Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

There is a small open air restaurant on the road where Dons used to be, mainly good Thai food

and a small selection of western food, i tried the fish and chips there and the fish was over cooked

which seems normal here, tried the Fillet Mignon yesterday and it was excellent especially at 150 baht

Thai beef but not tough, a nice mushroom gravy, chips and vegetables.

Heading past the old Dons its just before the Tesco Lotus store on the opposite side and has a large

Tamarind tree next to it in the parking area

From the T junction in the opposite direction you can see the Tamarind tree on the right hand side

as soon as you come around the corner

You want ..fish[ cod] chips[home made] and peas and bread and butter..then make your way to Chalong beer garden[next to kaneang @ the pier]....they have this special, only every Friday and Saturday 6.00 pm onwards for a reasonable 180 bht , good taste, and the battered cod is good..try it yourself...

You want ..fish[ cod] chips[home made] and peas and bread and butter..then make your way to Chalong beer garden[next to kaneang @ the pier]....they have this special, only every Friday and Saturday 6.00 pm onwards for a reasonable 180 bht , good taste, and the battered cod is good..try it yourself...

will give it a try, sounds good

Tried the curry hut next to Roxanne's bar. Ordered chicken madras and tikka massala. One was decent, the other barely edible with a few bits of chicken in both dishes.

I'm no curry expert but this was certainly not a good curry.

In comparison, there is an excellent indian restaurant in rawai, "Mr Asoke", opposite to Laguna bars. The curries were really delicious, as well as the rotis.

Here are some of my picks in rawai :

Jungle Rum : decent prices, some original dishes, real chef in the kitchen, best ratio quality/price in rawai

The wall (new restaurant next to MM pizza) : went only once there but was pleasantly surprised with the cooking quality. Only restaurant in rawai were I had a "fine dining" experience

Mando : best steaks in rawai

L'orfeo : pretty good "french" restaurant, nice setting, friendly staff. Could have more surprises on the menu. A bit expensive.

Celtique : another pretty good french restaurant, extensive choice. Some dishes a bit "heavy" with lots of sauce (drawback of french traditionnal cooking).

Da Vinci : overpriced but hot waitresses.

For cheap farang food (salads, chicken burgers, chicken wings) I like to go to Rawai steak on sai yuan.

Tried the curry hut next to Roxanne's bar. Ordered chicken madras and tikka massala. One was decent, the other barely edible with a few bits of chicken in both dishes.

In comparison, there is an excellent indian restaurant in rawai, "Mr Asoke", opposite to Laguna bars. The curries were really delicious, as well as the rotis.

Jungle Rum : decent prices, some original dishes, real chef in the kitchen, best ratio quality/price in rawai

The wall (new restaurant next to MM pizza) : went only once there but was pleasantly surprised with the cooking quality. Only restaurant in rawai were I had a "fine dining" experience

L'orfeo : pretty good "french" restaurant, nice setting, friendly staff. Could have more surprises on the menu. A bit expensive.

Celtique : another pretty good french restaurant, extensive choice. Some dishes a bit "heavy" with lots of sauce (drawback of french traditionnal cooking).

For cheap farang food (salads, chicken burgers, chicken wings) I like to go to Rawai steak on sai yuan.

As you say you are probably not a curry expert.I have eaten curries curries at Mr asokes and I find them Ok but how much did you pay 250-300 baht.Which curry at Roxanne's was inedible because I have tried them all and have never had any complaint.As they say you can please some of the people blah blah

I met up with the guy who owns The Curry Shack at Roxanne bar today and told him about your complaint.He said that over the last 2 weeks it has been quiet and he has only had regular returning customers but to make sure he asked his GF to check the bill's for the last few weeks and guess what? No bills for Tikka masala and Madras.Strange that.Sorry mate but you are full of BS

Wow you are quite the curry shack fanatic! Sure you are not the owner? ;)

Maybe it wasn't tikka massala but korma, can't recall the names. But I'm quite sure I bought 2 frozen curries to a thai lady at around 9h30pm last tuesday or wednesday, the first two of the menu (the non spicy and medium spicy ones, but both ended up being almost not spicy). Come on Sherlock, go check the bill. Why would I make up a story like that, are you out of your mind?

My gf and I quite liked the orange-ish curry (even though it was 5 tiny piece of chicken swimming into one liter of sauce) but we both aggreed the greenish one was just bad.

I'm not complaining, 100 baht for some frozen food is quite cheap and you can't expect too much. OK It's still more expensive than a gang penang gai that you can get freshly cooked in dozens of thai restaurants around, but cheaper than the similar tasting frozen curries you can find at villa market.

Anyway I did not post this to trashtalk curry shack but to praise mr Asoke restaurant which is very good and should satisfy thai visa curry enthousiasts who can afford a 350 baht bill.

Edited by snoother

Makro has OK beef, not the greatest. Last year I was helping a friend in Kata with his Bar / Restaurant and got many samples from different places and found Chioce in Kata is the best. 1 whole NY strip was around 2400 bht,but when cut I got 18 steaks out of it. Nice fat 1 1/2 inch thick. Very good beef. Check it out, not sure if you need account to buy there products.

