Viktor Bout Says Comparing Thai And US Jails Is Like Comparing A Zoo And A Mental Hospital

webfact

Viktor Bout tells RIA Novosti of his life in American jail

Suspected Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, extradited from Thailand to the United States in mid-November, has given an interview to RIA Novosti.

Former Russian armed forces officer Bout was arrested in Thailand in March 2008 during a sting operation led by U.S. agents and extradited to the United States after spending more than two and half years in Thai prisons. The charges against him include conspiring to supply arms to terrorist groups and kill U.S. nationals. Bout denies all charges.

The next hearing in the case of the former Russian officer, dubbed the Merchant of Death by global media, will be held on January 10. Bout could face from 25 years to life behind bars if convicted of all four charges against him.

As Bout is kept in a New York pre-trial detention center, only lawyers and officials from the Russian Consulate can visit him, with other contacts prohibited. RIA Novosti correspondent Dmitry Gornostayev handed a list of questions to Bout and received answers via Russian Vice Consul Alexander Otchainov.

The text of the interview is below:

Q: Viktor, when did you realize that you would be extradited to the United States from Thailand and the extradition is irreversible?

A: This occurred on November 16, 17:30 local time. I was taken out of my cell on the pretext of being transferred to a new cell. I saw many police cars in the jail's yard, though cars never drove in there earlier. I saw many DEA [u.S. Drug Enforcement Administration] officers in jackets with badges. That's when I got it that my extradition will happen now.

The Thais brought me to the airport and changed my clothes in a separate room. Then I was handed over to U.S. agents.

Q: In September you had a similar situation when you were nearly transferred to the United States. What was the difference between these two situations?

A: In September the jail chief refused to extradite me without a warrant. A scandal triggered by the fact that an aide to the Thai prime minister had visited me unfolded in the Thai parliament. The scandal drew public attention to my case and my lawyers managed to prove that extradition was illegal at the time, which the Prosecutor's Office also announced then.

This time, everything was carried out without any documents at all. There were no legal differences from the September situation: the court was still considering my protest and appeal filed by my defense. In other words, the legal procedure was still underway and, in line with the law, no one had the right to take me out of the country.

Moreover, my lawyer told me via his U.S. colleagues that from the viewpoint of the Thai court, I am still in Thailand: the [Thai] Court of Appeal recently set for hearing another appeal filed by my defense.

I am sure that my extradition violated both Thai and international legal norms.

Q: You've told Russian Consulate employees that during the flight from Bangkok to New York, Americans were trying to force you to confess things you had not done. What did they offer and what did you respond?

A: They offered a milder sentence, a shorter term and an opportunity to bring my family to the United States in case I tell them everything I know about my ties in Russia and other countries. But I responded that I have nothing to tell them: I know nothing about the things they took interest in.

Q: Does the pressure continue? How does the jail administration treat you?

A: There have been no interrogations; the administration behaves in an impartial manner. Nothing that could be interpreted as pressure.

Q: What is the difference between the confinement conditions in the Thai and U.S. jails?

A: It's like comparing a zoo and a mental hospital. In Thailand inmates are kept in cages in relatively fresh air and treated like animals. In the United States they are treated like highly dangerous lunatics. Total control of each movement. No sunlight, air or sky. Nothing of the kind. [More...]

Interview continues: http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20110103/162030530.html

-- RIA Novosti 2011-01-03

footer_n.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For his time in Thailand, he seems very unappreciative of the extremely beneficial Bang Kwang Obesity Reduction Program:

Hopefully, when he reaches the American prison system, he won't lose the benefits he achieved here while participating in the dramatic and hugely beneficial obesity-reduction program employed by the Thailand penal system. :thumbsup:

BEFORE (upon arrest):

beforee.jpg

AFTER (Aug. 20):

afterw.jpg

Still continuing to shed those unwanted pounds on Oct. 5 using the effective Bang Kwang Obesity Reduction Program:

r1848214063.jpg

For his time in Thailand, he seems very unappreciative of the extremely beneficial Bang Kwang Obesity Reduction Program:

So his comparison was wrong. Zoos feed their animals better than Thai prisons.

oops... I had forgotten about a later post I had made to the above.

It would seem that Thai zoos feed their animals better than Alla Bout feeds her husband...

It would seem I've erred by ascribing Viktor's tremendous weight loss to the Bang Kwang Obesity Reduction Program. As it turns out, the credit would seem to go to the Alla Bout I Cook Food So Badly People Lose 40 Kilos Eating It Program.

In a telephone interview from Bangkok, Bout's wife said she had arrived at the prison Tuesday for her daily meeting with her husband, but was met at the gate by the warden, who told her Bout was on his way to the United States. She was carrying the lunch she made for him because Bout only ate the food she cooked for him.

Read more: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/11/16/1724937/russian-leaders-protest-after.html#ixzz15Yh1VsRS

Q: Are you afraid of the trial in the United States or do you hope it would set everything straight?

A: I believe the trial will definitely be biased and nonobjective. By saying this, I am proceeding from the fact that the U.S. government deliberately distorted facts about my life and work in the text of its charges. Information about me contained there is based on unverified data, rumors, misunderstandings and blatant lies.

For 10 years the government bodies of the United States have directly and through media been waging a war against me and my family. Streams of lies have been poured on us. In these conditions, no one here - including the judges - can be unbiased.

Only a thorough analysis of what's happening can help an American brainwashed in this manner learn the truth about the situation. But this requires effort. I am not sure anyone here would want to make this effort, though actually everything is rather simple. For example: what was posted on the Wikileaks website unambiguously proves the political nature of my case.

I think the American court will not try to sort out the actual objective side of the matter, as the practice of considering cases when foreigners are accused of a conspiracy against the United States shows that such charges automatically mean guilt.

Indeed, it highlighted steps the Americans took to put pressure and requests to have Potus call the PM etc.

Q: What do you miss most now?

A: I'm missing books, communication with my relatives, hot tea. Only warm water is available in jail, so there's no way to make tea. I am a vegetarian so I need a lot of fruit and vegetables. Here I can only have one or two apples a day. I can buy some food in the jail shop, but not what I actually need.

No vegetarian alternative then?

Well, as one who has never been in jail in the US, Thailand, or anywhere, I find his comments about the differences quite interesting. Obviously a very intelligent man. I hope he gets a fair trial, etc.

To be fair let’s put all of the arm dealers who create misery for people especially the poor behind the bar. Let’s go after Chaney and Bush and others after Bout

Well, as one who has never been in jail in the US, Thailand, or anywhere, I find his comments about the differences quite interesting. Obviously a very intelligent man. I hope he gets a fair trial, etc.

To be fair let's put all of the arm dealers who create misery for people especially the poor behind the bar. Let's go after Chaney and Bush and others after Bout

You forgot Rumsfield.

:offtopic:The pictures don't exactly make him look like a poster boy for Vegetarians. I thought they were supposed to look fit not fat.

I have worked in jails in the states plus have had a family member incarcerated. State jails and prisons are no fun, but medium, low and minimum security federal "correctional institutions" in the states like where Bout is are entirely different. They call them. "Club Feds" They are more a campus than a prison. They have dinning halls, TV room for each race, libraries, computer centers, sports programs, fitness centers, music centers, pool tables, minimarts, (expect Bout to gain his weight back), community colleges and other education programs. The cubicles don't even have doors. Bout is certainly enjoying his day to day existence a hell of alot more than he was in Thailand. The problem he has with the US jail is he is likely going to spend the next 2 decades there.

He has one other thing he has to worry about. There are 4 types of people other inmates will kill or assault to gain cred. Child/women abusers, snitchs, cops, and terrorists.

The newspaper didn't offer a comparison to the typical over crowded filthy Russian prison. Too bad as it would have put it in perspective for the Russian reader, particularly the absence of health care in a Russian or Thai prison and the access extended in the U.S. federal system.

I respect Mr. Bout's vegetarianism but he is not being truthful in his statements. The U.S. Federal penitentiary system makes allowances for vegetarians because it satisfies the most number of religious and health requirements.

He is in solitary for his own protection. His attorneys can visit regularly as can his family if they so wish.

I like the subtle hint about his non co-operation. Feeling the heat methinks.

I have worked in jails in the states plus have had a family member incarcerated. State jails and prisons are no fun, but medium, low and minimum security federal "correctional institutions" in the states like where Bout is are entirely different. They call them. "Club Feds" They are more a campus than a prison. They have dinning halls, TV room for each race, libraries, computer centers, sports programs, fitness centers, music centers, pool tables, minimarts, (expect Bout to gain his weight back), community colleges and other education programs. The cubicles don't even have doors. Bout is certainly enjoying his day to day existence a hell of alot more than he was in Thailand. The problem he has with the US jail is he is likely going to spend the next 2 decades there.

He has one other thing he has to worry about. There are 4 types of people other inmates will kill or assault to gain cred. Child/women abusers, snitchs, cops, and terrorists.

He is in Federal Detention center and being held before trial. Pre & Post convicted prisoners are not housed together and pre-sentenced inmates are all classified as high risk or in his case super high risk.

Even when he is sentenced he is not going to a miniumum, medium or maximum security housing but will be in SuperMax (at least until he has served a good chunk of his time and is not a flight risk). In all actuality he will spend his days in a supermax facility where he will find himself locked in a cell 23 hours of each day for just about his entire prison sentence, if not the rest of his life.

Edited by Nisa

He is in Federal Detention center and being held before trial. Pre & Post convicted prisoners are not housed together and pre-sentenced inmates are all classified as high risk or in his case super high risk.

Even when he is sentenced he is not going to a miniumum, medium or maximum security housing but will be in SuperMax (at least until he has served a good chunk of his time and is not a flight risk). In all actuality he will spend his days in a supermax facility where he will find himself locked in a cell 23 hours of each day for just about his entire prison sentence, if not the rest of his life.

So no chance of a not guilty verdict then!, You have to admire Americans and their justice system.

No wonder they got a paddy on when the Scots let the Lockerbie bomber free!.

So no chance of a not guilty verdict then!, You have to admire Americans and their justice system.

Even thoough the vast majority of those arrested are eventually sentenced, I should have used the word "if" instead of "when". I also took the liberty of assuming that if convicted (or he pleads) that it will be to at least some of the serious charges he is facing. I just assumed these things were all obvious because every adult in America understands their system is based on the principle "Innocent until proven guilty" (presumption of innocence) .. In the future I will try not to assume an obvious and be more careful so that you or other readers don't get confused or make illogical assumptions of an entire society.

Edited by Nisa

Even thoough the vast majority of those arrested are eventually sentenced, I should have used the word "if" instead of "when". I also took the liberty of assuming that if convicted (or he pleads) that it will be to at least some of the serious charges he is facing. I just assumed these things were all obvious because every adult in America understands their system is based on the principle "Innocent until proven guilty" (presumption of innocence) .. In the future I will try not to assume an obvious and be more careful so that you or other readers don't get confused or make illogical assumptions of an entire society.

Dont get your knickers in a twist "damage control desk". We never do that!

Tiger

I have to agree with you for the most part. I have been charged two times in the USA and only plead guilty on a salmon fishing violation. The fine was less that another day off work would have been, so I was guilty of a misdemeanor. Several years later I had to pay a bit more to get the "conviction" expunged from my record, even though it was an honest mistake. I bought the wrong type of hook, whoops... I should have fought that case as well in retrospect. The other charge I represented myself and won the case... But we have all seen how money can buy "justice" in the US. It bought OJ Simpson freedom for quite sometime, until his arrogance finally put him away, at least for a while....smile.gif

Some jails certainly do mix those awaiting or currently at trial and those already sentenced. And at least in California (at least in the county I worked) the feds often have a contract to house inmates in county jail during this time. Concerning post conviction incarceration (assuming there is one) you may be right. He is kind of in a unique classification. Although terrorism are the charges, I doubt he will be perceived as a terrorist by other inmates. More of an entrepreneur who sells guns to drug dealers, among others, and US federal prisons are packed full of drug dealers. He may still, for his own protection, be kept in what inmates refer to as "the hole," also called the SHU, (special housing unit), or "AdSeg" (administrative segregation) or PC (protective custody). Even in PC/AdSeg he may be allowed to mix with other inmates also in PC/AdSeg. Depending on how the jail/prison operates thier PC/AdSeg, he may not have to spend 23 hours a day in his cell. He may eventually work his way down to medium or low, but I wouldn't imagine he would ever qualify for a minimum, which doesn't even have fences.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Viktor Bout has been taken to a temporary detention centre for white-collar criminals in Manhattan after his extradition from Thailand....

Experts say that the Manhattan detention facility where Bout was taken is a prison for white-collar criminals – people from business, medicine, legal backgrounds and educated mafia bosses, RIA Novosti reported.

Disgraced financier Bernie Madoff and the head of Gambino mafia clan John Gotti will be among Bout’s neighbours.

Prisoners are kept in double cells, and are fed mostly American hamburgers, the same as the guards. The prison has a library with books, magazines and computers, but no internet access.

That doesn't sound like supermax to me. :)

Source: The Moscow News: Viktor Bout taken to New York prison

It is okay for the U.S. to furnish arms to rebel groups, aka freedom fighters, trying to overthrow anti-American governments. However, when people like Bout supply weapons to those unsympathetic to U.S. interests they are called gunrunners or illegal arms dealers. Unfortunately Bout wasn't selling arms to customers on the "approved buyers list"

It is okay for the U.S. to furnish arms to rebel groups, aka freedom fighters, trying to overthrow anti-American governments. However, when people like Bout supply weapons to those unsympathetic to U.S. interests they are called gunrunners or illegal arms dealers. Unfortunately Bout wasn't selling arms to customers on the "approved buyers list"

These kind of feel good shoot from the hip UI comments come up in every Bout thread. I won't defend some actions of my government, especially those of the previous administration, but it's not that simple. Watch the interview I posted above. His agenda was money. Bout was selling to both sides of African civil wars. Mass civilian murders, mass rapes, the severing of limbs of women and children could be exactly timed and predicted with delivery of Bouts arms. The US wasn't the only one after him. He has also been charged in Belgium and the Central African Republic. He was a main supplier of arms to Charles G. Taylor who is currently detained at the Hague in Netherlands on war crimes. Bout deserves what he gets, but I won't disagree with you one one thing, some US officials deserve something similar.

To be fair let’s put all of the arm dealers who create misery for people especially the poor behind the bar. Let’s go after Chaney and Bush and others after Bout

Sure, then after that, you need to go after the entire EU. The EU as a whole is the largest arms dealer. Larger than the US. You probably didn't know that did you??? And in addition to Bush/Cheney, don't forget the Boy Wonder BO...he's no different than Bush. I just love The Most Sancrosanct of the All High Moralists in the EU...especially when it is discovered they aren't any better than anyone else.

There are dramatic differences in US jails. The type of jail he is in is a pre-trial holding cell. And given his "celebrity" status, US officials are isolating him to a near-complete extent, hence Bout's reference to being treated like a "lunatic"; very sterile, secure, bland, isolated. Now, if he was say in a typical State penitentiary somewhere, like in very liberal CA, Mr. Bout could look forward to getting an unexpected rear entrance while bending over in the group showers, work detail, getting beat up by other inmates if he didn't follow their rules, etc. If he was in a typical Federal prison, he would have it the best. Unless they stick him in one of the "Super Max" prisons; reserved for convicted terrorists and the more heinous of criminals. These places have been called by former wardens as "clean versions of hell". Near total and complete isolation and extreme daily routine regimentation. No beatings by other inmates or guards, just extreme isolation and boredom. Food in US jails is by far better than many other countries. No comparison with Thai jails which will try to starve someone to death. And there is basic, adequate medical care in most US jails. As far as getting a fair trial, that depends on how much money he has to spend and how much media attention his trial gets.

Fat Boy Viktor claiming to be a vegetarian??? Yeah, right. From photos of him at his initial arrest in Thailand, Vik baby looks like he eats not only meat, but the entire cow itself...Those who expect forms of specialized treatment i.e. foods, etc. in a jail anywhere are dreaming. If inmates don't like the food, so long as it is not rotten, putrid, etc., then let them starve; they are not in a hotel. The notion that any jail anywhere needs to provide certain foods to accomodate one's eating preferences be they religious, personal choice, etc. is nonsense. Viktor baby is just trying to stir up some sympathy.

I also might add that in many US jails, an inmate can get a decent education, if they are dedicated enough to study on their own and make use of prison libraries, etc. Some inmates have been known to learn enough while in prison to conduct their own legal appeals, etc. The biggest danger in many prisons in the US are the other inmates, and those other inmates can be quite deadly. US jails tend to have their own "jailhouse justice" systems conducted by the inmates. Be a convicted child molester, and you won't last long in a US jail. Inmates have access to exercise equipment in most jails, TV's, radios, sometimes the internet, etc. Jails in places like Canada and perhaps the EU, inmates have it the best; I would say TOO good.

S.B., Bout should be prosecuted for his actions, but as you imply nothing happens to high level officials who are responsible for similar activities through covert operations where the same type of atrocities occur.

Who armed the Taliban during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan? A good example of a failed

policy.

I am retired U.S. military and am far from being an apologist for scum like Bout.

The SuperMax prisons in the United States are an abomination as used, and are unworthy of a civilized nation.

In the words of our Thai hosts, they are "same same but different" to Soviet Gulags. Designed to inflict maximum (non-physical) punishment. They were originally conceived as a solution to incorrigible, violent prisoners who were a danger to staff and other inmates due to life sentences without parole.

They are currently used as a "special punishment" for those the Government is really, really determined to mess with. I'm sure they are a very effective bargaining chip when the Government sits down to deal but this is a perversion of their purpose.

There have been "insider" (read staff) reports that many inmates are driven insane by the regimen of near-total isolation. Man in the Iron Mask springs to mind.