Eight-Year-Old Thai Girl Killed, Another Hurt In New Year Party Shootings

webfact

Eight-year-old girl killed, another hurt in 'party' shootings

By The Nation

Joyful celebrations were marred by two shootings during the countdown to the New Year. One young girl was killed and another injured in separate incidents in Ratchaburi and Yala.

In Ratchaburi's Muang district, Kanyarat Wanthong, 8, was hit in the head by a bullet while sleeping at home. She died instantly after pistols were fired by people drinking in her neighbourhood.

Kanyarat's family has held a funeral for the girl, a third grader, but have vowed to not cremate her body until the gunman is arrested.

Police are seeking a group of revellers and owner of the pistol that fired the 11mm bullet found in the girl's body The community is a small one and

police say they are making good progress in questioning witnesses to the fatal shooting.

In Yala, Nee-iftinah Kueji, 6, was also wounded in the head after a bullet fired by people celebrating the countdown to Saturday morning came through the roof of a house. The girl is recovering in hospital but no details have been given about her condition.

Yala police said serious measures would be taken against people firing guns while celebrating.

"It's difficult to locate a shooter, because there were many shots fired during the countdown period and we don't know where the bullet came from," Yala police chief Colonel Piyawat Chalermsri said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-03

I think there's a message in there somewhere - duh, ummm, oh yeah, here it is: DON'T FIRE GUNS IN PUBLIC!

Actually, the message is, don't let the public own guns.

So then only the 'outlaws' have guns, huh, makes alot of sense. Been shooting since the age of 6, and I have 'good gun control' believe me!

"It's difficult to locate a shooter, because there were many shots fired during the countdown period and we don't know where the bullet came from," Yala police chief Colonel Piyawat Chalermsri said.

Nonsense !... they know what kind of bullet and therefore what weapon, then they can find out the range which gives an area to search and with ballistics they can match bullet to gun. Not exactly rocket science is it.

So sad that this happens, sincere condolences to the family.

I think there's a message in there somewhere - duh, ummm, oh yeah, here it is: DON'T FIRE GUNS IN PUBLIC!

So then only the 'outlaws' have guns, huh, makes alot of sense. Been shooting since the age of 6, and I have 'good gun control' believe me!

Just a wild stab in the dark, but would you be an American?

See if you can understand this...... Outlaws are members of the public too, members of the public that break the law. The only people in any country that should carry a gun are specially trained, mentally well adjusted members of a force designed to uphold the law, and they should not be allowed to carry them 24/7, only when someone who shouldn't have one is spotted being up to nefarious activities.

It would save many lives, or is the right to bear arms more important than the odd accidental death of a child.

Would you have "good gun control" if drunk? I don't think so, believe me!

Guys, come on..... don't worry..... measures have been taken to ban alcohol on national parks..... these people (authorities) have priotities you know..... what could be more important - protecting children an innocent people and bringing those responsible for this really isn't important in the bigger scheme of things compared to the atrocity of a few students getting pissed in a national park...... (for anyone that didn't recognise it, that is heavily loaded with sarcasm).

Its absolutely not funny, but if you don't laugh at the prospect of trying to ban guns, then I'm afraid we might all be insane........

No, it is not.

It is that while the world has many morons, we cannot forbid everyone from buying guns/cars/knifes in the event that someone might, someday, misuse it. We can however clearly inform that driving safe, not drinking, not shooting guns in public during parties, not juggle with knifes around kids, is points to remember. And strictly punish those that fail on these points by endangering or hurting others.

Just a wild stab in the dark, but would you be an American?

See if you can understand this...... Outlaws are members of the public too, members of the public that break the law. The only people in any country that should carry a gun are specially trained, mentally well adjusted members of a force designed to uphold the law, and they should not be allowed to carry them 24/7, only when someone who shouldn't have one is spotted being up to nefarious activities.

It would save many lives, or is the right to bear arms more important than the odd accidental death of a child.

You fail at logic.

If you ban all guns, except from 'specially trained, mentally well adjusted members of a [police] force' and 'not be allowed to carry them 24/7', then you would end up with criminals that might carry weapons [24/7] and a police-force that have to travel to a safe-vault to get guns to react to any crime involving guns...guaranteeing that any armed criminal would be long gun when police arrive and any home owner would always be defenseless - something every criminal would know and could count on.

Great plan, are you running for office in the UK?

Nope, are you running for head of the red-necks?

I'll rephrase the question for you.

Is the right to bear arms more important than the life of an innocent child?

A simple yes or no will do, no need to pontificate.

Nope, are you running for head of the red-necks?

I'll rephrase the question for you.

A simple yes or no will do, no need to pontificate.

Answer: Yes.

If you think differently then surely you are for banning all cars, pillows, kitchen-knifes and bathtubs?

I mean, you surely know the amount of murders and accidents that are carried out and killing kids each year using these?

Multiple firearms in every single household in our family and no one is ever out shooting in the air. It's not the gun (I also own some pretty dangerous welding equipment, a couple of band saws, and a bunch of power drills...), it's the idiots.

:)

Yes.

Well, there you go..... please don't come anywhere near my friends or family (even the ones I don't like)

I think I'll go outside now and threaten someone with a bathtub. Logic, you haven't got a clue.

Yes.

Well, there you go..... please don't come anywhere near my friends or family (even the ones I don't like)

I think I'll go outside now and threaten someone with a bathtub. Logic, you haven't got a clue.

You have no use of logic since you don't use it.

Let us hope you don't get run over by a car when you go outside.

Yes.

I asked you a simple question, you gave a simple answer, and that one word answer says more about you and your fake caring attitude than any number of your previous posts, your attempt to now deflect it with some huff huff guffaw is rather pathetic.

I asked you a simple question, you gave a simple answer, and that one word answer says more about you and your fake caring attitude than any number of your previous posts, your attempt to now deflect it with some huff huff guffaw is rather pathetic.

And your over-simplification to be able to smear someone on a topic you neither understand nor realize can be applied to a wide range of items says more about you than you know.

Have you written your MP to ban cars or knifes yet?

And your over-simplification to be able to smear someone on a topic you neither understand nor realize can be applied to a wide range of items says more about you than you know.

No, but he's probably of a sensible group that realises that people need cars for transport & SHOULD be licenced to drive them. Its a major form of transportation in the world, yet Im not sure anyone has ever used a firearm for transport.

In many places its already illegal to carry a knife as you move about the place, but how could anyone get through life without a knife :rolleyes: .

He also apparently can see that the amount of people that need to 'carry' guns about the place is limited & that strict laws can probably control those who want to possess them for other reasons.

SADLY, theres a good example of gun laws & their restriction in Australia (legislation that was created after the port arthur massacre) & its done LITTLE to keep the firearms out of the hands of the criminals. Some studies suggest that it has reduced the number of incidents of accidently shootings (from firearms being too readily available).

If bad people want guns, they will always get them, or make them. Controlling firearms is the best way, I could never understand how its done in the USA & havent they ever managed to work out this is probably the reason why so many of their Police officers get killed, every second nut case is walking around with a shooter on his hip. Bit like Thailand. :crazy:

Ban

Ban the use of guns, U.S.A. example, situation rediculous, I have one to defend myself from another who has one. Tawp-my English teacher, who doubts if I am able to write a proper letter----HERE you wrote --knifes---isn,t it KNIVES Ha Ha.