If you really want great steaks, go to Makro select the cut of beef you like, have it cut to the thickness you like,

and then cook/BBQ it yourself the way you like it, I like my steak medium to well done so it still has a light

pink strip in the middle, Some people can cook it the way you like, other times its served still Mooing or would

make good leather for the soles of shoes.:)

Makro has OK beef, not the greatest. Last year I was helping a friend in Kata with his Bar / Restaurant and got many samples from different places and found Chioce in Kata is the best. 1 whole NY strip was around 2400 bht,but when cut I got 18 steaks out of it. Nice fat 1 1/2 inch thick. Very good beef. Check it out, not sure if you need account to buy there products.

hono, if you check central in the old frozen alley the australian meat is a lot cheaper if you buy the whole ribeye or whatever other part.. can have 18+steaks for 2k baht

Wow you are quite the curry shack fanatic! Sure you are not the owner? ;)

Maybe it wasn't tikka massala but korma, can't recall the names. But I'm quite sure I bought 2 frozen curries to a thai lady at around 9h30pm last tuesday or wednesday, the first two of the menu (the non spicy and medium spicy ones, but both ended up being almost not spicy). Come on Sherlock, go check the bill. Why would I make up a story like that, are you out of your mind?

My gf and I quite liked the orange-ish curry (even though it was 5 tiny piece of chicken swimming into one liter of sauce) but we both aggreed the greenish one was just bad.

I'm not complaining, 100 baht for some frozen food is quite cheap and you can't expect too much. OK It's still more expensive than a gang penang gai that you can get freshly cooked in dozens of thai restaurants around, but cheaper than the similar tasting frozen curries you can find at villa market.

Anyway I did not post this to trashtalk curry shack but to praise mr Asoke restaurant which is very good and should satisfy thai visa curry enthousiasts who can afford a 350 baht bill.

No.Not the owner.I tried a business in Thailand a few years ago.Never again thank you.

I suppose I am a bit of a fan of the place as I eat there at least once a week and have never had a bad one.

No worries mate.Everyone has different tastes

Tonight I did, and though OK (because I was hungry), really nothing to write home about. The fish was saturated in fat, possibly because of not being fried in a high enough temperature oil, and a lack of the quoted bread and butter (not really important). What is important to note is that this isn't a restaurant, and their very limited menu is basically bought in farang 'favourites' such as pies etc. There is no Thai food (so if the wife or g/f isn't really into Cornish Pasties or Aussie pies etc, she'll go hungry). I certainly wouldn't put it on a par with say 'Fatty's' Pork Cordon Bleu with pan fried potatoes and nice side salad for the same money.

Just where do you get decent fish n chips these days? I have heard some say Nikita's is good & others say it is not. I have yet to find any that match the ones from the couple on the way to Chalong Pier.

Which couple and what restaurant

We checked out the Chalong beer garden which is just a bar and went to the tamarind restaurant instead

Still looking for good fish and chips :)

Just where do you get decent fish n chips these days? I have heard some say Nikita's is good & others say it is not. I have yet to find any that match the ones from the couple on the way to Chalong Pier.

We checked out the Chalong beer garden which is just a bar and went to the tamarind restaurant instead

I'm guessing the valentine is talking about the couple that used to have the little eatery just before Happy Days, long gone now as the couple both deceased.

Just yesterday I tried the Fish & Chips at Happy Days, not so bad, cost 180 baht.

I'm guessing the valentine is talking about the couple that used to have the little eatery just before Happy Days, long gone now as the couple both deceased.

Just yesterday I tried the Fish & Chips at Happy Days, not so bad, cost 180 baht.

We went there one evening to try the fish and chips, the shop was closed and as we were walking away

the owner came out and said he was closed because his wife was sick, may they rest in peace

We went there one evening to try the fish and chips, the shop was closed and as we were walking away

the owner came out and said he was closed because his wife was sick, may they rest in peace

Very tragic indeed. She died from a stroke & not long after the funeral he put a gun to his head.

Back to the fish n chips. The other day I had some at Sizzler which I always liked but they were not up to the usual standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Being not British and only used to Indian curries I have to disagree with those who like the curry shack. Did not like it at all. Never knew there was more onion in a curry than in a union soup.

Took at leat half an hour to defrost and heat up again and the taste well................again I'm not British

• 2 weeks later...

And so, I learned my lesson, worth 350 baht.

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned.

I did not listen to my fellow Phuketeers but, alas, I was hungry, semi diabetic and started shacking from low blood sugar.

While walking around Villa HP, I thought, hey, I no hab sateak for maybe a good 2 or 3 years. So I sat down at Samkong "steak how". The first page of the menu showed big beautiful GRILLED, not pan fried, t-bone. 350bath. What is a fat guy to do?

post-53467-0-98558300-1314438883_thumb.j

HOLY $HIT! Full of fat, pan fried and fries so small that I had to zoom my camera to see the things. Raw, red, god-awful!

NEVER AGAIN, please, NEVER AGAIN.

I did not listen to my fellow Phuketeers but, alas, I was hungry, semi diabetic and started shacking from low blood sugar.

While walking around Villa HP, I thought, hey, I no hab sateak for maybe a good 2 or 3 years. So I sat down at Samkong "steak how". The first page of the menu showed big beautiful GRILLED, not pan fried, t-bone. 350bath. What is a fat guy to do?

HOLY $HIT! Full of fat, pan fried and fries so small that I had to zoom my camera to see the things. Raw, red, god-awful!

the original is opposite C-Cube/Meguire car wash/wax, a place I need to spend approx 2 hours every month to have my cars waxed. I eat it, but would prefere most foods over it. Time to search the neighborhood for some fried noodles I guess ;)

Never Again? you said you went to Samkong in post 15 on the first page of this topic, so its not your first visit :whistling: