Chalong,home of the GOMS,but they only have it on friday and saturdays,,,from 6 pm on...try them? see for yourself,180 bht,inc bread and butter

Good real fish,chips and peas, they only use cod in batter..try Chalong beer garden by the pier in Chalong,home of the GOMS,but they only have it on friday and saturdays,,,from 6 pm on...try them? see for yourself,180 bht,inc bread and butter

Sounds like a good deal & not far to go. For those of you interested in a good nosh this coming Sunday the Chalong Pier Beer Garden is the start & finish of the GOMS car rally which will be great fun & is open to the public if you wish to participate. 1,500 Baht covers driver & navigator & includes the following :

1. Limited edition t shirts

2. 2 meals including buffet lunch at Patong,go kart speedway,and dinner at kanaeng@thepier.

3. Go kart race at the speed way with prizes for the winners..

4. Prize giving ceremony including champagne for the wining team..Trophy's for 1st.2nd and 3rd teams plus a special trophy for the best Go kart racer..

5.All this and a chance to win a signed picture of Donald Cambells..BLUEBIRD.Showing his record breaking attempt at the world land speed record...

Everything is sponsored & all proceeds will go to a charitable cause agreed upon by GOMS members which does not use any funds for administration. Entry forms can be found at http://phuketgoms.org or send me a PM.

<snip>

I do enjoy the roast at Happy Days when I go but sometimes not easy to get yorkshire pudding which is not burnt & much prefer the pumpkin soup over the tomato plus the price includes a coffee.

Ee bye gum lad, there's nowt wrong wit' burnt Yorkshire pud!

A spoonful of Tate & Lyles will make it right tasty.

<snip>

I do enjoy the roast at Happy Days when I go but sometimes not easy to get yorkshire pudding which is not burnt & much prefer the pumpkin soup over the tomato plus the price includes a coffee.

Ee bye gum lad, there's nowt wrong wit' burnt Yorkshire pud!

A spoonful of Tate & Lyles will make it right tasty.

Just wondering if you are from nearby & who's ancestors may have been involved in the execution of a monkey. But seriously folks they do need to work on the Yorkshire pud. BTW at the kebab place I tried both the kebab, small one for starter which came with a couple of good sauces, & Swedish meatballs which brings to mind the question of what makes a meatball Swedish?

from wikipedia:

Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with gravy, boiled potatoes, lingonberry jam, and sometimes fresh pickled cucumber.[1] Traditionally, they are small, measuring one half inch in diameter. In the United States, there are a number of variations, based on the assimilation of Swedes in the Midwest.

Not sure, but in the US at least the gravy uses sour cream in the sauce and normally served with a broad egg noodle.

Edited by BillR

from wikipedia:

Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with gravy, boiled potatoes, lingonberry jam, and sometimes fresh pickled cucumber.[1] Traditionally, they are small, measuring one half inch in diameter. In the United States, there are a number of variations, based on the assimilation of Swedes in the Midwest.

Not sure, but in the US at least the gravy uses sour cream in the sauce and normally served with a broad egg noodle.

Hmmmmmm.......and here I thought a Swedish Meatball was just a Swede with no manners.

Learn something everyday !

Just came back from Adam's Kebabs.

I had the 120 Baht chicken kebab. There must have been virtually a whole chicken in there and it tasted great. Must have been done on a spit. Salad was inside and two sauces supplied, the red and the white. Both very good.

My only complaint would be the pita bread, but, then I've never had a real pita bread on Phuket (please don't make me laugh and mention the Family restaurant).

I decided to eat there. Service was quick and friendly. Ambiance? What do you expect at a kebab house? Most in the UK don't even have tables and chairs.

The aging fellas with their younger wives didn't bother me in the least. Mainly because I'm a lower class peasant myself and if you like people watching, they are great to watch, only exceeded by upper class twits that like to put on airs.

Unfortunately, there were none in evidence.

If you are really hungry and don't fancy spending much, then Adam's Kebabs does give you excellent value for money.

Edited by KarenBravo

My mum used to make enough Yorkshire pud on a Sunday so I could have some with Golden Syrup on for afters. Oh my God, what happened to those days? :(

And if anyone can point me to a fish & chips shop that comes anywhere close to selling something like this, please let me know:

med_gallery_35489_952_56418.jpg

My mum used to make enough Yorkshire pud on a Sunday so I could have some with Golden Syrup on for afters. Oh my God, what happened to those days? :(

And if anyone can point me to a fish & chips shop that comes anywhere close to selling something like this, please let me know:

Yorkshire is the biggest county in England. It would be a real coincidence if JetsetBkk was from Hartlepool.

Nowadays I go to Sizzler when I fancy fush n chips but would certainly like to know of a place that serves same as the photo. I have always enjoyed golden syrup on pancakes especially those that have a couple of strips of bacon in them. My dear old dad used to make the best ones but my daughters do a commendable job now that he is gone. By pancakes I do not mean the dry fluffy American style version aka flapjacks.

KB, glad you enjoyed your kebab. I can only imagine how filling the large kebabs are after trying the small one which was anything but small.

Yorkshire is the biggest county in England. It would be a real coincidence if JetsetBkk was from Hartlepool.

Hartlepool? I have only heard of Hartlepool from the football results and still don't know where it is! :D

Anywhere north of the Watford gap is a different country to me. :lol: