Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

There's some new Turkish restaurant that just opened up on the main road from Chalong to Rawai. It looks to be about 500 metres before Friendship in one of the new shophouse type buildings. They are advertising kebabs and "European Food".

I tried the first or second day it opened, I might as well of put a sock in my mouth. Dry kebab, no seasoning and about 5 bahts worth of chicken inside. That being said, I will try again in a few weeks to see if they get that sorted.

Unfortunately I tried Kebab House as well. It was terrible experience. It seemed everything but Turkish food. Waste of time, waste of money. Will never go back :(.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a non smoker but do you get upset at the cars too? they emit more smoke than smokers ever will.

I'm not eating near an exhaust pipe, just surrounded by inconsiderate puffers whilst eating is torture.

Even if it's outside the danger from second hand smoke is considerable.Particularly when the wind blows your way.

It would be nice if Nikitas could put smokers in one area only.

i checked out the new Italian restaurant not far from the Rawai Pier on the weekend. It's called "La Bella Vita" and it's near the entrance to Rawai Temple. Friendly owners, nice atmosphere, FANTASTIC coffee and a tasty, thin & crispy pesto and salami pizza. The restaurant isn't too expensive, has a variety of set menus and has Thai food coming in a week or two. I'll definitely go back and I definitely recommend it.

I think theres some confusion here on the italian place, I just went to the one under mai's guesthouse and its called pizza lovers, and the food was very good and yes free bruschetta. I was looking for the place called "La bella vita", but didn't see it, so amyb if you could clarify a bit better as to where it is I would appreciate it. Always like to try the new places.

edit: Actually, just found their facebook page, it says opposite laguna disco. Is that accurate?

and edit again: here is the map http://www.facebook....100001718363798

Edited by BillR

I think theres some confusion here on the italian place, I just went to the one under mai's guesthouse and its called pizza lovers, and the food was very good and yes free bruschetta. I was looking for the place called "La bella vita", but didn't see it, so amyb if you could clarify a bit better as to where it is I would appreciate it. Always like to try the new places.

edit: Actually, just found their facebook page, it says opposite laguna disco. Is that accurate?

and edit again: here is the map http://www.facebook....100001718363798

As Amy says, next to entrance to Rawai temple, so other side of the road from Mai Guesthouse. Opposite Laguna would be correct.

Edited by stevenl

Had a good chicken burger in Delish yesterday along with a large banana smoothie. I was not so keen on the McDonald type fries but the owner is amenable to suggestions & hopefully he will change to home made ones. I will go back to try the beef burger & the toasted sandwiches sometime. There is a Vietnamese next door & what looks like an Italian/pizza place opening soon in the same complex i.e. Fisherman's Way.

Did you get a sourdough bun with your chicken burger ? I tried it and it looked and tasted like a normal boring white flour bun....nothing I will return for, but there are other things on the menu that I would like to try. The waitress was very nice though :) I did see the Vietnamese place next door and felt a bit sorry for the lady owner sitting alone outside waiting for customers. Maybe I'll try that place next time, but I always worry about empty places and the freshness of their food....

The Vietnamese is very good.

Fresh rice paper rolls that you make yourself with beef,pork and shrimp like filling with the fresh vegetables, amazing.

Also, try the beef pho soup.

Mmmmmm.

If you like your pizza, give Modena in Soi Sai Yuan a try. If you come from the traffic lights / 7 eleven in Rawai driving to Nai Harn, it on the left hand side, about two thirds down the road before the sharp right turn. The place does not look like much, but the pizza is outstanding!

If you like your pizza, give Modena in Soi Sai Yuan a try. If you come from the traffic lights / 7 eleven in Rawai driving to Nai Harn, it on the left hand side, about two thirds down the road before the sharp right turn. The place does not look like much, but the pizza is outstanding!

tried them once, so not really experienced there, but nothing special. M&M is IMO much better.

tried them once, so not really experienced there, but nothing special. M&M is IMO much better.

M&M may definitely be the best for pizza, but the service has gone downhill...as has the attitude of Mrs M&M herself...doesn't mean I won't go back for pizza, though. I've had good experiences with Modena, and will continue to stop in there from time to time.

Just a comment on farang food restaurants in general in Thailand, how fricking hard is it to get the staff to bring the appetizers first, or everyones food at the same time, or drink refills when you're finished. or an offer if you'd like anything else or the check when everyones plates are cleared, etc. etc. etc.

Even the long-standing restaurants can't seem to get this right.

Edited by BillR

Just a comment on farang food restaurants in general in Thailand, how fricking hard is it to get the staff to bring the appetizers first, or everyones food at the same time, or drink refills when you're finished. or an offer if you'd like anything else or the check when everyones plates are cleared, etc. etc. etc.

Even the long-standing restaurants can't seem to get this right.

Yes, this is one of my pet hates about eating out in Thailand. Just about always one person's food arrives and it's either eat it hot or wait, wait and eat it cold by the time the next person's food arrives. I assume that these small restaurants only have the staff and facilities to make one meal at a time. If I'm having an appetizer then I try and make it very clear that I want that first and the main dish when finished. Rarely makes the slightest bit of difference. Sigh sigh.

A funny.. The guys who run Shakers in Patong experimented with a really decent sandwich bar for a while.. And also had home made ice creams.

So I am in there waiting.. And this guy comes in, looks at the menu, orders some sandwich and says 'for after.. I will have 2 scoops of the such and such ice cream'.. So we all know where this is going :) The girl doesnt even start on the sandwich, but goes straight away and gets his ice cream and serves it to him. Hes baffled and is still polite etc but says "no thanks.. The ice cream is for after".. The girl just smiles and pushes it back at him.. Again "no really.. The ice cream is for desert.. I would like the sandwich first" at which she just puts the ice cream on the table (I guess to let is age gracefully) and walks off..

So I can see him out the corner of my eye.. and he just kind of sighs.. Looks at his melting ice cream.. Picks up his spoon and eats it.. Followed by his sandwich.. :)

We have all had those battles.. Sometimes easier to just adapt than fight it.

M&M may definitely be the best for pizza, but the service has gone downhill...as has the attitude of Mrs M&M herself...doesn't mean I won't go back for pizza, though. I've had good experiences with Modena, and will continue to stop in there from time to time.

Mrs M & M was extremely rude to us just after they move to new place - would not spend 1 baht with her - pizza's were good, but can find similar elsewhere

well, I have thai staff, albeit not as restaurant servers, and they all understand quite easily the (western I guess) concept of getting appetizers first, food all together same time, more drinks when your finished without having to get up and walk over to the server picking their nose to ask. I won't mention names but they've been said in this thread that have almost too much staff, including kitchen staff and they are all basically brain dead or something. Its a very simple concept.

I tried the Sandwich Shoppe on Wednesday for breakfast. I was there 4 years ago and was not impressed. Thought I would give Woody another chance.

Great ambience, great selection of breads and muffins, etc.

My only complaint is that the three of us (two of MY guests) sat at the table. For 15 minutes. Finally I got up and asked when can we be served. The girl behind the counter put a blue and a pink order sheet on the counter and walked away.

Now, why not tell us, somewhow, that we must get our asses up and order at the counter? No signs that points us to that counter. The two girls just looked at us for those 15 minutes, while serving others, or chatting by the sub breads. Not once were we told anything.

All three plates arrived together. A first in Thailand.

Will go back again now that I know the system, that I had to learn the hard way.

I dont go to woody's enough..its a good selection there...stay away from the nieghbours at wine connection though...the bill takes so long to come i was ready to tell the moronic staff how much i had to pay, by using some simple mental calculations and a glance at the menu.

Edited by snamos

I dont go to woody's enough..its a good selection there...stay away from the nieghbours at wine connection though...the bill takes so long to come i was ready to tell the moronic staff how much i had to pay, by using some simple mental calculations and a glance at the menu.

While I agree the service at Wine connection is usually not very good, they do have good food at reasonable price.

just had food at Fattys, the food took 40 minutes but the portion was huge (biggest portion in phuket?) and good!

However, there was no table available throughout the food there.. i guess you soon need to call and reserve a table.. :blink:

just had food at Fattys, the food took 40 minutes but the portion was huge (biggest portion in phuket?) and good!

However, there was no table available throughout the food there.. i guess you soon need to call and reserve a table.. :blink:

Or be there 6PM sharp then you will have a change, that’s what i do :) there must be a reason why it’s full every night

While I agree the service at Wine connection is usually not very good, they do have good food at reasonable price.

dont agree at all, i think Vine C is a very good place, and i have never waited long for my bill, i go there around 2 times a week when i am home

Kallot is way better than Breakfast hut, have been in the hut 4 times, and not near as good, will stay with kallot, try the baguette with Cumberland sausage :)

Kallot's got the worst thai food I have eaten in Phuket. I ate cashew nuts with chicken and another dish, and they were both barely edible.

Talking of Nikitas ,had the worst crab cakes I;ve ever had on Phuket there recently;

didn't taste any crab at all.

And too many people smoking while we ate.

Nikitas has the worst food in Rawaii and allways has...even when they stopped using Bahn Rimlay food and started their own kitchen it sucks. The Pizza's are low the pies are tortured...( i dont know how you can ruin a "lady pie" but they manage it there) there is not one tasty falung dish...the Thai is passable but its slow to arrive....But in saying that im down there at least 3 times a week for the real cold beer and the great view. The staff are nice and friendly too

good post i agree 100% nice girls nice place but you pay for the view not the horrible food and slooooow service..

Kallot is way better than Breakfast hut, have been in the hut 4 times, and not near as good, will stay with kallot, try the baguette with Cumberland sausage :)

Kallot's got the worst thai food I have eaten in Phuket. I ate cashew nuts with chicken and another dish, and they were both barely edible.

I've noticed a slip in Kallots as well, must be new cook or something not sure....

Had to send my breakfast back last time scrambled eggs looked like they were cooked 1/2 hour ago and re heated.....

they did give me two proper fried eggs in there place but had eaten everything else by the time my eggs arrived...

Maybe should give Modena another try, because M&M, while consistent and not bad at all, IMO does not even come close. I have to say that I think his pizza improved quite a bit from the first one or two times I've eaten there. In the last few months it has always been awesome, honestly.

I tried the Sandwich Shoppe on Wednesday for breakfast. I was there 4 years ago and was not impressed. Thought I would give Woody another chance.

Great ambience, great selection of breads and muffins, etc.

My only complaint is that the three of us (two of MY guests) sat at the table. For 15 minutes. Finally I got up and asked when can we be served. The girl behind the counter put a blue and a pink order sheet on the counter and walked away.

Now, why not tell us, somewhow, that we must get our asses up and order at the counter? No signs that points us to that counter. The two girls just looked at us for those 15 minutes, while serving others, or chatting by the sub breads. Not once were we told anything.

All three plates arrived together. A first in Thailand.

Will go back again now that I know the system, that I had to learn the hard way.

So,let's make this clear.... you sat for 15 minutes...watching everyone else order at the counter... using blue/pink/green/yellow coloured slips ....and you didn't work out on your own or collectively that you might have to order at the counter?

Muppets, pure muppets.

Hey Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore.

^ yeah its blatantly obvious what your suppose to do, The main menu is on the wall, there is a counter with a cash register with the order slips and pens. It would be like walking into starbucks and sitting down and wondering why you got no coffeewhistling.gif